E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > 320d juddering

11-02-2009, 04:23 AM   #1
Zack
E92 320d
Cyprus
Rep
Drives: E92 320d M Sport

320d juddering

Has anyone else experienced this problem or know what may be the cause of it:

While driving in 2nd or 3rd gear with middle acceleration, at around 1750-1900rpm (clutch pedal fully released), the car judders back and forth (kangaroo). The juddering is more severe in 2nd gear but in each case disappears above around 1900rpm.

It doesn't happen every time, however I noticed that if I rev the car for a while, the judder disappears for 1-2 min. After that, the problem reappears (judder in 2nd/3rd at 1750-1900rpm). Also there is no juddering with full acceleration.

Car is 2 years, 14k miles.

I also noticed some juddering in cold weather when pulling away. After driving 4-5 minutes, the juddering disappears. Could this be due to the same problem, what ever that is?

Took it to dealer (within warranty) and gave me bull**** that they didn't find any fault, but told me that may be due to the clutch. He said that since clutch is under "worn parts" its not covered! Worn part @ 14k miles!!! Will take it again on Wedn.

Any ideas?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 04:33 AM   #2
PeteJ
Diesel Head
Scotland
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport Convertible E93

Yeah, the juddering is a problem on the 2.0D engines and BMW have said that they are working on a software fix (or at least this is what they have told me)

if you the forum for juddering you should find a few posts about the problem. you are certainly not the only one!

Hope this helps

Pete
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2009, 04:47 AM   #3
Zack
E92 320d
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteJ View Post
Yeah, the juddering is a problem on the 2.0D engines and BMW have said that they are working on a software fix (or at least this is what they have told me)

if you the forum for juddering you should find a few posts about the problem. you are certainly not the only one!

Hope this helps

Pete
Thanks for the answer. I read about it elsewhere but I wasn't sure if it was the same problem. Also someone mentioned that the software fix is already out, at least in the UK.

So I printed those posts about the similar/same problem to show it to the guy at bmw service. Because I'm 1000% sure that they don't have a clue about the problem, let alone how to fix it.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:24 PM   #4
kennedy_dub
Rep
Drives: E92 320d

I sent my car in for a software update for the clutch today in Ireland, seems to have solved the problem!
After the update you hav to change your style a bit.
Press down the clutch, accelerate a small bit, depress the accelerator and the car will automatically rev to 1250 revs and then you just release the clutch like normal. Makes for a seamless start!
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2009, 02:26 PM   #5
SiKkBaSs
GTR'in it
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Nissan GTR Black Edition

Garage List
2006 325i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy_dub View Post
I sent my car in for a software update for the clutch today in Ireland, seems to have solved the problem!
After the update you hav to change your style a bit.
Press down the clutch, accelerate a small bit, depress the accelerator and the car will automatically rev to 1250 revs and then you just release the clutch like normal. Makes for a seamless start!
More like mash the pedal to the floor and feel all that torque!
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 01:35 AM   #6
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
I don't think the OP has the same problem that others are having with their 320d clutches juddering, this is happening when pulling away and not at speed, as the OP is experiencing.
      12-05-2009, 02:13 AM   #7
Zack
E92 320d
Cyprus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Dave View Post
I don't think the OP has the same problem that others are having with their 320d clutches juddering, this is happening when pulling away and not at speed, as the OP is experiencing.
I have both now

I will get the clutch replaced in a week...hopefully it will be fixed
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 02:54 AM   #8
kennedy_dub
Rep

Speed religion sell a cdv unit which apparently fixes some or all problems?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 02:55 AM   #9
Dr Dave
Zummerzet Zyder Drinker!
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: '06 330D Le Mans Blue

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennedy_dub View Post
Speed religion sell a cdv unit which apparently fixes some or all problems?

"Did sell"
      12-05-2009, 09:57 AM   #10
foxy-367
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport

I have had the software fix like Kennedy it has taken me a week to get used to the changed driving style. I prefer Sikkbass' idea though!

Mine certainly didn't judder on the move just when setting off, don't get fobbed off, and as for wear and not being covered that sounds like a good dose of fobbing off to me!!!!

