E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > e92 335i Passanger Seat Repair

10-11-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
SLEEP3R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

e92 335i Passanger Seat Repair

This is my first post ever. I normally just watch discussions from a far and if I need questions answered I usually find them by searching.

But this issue just happened to me 2 days ago.
My passanger seat stopped moving horizontally.
It will still move up and down and the backrest still moves forward and back, however, the seat is stuck in one place. I know that it's not the seat motor because I can hear it trying to move but the seat itself simply will not budge. It's more of an issue because the seat is stuck close to the dash board, meaning anybody over 5'7" will have a hard time fitting in the seat.

I didn't want to really mess with the seat to much on my own because I guess I'm afraid that i can break something else.
So this morning I took my car the BMW dealership and had them do a diagnostic on it($125 charge).
they called me back in 2 or so hours and said that something in the seat track broke. They went on to tell me that it will cost $1,910 to repair it. $1,100 for the part and $700 for labor. Of coarse my reaction was, "you got to be shitting me"

I guess my general questions are, has this happened to someone before and is this a price I can expect from anybody I go to?
I would much rather spend $1,900 on some M3 suspension parts or put it towards some RB turbos that i want so badly.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

Look for stuff jamming the worm scews.

If you don't find anything loosen the T50 Torx screws
holding the seat down and see if it will work.
If it does try there is a little bit of slop in the alignment
So re tighten it. When I was installing new speakers I had
mine freeze . I had to move it around a little and not over torque
the T50's to get it to work.
If there diagnosis is correct you don't have a lot of choice other than sourcing a new seat. They are pretty easy to take out but the battery has to be dissconnected when you do it or you will have a airbag error you will have to reset at the dealer , at and Indy , with a Bav tool or coding setup.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:08 PM   #3
SLEEP3R
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
If you don't find anything loosen the T50 Torx screws
holding the seat down and see if it will work.
If it does try there is a little bit of slop in the alignment
So re tighten it. When I was installing new speakers I had
mine freeze . I had to move it around a little and not over torque
the T50's to get it to work.
If there diagnosis is correct you don't have a lot of choice other than sourcing a new seat. They are pretty easy to take out but the battery has to be dissconnected when you do it or you will have a airbag error you will have to reset at the dealer , at and Indy , with a Bav tool or coding setup.
Thanks for the quick tip. I'm going to see if i can fool around with it a little this weekend.
If it turns out that I have to get a new seat track I will look at some OEM BMW sites and buy it for myself and have a Indy shop install it for me. close to $2grand is just not an option that I am willing to settle on right now.
Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 03:12 PM   #4
trk06
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: with no spare

Track can be welded. If not look for junkyard replacement. GL