F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Car Buying: Is This a Scam?
proTUNING Freaks

09-16-2008, 10:39 PM   #1
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '13 AW E92 M3

Car Buying: Is This a Scam?

At the beginning of my search, I couldn't believe what I saw.

A 2004 BMW M3 for $5,600 rolled for just 13k miles. "Yeah, it's a scam I thought" until I got involved with the seller over email. I need your guys' experience with online car buying. The following is the email conversation I had with the seller. I removed some parts to retain both of our privacy.

Quote:
SELLER
Hello,

First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. I am selling it at this price
($5,600) because I just finished the divorce with my husband. When the divorce finished, the car was registered under my name. Now as a woman I don't need it. This car is in excellent working condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title.
From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services. We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account for $20,000. The final price that I want for this car is $5,600 including shipping and handling.
If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.
I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon.
Thank you

ME
Hi,

Thanks for the response. I noticed that you removed the AutoTrader ad - I was hoping to use them as reference. But nonetheless, a VIN # is needed before I can get through to anything.

Thanks!

SELLER
Hi,
Nice to see that you’re still interested in buying. The car is already under ebay's custody, at a shipping company in California. The VIN# is : WBSBL93494J612435.
If we reach an agreement, the car will be delivered directly to your address.
It will be shipped by truck and it will take about 5-6 days to reach your address.
To speed up the process I’m telling you in advance that for payment we should use eBay's security for such transactions.
The transaction will be fully under eBay's surveillance, giving us both security and insurance that nothing will go wrong. They will be the 3rd objective party involved in the transaction. This way you will actually pay for the car after you will receive and test it, because eBay will hold the funds in an escrow account and release it to me only after you accept and confirm the delivery.After the car reaches your address you will have 5 days to see and test it. Within this period you have to decide if you purchase it or not.
If you decide to take it you will have to contact eBay and let them know that, so they can release the payment to me. If you won't like it you will have to ship it back to me within the 7 days and eBay will refund you. The shipping back will be done on my own expense, but I am sure this will not be the case.
To start the transaction with eBay, I will need the following details in order:
Full name:
Address:
Phone number:

Best regards
TLDR: Seller explains why the price is low: divorced, does not need car as she is a she...
Wants to pay over eBay using Escrow services
Car is "under eBay's custody" and at a shipping company in California
Offered to send car straight to me at no expense, if I like it, I pay for it and deal is over, but if I don't like it, I send it back to her at her own expense.

Sounds fishy to me, but Escrow seems to be very reputable. The only thing I don't get was that the car was listed to be in Blaine, WA, but the car itself is in California?

Should I go for it, or by your experience, what will happen if I take the offer to "test" the car?

I also checked the VIN # she provided me, but because I don't have full access to CarFax, all I know is that the VIN belongs to a 2004 BMW M3, as described, and that there are 9 records listed. I plan to get CarFax access soon if YOU let me follow in.

Thanks. *Flamesuit activated*
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 10:53 PM   #2
ronushi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a maniac

typical scam... dont even go there at all... she will ask for an account of yours, this is one of those nigerian scams... dont be stupid like some people who fell for this kinda of s*it
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:02 PM   #3
FallBlau
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335xi

total bs. don't even waste your time.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:20 PM   #4
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

Prolly a scam but if it's in socal I'll check it out
      09-16-2008, 11:33 PM   #5
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I'm going to check with the DMV for title and registration by requesting through VIN. What if everything matches and it turns out to be true?
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:37 PM   #6
flyinbrian
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Dude this is a total scam.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #7
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWiTCHY View Post
At the beginning of my search, I couldn't believe what I saw.

A 2004 BMW M3 for $5,600 rolled for just 13k miles. "Yeah, it's a scam I thought" until I got involved with the seller over email. I need your guys' experience with online car buying. The following is the email conversation I had with the seller. I removed some parts to retain both of our privacy.

TLDR: Seller explains why the price is low: divorced, does not need car as she is a she...
Wants to pay over eBay using Escrow services
Car is "under eBay's custody" and at a shipping company in California
Offered to send car straight to me at no expense, if I like it, I pay for it and deal is over, but if I don't like it, I send it back to her at her own expense.

Sounds fishy to me, but Escrow seems to be very reputable. The only thing I don't get was that the car was listed to be in Blaine, WA, but the car itself is in California?

Should I go for it, or by your experience, what will happen if I take the offer to "test" the car?

I also checked the VIN # she provided me, but because I don't have full access to CarFax, all I know is that the VIN belongs to a 2004 BMW M3, as described, and that there are 9 records listed. I plan to get CarFax access soon if YOU let me follow in.

