BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-20-2011, 12:51 AM   #23
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW86 View Post
Yeah mate I've got a few prices, not a great deal of discounting to buy 1 but there are discounts if we purchase multiple LSD's. Shipping is around $150 for 1 bolted.
let me know if you want to do a "group buy".. haha this is soooo tempting
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 12:52 AM   #24
BMW86
Major General
Australia
Rep
Drives: RS3 Sedan / Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by 130iguy View Post
wouldnt it be more worthwhile to spend the extra $150 then? also this thread is causing me to seriously consider spending the money i had set aside for tires for when my new wheels arrive...
On paper the Wavetrac is better, the only thing going against it is it's relatively new and hasn't proven itself yet. The Quaife is more expensive but has a reputation for long term reliability and noise free operation. There's not much in it if you ask me.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:03 AM   #25
alik01
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: Slowly & Responsibly

Everything I've read about the Quaife has been awesome, first I'm hearing of the Wavetrac.

A friend of my was saying he had an uprated one on a supercharged E46 and said it was awesome.

I almost got one but the lack of any good diff shops and the utter uselessness of the dealer here convinced me otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:09 AM   #26
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post
Awesome, see you there minijet!

Do you have the Quaife as well? If not, is it easy to hold the 135i in a constant radius power oversteer with the e-LSD? Although I've never tried, I think it would be pretty difficult in the 130i with an open diff, hence my purchase of the Quaife before the skidpan day :P
Er.. i may or may not have a quaife

and for those of you looking to source a quaife from overseas. if $1400+ is the benchmark for the quaife i would recommend just speaking frankly with Andrew at southern BM as his prices are actually not too far off from the above price.

i think you just need to consider if that small differential in price is enough to pay for the hassle of dealing with an american dealer if something goes wrong... and the extra costs of shipping it back if need be...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:33 AM   #27
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by evolution42 View Post
Clutch-pack LSD's will do this, but the Quaife is a helical (torque-biasing) diff which transfers power as long as there is any amount of grip on the slipping wheel. If one wheel is completely in the air however, it won't be able to transfer any torque to the wheel on the ground.
Sounds a bit useless if this is the case - and from what I've read I know Quaife's aren't useless. I certainly understand clutch type LSDs but I'll have to read up on helical units it appears.

With my open diff there are times when I turn into my steep/sharp driveway & I've got one rear wheel in the air and no traction, even with the e-diff trying to do it's thing. I then have to reverse back and get a run-up. At the track the e-diff thingy has overheated the rear brakes and brought up a dash alarm.

Still looking for a cheapish way to get hold of an LSD for my welded diff type manual 135. Can source from Andrew for ~$4.5k + freight each way + fitting. Can source cheaper from the US but looks like I'd also need a new tailshaft as I'm told the US diff is different from ours. Anybody else with a manual 135 been down this path?
      04-20-2011, 06:02 AM   #28
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 F80, M140i

I haven't read past the first few posts here, but people, please, ,show the love, why not ask me what i can do, why import, i'm the dealer for Quaife, why not at least ask me what i can do. If you have a few guys ready to go, i'll see what i can do. I understand the AUD is good but why not give me a go. I have one 130i Quaife left in stock and ready to ship and a 135i built diff with Quaife ready to go. I just sold a few recently. Geez, tough crowd in here sometimes, i'm not feeling the love much from you guys. Ok send me your interest and the best quotes you can do landed including GST and costs and i'll crunch some numbers. If i can buy 5 or more than i get a better discount so let me know if this is something you guys want.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:12 AM   #29
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by minijet View Post
Er.. i may or may not have a quaife

and for those of you looking to source a quaife from overseas. if $1400+ is the benchmark for the quaife i would recommend just speaking frankly with Andrew at southern BM as his prices are actually not too far off from the above price.

i think you just need to consider if that small differential in price is enough to pay for the hassle of dealing with an american dealer if something goes wrong... and the extra costs of shipping it back if need be...
Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:14 AM   #30
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post
Sounds a bit useless if this is the case - and from what I've read I know Quaife's aren't useless. I certainly understand clutch type LSDs but I'll have to read up on helical units it appears.

With my open diff there are times when I turn into my steep/sharp driveway & I've got one rear wheel in the air and no traction, even with the e-diff trying to do it's thing. I then have to reverse back and get a run-up. At the track the e-diff thingy has overheated the rear brakes and brought up a dash alarm.

Still looking for a cheapish way to get hold of an LSD for my welded diff type manual 135. Can source from Andrew for ~$4.5k + freight each way + fitting. Can source cheaper from the US but looks like I'd also need a new tailshaft as I'm told the US diff is different from ours. Anybody else with a manual 135 been down this path?
Hi TimMc, The rear wheel going up is worse with upgraded sway bars as well. I have an option for you very very soon for a 135i welded diff. I have one coming up second hand as it is being taken out of a car as he is taking his 1M soon. Email me if you like as he is in Sydney, you and him may be able to do a deal directly, i can facilitate that if you need. So send me an email if you are ready. Thanks for your support.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:25 AM   #31
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

ok, so i am annoyed.

Anyhow, I have just been on the phone to UK and i've pleaded my case. Let's get 5 or more 130i Quaife orders and we'll work with that to get a better discount structure and then i can pass it on.

