F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Contemplating 2010 Audi A5 or BMW Coupe 328i
GetBMWParts

11-24-2009, 09:15 PM   #23
Heinzftw
Major
Rep
Drives: 2000 Civic+2008 Accord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti335 View Post
A5 is a 4-cylinder car based on a FWD platform. Essentially, it's a very nice econobox. No real car enthusiast would pick that over a RWD car with an I6.
A5 3.2 S-Line would out handle a 328

-█--------█-
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 09:30 PM   #24
Ti335
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
First of all, the 3.2 S-line costs way more that the 335i, let alone the 328i. And second, no, it wouldn't.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2009, 10:45 PM   #25
MaybeBIM
Rep
Drives: No Bimmer

Whoa!! No car wars, guys!!

Thanks for all your posts, people.

Yes, I think most of you didn't know that the new 2010 Audi A5 is now priced in 328i territory thanks to its 2.0l option. And yes, performance wise, they're both closely comparable. However, the BMW 4 year/50,000 mile free maintenance program is very attractive. Looks like most of you are saying A5. Thanks for your opinions. Nevertheless, I will test drive both of them to see what the ultimate decision is.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 05:03 AM   #26
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heinzftw View Post
Actually Ti335 is correct, the A5 isn't a better handling car than the equivalent BMW model, which is the 330i over here. If you are looking for a better handler in this size of Audi you need to go to an A4 (better balance weight over each axle).

I Question to the OP, if rear space isn't an issue why not look at the TT-S, it's got quattro, it's got 272hp and a lot of torque and it's lighter than all of the others and a better handling car than all of them. Plus I bet you anything that it will feel more responsive and alert than even an M3 will ................... and it's a looker.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:34 AM   #27
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaybeBIM View Post

the clutch was horrible, it just felt awkward, a real impediment to enjoying the car. Further, I expected at least a decent exhaust note -- there is none. I didn't get to take it out on the highway so I can't comment on the top end, I'm betting it is decent though. Aside from the quad pipes, I don't believe there is much to separate it from the base model. I find the looks attractive but also a bit plain and too conservative for my tastes. For around 65 k I'd be looking at a used Carrera 4S instead. I will say that the cabin was cushy, comfortable, and luxurious: this is no young man's car. A german version of the lexus sc of sorts, for some reason with a manual version.
I also drove a TT-S which is a flat out embaressment -- it is similar to driving a Honda Prelude only slower and sticker price is upwards of 50k. It looks nice though.

Why not go with a CPO version of a better car? 335?
I am sorry but I will be open with you -- you have NO clue about cars.
- the transmission and clutch is 5x better on Audi than on any Bimmer (and I had Bimmers for some time prior to Audi)
- "there is not much to separate" between the S5 and A5!!!
- TTS and Honda Prelude...

To the OP:
A4/A5 go against 328 E90/E92 in the USA
S4/S5 vs. 335 E90/E92 (next year S5 should get the same engine as the S4)

Currently, the above mentioned Audi models outperform the Bimmer in every category (price, performance, looks are subjective...) except the steering feel...

I don't doubt that the next gen 3er will turn this around, and so on...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 08:38 AM   #28
sokdo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Actually Ti335 is correct, the A5 isn't a better handling car than the equivalent BMW model, which is the 330i over here. If you are looking for a better handler in this size of Audi you need to go to an A4 (better balance weight over each axle).

I Question to the OP, if rear space isn't an issue why not look at the TT-S, it's got quattro, it's got 272hp and a lot of torque and it's lighter than all of the others and a better handling car than all of them. Plus I bet you anything that it will feel more responsive and alert than even an M3 will ................... and it's a looker.
For the price of the TTS though you could get a 335i
also the website specs for the TTS is 265 hp and 258 torque.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 09:06 AM   #29
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sokdo View Post
US vs. Europe spec
TTS goes against the Z4, not 335, so it is priced nicely...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 11:43 AM   #30
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by sokdo View Post
I didn't check the price of the TT-S in the US but if you say it's that dear then I can't argue. But it's achingly pretty, much nicer than the E92 and it's interior has a sportscar feel that neither the A5 or 328i do and it actually will perform equally as good as the 335i because of it's weight, but on feel and on a track it will walk rings around the 335i.

