E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > NA Engine (non-turbo) / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications > Any N51/N52 with PE and secondary cats swapped for 1790/92?

10-16-2013, 08:32 AM   #1
sj1084
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: E92

Garage List
2009 E92 coupe  [0.00]
Any N51/N52 with PE and secondary cats swapped for 1790/92?

Ive been searching the forums for a couple days now and havent come across someone with a N51/52 thats done the PE and swapped the secondary cats for Vibrant resonators 1792/90. Anyone with this setup?, I want the exhaust a bit louder but not raspy/ricey.
I also have the performance intake and 3stage IM and I'm gonna get the AA tune to tie it all together. Also I read on here that a tune like that can change the tone of the exhaust, so maybe I should wait till after the tune?
Please no get a 335 comments lol.

This threads was really helpful:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...rant+resonator

and this one, but it's a 335 with dps:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showth...hlight=vibrant

Last edited by sj1084; 10-16-2013 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2013, 09:20 AM   #2
sj1084
General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 coupe  [0.00]
bump
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2013, 11:20 PM   #3
sj1084
General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 coupe  [0.00]
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 09:56 AM   #4
jokers_greg
Master of Montego Blue
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
I had the following setup earlier:

1) Stock + PE midpipes/muffler and secondary cat delete: Sounded great, not too loud

2) then I added a Gruppe M air intake, which made the car sound a bit better, but most noticeably at WOT.

3) Swapped out OEM cats for OBX headers (so now I was fully straight pipe + muffler). This sound was immense, from 3,500rpm-redline this thing sounded like a fully blown racecar. The problem was resonance from about ~1,800rpm-3,000rpm which was simply too loud, and sounded like my engine was running on barking dogs lol

That was unacceptable, and since the PE midpipes have a resonator delete, I decided to put the stock midpipes back in (keep PE muffler).

Here's my setup now:

Gruppe M intake, 3-stage intake manifold, OBX headers, OE midpipes (which have a resonator built in), PE muffler, full cat-delete.

And in my opinion, this is one of the best sounding N52's I've ever heard. Loud when it needs to be, but not 'poppy' no drone or resonance. Deep and grunty low down, and melodic in the higher ranges.

Car's getting a tune right now (which shouldn't change exhaust tone much if at all) but I will be posting a build-thread soon with all the juicy details/vids/pics
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #5
MBP0202
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: n52

I think you should be fine with the PE and secondary cat delete. Don't worry about replacing the secondary cats with the 1792 vibrant resonators.

If I remember correctly when I was modifying my exhaust set-up, we floated this exact idea of replacing the secondaries with these resonators but I believe it was too tight to fit both of the resonators next to each other without rubbing together. You maybe could do a staggered setup and have one further down the line then the other (aka just not right next to each other)

I wouldn't worry about it, it won't be too raspy with just a PE and secondary delete. (unless you spend most of your time above 5k ) The times when it would be maybe noticeable would be when the car is under intense load, like going 70+mph uphill on a highway...

I've got the primaries out with the secondaries in, and the PE and I don't think it's even that loud, but of course it's always more about how you drive the car then the exact exhaust set-up.

2007 E90 328xi l 6MT l Sparkling Graphite Metallic l ZSP l ZPP l ZCW l iDrive l Logic 7 l Mapleridge Headers l 3 Stage Intake Manifold l AA tune l BMW Performance Intake l Euphoria 6K LED interior l Blacklines l V3 Mtec l VMR VB3
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 10:56 AM   #6
sj1084
General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jokers_greg
I had the following setup earlier:

1) Stock + PE midpipes/muffler and secondary cat delete: Sounded great, not too loud

2) then I added a Gruppe M air intake, which made the car sound a bit better, but most noticeably at WOT.

3) Swapped out OEM cats for OBX headers (so now I was fully straight pipe + muffler). This sound was immense, from 3,500rpm-redline this thing sounded like a fully blown racecar. The problem was resonance from about ~1,800rpm-3,000rpm which was simply too loud, and sounded like my engine was running on barking dogs lol

That was unacceptable, and since the PE midpipes have a resonator delete, I decided to put the stock midpipes back in (keep PE muffler).

Here's my setup now:

Gruppe M intake, 3-stage intake manifold, OBX headers, OE midpipes (which have a resonator built in), PE muffler, full cat-delete.

And in my opinion, this is one of the best sounding N52's I've ever heard. Loud when it needs to be, but not 'poppy' no drone or resonance. Deep and grunty low down, and melodic in the higher ranges.

Car's getting a tune right now (which shouldn't change exhaust tone much if at all) but I will be posting a build-thread soon with all the juicy details/vids/pics
Thanks for all the info! That helps a lot, I think the best thing to do then is to try the secondary cat delete and see how it sounds and work from there, def post up pics and videos of your setup when your car is back...it sounds from your write up like your exhaust setup right now is perfect, can't wait to hear what that sounds like
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 11:01 AM   #7
sj1084
General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2009 E92 coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MBP0202
I think you should be fine with the PE and secondary cat delete. Don't worry about replacing the secondary cats with the 1792 vibrant resonators.

If I remember correctly when I was modifying my exhaust set-up, we floated this exact idea of replacing the secondaries with these resonators but I believe it was too tight to fit both of the resonators next to each other without rubbing together. You maybe could do a staggered setup and have one further down the line then the other (aka just not right next to each other)

I wouldn't worry about it, it won't be too raspy with just a PE and secondary delete. (unless you spend most of your time above 5k ) The times when it would be maybe noticeable would be when the car is under intense load, like going 70+mph uphill on a highway...

I've got the primaries out with the secondaries in, and the PE and I don't think it's even that loud, but of course it's always more about how you drive the car then the exact exhaust set-up.
Thanks a lot I think I'll try out the secondary delete like you suggested, and work from there as a starting point...and I do have fun with my rpms above 5 sometimes lol....as long as it's not too raspy...so I'm gonna do that like you said and then based on that maybe experiment with the resonators if needed, thanks
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 12:54 PM   #8
jokers_greg
Master of Montego Blue
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sj1084 View Post
Thanks for all the info! That helps a lot, I think the best thing to do then is to try the secondary cat delete and see how it sounds and work from there, def post up pics and videos of your setup when your car is back...it sounds from your write up like your exhaust setup right now is perfect, can't wait to hear what that sounds like
Definitely, I'll be posting it up hopefully by mid-week!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2013, 02:50 PM   #9
JTDahl
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 328i E90

Just keep in mind where you are, cat-delete tickets are pretty pricey where I am. It does sound angelic though..
Appreciate 0