F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Chris Bangle's lecture on his design philosophy
GetBMWParts

11-18-2009, 10:36 PM   #23
Pimp Star
Captain
Rep
Drives: E39 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3XTR3M3 View Post
Like the new 7, WTF is so special about it?
Put the crack pipe down.

The new 7-series is one of the most beautiful, timeless designs I have ever, ever seen. The interior is extremely functional, logical, and simple but it has another comfort, elegant side. The exterior has no lines for style sake, it's beauty. My all-time favorite BMW designs are: E38, E39, and E46 and the F01/02 are up there. The new 5-series (I love the GT minus the roof line and rear window) will also be great.

Bangle sucked. Period. The E46 is miles better looking than the E90. The E60 is good looking but the E39 is better. So, BMW has been going in the wrong direction until this new 7.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 11:40 PM   #24
stovesax08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i, X5 45e

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pimp Star View Post
Put the crack pipe down.

The new 7-series is one of the most beautiful, timeless designs I have ever, ever seen. The interior is extremely functional, logical, and simple but it has another comfort, elegant side. The exterior has no lines for style sake, it's beauty. My all-time favorite BMW designs are: E38, E39, and E46 and the F01/02 are up there. The new 5-series (I love the GT minus the roof line and rear window) will also be great.

Bangle sucked. Period. The E46 is miles better looking than the E90. The E60 is good looking but the E39 is better. So, BMW has been going in the wrong direction until this new 7.

Bangle has been chief of design at BMW since the early 90's, he is at least partly responsible for most, if not all, of the cars you list as being good looking...
      11-18-2009, 11:48 PM   #25
GP20
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: Z4M, F80 M3, 991.2 GTS

Quote:
Put the crack pipe down.

Noob. Who do you think was the BMW chief of design who approved the E39, E46, Z8? Bangle was with BMW long before the E60, E85 Z4, etc. BMW wanted to go a different direction in designs, and Bangle gave BMW what they wanted. Now people bash Bangle as if he was hired right before the E60 came out.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:15 AM   #26
flightz71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

Quote:
Put the crack pipe down.

+100

and even if Bangle was at BMW since the 90's... at least he designed sensible timeless elegant looking beauties back then until 2002 hit and the 7 came out.

The only thing I like about all his cars from 02-08 were the proportions. Beautiful proportions... mostly appreciated from the side. But add on the grills, headlights, taillights, bumpers... monstrosities came out of what could have been a gorgeous car.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out cars like the 6-series have fuked up looking kidney grills... headlights smushed the the side like the car has downsyndrome.

The 5? What the hell is up with the eye lashes? At least the trunk was much more digestable compared to the 6 and 7.

Z4 looked like it was designed by Picasso on drugs. 0 curve in the hood... a perfectly straight light to seperate the hood and bumper... and two holes drilled out of the bumper and some kidney grills thrown in. FUGLY compared to the muscular menacing Z3.

And the bread and butter 3-series? Those Sedan taillights were a disaster... and the car was horrid until the face and tail lifts this year. The Coupe taillights are one of the ugliest most uninspiring non-timeless shapes ever conceived compared to the simple triangular one on the E46 with the perfect integrated reverse lens on the trunk to compliment the shape of the taillight. The M3? Good god... why is the intake mouth flipped upside down on the bumper to make it look like it has the lips of a croaking TOAD? The cheesy grill in the rear bumper with the upward curves? No Mercedes-Benz AMG bodykit is ever questionable in it's design.

The new 7, new Z4, and new 5 are FINALLY back to win. X5 and X6 are definite wins too. Clean, timeless styles with a hint of 2010 with their oversized grills. Taillights, headlights all use elegant soft on the eye shapes that define beauty, sportiness, aggressive and grace. NOTHING controversial.

The new 7 looks like an German LS460? SO WHAT. The LS460 is the most BEAUTIFUL Full sized sedan I have ever seen when it came out. The trunk and rear end are BEAUTIFUL! S-Class went 100x fail by trying to copy a Bangle Butt with a disaster of a rear end compared to the 2000-2006 elegant timeless rear end (my favorite new to the new LS)

I cannot wait for the new 3. Nonetheless the M3. With the rumored new 6-cylinder turbo motor and the typical "BMW M enhanced driving feel and sport" treatment to the car... it will be a monster with terrifying tuning potential.