Now - E90 320d M Sport, Le Mans Blue, sun protection glass, Auto lights and wipers, 193M, a big grin
Previous - Seat Leon FR, Golf Gttdi (x2), Mk3 Fiesta SI, E30 318i Peugeot 205 Roland Garros, Mk2 Fiesta Ghia (it had a rev counter!!!!)
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2009, 10:52 AM   #11
Walesy
24 cans in a case, 24 hours in a day Hmmmmmm
Scotland
Rep
Drives: BMW G30 MSport

what year are these cars that thos is happening to, mine is a 2007 and I have had no issue. Reason I am asking is that the warranty runs out in march some time and I want to try and get the software all update of poss.

Thanks
      12-05-2009, 03:20 PM   #12
COLSEN
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 320i MSport > Merc C220CDI

this is not just the 320d. I had the exact same kangeroo problem on my 320i which dissapeard after a recent software upgrade, it seemed to be as I changed down to 2nd gear at a certain speed and gently pressed the gas pedal the car didn't no what to do, so it bounced its booty down the road! I agree that you have to learn to drive the car again after the update as it seems to react ever so slightly differently.

Appreciate 0
      12-06-2009, 03:17 AM   #13
kennedy_dub
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxy-367 View Post
I have had the software fix like Kennedy it has taken me a week to get used to the changed driving style. I prefer Sikkbass' idea though!

Mine certainly didn't judder on the move just when setting off, don't get fobbed off, and as for wear and not being covered that sounds like a good dose of fobbing off to me!!!!
I'll be mentioning it to BMW Ireland when I write to them today, I'll see what their reply is.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2010, 04:32 PM   #14
Bradders
Registered
Rep
Drives: 320d M Sport

Clutch Judder

I've got a 320d, its a 09 model and the judder started pretty much straight away and wasnt limited to cold or hill starts. i previoulsy had the 120d and that had the same problem.

i put it down to my driving until i took it back in, initially they upgraded the software and asked me to see how i got on, a week later and the problem returned so BMW replaced the clutch and flywheel under warranty.

Unfortunatley that hasnt cured the problem, so either the said work wasnt actually completed or there is a much larger problem with the 320d, but either way they need to sort, i will post a further update once its been back in.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2010, 12:05 PM   #15
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 320d

Mine is going in again next Tuesday after having a new clutch and fly wheel fitted last June and after about 12000 miles.

Hopefully, they try the software and a new clutch as Im concerned that there may already be a problem with this clutch as its juddering again so just doing the software wont last.

I wonder what BMWs stance will be when your are out of warranty and it materialises again? My warranty is up November and looking and the comprehensive it does say (mind you so does the regular 3 years) that the clutch isnt covered.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 01:16 PM   #16
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Just an update for you all with the same issue. Apparently there is another software update due in the next few weeks that will 'hopefully' address the problem (well that's what I was told today). The dealer said that there are quite a few people waiting for it too as I've been added to the list.

Interestingly as well is that this software also fixed the bulb out errors I've had on my rear lights intermittently (even though I understand that this is resolved by changing the bulb assembly). Hope this helps someone.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2010, 04:04 PM   #17
hems77
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2019 G30 520i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by djnas123 View Post
Just an update for you all with the same issue. Apparently there is another software update due in the next few weeks that will 'hopefully' address the problem (well that's what I was told today). The dealer said that there are quite a few people waiting for it too as I've been added to the list.

Interestingly as well is that this software also fixed the bulb out errors I've had on my rear lights intermittently (even though I understand that this is resolved by changing the bulb assembly). Hope this helps someone.
how do i get myself on the list at my local dealers for the software update?

also had my clutch replaced earlier this year under warranty, should i still get the software update?

cheers
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2010, 06:56 AM   #18
djnas123
Private
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hems77 View Post
how do i get myself on the list at my local dealers for the software update?

also had my clutch replaced earlier this year under warranty, should i still get the software update?

cheers
I just took my car in yesterday, and they said they will add me to the list.

I guess it may be worth giving them a call and say you know that there is new software in the works for this issue and you want them to let you know when it becomes availabel so you can take your car in.

I really hope it fixes it this time, I hate having people in the car when it does it as tehy probably think my clutch control is pants
Appreciate 0