Thanks. *Flamesuit activated*
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:50 PM   #8
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I'm curious to find out, and I'm at no risk until I give out personal information. When it comes to the point where she asks for personal information and I am not 100% sure that this is legit, I will withdraw.

In the meantime, I need some advice on what could be done to ensure that this vehicle is in fact: hers, not stolen, has a clean title, etc...

Actually, she has asked for personal information already in her first reply. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #9
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWnator View Post
hahaha wtf
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:53 PM   #10
ronushi
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: like a maniac

tell that bitch to meet face to face. she most likely will say she is overseas. ill bet you that 1000000000000 $$$$
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2008, 11:58 PM   #11
normtrum
Colonel
Rep
Drives: e90 335i, e46 330i

Stop spending anymore time on this....it is a total scam. The fact that she even has your e-mail address is going to far.
      09-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #12
tom_48
BMW Novice
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Coupe

Garage List
2007 M Coupe'  [0.00]
Don't do it!!! It IS A SCAM!!!

First, "she" says that she is after a divorce and shit and doesn't need the car, but for some f***ing reason she knows everything about how to sell a car through eBay (don't think that's very common/usual).

Also, notice that in every e-mail she is already asking you for your info (regardless it's not very specific), but "she" wants to confuse you and f*** you over!!! BE WISE

Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 12:14 AM   #13
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

I actually made an entirely new email just for this. I knew something was up before I sent her the first email. Everything she says doesn't make any sense.

The value of the car is $5,600. Say she actually sends it to me, and I don't like it. Now, let's say she pays $800 "at her own expense" to ship it back to California. She's just spending blank money that's decreasing her profit, and there's no point for her to get involved in out of state deals because of that.

This car is most likely stolen. It's at such a low price because they want to get rid of it as soon as possible.

Or.

It doesn't exist.

I've been reading other scams like http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question...4104019AAAKzFF which for some coincidental reason, is priced at $5,600 also. Is $5,600 the magic number of scamming or something? Try Googling: "$5,600 scam" and you'll find the one I linked you above. There is also a similar story that I can't find at the moment also involving a car priced at $5,600, where the seller claimed to be in California, but when the interested buyer emailed, the story changed to the seller being in Singapore or some South-East Asian country. I'm pretty much convinced now that this is a scam, and I should have known at first sight of the price tag.

For those who are too lazy, this is quoted text from the link which pretty much fits the situation here.
Quote:
It's a scam. If you respond they will send you an email about how they are selling it through a third party to protect both the buyer and seller.
I saw one where they said they were selling it through the ebay buyers assurance program (doesn't exist) and that the bike was at the ebay distributer in Atlanta. You send your money to this so called distributer and they deliver the bike at the seller's expense. You inspect the bike and if you aren't happy they send it back to the distributer (again at the seller's expense)

Like the saying goes, If it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't.
But now that I'm involved, I'd like to know how this all plays out and I'm sure it'll be a laugh either outcome.

Also, I'm pretty sure they use a real vehicle to avoid mismatching information. The only thing that's fake is the "eBay holds your money for you until you accept it" program.

Last edited by TWiTCHY; 09-17-2008 at 12:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 12:36 AM   #14
schnell325
Bored at work....
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4 GTS//2022 M235iGC

String her along and keep us updated!
Grey Matter:2008 E92 M3:608/425. SG/PS SOLD!
Dark Matter:2015 F80 M3:495/505. SOLD!
Anti Matter :2016 F82 M4 GTS
What next?!? A 2022 M235i GC- I must be getting old
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 12:51 AM   #15
ACZakka325i
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2 stroke

BUY IT!

JK, I'd like to see you string this along so we can joke about it!
(Waitlist): #1 M2CSL
(Current): 2016 F15 X5 3.5xdrive - 2010 997.2 C4S Coupe
(Past): 2016 F30 340xi M-Sport -2013 535i xdrive
2008 E92 M3 - 2006 E90 325i
2002 E46 325xi - 1991 E30 325i
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 01:18 AM   #16
TWiTCHY
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Alright, why not? But I need ideas on how to break it to her. Maybe I'll keep this going on for weeks and look interested, acting like I'm an adult who talks professionally and just send a stray email saying

Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLLLOLOLOLOL.

Thx 4 ur time.
EDIT: I should probably stop referring to the seller as "her"

Or,
Quote:
LOLOLOLOLOLOOLOLLLOLOLOLOL.

Joke's on you.

Here is my latest reply.