It might be more a competitor of the Z4 but unlike it the TT has rear seats and a usable boot, think of it as something between a Z4 and a E92.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 11:49 AM   #31
MaybeBIM
Rep

Quote:
The Audi TTS is too expensive for my budget and I'm not a big fan of the design. If I had the budget for the TTS, then I would get a S4 or 335i instead.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 11:50 AM   #32
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
a5 + apr chip and it's game over.
      11-25-2009, 12:03 PM   #33
MaybeBIM
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr325i View Post

To the OP:
A4/A5 go against 328 E90/E92 in the USA
S4/S5 vs. 335 E90/E92 (next year S5 should get the same engine as the S4)

Currently, the above mentioned Audi models outperform the Bimmer in every category (price, performance, looks are subjective...) except the steering feel...

I don't doubt that the next gen 3er will turn this around, and so on...
Perhaps I should wait? Maybe I should research a bit more on upcoming BMW models. 2010 will be the year I will be buying my first European car. I even considered the New VW GTI; that car also has similar performance numbers as the A5 2.0l and 328i according to This month's Car and Driver Magazine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
I'm going to research APR chip once I get home from work. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #34
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fatmatt0116 View Post
the clutch was horrible, it just felt awkward, a real impediment to enjoying the car. Further, I expected at least a decent exhaust note -- there is none. I didn't get to take it out on the highway so I can't comment on the top end, I'm betting it is decent though. Aside from the quad pipes, I don't believe there is much to separate it from the base model. I find the looks attractive but also a bit plain and too conservative for my tastes. For around 65 k I'd be looking at a used Carrera 4S instead. I will say that the cabin was cushy, comfortable, and luxurious: this is no young man's car. A german version of the lexus sc of sorts, for some reason with a manual version.
I also drove a TT-S which is a flat out embaressment -- it is similar to driving a Honda Prelude only slower and sticker price is upwards of 50k. It looks nice though.

Why not go with a CPO version of a better car? 335?
I definite BMW Fanboy post if ever there was one.

Having owned both an M3 and an S5 I can tell you that the clutch and gear shift of the S5 was much smoother than the M3s I drove, maybe more miles on them would have proved things but I doubt it would have improved enough to approach being better.

Next your comments about the TT-S, I actually doubt you ever tested the TT because it feels nothing like a Honda and it certainly wouldn't be slower. In fact it's as quick on a track as your Z4M.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 03:26 PM   #35
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dubbedown View Post
Against a 328i, maybe, but nothing else. I'm not sure what the point would be anyway. If you love the A5 style, but want speed, you have to go with the S5 and even that is nothing to write home about in terms of performance. The 5 series is a beautiful car, but it's the wrong car to get if you're thinking about the track or even stop light wars. For that you need either less weight or more engine.
      11-25-2009, 08:28 PM   #36
DFW_M
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
Against a 328i, maybe, but nothing else. I'm not sure what the point would be anyway. If you love the A5 style, but want speed, you have to go with the S5 and even that is nothing to write home about in terms of performance. The 5 series is a beautiful car, but it's the wrong car to get if you're thinking about the track or even stop light wars. For that you need either less weight or more engine.
I believe that is what the OP is debating on -- A5 or 328.
A5 2.0T + APR gives you ~255HP/255TQ. Mid 5's 0-60. And that out of a 4-cyl engine.

S4 is an equal or better track performer than the 335, I would expect the S5 with the V6SC (next year) to be even better...
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2009, 10:29 PM   #37
Nawaaz
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: .

ummmmm....A5.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:07 AM   #38
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

in just the past month....the last three A5's i have seen on the road were women drivers...and then last week my sister came over and said "have you seen the new A5.....damn...its so hot"
and last night when i configured one on their website and really considered to buy one.....by dick turned inside out and turned into a VAGINA...and them my nipples became very sensitive and then i bought a box set of Sex in the city..watched the whole box set while doing my nails!!!....sheeshk...that was messed up!
im heading down to my local BMW dealership and gittin me a brochure!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:29 AM   #39
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

OH MY GOD.....a BMW Fanboy on a BMW forum...go figure!
by the way:
would the bus driver who dropped off all these Audi fanboys on this forum please pick them up and drop them off at the nearest Audi forum....ummm...wait....Audi forum's suck as they dont have many members who are pleased with their purchase.....perhaps drop them off at the nearest MB forum...they need some company!....and they dress the same....pink polo shirts with a popped collar!

kidding....we love you Audi fanboys...you can hang out with us...no problem!
peace!

Quote:
I definite BMW Fanboy post if ever there was one.

Having owned both an M3 and an S5 I can tell you that the clutch and gear shift of the S5 was much smoother than the M3s I drove, maybe more miles on them would have proved things but I doubt it would have improved enough to approach being better.