BMW completely lost me as a future customer... (and I would've hoped onto the Audi wagon with all those new gorgeous designs... even if the car drives like shit) but won me back with their new designs this last year. Just my 2 cents.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:31 AM   #27
hudaman
Noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stankia View Post
Bring Bangle Back!
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 05:32 AM   #28
Empowered
Private
Rep
Drives: VW GOLF GTTDI

Quote:
Originally Posted by flightz71 View Post
+100

and even if Bangle was at BMW since the 90's... at least he designed sensible timeless elegant looking beauties back then until 2002 hit and the 7 came out.

The only thing I like about all his cars from 02-08 were the proportions. Beautiful proportions... mostly appreciated from the side. But add on the grills, headlights, taillights, bumpers... monstrosities came out of what could have been a gorgeous car.

It doesn't take a genius to figure out cars like the 6-series have fuked up looking kidney grills... headlights smushed the the side like the car has downsyndrome.

The 5? What the hell is up with the eye lashes? At least the trunk was much more digestable compared to the 6 and 7.

Z4 looked like it was designed by Picasso on drugs. 0 curve in the hood... a perfectly straight light to seperate the hood and bumper... and two holes drilled out of the bumper and some kidney grills thrown in. FUGLY compared to the muscular menacing Z3.

And the bread and butter 3-series? Those Sedan taillights were a disaster... and the car was horrid until the face and tail lifts this year. The Coupe taillights are one of the ugliest most uninspiring non-timeless shapes ever conceived compared to the simple triangular one on the E46 with the perfect integrated reverse lens on the trunk to compliment the shape of the taillight. The M3? Good god... why is the intake mouth flipped upside down on the bumper to make it look like it has the lips of a croaking TOAD? The cheesy grill in the rear bumper with the upward curves? No Mercedes-Benz AMG bodykit is ever questionable in it's design.

The new 7, new Z4, and new 5 are FINALLY back to win. X5 and X6 are definite wins too. Clean, timeless styles with a hint of 2010 with their oversized grills. Taillights, headlights all use elegant soft on the eye shapes that define beauty, sportiness, aggressive and grace. NOTHING controversial.

The new 7 looks like an German LS460? SO WHAT. The LS460 is the most BEAUTIFUL Full sized sedan I have ever seen when it came out. The trunk and rear end are BEAUTIFUL! S-Class went 100x fail by trying to copy a Bangle Butt with a disaster of a rear end compared to the 2000-2006 elegant timeless rear end (my favorite new to the new LS)

I cannot wait for the new 3. Nonetheless the M3. With the rumored new 6-cylinder turbo motor and the typical "BMW M enhanced driving feel and sport" treatment to the car... it will be a monster with terrifying tuning potential.

BMW completely lost me as a future customer... (and I would've hoped onto the Audi wagon with all those new gorgeous designs... even if the car drives like shit) but won me back with their new designs this last year. Just my 2 cents.
Enough of the hating. May be you d prefer it on a Lexus forum.
      11-19-2009, 10:37 AM   #29
3XTR3M3
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 AW M3 6MT

Quote:
Put the crack pipe down.

"Bangle sucked. Period." lol ok Count of Bavaria, you get the final say

"The new 7-series is one of the most beautiful, timeless designs I have ever, ever seen" Wow. You are saying the BMW 7 Series is one of the most beautiful, timeless designs. Jesus dude, pull your head out of your ass. Obviously theres no Ferraris or Porsches where you live.

Your post makes me want to PICK UP the crack pipe. ask your sister if I can borrow hers.
      11-19-2009, 12:23 PM   #30
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Bangle was head of design. The various designs that came out were done by various people in the department. The current head of BMW design is the guy that actually designed the E65 7 series that some of you hate.

Bangle was good for BMWs bottom line and ended up being one of the more influential modern designers.

I don't agree with everything in the following article, but I agree with most of it:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/0...who-saved-bmw/

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:25 PM   #31
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisV View Post
Bangle was head of design. The various designs that came out were done by various people in the department. The current head of BMW design is the guy that actually designed the E65 7 series that some of you hate.

Bangle was good for BMWs bottom line and ended up being one of the more influential modern designers.

I don't agree with everything in the following article, but I agree with most of it:

http://www.speedsportlife.com/2009/0...who-saved-bmw/
Are you talking about Adrian Von Hoydonk? Didn't he also design the 1er?

Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 02:33 PM   #32
E39hijinks
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 Lexus

I also liked Bangle's designs.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 05:45 PM   #33
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
+100

I disagree with almost everything you said, and that makes me happy.

It means Bangle was successful. He made polarizing designs that made people actually give a shit and love or hate them. Granted, there were a few quirks that could have been handled differently (almost all the pre-FL models had issues), but at least they stirred up some passion.

The 6er is one of the models that sparked my interest in car design altogether. It was so different for its time...I loved it for that. The trunk was one of the main reasons.

