F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > snowboarding for the day
Studio RSR

02-26-2008, 06:42 PM   #1
Stephii_Rawr
xiao nini
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09' Lancer GTS

snowboarding for the day

hey guys...
im planning on taking my xti up to the mountains for a day when i go snowboarding..

any suggestions on how to take care of it/make sure it doesnt get damaged?
or how to take pictures in the snow?

im kinda nervous and hesitant about taking it anywhere cause i dont want anything to happen to it
please and thank you
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 06:46 PM   #2
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
Don't really have any suggestions, but post the pics when you get back. I know anyone I've shot with always had tons of lenses/filters/etc to keep the lighting from flattening everything out.
Keep the camera inside your jacket when not being used to keep the batteries warm.
      02-26-2008, 06:55 PM   #3
Stephii_Rawr
xiao nini
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmulax View Post
Don't really have any suggestions, but post the pics when you get back. I know anyone I've shot with always had tons of lenses/filters/etc to keep the lighting from flattening everything out.
Keep the camera inside your jacket when not being used to keep the batteries warm.
camera's pretty big.. lol jackets pretty small..
grrrrr... im so lost.. haha
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 07:54 PM   #4
dejav0o
Captain
Rep
Drives: SG 330i

I wouldn't bring it snowboarding.... not really practical, and plus you could easily break it. If you wanted to just go up to the snow to get some shots, then that's different.
      02-26-2008, 09:05 PM   #5
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep
Drives: sideways

I keep mine in 1-gallon plastic bags - lens and body sep - while I ski or ride. I also keep the lens off the body until I'm ready to use it. When you go inside, keep the equipment in the bags while it comes back up to room temp. The cold air is very dry, but when you bring the cold equip inside, condensation will form on the camera if it is exposed to the warm, more moist air. So, let the camera equipment warm up to room temp inside the sealed plastic bags before you take it out. If you get condensation inside the lens or body, it will never quite clear up on its own, and will require expensive service to repair.

1999 e46 328i Ti Silver / Black[retired]
2007 e90 335xi Jet Black / Black[retired]
2011 e70 X5 35d Vermillion Red / Cinnamon
2011 e92 M3 LeMans / Fox Red extended
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:13 PM   #6
Stephii_Rawr
xiao nini
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboFan View Post
I keep mine in 1-gallon plastic bags - lens and body sep - while I ski or ride. I also keep the lens off the body until I'm ready to use it. When you go inside, keep the equipment in the bags while it comes back up to room temp. The cold air is very dry, but when you bring the cold equip inside, condensation will form on the camera if it is exposed to the warm, more moist air. So, let the camera equipment warm up to room temp inside the sealed plastic bags before you take it out. If you get condensation inside the lens or body, it will never quite clear up on its own, and will require expensive service to repair.
ouch....................
okay then ill just tell my friend to bring his point and shoot..
much easier no? lol
thanks so much guys ^_^
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:21 PM   #7
SCTexas
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08' e92 AW 328

Hey I was thinking the same thing! I am about to go on my annual snowboarding trip and I was thinking about bringing my xti but the more I think about it I think I will just bring my p&s on the slopes and use the xti for all my other shots.

Pray for Pow~
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:37 PM   #8
Stephii_Rawr
xiao nini
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tightwhite3 View Post
Hey I was thinking the same thing! I am about to go on my annual snowboarding trip and I was thinking about bringing my xti but the more I think about it I think I will just bring my p&s on the slopes and use the xti for all my other shots.

Pray for Pow~
yeah... but then im afraid to leave the xti in the car because its hella cold...
and we're gonna be on the slopes for the whole day...
i guess the p&s will just have to do..
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:51 PM   #9
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephii_Rawr View Post
ouch....................
okay then ill just tell my friend to bring his point and shoot..
much easier no? lol
thanks so much guys ^_^
You have the same problem with a point and shoot. I take my D200 out almost everytime I ride or ski. It's no big deal, just make sure the bag is sealed when you take it inside.

Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 10:59 PM   #10
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
put it in a backpack with lots of padding? fall on your ass and not on ur back?

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2008, 11:03 PM   #11
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

I usually pack a fleece around the camera. Admitedly, I'd prefer to ski over ride when I have my camera gear with me.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 12:29 PM   #12
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep
Drives: '21 m3

On the right of this picture you'll see my friend riding with my camera bag. On the left you'll see me headed towards the superpark.

02-28-2008, 12:34 PM   #13
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

Quote:
Is the XTI not weatherproof? Get some weather proof lenses while you're at it too.
      02-28-2008, 02:58 PM   #14
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
Is the XTI not weatherproof? Get some weather proof lenses while you're at it too.
You usually don't see weather resistant construction until you start spending $1500+ on a DSLR body. My D200 is the cheapest Nikon or Canon I know of with a metal chassis / sealed body. No camera is air tight.

