F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW's Future Heat Energy Recovery Technology
Extreme Powerhouse

10-20-2009, 05:37 PM   #23
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
it looks like an x6. that front bumper has that weird step in it. i dont remember seeing that in anything related to the f10 5er
yea, but if its an X6 why would it still have the camouflage on the front bumper ???
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 05:54 PM   #24
bmr760
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C, F90 M5C, G05 X5 40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMLXXXIX View Post
it looks like an x6. that front bumper has that weird step in it. i dont remember seeing that in anything related to the f10 5er
looks more like an X5, look at the Headlamps
as for the camo tape. Could be the LCI X5(I could be wrong tho d: )

[Ehh....cant find a pic to compare)

Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 05:59 PM   #25
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueSander View Post
GM is full of retards hence all their executives are making tons and our national debt is on the rise. I have encounter many bad examples, through work, of all the bullshit GM came up with and many of that aren't pretty. Anyhow, I wonder if the amount of electricity from heat will be able to run the AC during summer for the car. That would save 1-2mpg easily. Also, how the hell they can prevent the engine from over heating with all that surrounding closure?
That's the whole idea. Take heat that you would be just throwing to the ambient air (through the radiator, exhaust, and general engine heat losses), capture it and transfer it to make electricity.

In chemical processes (like the combined cycle power plants), waste heat is often converted to steam and/or used to heat other processes going on (through heat exchangers). In a combine cycle power plant, you take heat generate from burning natural gas (usually) in a combustion turbine (think jet engine), convert it to high pressure steam and run a steam turbine. So you have essentially used the waste heat from the first combustion process to generate more electricity from the steam turbine. In chemical plants and refining operations, integration of processes to make use of heat generated from one process to provide energy to another is absolutely key to being able the make almost anything economically.

In the car, it is probably not economical to put in a steam turbine because of cost, and more likely because the steam you could generate with the temperatures engines run at is not high energy to make "high quality" steam.

The main challenge is probably how to cheaply transfer the engine heat away and use it without waste.

With the available heat at low temperatures, it is difficult to use it because the inherent maximum efficiency with be [T(hot) - T(cold)]/T(hot) (where T must be in absolute temperature units like Kelvin or Rankine), which probably won't be over 50% with the possible exception of the exhaust gases. T(hot) would be the engine or exhaust temperature and T(cold) would be the ambient temperature.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 07:51 PM   #26
Bimmer Nerd
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryouken View Post
looks more like an X5, look at the Headlamps
as for the camo tape. Could be the LCI X5(I could be wrong tho d: )

[Ehh....cant find a pic to compare)
yes, that might be true since the latest spy shots suggest that the next generation X5 will share the headlights with the X6.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2009, 09:18 PM   #27
HermesRider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by EngPhys09 View Post
Can I put a bbq grill on my engine and cook dinner on the drive home? 2000 rpm for medium rare?
Actually I've done engine cooking on a motorcycle before... wrap potatoes in foil and lodge them next to the engine. Ride for an hour, and voila! baked potato. Guys riding behind you tend to get hungry though...
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 01:08 PM   #28
J-Raid
Private
Rep
Drives: E46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artmasterx View Post
That's the whole idea. Take heat that you would be just throwing to the ambient air (through the radiator, exhaust, and general engine heat losses), capture it and transfer it to make electricity.

In chemical processes (like the combined cycle power plants), waste heat is often converted to steam and/or used to heat other processes going on (through heat exchangers). In a combine cycle power plant, you take heat generate from burning natural gas (usually) in a combustion turbine (think jet engine), convert it to high pressure steam and run a steam turbine. So you have essentially used the waste heat from the first combustion process to generate more electricity from the steam turbine. In chemical plants and refining operations, integration of processes to make use of heat generated from one process to provide energy to another is absolutely key to being able the make almost anything economically.

In the car, it is probably not economical to put in a steam turbine because of cost, and more likely because the steam you could generate with the temperatures engines run at is not high energy to make "high quality" steam.

The main challenge is probably how to cheaply transfer the engine heat away and use it without waste.

