E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > 2007 328xi wagon 6mt Starts then Stalls

07-15-2014, 10:10 AM   #1
jerseymustard
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 e91 328xi, 99 Z3 2.8 coupe

2007 328xi wagon 6mt Starts then Stalls

The wagon just started stalling after startup this afternoon. Had maybe half or one extra crank, maybe a stumble on start up, would rev up normally then on the rev down to idle it will slow down to idle but then continue to 0 rpm and stall. It will continue to do this unless I press the accelerator and rev it up immediately after start. Then it is an 80% chance it will stay running and idle normally. Drives fine after that. Turn off and restart after a 20 minute drive - same issues on start up.

Searched a few times on various forums but the only cures I have found apply to the 335. Mine is the 328.

Does this motor have VANOS? I rebuilt the Z3 VANOS using the Beisan kit and it worked wonders for the stumbling idle.
Possibly fuel filter related? It could still be on the original. We bought this car used with 65k miles last year.
I undid and retightened the gas cap, no luck.

Any clue? Much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 12:23 PM   #2
StereoSteve
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 07 E92 / 86 K75

seems like everybody is having starting issues and erratic idling. maybe the weather change?

to actually contribute something...have you checked for codes? From being on these forums that is the first thing you will be asked. Then, how many miles currently? Any recent work done (people make mistakes)? i would guess spark plugs if they haven't been replaced (mine went at 75000) but im a nobody. good luck!
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #3
jerseymustard
Registered
Rep
Drives: 07 e91 328xi, 99 Z3 2.8 coupe

We'll it has been abnormally humid and rainy here so perhaps the weather does have a factor. The car doesn't throw any codes to trigger the CEL but that doesn't mean there aren't any BMW codes. I don't have a reader for those.

Bought it with 65000 and it has 80000 miles now.

Changed the oil in the winter but that was the most recent service and it has run great since. I'll check the plugs and plan to do a general tune up to include a fuel filter.

I started it today twice without and with A/C turned on and both times it went to idle fine.

Appreciate the response.
Appreciate 0