F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > supplements
ARMA SPEED

02-13-2010, 01:02 PM   #1
ichiban
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 08 135i

supplements

So I'm pretty noob at this stuff. I used to take muscle milk lite before and after a workout. Didn't see much improvements. I'm pretty happy with my muscle mass. I just need to trim down some fat in my mid section. Been trying out some tabata & HIIT workouts. I also have P90X, but I just don't have the time i need to dedicate to it right now.

After my tabata work outs, i'm usually really beat and pretty much out for a couple of days. How can I decrease my recovery? What should I change in my diet to help along side supplements?

Educate the noob
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #2
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I don't know what tabata is but I would recommend doing the P90x ab ripper x. It's only 15 minutes and I can tell you that it works. My stomach is pretty much flat right now. You don't even have to do it every day (you shouldn't anyway). So maybe twice or maybe 3 times a week would give you the result you want without having to take additional supplements.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 01:11 AM   #3
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I wouldn't think that supplements would help you attain a flatter stomach. It's strictly your body fat %.

Do some more cardio, eat right, keep working out your core and stretch. I got a flat stomach doing that.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2010, 10:40 AM   #4
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F10 535xi / B6 S4

Get some good quality Whey Protein in your diet as well.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 10:35 AM   #5
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW E90 View Post
I don't know what tabata is but I would recommend doing the P90x ab ripper x. It's only 15 minutes and I can tell you that it works. My stomach is pretty much flat right now. You don't even have to do it every day (you shouldn't anyway). So maybe twice or maybe 3 times a week would give you the result you want without having to take additional supplements.
Exercising for spot reduction doesn't work. There isn't a metabolic pathway between fat cells and muscle cells.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
I wouldn't think that supplements would help you attain a flatter stomach. It's strictly your body fat %.

Do some more cardio, eat right, keep working out your core and stretch. I got a flat stomach doing that.
Supplements can help improve body composition as they can help maintain muscle mass, improve digestion, and encourage fat stores to be used as energy.

Long duration aerobic exercise is not your best strategy for fat loss as it makes you energy efficient (more MPG so to speak) and puts you in an catabolic state. Doing anaerobic based training will correct both issues. The leanest people on the planet are anaerobic athletes.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 01:00 PM   #6
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e92 07 335i

what is anaerobic exercise vs aerobic?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 02:20 PM   #7
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjbd24 View Post
what is anaerobic exercise vs aerobic?
Example of aerobic exercise are long distance running, an aerobics class, a triathlon, any endurance based sport. The body utilizes oxygen to make energy (aerobic energy system). Low intensity, long duration exercise (continuous activity for longer than 3 minutes).

Examples of anaerobic exercise are weight lifting, sprinting, football, plyometrics, powerlifting, any power based sport. The body does not use oxygen to make energy (ATP-CP and fast glycolytic energy systems). High intensity, short duration (activities lasting less than 2 to 3 minutes).
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 03:21 PM   #8
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep

i thought so, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:25 PM   #9
Spec 1
Faster in the Corners
United_States
Rep
Drives: '91 E30, '05 ZX6-R, '06 300C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobby_Light View Post
Example of aerobic exercise are long distance running, an aerobics class, a triathlon, any endurance based sport. The body utilizes oxygen to make energy (aerobic energy system). Low intensity, long duration exercise (continuous activity for longer than 3 minutes).

Examples of anaerobic exercise are weight lifting, sprinting, football, plyometrics, powerlifting, any power based sport. The body does not use oxygen to make energy (ATP-CP and fast glycolytic energy systems). High intensity, short duration (activities lasting less than 2 to 3 minutes).
I run 2 miles every day and I played tennis the other night and it kicked my BUTT. Not used to the short sprints and bursts of energy needed... left me winded after only a couple rounds. Holy moly. Realize that's a whole nother dynamic I need to break into.
      02-16-2010, 03:48 AM   #10
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

