F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > *OFFICIAL* general photography conversation thread
GetBMWParts

08-12-2014, 11:05 PM   #4753
batchelorc
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Deez nuts

Picked up a Canon 6D recently. Loving the low light sensitivity.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:38 AM   #4754
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
I was out shooting a project today that involved excavating old graves. As it got late and the sun started coming in from the side the bottoms of the graves got dark, so I had to crank the ISO and shoot wide open. That was working fine. Then I heard the unmistakable sound of twin radial airplane engines coming from the airport just behind the treeline to our south. I turned to look and was amazed to see a B-24 bomber lifting off at about 700ft and maybe a half mile away. I had my 70-200 mounted, but by the time I realized what I was seeing and then adjusted my settings, the plane was tail towards me and too far away. Trying a shot into a bright sky at 1600 ISO and f2.8 would have been futile, but I could have just flipped to the little green box and taken a shot. As I never use full auto, it just didn't occur to me to do so and I missed what could have been a cool shot.
This is one reason why I shoot Av Mode and use the wheel on the back of the camera to spin + or - EV. I can change ISO and/or Aperture without taking my eye off the VF and then adjust EV to suit the conditions. It's WAY faster than trying to mess with manual setting and you see all the setting in the VF. Some prefer the Tv Mode, but the choice is personal and I consider Av and Tv equivalent.

The only time that I go for Manual mode is when the subject is moving against a highly variable BG. One example is a bird flying against broken, thick clouds, with patches of blues sky, patches of white clouds and patches of grey clouds. Each of those requires a radically different EV, so I switch (slowly) to manual.

Dave
      08-13-2014, 07:22 PM   #4755
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
This is one reason why I shoot Av Mode and use the wheel on the back of the camera to spin + or - EV. I can change ISO and/or Aperture without taking my eye off the VF and then adjust EV to suit the conditions. It's WAY faster than trying to mess with manual setting and you see all the setting in the VF. Some prefer the Tv Mode, but the choice is personal and I consider Av and Tv equivalent.

The only time that I go for Manual mode is when the subject is moving against a highly variable BG. One example is a bird flying against broken, thick clouds, with patches of blues sky, patches of white clouds and patches of grey clouds. Each of those requires a radically different EV, so I switch (slowly) to manual.

Dave
I agree, nailing it with exposure comp is almost always faster than fiddling with for the right shutter speed.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2014, 08:48 PM   #4756
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MB GLC300 4matic

Quote:

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by druu View Post
I agree, nailing it with exposure comp is almost always faster than fiddling with for the right shutter speed.
I tend towards auto-ISO for variable conditions, but this shoot had bright, sunlit soil on top of the trenches and very dark conditions at the bottom. I needed to be outside the trench to get the picture, so the metering was thrown off by the very bright areas around the trench. I'm not sure even a +3 EV would have been enough, but maybe. In any case my settings were working fine for what I was shooting. I certainly never expected a B-24 to come zooming overhead. LOL

I really wish Canon would spread +/- EV to auto-ISO on prosumer bodies. I would be one happy shooter if they did.

I like Ed's suggestion, too. My 5D MkIII has three custom settings and I have one set for birds in flight against a bright sky. I should have switched to that, but again, the bomber was gone in a second or two and I was slow to react. C'est la vie.

"There is no shame in dropping fruit in your glass."
-UncleWede

Last edited by M_Six; 08-13-2014 at 08:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2014, 04:02 PM   #4757
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Getty has sold a couple of my images for advertisements. The prices vary widely based on how widely it'll be distributed (think dentist office tri-fold vs. national TV campaign), how long it will be used and, believe it or not, the actual resolution of the image (the more pixels the better).

So far, the usage of my images was limited distribution and the highest License fee was $800. I just negotiated a direct sale with a non-profit to use one of my images in a calendar with distribution to 50,000 members. It was a non-exclusive License and Royalty Free for $600 (bargain price vs. Getty).