Quote:
Hi,

I am very interested in the vehicle, although I am confused with the following:
Where is the car registered?
If we do come to a conclusion, how will I receive the title?

I would also like to see the vehicle again. I noticed that on the AutoTrader ad it was listed with some information. If you could send the description, mileage, and a list of features along with pictures, that would be very helpful and aid in my decision significantly. I will also be getting involved with the DMV to request vehicle record and title, but before I can do so, I need to know which DMV in which state to contact. I am also confused with the whereabouts of the car. When I found your AutoTrader ad, the car was listed to be in Blaine, WA, not California.

All of the information above is to ensure safe business between the two of of us.

Thank you!
I'm sure the DMV part won't throw her off. If she continues without concern then that proves my theory about them using real cars to do the dirty work.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:38 AM   #17
cycler
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Streetglide and 2011 Dyna

Dude if the car is only $5,600.00 fly out to her and bring the car back yourself. then you will see whether its a scam or not. Personally I see SCAM written all over it but hey its your money and your time. Better yet take $5,600 and divide it amongst all that have written in this thread. Your already dead set on this car and will lose money so why not lose money by just giving it away to us.

These ebay scams have been going on for years. Example: Totally customized 2006 Harley Davidson worth $40K in customized parts now selling for "$5,600.00" because they need the money. Or brand new Harley Davidson Fatboy selling for $5,600.00. For some reason these dumb ass scam artists always use $5,600 as their base.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 08:59 AM   #18
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

I don't know what you guys are getting all bent out of shape about. This is obviously a case of scorned woman who just wants to get back at her ex and offer the OP a very nice deal. She's probably a sweetheart. Even though she could walk into a dealer today and walk out with a check for $35k without any haggling at all, she simply wants to give the car to the OP very cheap to get back at her husband. You should give her all your info quickly and send her the money directly so you don't miss out on this great deal. Heck, you could sell it to a dealer the day it arrives and pocket $30k for yourself. What are you waiting for? And by the way, there are lots of great deals like this all over the internet if you just take a few minutes to search.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:24 AM   #19
XYR03
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Cayman S

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
I don't know what you guys are getting all bent out of shape about. This is obviously a case of scorned woman who just wants to get back at her ex and offer the OP a very nice deal. She's probably a sweetheart. Even though she could walk into a dealer today and walk out with a check for $35k without any haggling at all, she simply wants to give the car to the OP very cheap to get back at her husband. You should give her all your info quickly and send her the money directly so you don't miss out on this great deal. Heck, you could sell it to a dealer the day it arrives and pocket $30k for yourself. What are you waiting for? And by the way, there are lots of great deals like this all over the internet if you just take a few minutes to search.
are you being serious???
1998-E36 M3
2007-E92 328i[/SIGPIC]
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 09:33 AM   #20
aut0sh0cker
meh
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997.2 C4S

eh... i subscribed. i want to see this play out!
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:18 AM   #21
95DakarM3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 95 M3

Im actually talkin to this seller through email as well! It has to be fake then. Here is what 'She' has emailed me about.
SELLER-
"Hello, First of all I want to thank you for your interest for my car. I am selling it at this price
($5,600) because I just finished the divorce with my husband. When the divorce finished, the car was registered under my name. Now as a woman I don't need it. This car is in excellent working condition, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title.
From the beginning you have to know that for the payment I request only secure pay, I prefer the payment to be done using eBay services. We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at eBay and I have a purchase protection account for $20,000. The final price that I want for this car is $5,600 including shipping and handling.
If you are interested in buying it please provide me your full name and address so I can initiate the deal through eBay.
I will wait your answer(if you are interested to buy) very soon.
Thank you"

Ive tried to get a number and some more info but she doesnt give it to me. Keeps telling me to start it with her through ebay. She sayed that the car is located in Fort Bragg, NC. Only a two hour drive from my house. Ive told her this and she says she has to go out of town. So that I have to do it through ebay. She told me I was the only buyer and that it was mine. Im glad i found this post. Im definetly not thinking about sending no money for this. Thanks, hope this may help you as well!

95DakarM3
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2008, 11:30 AM   #22
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by XYR03 View Post
are you being serious???
Why wouldn't I be serious? Don't people give up a chance to make $35k in a heartbeat all the time? Don't tell me this isn't true - I was hoping I could make an easy living off of all these folks on the internet willing to sell really expensive cars for just 10% of what they're really worth. Do you really think this poor, poor woman is looking to actually steal the OP's money? I just can't believe that! Oh my god, how could you?! You mean the world really isn't this nice? Damn, I guess I'll need to come up with another way to make some quick cash...
Appreciate 0