If you guys tell me what you want the i can only do my very best.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 07:37 AM   #32
TimMc
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by andrew@southernBM View Post
Hi TimMc, The rear wheel going up is worse with upgraded sway bars as well. I have an option for you very very soon for a 135i welded diff. I have one coming up second hand as it is being taken out of a car as he is taking his 1M soon. Email me if you like as he is in Sydney, you and him may be able to do a deal directly, i can facilitate that if you need. So send me an email if you are ready. Thanks for your support.
I've only upgraded my front bar so far, mainly because of this.

Sorry you're annoyed Andrew and I certainly was going to get back to you before I bought elsewhere. I'd MUCH rather buy local if I can and would rather support those who already look after us. 2nd hand LSD sounds like a good option and I get down to Sydney reasonably often. I'll send you another email.

Anybody else keen to get in on a group buy through Andrew though?
      04-20-2011, 07:44 AM   #33
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2022 G80 M3 Competition xDrive

Garage List
Andrew- love to share the love with you. I did obtain a quote from you and had it been in the ballpark, I would’ve definitely chosen to buy locally from you. In the end, I went with the most economical option- I hope you can understand my decision.

Having said that, if you are able to source a bulk discount, there seem to be many 130i/135i owners on this thread who are now genuinely interested in the Quaife. I’m sure they'd be happy to go for it.

Guys, this is a great opportunity Andrew may provide here.. bulk discount, strong dollar, great product... don’t hold back! Have an early Christmas present
      04-20-2011, 05:42 PM   #34
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

HP Autowerkes tell me it is $1450 USD for a Quaife for 130i. How much was your freight,customs, gst, local charge break up etc. I'd like to know your landed Aussie cost please, if that is not too much trouble. I'll ask Harold as well. We might get to the bottom of this pretty soon.

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 06:13 PM   #35
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
HP Autowerkes tell me it is $1450 USD for a Quaife for 130i. How much was your freight,customs, gst, local charge break up etc. I'd like to know your landed Aussie cost please, if that is not too much trouble. I'll ask Harold as well. We might get to the bottom of this pretty soon.

Thank you.
I was quoted 1305USD for the diff and 154USD for shipping to my door
      04-21-2011, 12:54 AM   #36
MikeVictor
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: anything given a chance

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimMc View Post

Anybody else keen to get in on a group buy through Andrew though?
Yup
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:14 AM   #37
jozeff
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW 130i

Hi guys,

would an LSD help to improve the driving experience on a road car? I would lo e to have one installed if it would add to the everyday driving experience.

Joe
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2011, 08:48 AM   #38
skyscraper_g80
First Lieutenant
Australia
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jozeff View Post
Hi guys,

would an LSD help to improve the driving experience on a road car? I would lo e to have one installed if it would add to the everyday driving experience.

Joe
If you find the 130i has a lack of traction (especially in the wet) during your everyday driving, or you're fond of power oversteer, then the Quaife would definitely improve the experience If you barely ever have DSC/DTC intervention, then it's questionable whether it'd be worth investing in.
      04-22-2011, 08:01 PM   #39
JB4-335
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 BSM & E70 AW

Hi Andrew,

I would potentially be interested in a Quaife. I'm a 2008 135i and traction is always an issue. I consider taking my other car out when it's raining outside and I have new sticky tyres.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2011, 07:50 AM   #40
smilebrian
Rep
Drives: 130i

I'm interested in the Quaife LSD, is this group buy option still open/happening?
Happy to buy locally if the price gets close to HP.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 07:41 PM   #41
andrew@southernBM
Australia
Rep

The Quaife LSD units of 130i Manual and Automatic cars are now $1650. The LSD unit comes on its own in a box ready to be installed into your housing. The process is that you would go into your chosen shop, they would remove your diff assembly, disassemble to diff, install the Quaife and then reinstall into the car. In Sydney ALS Performance in Rydalmere (0296800773) do this process for approx $480 plus workshop sundries.
(There may be some variances, so please email me the last 7 digits of your VIN and i will be sure to check it out for you.)

The 135i Automatic cars ($1650) have the same process as above.
(There may be some variances, so please email me the last 7 digits of your VIN and i will be sure to check it out for you.)

The 135i Manual cars after 3/08 have a welded crown wheel and require a lot more work internally. To short cut this, i do the modifications required to the diffs and sell a complete change over differential. All you would need to do is unbolt yours, and bolt this one in. Labour is minimal. You then return your diff to me and i'll rebuild it for the next user. This unit is $3500 change over.

135i DCT are different again-VIN is required

Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 08:38 PM   #42
Orlin
Major
Australia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i

Sounds like a good deal Andrew, I am seriously considering this as my next mod before doing meth as I really do struggle at the drags even with my existing power of 260+rwkw. Adding HP is not difficult and it really does turn into unusable power if you dont add the correct supporting mods. What I do find difficult is running a sub 2 second 60ft! so I say bring on the LSD!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2011, 11:50 PM   #43
130iguy
I'm Riley, I'm awesome
Australia
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 Comp

Quote:
The Quaife LSD units of 130i Manual and Automatic cars are now $1650.

that is a very attractive price, i'm going to sit down and think long and hard about what i want to do

suspension
exhaust
or LSD

all cost about the same, can only afford one atm
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2011, 01:08 AM   #44
minijet
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: Train

Quote:

The 135i Automatic cars ($1650) have the same process as above.
ARGH!!!@#!@# Andrew!!!!
Appreciate 0