E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > Would you renew your BMW Assist subscription?

02-28-2008, 08:49 AM   #67
BC4J
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Garage List
2007 E90 335d  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SiBurt View Post
Just a quick update on the above...

I got in last night to find a letter from BMW confirming that they are prepared, in this instance, to offer me a free three year subscription and have upgraded my account accordingly!

Once again, thanks BC!

Si.
Congratulations! Enjoy.

Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 05:17 AM   #68
matlough
First Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 335i Saloon

Having paid for 1 years subscription (after 6 months trial) I thought I would try writing to them in the same way as SiBurt.

This is the reply I got:

"Thank you for your recent letter regarding your BMW 335i SE Saloon.

From 2005 to September 2007 BMW Assist was provided on all new cars with Navigation and bluetooth as a free 6 month trial.

In September 2007 BMW Assist was relaunched as BMW ConnectedDrive and some additional services were added and the free period for vehicles built form September was changed to 3 years.
Applications received after September 2007 for vehicles built before September 2007 are still provided with a 6 month trail.

There is no further free trial period as you have already had the free trial available for your vehicle. If you decide not to renew this service, BMW ConnectedDrive will automatically cease on your vehicle after November 18, 2008.

Although this is not the response you were hoping for I trust that this clarifies our position on the matter."

So we are paying for everybody else when we give them £120 a year!

Any ideas on my next step??
      10-19-2008, 07:24 AM   #69
SoYank
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E90 335i MT

Garage List
Sorry for your dilemma. You could trade in your car for a new one to get the full three year subscription. I think the £120 would be the better deal, though, given the low trade-in values a dealer would give you.

In the meantime, I thank you for subsidizing my BMWConnect.
Quaife ATB LSD • Short Shift Knob • Hartge Anti-Roll Bars • AP Racing Front Brakes • 19" Style 269

Last edited by SoYank; 12-06-2008 at 07:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 03:36 PM   #70
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: Merc diesel

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoYank View Post
In the meantime, I thank you for subsidizing my BMWConnect.
Lol, almost wish I still had the E92 335d with the free ConnectedDrive when you look at it like that.
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2008, 04:48 PM   #71
asianwolf
Rep
Drives: G30 530D xDrive M Sport

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRS View Post

Also does anyone know what mobile phone network e.g. Orange, Vodafone that the hidden internal BMW Assist mobile uses when communicating?

LRS
Hi all, newbie here...great forum and advice...thanks to all.

The connectdrive comes with all new vehicles (with the approprate specification) for three years. The service in the UK is provided by T-mobile, I'm assuming that T-Mobile provide complete European coverage in the supported countries.

Application for the service can be carried out online at the following URL...

http://www.bmw.co.uk/bmwuk/connected...ml?siteID=1312

Whilst I like the Google 'send to car' function, the overall experience and quality of the service is disppointing given the cost of the option and the quality that should be associated with a prestige make such as BMW. Don't get me started on the dire sound quality of the professional audio!

In fact, i've decided to revert back to using TomTom, which is infinately superior with regards Navigation, POIs, Speed Cameras, Traffic Alerts and post code (7 digit) entry/search. Also far more intuituve to use. The data by the way provided on the BMW navigation is by NavTeq, whilst TomTom data is provided by TeleAtlas (TomTOM now owns Teleatlas). In addition, upgrading maps (usually quarterley) and the cost thereof is quicker and far less expensive including the subs for traffic and speed alerts...and the Google send to function works with TomTom as well, albeit the device needs to be connected to the computer.

The only thing that I really find useful but still very limited, is the ability to read the news headlines whilst stationary.

For those of you who know the right people in Bimmerland to provide feedback to, I would suggest the following changes to iDrive and ConnectedDrive: -

- Currently, the online (telephone based) services are on a 2G network, which is very slow and old technology. Connectdrive should be upgraded to FOC to the newer 3G HSDPA network. If its a simple case of replacing the inbuilt SIM, then FOC or a charge if hardware based chnages for those of us you want the faster network

- In conjunction with the above, the SatNav aspect needs to improve dramitically in line with the competition and stand-alone devices for the end-user experience, functionality and upgradability. This is going to prove difficult with a DVD based system, but options should be given for hard disc based navigation (as per 2009 models) and downloads via the 3G network and/or USB memory sticks.

- Google 'send to', should be expanded to all types of addresses. it's currently restricted to business addresses. This may be a google issue.