Thanks for the replies. So whey protein, gotcha. I'm trying to eat healthy, but it's hard to do that being a student. Any pointers?
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #11
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ichiban View Post
Thanks for the replies. So whey protein, gotcha. I'm trying to eat healthy, but it's hard to do that being a student. Any pointers?
i would also like to know this, thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:23 AM   #12
NJ135
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 BMW 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [0.00]
yea whey protein is good i dont know if you guys have costco or bjs around where you live but they have allot for cheap.. they even beat internet prices.. and try out a cortisol blocker like supress-c by competative edge labs.. flattens your stomach and makes you look more ripped.. diet is number one thing for abbs they say abbs are built in the kitchen not the gym.. but definitly read up on supress-c .. and this site has good info once in a wile thesupplementrating.com .. and i always order my stuff from buildingbrawn.com or if not there tfsupplements.com
      02-16-2010, 09:44 AM   #13
Makushr1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan Auto

I'm pretty big into working out. 80% of getting into shape is eating right, 18% is exercise, and 2% are supplements. Well, if you're trying to tone up, exercise becomes more important, but eating right doesn't change.

In my younger days, I was a nationally recgonized swimmer. Other than the obvious swimming 5-6 hours a day, eating right was essential. The majority of my dinners were brown rice, steamed veggies, and a grilled chicken breast.

Getting into shape is not tasty.

Only things I really take are whey protein, multi vit, green tea, fish oil. I lost about 5lbs last month switching out my lunches for a liquid lunch of muscle milk.

To Do (Cosmetic): Black Line lights, Lux 4.0 Angel Eyes, 19" CSL HyperBlack
To Do (Performance): Exhaust (still undecided which brand), SSTT, FMIC (unsure what type)
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2010, 09:45 AM   #14
Memphis1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 SDrive 35i

Quote:
So I'm pretty noob at this stuff. I used to take muscle milk lite before and after a workout. Didn't see much improvements. I'm pretty happy with my muscle mass. I just need to trim down some fat in my mid section. Been trying out some tabata & HIIT workouts. I also have P90X, but I just don't have the time i need to dedicate to it right now.

After my tabata work outs, i'm usually really beat and pretty much out for a couple of days. How can I decrease my recovery? What should I change in my diet to help along side supplements?

Educate the noob
sounds like you're wasting your overall calorie intake with those work outs and your spending overall calories as opposed to targeting fat. there's a difference, try cardio that keeps your heart rate in the fat burning zone.

220 - age = ?
the answer from above - resting heart rate = ?
the answer from above * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) =?
the answer from above + resting heart rate =

sample

220 - 23 (age) = 197
197 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 132
132 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 85.8 OR 112.2
85.8 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 150 112.2 + 65 (rhr) = 177
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 150 to 177
      02-16-2010, 10:02 AM   #15
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Stick with grilled chicken, fruits, veggies, etc. basically anything low in fat but high in fiber & protein.

Also make sure you drink plenty of water throughout the day.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:53 AM   #16
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by memphis2012 View Post
sounds like you're wasting your overall calorie intake with those work outs and your spending overall calories as opposed to targeting fat. there's a difference, try cardio that keeps your heart rate in the fat burning zone.

220 - age = ?
the answer from above - resting heart rate = ?
the answer from above * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) =?
the answer from above + resting heart rate =

sample

220 - 23 (age) = 197
197 - 65 (resting heart rate) = 132
132 * 65% (low end of heart rate) OR 85% (high end) = 85.8 OR 112.2
85.8 + 65 (resting heart rate) = 150 112.2 + 65 (rhr) = 177
The target heart rate zone for this person would be 150 to 177
good stuff, thanks for this info.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 01:55 AM   #17
ichiban
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ135 View Post
yea whey protein is good i dont know if you guys have costco or bjs around where you live but they have allot for cheap.. they even beat internet prices.. and try out a cortisol blocker like supress-c by competative edge labs.. flattens your stomach and makes you look more ripped.. diet is number one thing for abbs they say abbs are built in the kitchen not the gym.. but definitly read up on supress-c .. and this site has good info once in a wile thesupplementrating.com .. and i always order my stuff from buildingbrawn.com or if not there tfsupplements.com
Thanks for the sites, and i'll definitely check out supress-c.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Makushr1 View Post
I'm pretty big into working out. 80% of getting into shape is eating right, 18% is exercise, and 2% are supplements. Well, if you're trying to tone up, exercise becomes more important, but eating right doesn't change.