What happens is the camera gets cold while you're outside. No biggie, most work fine down to about -40F or so. The issue is when you go inside. The warmer air inside infiltrates the camera, and this warmer air has moisture in it. This warmer air hits the cold camera, and the moisture condenses inside the camera (or lens - think a cold bottle of beer on a hot humid summer day). Big problem. BIG. Sometimes they dry out OK, sometimes they don't. I've had a P&S be completely ruined, and an older lens haze up for a few days. I keep them in plastic bags when I'm riding just in case I get a little snow in the backpack during load/unload, or something else. By keeping them in the bag when you come inside, that warm, more moist air can't get to the camera, and the camera comes up to room temp in dry air. Then you can open the bag, and nothing will condense in the camera.

I've never seen a weatherproof lens. Some designs are better than others. Fixed focal length is the most resistant, than internal zoom (barrel does not extend, all elements move inside a fixed barrel - more expensive). Zooms where the barrel extends are the least resistant to the elements. The biggest issue in a lens is dust, which can be cleaned. Usually only required after a hell of a lot of use, or just a little abuse. Dust and dirt in the body can be a whole different issue, and they don't handle it as well.

Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 08:37 PM   #15
Stephii_Rawr
xiao nini
United_States
Rep

hm... so if i bring a backpack.. what happens if i fall?

i think ill be safer with the p&s =]
thanks guys!
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2008, 09:15 PM   #16
MpoweredM
MafiaImaging
Rep

Quote:
You usually don't see weather resistant construction until you start spending $1500+ on a DSLR body. My D200 is the cheapest Nikon or Canon I know of with a metal chassis / sealed body. No camera is air tight.

What happens is the camera gets cold while you're outside. No biggie, most work fine down to about -40F or so. The issue is when you go inside. The warmer air inside infiltrates the camera, and this warmer air has moisture in it. This warmer air hits the cold camera, and the moisture condenses inside the camera (or lens - think a cold bottle of beer on a hot humid summer day). Big problem. BIG. Sometimes they dry out OK, sometimes they don't. I've had a P&S be completely ruined, and an older lens haze up for a few days. I keep them in plastic bags when I'm riding just in case I get a little snow in the backpack during load/unload, or something else. By keeping them in the bag when you come inside, that warm, more moist air can't get to the camera, and the camera comes up to room temp in dry air. Then you can open the bag, and nothing will condense in the camera.

I've never seen a weatherproof lens. Some designs are better than others. Fixed focal length is the most resistant, than internal zoom (barrel does not extend, all elements move inside a fixed barrel - more expensive). Zooms where the barrel extends are the least resistant to the elements. The biggest issue in a lens is dust, which can be cleaned. Usually only required after a hell of a lot of use, or just a little abuse. Dust and dirt in the body can be a whole different issue, and they don't handle it as well.
Interesting. I use a 1dmarkII and a few different L lenses. I shoot in the cold all the time to later go indoors and start loading up the pictures right away. I guess I've been lucky...? I don't know, but I've never had a problem.
      02-28-2008, 10:02 PM   #17
TurboFan
Ski bum
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MpoweredM View Post
Interesting. I use a 1dmarkII and a few different L lenses. I shoot in the cold all the time to later go indoors and start loading up the pictures right away. I guess I've been lucky...? I don't know, but I've never had a problem.
I've done the same, and "been lucky". I've also been unlucky. I don't like to chance it, so I try to use the bags as much as possible. I'd say in a high alpine environment, like the Rockies, it's so dry that it may not even matter indoors. But why take the chance?

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2008, 11:30 AM   #18
Stephii_Rawr
xiao nini
United_States
Rep

i ended up not going snowboarding (today)
because of this stupid RAIN! i hate rain..
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:23 PM   #19
SCTexas
Private First Class
Rep

That blows~

I had a blast in Keystone last week!

I did not get a chance to use my XTI as much as I liked but I did pull the PnS out pretty often.

Pray for Pow!
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-09-2008, 11:56 PM   #20
BMWE90
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 335

^ holy crap dude!! Talk about white out conditions...must have been fun!!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 12:00 AM   #21
Stephii_Rawr
xiao nini
United_States
Rep

too late for snowboarding now
unless i go up to canada =_=
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2008, 01:24 PM   #22
SCTexas
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWE90 View Post
^ holy crap dude!! Talk about white out conditions...must have been fun!!
It was a blast! About 3 inches of POW so the perfect amount, not too much and not too little. It was like riding on butter!

Lucky for me since I live in Texas and only get to make it out about once or twice a year.
Appreciate 0