- The feature of assist for finding places such as florist, restaurant or whatever should be either through the phone service or through iDrive/Voice entry

- whilst news and related 'online' services are restricted to when the vehicle is stationary, the option for moving vehicles should be available as many a time i've had passengers wanting to read the news etc. Difficult one to consider with regards road safety

- the entire iDrive system software should be upgradeable through CD/DVD/3G download and/or USB media and not require the need for the vehicle to visit a BMW garage...at owners own risk however

- Integration of iPOD or USB devices where media tag information is displayed should be scrollable and not fixed, with the addition of the user to determine the size of the text

- iPOD or USB media album art should also be displayable. The whole iPOd integration with regards artist/music display is disappointing

- true internet web page delivery with pics and all option. BMW/T-mobile can of cause restrict access to any sites of ill repute. Wouldn't it be great if you could just find out the location and tel number of a place through google in the car and have the option to navigate there or simply ring them without having to key in the digits. I missed out on purchasing AC/DC tickets on Friday as I was away on business and didn't have the time outside of meetings and driving to find out the box office number...yes of course I should have planned it ahead with all the right details, but this is the type of stuff that connecteddrive should be able to do for us at £120 squid a year (or free for newbie car owners)

- I know the car can send the vehicles location to breakdown and emergency services, but how about if you want to send your location to another connecteddrive user or even other GPS users? Bimmer post meets for example

-No doubt there's a lot more out there that you guys could think of as well

If any of the above is already achievable, apologies I've not come across it through the iDrive interface, and neither have I bothered reading the manual.

Cheers for now
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 11:13 AM   #72
LRS
Dead Head
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E92 335d Coupe

I’m one of the unfortunate ‘Pre-Sept 07’ BMW Assist, 6 months free, Guinea Pigs.

I’ve just had my 2nd renewal through for £120 for a further 12 months.

Now, I fought BMW a year ago when I got my first £120 renewal, which I they reluctantly agreed to extend for a further 12 months following lots of insistence and phone calls.

My question is has any other ‘Pre-Sept 07’ BMW Assist, driver on the forum been able to convince BMW to give them the full 3 year subscription as you would have gotten if you purchased the car after Sept 07?

E92 335d SE Auto | Space Grey | Black Leather | 19” 230 Star Spoke | Comfort Access | Lumbar | Heated Seats | Black High Gloss Trim | Pro Nav | Assist | Bluetooth Telematics | Voice Control | High Gloss Shadow Line
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 11:18 AM   #73
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
Ive been too scared to push the button and see what happens. lol, but id renew mine for the stolen car gps (i know, it barely works) and just in case of an emergency.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 12:28 PM   #74
JSpira
Freude am Fahren
Austria
Rep
Drives: Fünfer, Dreier, +

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
Ive been too scared to push the button and see what happens. lol, but id renew mine for the stolen car gps (i know, it barely works) and just in case of an emergency.
You don't have to push the button, just select Concierge on your iDrive and make a test call to ensure it works.

BMW recommends making a test call every so often anyway. This way you know they can see you and the TCU is transmitting your location correctly etc.

Jonathan

E90 2006 330xi
E90 2006 325i
E39 2003 530i Sport*
E46 2000 328Ci*
E36 1996 328iS*
E36 1992 325i*
E30 1991 318is
E21 1982 320iS*
E21 1979 320 (6-Zyl)*
*retired

Nominated: Most Contributing Member
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 01:15 PM   #75
Speedtrap
Lieutenant Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: A very fast car :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFS View Post
If you never activated your account you will qualify for the 3 year free subscription.
I have never even used mine....need to look at the manuals this weekend
      12-06-2008, 01:16 PM   #76
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Quote:

It doesn't have stolen car GPS.
      12-06-2008, 02:54 PM   #77
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK View Post

It doesn't have stolen car GPS.
What, yes it does. At least other members have talked about it and my dealership said it does.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2008, 02:56 PM   #78
willhollin
Major General
England
Rep
Drives: VW T5

Garage List
Quote:
What, yes it does. At least other members have talked about it and my dealership said it does.
Maybe UK/US difference. We don't get fook all standard.
      12-07-2008, 10:16 AM   #79
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by willhollin View Post
Maybe UK/US difference. We don't get fook all standard.
Soooooo true Will.

Prowess Symphony (hell of a 'monica' you've got there luv), think the US market is just that bit bigger for BMW sales than the UK and you lot seem to demand loads of kit as standard on your cars.

We have to have trackers fitted and pay an annual subscription.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 10:21 AM   #80
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerbird View Post
Soooooo true Will.

