F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > point and shoot night photography
Studio RSR

03-05-2008, 04:08 AM   #1
89andy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: E92 328xi

point and shoot night photography

can anyone give me any pointers for night photography with the use of point and shoot cameras? Also, how to properly take images of strong lighting so as to avoid overexposure (ie. car headlights)? Thanks.
2007 E92 328xi sapphire black / black leatherette / step / premium / iDrive / sport seat / pdc / GP thunder angels / 35% tint / matte black grille / 6000k hid fog / 6000k D1S / led license plate / painted reflectors / m3 spoiler
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2008, 12:06 PM   #2
bartman32
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2

Garage List
2017 M2  [0.00]
Night photography is all about what you are looking for in the picture. If the subject is close and that's all you want to see use your flash. If its far away or you want to see everything around and behind your subject don't use a flash and move up your ISO and slow your shutter speed. It helps to have a tripod for these. It all depends on how many options your p&s has but that's the basics. For an advanced effect (I don't know if any p&s have this option) you can use your flash AND extend your shutter speed past the time of the flash so your subject is highlighted but the background is there as well.

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2008, 12:25 AM   #3
The_Blob
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

First and foremost, use a tripod if you want to take very good sharp photos. Most point and shoot cameras have night time photo mode so it will use a larger apeture with a slower shutter speed and higher ISO. I use a Canon Powershot G6 and it's an awesome camera for night time photography and even without flash, I can take pics of a very dim room thanks to the large apeture F 2.0.
Appreciate 0