I know that Getty gets thousands for some high distribution images, but I can't really give much more guidance than that.

I think that you're describing essentially Stock, non-exclusive use for publicity, not sales of the image or a product. If it were an assignment or were going to be resold, then pricing would be entirely different and higher or include a Royalty.

So, for example, if it's going in a program and a few hundred will be printed, then you might charge only $200 for full-page usage. If it's going to be the cover that 100,000 will see, then maybe more like $1,200 to $1,500 would be appropriate. Indicate flexibility to negotiate, but don't bid against yourself. If they balk at your first price, ask them where their comfort zone might be.

BTW, if anyone is recognizable in the image, you may need a model release. That need can vary a lot, depending on the circumstances where the shot was taken.

Congrats.
      08-25-2014, 09:15 PM   #4758
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Thanks, im pretty excited. Its not the first time my stuff has been in print, but this feels like a bigger deal than a few articles in sports car.

Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 09:39 AM   #4759
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
not sure if anyone is familiar with the fujifilm product line, but was wondering when there will be the next successor to the x100s? i believe it's due for an upgrade, just not sure when it will be released (early next year)?

i rented one for a week and i fell in love, but considering how its a few months away, i figured i can wait a few months for it. might as well wait for what i can assume will have better autofocusing + better optics?
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 10:18 AM   #4760
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by danniexi View Post
not sure if anyone is familiar with the fujifilm product line, but was wondering when there will be the next successor to the x100s? i believe it's due for an upgrade, just not sure when it will be released (early next year)?

i rented one for a week and i fell in love, but considering how its a few months away, i figured i can wait a few months for it. might as well wait for what i can assume will have better autofocusing + better optics?
Guessing release dates and features on future releases of all manufactures is a sizable industry. You can't count on anything said by the manufacturers, much less rumors dreamed up to increase internet traffic. Here's a site making a living while focusing on mirrorless cameras:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/manufacturers/Fuji
      08-26-2014, 11:52 AM   #4761
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Photokina is around the corner, i'd be surprised if fuji didn't announce a whole slew of new toys there. One thing though is that the x100 series strongly depreciates to around 40-60% of it's value and stays there for a long time. I bought my x100 about a year after release and bought it used for 600 bucks, i sold it in may of this year for 550 bucks. YMMV, but due to the nature of the constant rebates and the continual model updates (unlike higher classed SLRs) a used one is often a good deal.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:04 PM   #4762
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Guessing release dates and features on future releases of all manufactures is a sizable industry. You can't count on anything said by the manufacturers, much less rumors dreamed up to increase internet traffic. Here's a site making a living while focusing on mirrorless cameras:

http://www.mirrorlessrumors.com/manufacturers/Fuji
i really strongly dislike most mirrorless rumor sites. Canon/Nikon/Leica Rumors have a strong following and have contributors that do more than just post rumors or deals, plus the writing on these sites is not just all about sensationalism, they occasionally actually review gear and report industry news.

Most other rumors sites, although informative for release dates and when there are deals, are good for little else. They are entire websites devoted to being a fanboy, defending their brand and bashing other brands, with tons of links to amazon, b&h, adorama with referral links as a quick cash grab.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2014, 12:18 PM   #4763
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
For most users, including DSLR buyers, I second druu's recommendation to buy used. It's really unusual for there to be a huge difference in sensor or other functions from one generation to the next and early depreciation is killer. By a used body and spend you money on the very best lenses that you can afford.