Next your comments about the TT-S, I actually doubt you ever tested the TT because it feels nothing like a Honda and it certainly wouldn't be slower. In fact it's as quick on a track as your Z4M.
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:34 AM   #40
Garduna
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: Sedona 1er|Yellow S3|NardoTTRS

If I had to pick between the two, A5 would get my vote
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 12:59 AM   #41
Schumacher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90

If the A5 2.0t wasn't driven by so many MILF's, i would buy one. Its got lots of kit at a decent price.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 08:27 PM   #42
Big Block Mopar
United_States
Rep
Drives: 68 Charger R/T, '17 HC Charger

Well I have both an Audi and a BMW in my garage and have driven nearly every offering of each over the last few years. The one area where BMW wins is in the steering. The on-center and turn-in feel of the BMW is unmatched by Audi. You just feel more connected in a BMW, but that's not to say that the Audi will not dynamically do what a BMW will. I just find my Audi's steering too light for my taste.

With that said, I perfer the exterior appearance, interior appearance and overall fit and finish of an Audi to the comparable BMW. Dealership experience has been a push, although my BMW shop is much closer and I know a few of them personally and like how I'm treated.

To the OP, the A5 is NOT a sports car. It is more of a GT car and even then it's not an S5. The S5 looks great, has a really nice interior, is pretty rare and makes great noises. I would perfer the new 3.0T (supercharged) motor in the coupe instead of the 4.2, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon (it is coming in the S5 Cab). As for the 2.0T in the A5, it's a great little motor and really responds to mods. With that, I'm not sure it fits the style of the A5. Even when you do chip, exhaust and whatever else, it will not be the same. By the way, my TT is APR Stg 2/with exhaust. It's pretty quick for a 29xx lb car.

Have you looked into a CPO'd RS4? To me, it's the best car Audi has built (R8 is a different deal) and can be purchased at a very reasonable price.

Whichever way you choose, it will be a nice mode of transport. At the moment you're trying to sort b/w an Audi and a BMW. That's a pretty good problem to have, eh?

Regards,
John
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2009, 11:28 PM   #43
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep

the S5 is smokin hot....and rare it is....because its severely over priced...not a great buy for the price!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NC Audi View Post
Well I have both an Audi and a BMW in my garage and have driven nearly every offering of each over the last few years. The one area where BMW wins is in the steering. The on-center and turn-in feel of the BMW is unmatched by Audi. You just feel more connected in a BMW, but that's not to say that the Audi will not dynamically do what a BMW will. I just find my Audi's steering too light for my taste.

With that said, I perfer the exterior appearance, interior appearance and overall fit and finish of an Audi to the comparable BMW. Dealership experience has been a push, although my BMW shop is much closer and I know a few of them personally and like how I'm treated.

To the OP, the A5 is NOT a sports car. It is more of a GT car and even then it's not an S5. The S5 looks great, has a really nice interior, is pretty rare and makes great noises. I would perfer the new 3.0T (supercharged) motor in the coupe instead of the 4.2, but it doesn't look like that's going to happen anytime soon (it is coming in the S5 Cab). As for the 2.0T in the A5, it's a great little motor and really responds to mods. With that, I'm not sure it fits the style of the A5. Even when you do chip, exhaust and whatever else, it will not be the same. By the way, my TT is APR Stg 2/with exhaust. It's pretty quick for a 29xx lb car.

Have you looked into a CPO'd RS4? To me, it's the best car Audi has built (R8 is a different deal) and can be purchased at a very reasonable price.

Whichever way you choose, it will be a nice mode of transport. At the moment you're trying to sort b/w an Audi and a BMW. That's a pretty good problem to have, eh?

Regards,
John
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2009, 05:27 AM   #44
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
OH MY GOD.....a BMW Fanboy on a BMW forum...go figure!
by the way:
would the bus driver who dropped off all these Audi fanboys on this forum please pick them up and drop them off at the nearest Audi forum....ummm...wait....Audi forum's suck as they dont have many members who are pleased with their purchase.....perhaps drop them off at the nearest MB forum...they need some company!....and they dress the same....pink polo shirts with a popped collar!

kidding....we love you Audi fanboys...you can hang out with us...no problem!
peace!
Many a member on here that loves their BWMs can still speak well of other brands and when someone is asking an opinion on two cars he would much prefer an unbiased opinion to possibly help towards a decision but the BS in his posts was not representative of either the A5 or the TT-S.

You yourself might well dislike Audi or another brand because it's not a BMW or doesn't provide the kind of driving experience you happen to like or provide the kind of value for money you feel BMW offer which is perfectly fine and acceptable but saying basically they are all crap is plain wrong and stupid Fanboyism as it's worst.

Give credit where credit is due.
Appreciate 0