In my younger days, I was a nationally recgonized swimmer. Other than the obvious swimming 5-6 hours a day, eating right was essential. The majority of my dinners were brown rice, steamed veggies, and a grilled chicken breast.

Getting into shape is not tasty.

Only things I really take are whey protein, multi vit, green tea, fish oil. I lost about 5lbs last month switching out my lunches for a liquid lunch of muscle milk.
I usually hear that muscle milk is bad for you. Did you drink regular or lite muscle milk? The premade or powder?

I'll probably switch to brown rice, slowly tho, like to a 50/50 white & brown rice mixture. I couldn't stick to it when i switched to 100% brown.

Thanks for the pointers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJP View Post
Stick with grilled chicken, fruits, veggies, etc. basically anything low in fat but high in fiber & protein.

Thank you sir.
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:14 PM   #18
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Why low fat?
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 03:29 PM   #19
ZJP
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Q:
Quote:
Why low fat?
A:
Quote:
I'm pretty happy with my muscle mass. I just need to trim down some fat in my mid section.

Quote:
I usually hear that muscle milk is bad for you. Did you drink regular or lite muscle milk? The premade or powder?
Get some ON 100% Whey Gold Standard protein, its much better than Muscle Milk with a lot less fat/calorie content. I have the double rich chocolate flavor and it's addicting.

Last edited by ZJP; 02-17-2010 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 07:42 PM   #20
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Get some ON 100% Whey Gold Standard protein, its much better than Muscle Milk with a lot less fat/calorie content. I have the double rich chocolate flavor and it's addicting.
You're assumption is that fat makes you fat which is simply NOT the case. Cholesterol makes ALL of your hormones (including testosterone), allows for fat soluble vitamins to be absorbed, facilitates the absorption of proteins, makes 50% of the cell membrane for ALL of your trillions of cells, provides the sheathe that surrounds nerves, repairs the brain, allows trainees to avoid soft tissue injuries from over use, and helps regulate blood sugar.

The low fat talk is a reason why so many are fat as a diet that is low fat is HIGH carb. Most people are severely deficient in their natural fat intake and are overcoming carbohydrates which is leading to record obesity, inflammatory diseases, and blood sugar regulation problems.

The whey you recommend isn't bioavailable.

If the OP has fat in the midsection around the umbilicus (belly button), it is due to excessive stress of some kind a that is where cortisol receptor sites are located. If the OP has fat in the love handle region, he has blood sugar regulation problems from over consumption of carbohydrates particularly starches, grains, sugars, alcohol, and refined carbohydrates because that is where insulin receptor sites are located (in addition to the upper, middle back near the scapula).
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 09:10 PM   #21
wwjbd24
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
You're assumption is that fat makes you fat which is simply NOT the case. Cholesterol makes ALL of your hormones (including testosterone), allows for fat soluble vitamins to be absorbed, facilitates the absorption of proteins, makes 50% of the cell membrane for ALL of your trillions of cells, provides the sheathe that surrounds nerves, repairs the brain, allows trainees to avoid soft tissue injuries from over use, and helps regulate blood sugar.

The low fat talk is a reason why so many are fat as a diet that is low fat is HIGH carb. Most people are severely deficient in their natural fat intake and are overcoming carbohydrates which is leading to record obesity, inflammatory diseases, and blood sugar regulation problems.

The whey you recommend isn't bioavailable.

If the OP has fat in the midsection around the umbilicus (belly button), it is due to excessive stress of some kind a that is where cortisol receptor sites are located. If the OP has fat in the love handle region, he has blood sugar regulation problems from over consumption of carbohydrates particularly starches, grains, sugars, alcohol, and refined carbohydrates because that is where insulin receptor sites are located (in addition to the upper, middle back near the scapula).
are these handled differently when it comes to weight loss? i suffer from the former but everything i try is, well...
Appreciate 0
      02-17-2010, 11:01 PM   #22
Bobby_Light
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwjbd24 View Post
are these handled differently when it comes to weight loss? i suffer from the former but everything i try is, well...
So you suffer from both fat accumulation around the midsection and love handle area? I'd suggest taking a peek at your free hormone using saliva (not blood) and assess nutrition and lifestyle to get a better picture of what may be going on.
Appreciate 0