Dave
      08-31-2014, 09:21 AM   #4764
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Price drop on some L lenses. Big whites have dropped $1000.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:05 AM   #4765
Itsed65
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 X1 28i

Now's your chance for that 600 Dave!
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 10:13 AM   #4766
gary88
Ikea enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i

Garage List
2007 E92 335i  [7.96]
Should I bother with an 85L if I already have an 85 f/1.8? Is it really worth two months of rent for that extra 2/3rds of a stop? I've used a 50L before and really liked that and feel like it's a slightly more usable focal length.
      08-31-2014, 10:15 AM   #4767
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by gary88 View Post
Should I bother with an 85L if I already have an 85 f/1.8? Is it really worth two months of rent for that extra 2/3rds of a stop? I've used a 50L before and really liked that and feel like it's a slightly more usable focal length.
The 85L is an amazing lens. But, for what I shoot, I personally could never justify the price.
      08-31-2014, 11:55 AM   #4768
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Quote:
You might want to hold off for the (rumored?) Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art. The 35mm and 50mm Art lenses are both superb.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:36 PM   #4769
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

Quote:
Originally Posted by M_Six View Post
You might want to hold off for the (rumored?) Sigma 85mm f1.4 Art. The 35mm and 50mm Art lenses are both superb.
FYI, in case it's important to you, the Art lenses don't have any weather sealing unlike their Canon L counterparts.
      08-31-2014, 04:29 PM   #4770
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Itsed65 View Post
Now's your chance for that 600 Dave!
Thanks goodness it's a "permanent" drop, since I can't swing it right now.

Dave
      08-31-2014, 05:36 PM   #4771
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Great googly moogly!

Appreciate 0
      09-04-2014, 02:02 PM   #4772
Sektion9
United_States
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Quote:
85L is really only for if you NEED that extra light. The increase in bokeh isn't anywhere near enough to justify the price jump from the 85 1.8. The Sharpeness and CA also isn't all that great on the 85L, it does predictably get better when you stop it down (but then there goes that 2/3 a stop you bought it for) and at that point it gets very similar to the 85 1.8.

As Chewy734 mentioned if you need weather sealing the new Sigma glass may not be an option but if you don't see yourself shooting out in the rain you should for sure give them a try. Personally I think the S50A makes a lot more sense than the 50L. Its undeniably sharper and has less CA...and with a much cheaper price tag. IQ wise the only thing nicer right now is the Zeiss 55mm Otus which is about 5x the price and lacks AF.

It will be interesting to see if Sigma does release a 85mm Art lens and how it performs compared to the rest of the competition.

Last edited by Sektion9; 09-04-2014 at 02:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:29 PM   #4773
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sektion9 View Post
85L is really only for if you NEED that extra light. The increase in bokeh isn't anywhere near enough to justify the price jump from the 85 1.8. The Sharpeness and CA also isn't all that great on the 85L, it does predictably get better when you stop it down (but then there goes that 2/3 a stop you bought it for) and at that point it gets very similar to the 85 1.8.

As Chewy734 mentioned if you need weather sealing the new Sigma glass may not be an option but if you don't see yourself shooting out in the rain you should for sure give them a try. Personally I think the S50A makes a lot more sense than the 50L. Its undeniably sharper and has less CA...and with a much cheaper price tag. IQ wise the only thing nicer right now is the Zeiss 55mm Otus which is about 5x the price and lacks AF.

It will be interesting to see if Sigma does release a 85mm Art lens and how it performs compared to the rest of the competition.
The 85L's quality of Bokeh is on a completely different level to the 1.8 (used to own the 1.8) If you are ever shooting portraits, the 85L is king. However if you want to shoot anything fast moving, get a different lens. The 85L has so many moving components that it is not fast. Not slow by any means, but any 70-200 will oust it. The extra light gathering abilities are just a bonus to the L's (shooting at 1.2 is very difficult until you get used to it). The 85L just has a look that is very appealing once you see the images. The 50L is a bit faster to focus, and a much smaller lens which i enjoy thorougly as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 09:35 AM   #4774
M_Six
Free Thinker
United_States
Rep

Anyone have a favorite place to order photo books? I'm thinking about ordering some using pics from our recent trip to the UK for Xmas gifts. I want them to be high quality, though.

-UncleWede
Appreciate 0