BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > DIY Guides/ Discussions

11-25-2013, 02:43 PM   #1
ChrisIncog
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Black E92 M3

Post BMW E92 Boot Installation Guide | Carbon Fibre CSL Duck Tail Trunk | CF-Dynamics

This is a quick “How To” guide for installing a new boot / trunk on a BMW E92.

In this case we have my 57plate BMW E92 M3 and a carbon fibre CSL style boot.

• Before & After Photo’s
• Un-boxing the package
• Installation Guide with photo’s

Here are a few before a after pictures. And if your interested the boot was purchased from www.cf-dynamics.de for €589.00 which came to £500.20 delivered. This is the first modification and forum post for my M3, I have bought from these guys in the past back when I had an Audi.

Un-boxing

It’s probably best that I start by saying the delivery time was about 5 days which I think was pretty good considering it’s a big box coming all the was from Germany to the UK. If your reading this in the USA you should probably expect a bit longer.

CF-Dynamics is a German company and website but the manager there speaks very good English if you need to contact them. They sell a few different styles but here is the link to the boot which I bought: http://www.cf-dynamics.de/bmw-3er-e9...eckdeckel.html It’s also worth mentioning that they do they same boot for convertibles.

I’m always worried when buy delicate objects such a Carbon Fibre, but these guys always make a point of packaging there products properly! It came in a massive box, fully supported with foam, bubble wrap and each corner of the boot had foam shaped caps. Here is the unpacking shot:

Installation

Here is where I started: The standard boot has some plastic rivets holding on the interior boot lining. These can be pried off with a flathead or anything you can get under there.

Now that it’s off you can see the boot, it’s pretty simple. Next we need to unplug anything that is stopping us from taking the boot off its hinges.

As you can see at the bottom right hand side of the boot there is a nice flexible tube which has all of the wires from the boot leading into the car. The problem is this is going up indie of the metal skin of the boot. So we have to unplug all of the lights and locking bits to then pull the wires out of that hole. Once this is done, the boot will be free to unbolt from the hinges.

Try and unplug as many bits as you can, if you have big hands like me just unbolt the tail lights and unplug them while they are hanging off the car.

Tail Lights have one bolt holding each of them on. The number plate lights just un clip with a flat head.

Once you have realest all of the wires you can pull them through the boot.

Time for the fun bit, unbolt the hinges! Loosen the top bolts and then take the bottom bolts off. You can then lift the boot off, I put some of the packaging on my rear window just in case I slipped.

Here are the two boots next to each other, they look pretty much the same. Now the boot is off you have a few bits to switch over, this is best done off the car to make it easier. There is a lock, key hole, handle button, and the lights.

There are a few bits which I needed to slightly file back in order to get a snug fit. Luckily all these bits are hidden, for example the hole for the lock, lights and number plate lights.

From here it’s easy, just lift the boot onto the car and tighten the bolts. Here is the first time I got the boot on. Maybe it was beginners luck but it fit pretty well, the gaps all look good. Don’t forget to plug all of the lights and lock back in.

There was one adjustment I made, I found myself having to slam the boot to get it to shut. So to fix this, just loosen the boot latch and move it up a bit, this will make it easier to meet the lock and no need to slam it.

The Finished result:

I have to say the quality of the carbon fibre is very high, the weave is perfect. I would recommend buying from www.cf-dynamics.de They do a lot of other carbon fibre bits like lips and grills. If you have having trouble browsing there site, just use Google Chrome, it translates the website for you. Or you can just email them, they will respond in English.

My question to you! To Paint or Not to Paint?

Last edited by ChrisIncog; 11-27-2013 at 03:09 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-25-2013, 02:48 PM   #2
ChrisIncog
United Kingdom
Rep

I'm not very good at taking pictures of the carbon fibre weave, here are two from the website i bought it from. The weave it's self is clean, no imperfections but it is slightly larger than the OEM carbon roof (i quite like a larger weave anyway).

Last edited by ChrisIncog; 11-25-2013 at 02:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 03:42 AM   #3
teachmeluv
Registered
Rep
Drives: E92 M3 Coupé

WOW! Good job, Dude!

That duck tail gives your car a more racy appearence. Really, really like it :-)
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
ChrisIncog
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by teachmeluv View Post
WOW! Good job, Dude!

That duck tail gives your car a more racy appearence. Really, really like it :-)
Thanks man. I'm new to BMW, i'v always had Audi's which don't have very aggressive body styling. So the second i got a bimmer I new this would be my first mod. I think i might also order a front lip from the same company (cf-dynamics) at some point as i really like the quality and size of the weave.
      04-14-2014, 12:08 PM   #5
tinnsoldaten
Captain
Norway
Rep
Drives: e92 335i coupe

Some details on the lock please ?

How did u get it off ?

Never mind , I found the detail about the plastic screw thats needs loosen and the "pin" to lift to allow for the plastic screw to move.
Vargas S2 turbos|VAC S3 Cylinder head|RR DPs|RR MPs|Supersprint X pipe|Remus Quad Sport mufflers|aFe Stage 2 Si with scoops|Forge DVs|ER CP|BMS meth elbow|Aquamist HFS-4|Walbro 450 E85 LPFP|AA FMIC|BMS OCC|MHD|P3 Boost Gauge|Ohlins Road & Track + camberplates|M3 sways F/R+ Ground control endlinks|Vorsteiner v303 19"|Michelin PS2 sport|Quaife LSD|Vorsteiner V35 CF hood|CF CLS trunk|Duke Dynamics quad diffusor

Last edited by tinnsoldaten; 04-14-2014 at 12:35 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2014, 04:39 PM   #6
ATTN
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: 335 E92 DCT

Garage List
2009 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Great DIY i will be doing this shortly on my 335
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2015, 05:01 PM   #7
ArthurL
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 6MT (E93)

Do you think this DIY is similar for an E93?
Appreciate 0