Also, it's not like he pens all the models that get released during his time as design chief. Far from it.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 01:10 AM   #34
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

i heard next M3 look will be designed by bangle.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 11:34 AM   #35
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

i cant lie i dont like all bangle era bmws, but one think i know, i really love some bmws from that era, i mean they actually make me feel something towards em. i love the e46, love the e92, love the e60,love the new x5, and really really really love the e85 (i bought one even after the new one was unveiled, i just had to have that design so i could see it day after day and as time goes by i get to love this car more and more, there always seem te be a new cool angle to discover) but i didnt like at all some cars like the e90 and the 7 series and even the new x6(not sure if bangle was involved, but i think that what i really hate is that it is a car with no function whatsoever, it isnt a car and it isnt a functional truck). the thing is, there was always something about those cars that inspired feelings on the beholder, love or hate, but they made you feel something. bangle had something that made his cars scream boldness and that was something bmw got to be known for, a person in a bmw felt like a person with an attitude, made you feel like young and stylish, with a certain "i dont care" point of view and i think that this perception was the particular thing that we all got to relate with. but now you see a bmw and you feel.... well you dont feel nothing, right now i actually think that you could swap badges between a bmw and other manufacturers and you woldnt note the difference, just like some previous audis. when you looked at them you saw a car with some good thing, but if im allowed to say it, you saw a car with no soul; a very cold car. looking at those good cars(i see them as reliable cars) i saw just a car, a lot of metal and plastic full of fuel and they actually looked the same, but with bmws there were certain things that made them different from the rest of the car world, they were BMWs period. but now audi is trying to put a soul on their cars and bmw is trying to take the soul out of theirs. and i think we all now which formula works better.
      11-20-2009, 12:48 PM   #36
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP20 View Post
Noob. Who do you think was the BMW chief of design who approved the E39, E46, Z8? Bangle was with BMW long before the E60, E85 Z4, etc. BMW wanted to go a different direction in designs, and Bangle gave BMW what they wanted. Now people bash Bangle as if he was hired right before the E60 came out.
you all have good points, but I like the new 7 than the last one though. much better looking inside/out
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #37
nemex12
Captain
Rep
Drives: e60,z4

oddly enough i like the new 7 series better except for the rear =) and i am not kiddiing, i find those amorphic tail lights hideous
      11-20-2009, 09:32 PM   #38
jrougeux
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i - 6SPD ZSP ZPP

Quote:
+100

11-23-2009, 09:08 PM   #39
flightz71
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 535i

I just find it ironic everyone hated bangle's cars at first and then what... fell in love with them all of a sudden when a less controversial design comes out?

Read the press release on the new 5... it seems as though industry experts agree with my opinion as a "general consumer"

Haha and apologizes for the strong language... I was just extremely disappointed in the direction BMW took these past years... again... I'm sure along with many other.
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2009, 09:12 PM   #40
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
I just find it ironic everyone hated bangle's cars at first and then what... fell in love with them all of a sudden when a less controversial design comes out?

Read the press release on the new 5... it seems as though industry experts agree with my opinion as a "general consumer"

Haha and apologizes for the strong language... I was just extremely disappointed in the direction BMW took these past years... again... I'm sure along with many other.
+1. Ive always liked Bangle's more recent designs. Always gotten flamed for it too.

And for those hating on the old 7. COmmon, it looked much better after the facelift.

Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 06:36 AM   #41
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

I'm not a fan of any of his designs, at all, or any new bmw, the e39 was the last bmw that I actually kinda liked, and even that one was starting to have it's lines all rounded off

at least under the sheetmetal they are still bmw's
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 07:02 PM   #42
datbimmerdoe
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: like I'M BOUT THAT LIFE

Gone but not forgotten.

FOLLOW @datbimmerdoe on INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 06:16 PM   #43
Cookiemonster
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 335XI e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot_bro2003 View Post
+1

...it's also interesting to note that now Toyota, Honda, have all copied what Chris Bangle has done. I'm more irritated that they (other manufactures) don't give him his due proppers for what he's done for the industry. If the "bangle butt" was so ugly it's funny how everyone else tried to make their cars have a variation of the same theme which is quite evident.
You could have Elmo designing BMW's or Benz's and Toyota and Honda would copy them. Its not about the design with the Japanese companys but what badge the design is attached to.
      11-28-2009, 08:17 AM   #44
bobbyd1961
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2009 M3 sedan LeMans Blue

im not a bangle fan whoever designed the new 5 should be boss. the m have there own designers, not bangle
Appreciate 0