F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > I'm throwing a code but nothing is wrong...
proTUNING Freaks

03-06-2009, 06:14 PM   #1
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep
Drives: WRX

I'm throwing a code but nothing is wrong...

About a week ago my car threw a code saying left brake light malfunction. I turned the car off to go call my friend out to check it out and when I started the car again the code went away. The lights were working fine and I didn't get another code until today. I checked the lights out and they were working fine, there are no loose connections, and the code only went away after I parked for about twenty minutes only to be thrown again. What could cause this to happen and what are possible fixes?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 06:23 PM   #2
MShao825
Go Terps!
Rep
Drives: 2009 SSII/FR E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22Z View Post
About a week ago my car threw a code saying left brake light malfunction. I turned the car off to go call my friend out to check it out and when I started the car again the code went away. The lights were working fine and I didn't get another code until today. I checked the lights out and they were working fine, there are no loose connections, and the code only went away after I parked for about twenty minutes only to be thrown again. What could cause this to happen and what are possible fixes?
There are 2 bulbs in each brake light, so 4 total (2 on the driver's side, 2 on the passenger's side). It's possible that one of the 2 bulbs on the left brake light is dying/dead, but you just didn't notice it when you looked because the other one was still properly lit. See if that's the case, because I had the same experience.
      03-06-2009, 06:26 PM   #3
Kensta335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe

I had the same issue before. Take it to the dealership and they can resolve it for you.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 06:35 PM   #4
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

I forgot to mention that the left tail light was changed by the dealer because it had a problem shorting.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 06:36 PM   #5
Z22Z
Lieutenant
Armenia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mshao825 View Post
There are 2 bulbs in each brake light, so 4 total (2 on the driver's side, 2 on the passenger's side). It's possible that one of the 2 bulbs on the left brake light is dying/dead, but you just didn't notice it when you looked because the other one was still properly lit. See if that's the case, because I had the same experience.

wouldn't one light be brighter than the other?
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 06:42 PM   #6
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

06 and 07 models have a poorly designed light housing unit. The bulbs aren't very secure. Go to the dealership and ask about the upgrade on the light units. I had mine replaced because it kept saying that a bulb was out.
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2009, 06:59 PM   #7
1N54E92
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM F30 M-Sport

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z22Z View Post
I have the same problem. I took it in but the dealer said light wasn't out.Something about high resistance on rear brake light bulb. Next day, code was gone. The code back on and off for few months. Just last week it finally went out and the error code is not going away. I will be taking it in for bulb replacement.
Appreciate 0