With the available heat at low temperatures, it is difficult to use it because the inherent maximum efficiency with be [T(hot) - T(cold)]/T(hot) (where T must be in absolute temperature units like Kelvin or Rankine), which probably won't be over 50% with the possible exception of the exhaust gases. T(hot) would be the engine or exhaust temperature and T(cold) would be the ambient temperature.
Indeed, though weight and space doesn't help either (yet). That was clear in the BMW TurboSteamer prototype http://www.autoblog.com/2005/12/09/b...-hot-and-goes/

Once it is further developed (in some 10 years), it should be a great addition to further enhance efficiency
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 02:48 PM   #29
Artmasterx
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Garage List
2006 Volvo V70R  [10.00]
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Cool... more moving parts is always a worry from a maintenance point of view, especially when it is intimately mated with the drive train.

FORMERLY: 128i coupe
Alpine White | Sports Package | Black Leather
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2009, 07:07 PM   #30
Quick1 TO BE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 135i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by J-Raid View Post
Note there's camuflage in the front bumper. Could it be the F10 5 series? Hummm

in that case they gave some new info (about the front lights), as they aren't covered unlike the testing prototypes. And they don't look to be the 5GT...perhaps.

Other than that, the idea of recovering heat energy in one way or another isn't new, what is new is that finally someone took the plunge to work seriously on it and can make it economically viable. Thumbs up for BMW, and really hope it's already on the 5 series, along with other new measures for the Efficient Dynamics (ie. the new aero lay out around the wheels?)

Problems were that it was too fragile, too expensive and very difficult to manufacture...in fact it was almost impossible to build two identical ones (to current standard)

Now thats the retarded comment. DO you think they spend the money elsewhere for fun?
Don't be overly and stupedly simplistic like some ignorant pseudo-ecologists.

While electric engines beat internal combustion ones in efficiency, simplicity, torque and other aspects, the problem with electric cars is that batteries are so undeveloped and "useless", with a really small energy density. Petrol is very dominant in that respect.

How many km do you think can be done with a electric car, and with a fuel tank?
Electric cars at best struggle to do more than 400km, while some efficient diesels have gone over 1500km. And most electric cars on sale don't even surpass 150km! Would you, or customers be up to that?
Whats more, would you be up to waiting for few hours (no less than 3, for example), while petrol refuelling takes you 3...minutes!?

Please get informed before saying BS.

The major challenge with E-cars is storage, which for now is rubbish and still needs lot of investment in new developments.

Whats more electric engines get the energy from somewhere, a pollutant source in the majority of cases too. In fact many times coming from coal, that is more pollutant than petrol!
Currently electric cars rather than solving the pollution/energy problem, simply change the place of contaminant emissions.

Lets not forget that while big energy powerplants can beat the 30%aprox efficiency of IC engines, the electrification and all the energy transport, which is then converted into chemical energy in the batteries and back into electricity doesn't overall get much better than IC. Actually only nuclear plants and gas combined cycles could be "winners" in this respect.
Needless to say that batteries add major weight to the car, overall increasing energy consumption.

You don't need that. Actually it is widely "tradition" in summer in Sevilla (southern Spain) to fry eggs and other stuff over the car hood. The good thing is that they don' need to start the engine, cause that heat is coming...from the "horrible" sunshine there!

im sorry but i still think its retarded.. and here is why..

since a simple USB connection costs about 400 bux on a BMW, a system like that is not gonna be cheaper then 3000 dollars..

now lets say u consume about 100 worth of gas a week.. .02 % of startups would probebly be around .50 if not cheaper since the percentage saved is ONLY of FUCKING cold starts.. now if ur the retard one that wants to pay 3000 for a system that would save u .50 a week then go ahead.. u see how shity i looked now cuz i caled u retarded. its just my opinion and u can blow me if u dont like it)

on electric cars.. instead of doing carbon fiber roof and all that gay stuff they can do solar panel roof and hood that will help with being able to do longer trips.. now i know they are underdeveloped but as much as i LOVE bmw (current owner of 3cars- 1983 518i 2006 330i and 2008 135i) they JUST started thinkin about hybryds and all that bullshit dynamic fancy names they come up with inorder to get better mpgs while toyota and honda been doing it for YEARS..
if u got beef with my im a vegitarian` :P no hard feelings
sorry
if u r ever in town ill buy u a beer..

Ash
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2009, 08:23 PM   #31
oneginee
Banned
Rep
Drives: GT3 RS

heat will destroy whatever they wrap the engine with in the medium term. Did they move Bangle to engineering ? sounds like a lot a whacky ideas from summer interns ?
Appreciate 0