Prowess Symphony (hell of a 'monica' you've got there luv), think the US market is just that bit bigger for BMW sales than the UK and you lot seem to demand loads of kit as standard on your cars.

We have to have trackers fitted and pay an annual subscription.

Thanks. (does monica mean my girl?, lol)

Its odd that most of western europe has better options, but the UK doesn't. I guess America fits in the middle.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 10:39 AM   #81
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks. (does monica mean my girl?, lol)

Its odd that most of western europe has better options, but the UK doesn't. I guess America fits in the middle.
Lol...no monica is cockney rhyming slang (google it).

Not sure whether western Europe have better standard equipment, my German friend is always moaning about that on German cars. Think we have a larger options list than you lot, but obviously we've got to pay for these as extras. You lot still have more standard equipment on BMW's but then American built cars seem to come with everything but the kitchen sink as standard! so BMW have to follow suit to sell cars.

Anyhow, the Krauts still haven't forgiven us for WWII and 1966.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 10:46 AM   #82
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Lol...no monica is cockney rhyming slang (google it).

Not sure whether western Europe have better standard equipment, my German friend is always moaning about that on German cars. Think we have a larger options list than you lot, but obviously we've got to pay for these as extras. You lot still have more standard equipment on BMW's but then American built cars seem to come with everything but the kitchen sink as standard! so BMW have to follow suit to sell cars.

Anyhow, the Krauts still haven't forgiven us for WWII and 1966.
It means my online name? lol. Since when did forums involve homework. Is cockney slang what they spoke in A Clockwork Orange?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:29 AM   #83
NPinUK
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90 325i M Sport

Quote:
Not in UK. This is the reason I didn't get it. Not worth it unless it has this at least.
      12-07-2008, 11:31 AM   #84
beemerbird
Major General
England
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
It means my online name? lol. Since when did forums involve homework. Is cockney slang what they spoke in A Clockwork Orange?
Homework lol..........surely you've read our O/T section which is positively brimming with a plethora of many interesting and varied subjects.......we can't get enough of learning on here you know.

a Clockwork Orange was a conglomeration of different dialects/languages, but yes, cockney rhyming slang was one which was used but not in it's purist form. Before my time actually lol.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2008, 11:32 AM   #85
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by NPinUK View Post
Not in UK. This is the reason I didn't get it. Not worth it unless it has this at least.
I check posts by just clicking the new posts tab so I missed that this was a UK forum until just now.

My BMW assist came as part of a package. But I still would have gotten it even if it wasn't. Wouldnt be worth it to me if it didnt have all the same features as over here.

Quote:
Homework lol..........surely you've read our O/T section which is positively brimming with a plethora of many interesting and varied subjects.......we can't get enough of learning on here you know.

a Clockwork Orange was a conglomeration of different dialects/languages, but yes, cockney rhyming slang was one which was used but not in it's purist form. Before my time actually lol.
Im becoming a fan of the UK OT section!
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 04:09 AM   #86
lesfinnie
Panzer
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 335d SE

Garage List
2007 335d se  [0.00]
I have just phoned BMW about my car which I bought a few weeks ago. The young lady told me as the previous owner had never registered for assist I will get three years free.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 08:13 AM   #87
misterS3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: X70 on the way

I used BMW Assist on Monday night. I didn't realise ParcelForce had moved their depot and didn't have the letter for collection with me.

So phoned them and it took me 3 mins to explain ParcelForce and their depot address is what i was after. After an inordinate time faffing around she sent me the address and put me through. I got their old number from 2 years ago and the location of the old depot which is where i was. I should have twigged when she said, it won't take you long to get there!!

I would have been quicker just looking it up myself on my phone and much more confident of the response.

I definitely won't be signing on again next Sept.

The best part of it, is sending googlemap locations to the car. That's the only part i'd keep.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2009, 01:55 PM   #88
JLR1969
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Kubota GR1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterS3 View Post
I used BMW Assist on Monday night. I didn't realise ParcelForce had moved their depot and didn't have the letter for collection with me.

So phoned them and it took me 3 mins to explain ParcelForce and their depot address is what i was after. After an inordinate time faffing around she sent me the address and put me through. I got their old number from 2 years ago and the location of the old depot which is where i was. I should have twigged when she said, it won't take you long to get there!!

I would have been quicker just looking it up myself on my phone and much more confident of the response.

I definitely won't be signing on again next Sept.

The best part of it, is sending googlemap locations to the car. That's the only part i'd keep.

They take ages to help and generally send you to the wrong place, sending to the car from Google maps is brilliant though. So totally agree with you.
Appreciate 0