F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > The Sony A7 has landed on my lap
Extreme Powerhouse

02-02-2014, 07:40 PM   #1
Teshi
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Blue/Usually full of camera ge

The Sony A7 has landed on my lap

Always been a fan of full frame and also the mirrorless size factor so to see them put together has been great. Still a lot to test but have some goodies to help along the way.

Kit wise I have the grip which is not 100% needed but helps, the 55 1.8 which will be used 90% of the time, the LA-EA4 adaptor and some other Sony Alpha lenses.

Its weird since I would have never thought this was going to be contender to be my everyday/high end camera but it honestly is quite impressive. Not taken many photos to date but some samples so far.

Still plenty to do testing wise so hopefully can put together a proper review shortly.
      02-05-2014, 03:39 PM   #2
danniexi
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2022 F97 X3M Comp LCI

Garage List
awesome. cant wait to see more shots you take with it.

btw that electronic first curtain shutter... feels sooooo damn good when taking a picture.
BMW MY06 E46 325XI - GONE
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 04:22 PM   #3
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

I went into the local camera shop and was inquiring about a Canon 6D. The Sony rep quickly snagged me and pitched the A7 very hard. Essentially everything sucked compared to the A7. The boy had blinders on. "But what about my existing investment in Canon lenses"? There is a converter that makes that possible.

My biggest gripe was how uncomfortable it was to hold with any Canon lens attached. The grip is simply too small, and the camera is incredibly top (lens) heavy.
Appreciate 0
      02-10-2014, 08:58 PM   #4
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Congrats on the A7!

In recent years, Sony has really been putting out some impressive cameras. I never really considered Sony a top tier camera maker until I bought an RX100 - awesome camera. I'm very impressed with the A7/A7r and would love to get my hands on one, if I could afford it!
      02-10-2014, 10:48 PM   #5
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by P1et View Post
I went into the local camera shop and was inquiring about a Canon 6D. The Sony rep quickly snagged me and pitched the A7 very hard. Essentially everything sucked compared to the A7. The boy had blinders on. "But what about my existing investment in Canon lenses"? There is a converter that makes that possible.

My biggest gripe was how uncomfortable it was to hold with any Canon lens attached. The grip is simply too small, and the camera is incredibly top (lens) heavy.
I shoot with several Sony guys, shooting birds and wildlife. They are more common around here than Nikon guys, but not near as thick as Canon shooters. They get great files, but they all moan about the lack of super-telephoto lens selection and the high cost of the ones that are available. Also, several tried the translucent mirror and went back to the floppy mirror models because of AF issues. Still, Sony is making huge strides and the next generation will close much of the gap, but the long lens issue is likely to stay a problem. Only wildlife and sports photographers are likely to have any trouble whatsoever with the translucent mirror.

For a lot of general usage, the Sony's are top drawer, but if you've started with Canon lenses, stick with Canon.

Dave