E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Misfire Issue No one can figure out

12-10-2013, 10:12 PM   #1
derekg2286
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi e90 6 spd

Misfire Issue No one can figure out

Hi every one this is my car i just bought it figuring the misfire i had was just a coil or something the old man that owned it before me drove the car like a little bitch so the valves were caked with carbon. soo here is every detail i have

2007 335xi e90 6 speed manual trans
80k miles
no waste gate rattle
car misfires under accell randomly and sometimes a lot depending on gear. first gear if i stomp it i get no misfire. sometimes second gear no misfire but its random. almost all the time in 3rd gear and up
I have ZERO misfire codes.
BMW of nashua said its carbon and coil packs. (HM motor-works confirmed that as well)
So i replaced them
then BMW said spark plugs
so I replaced them. i saw the valve cover gasket was leaking and cracked and it will willing up a few sparkplug cylinders with oil.
so I replaced it no leaks now. I also but in a jb4 tune and after i started the car i had a service engine soon light come on. I took it to a different BMW dealer ship today and they said they had no idea what was going on and they would need several hours of labor to figure it out

the car i should say has had a few injectors replaced under recall and fuel pump.
3 shops now can not figure out what is wrong with my car but when i got home i read the codes via jb4 tune on the dash and these are the codes I have now. keep in mind I never had a code before at all. 2c3f , 2c9c both which BMW said I shouldn't be concerned about. also before they will do the work they want my vehicle returned to stock. . I know this may sound desperate but I really could use some help I have dropped so much money in this car. Oh and It gets worse as the car gets warmer and misfires at idle now. Keep in mind this is a random misfire. not constant. . but it does happen a lot during a drive. If i forgot anything please feel free to ask questions and I will fill you in. FYI the car had all these problems before the JB4 tune. I literally just installed that and the valve cover last night and thats when the service engine soon light came on. maybe it was just stored for awhile and finally this through it over the edge. sorry if my grammar is bad
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:30 AM   #2
matthatchett
Private
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

I had somewhat the same issue last year. Rpms would jump around randomly and then it would throw a service engine soon light. I kept getting a cylinder 4 misfire and an O2 sensor code. I replaced the coil and O2 sensor. No issues since.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:11 AM   #3
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekg2286 View Post
Hi every one this is my car i just bought it figuring the misfire i had was just a coil or something the old man that owned it before me drove the car like a little bitch so the valves were caked with carbon. soo here is every detail i have

2007 335xi e90 6 speed manual trans
80k miles
no waste gate rattle
car misfires under accell randomly and sometimes a lot depending on gear. first gear if i stomp it i get no misfire. sometimes second gear no misfire but its random. almost all the time in 3rd gear and up
I have ZERO misfire codes.
BMW of nashua said its carbon and coil packs. (HM motor-works confirmed that as well)
So i replaced them
then BMW said spark plugs
so I replaced them. i saw the valve cover gasket was leaking and cracked and it will willing up a few sparkplug cylinders with oil.
so I replaced it no leaks now. I also but in a jb4 tune and after i started the car i had a service engine soon light come on. I took it to a different BMW dealer ship today and they said they had no idea what was going on and they would need several hours of labor to figure it out

the car i should say has had a few injectors replaced under recall and fuel pump.
3 shops now can not figure out what is wrong with my car but when i got home i read the codes via jb4 tune on the dash and these are the codes I have now. keep in mind I never had a code before at all. 2c3f , 2c9c both which BMW said I shouldn't be concerned about. also before they will do the work they want my vehicle returned to stock. . I know this may sound desperate but I really could use some help I have dropped so much money in this car. Oh and It gets worse as the car gets warmer and misfires at idle now. Keep in mind this is a random misfire. not constant. . but it does happen a lot during a drive. If i forgot anything please feel free to ask questions and I will fill you in. FYI the car had all these problems before the JB4 tune. I literally just installed that and the valve cover last night and thats when the service engine soon light came on. maybe it was just stored for awhile and finally this through it over the edge. sorry if my grammar is bad
Cleaning and swapping the Vanos solinoods would be the first thing to try before the plugs/coils. While you had the valve cover off, did u check your Cam ledges and the eccentric sensor for oil?

Unrelated, have u looked at your oil filter housing gasket seal for leaks?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:15 AM   #4
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

I know the problem existed before the jb4, but I'd probably still pull it off for now. It's generally not a good idea to install performance parts when the car is already not running correctly. It's also something for the dealership to blame.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 07:03 AM   #5
Gizm0
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt

My guess is your injectors are going bad
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #6
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
My guess is your injectors are going bad
Good call on the injectors, u can usually tell by sniffing the old plugs and coils to see if they have a fuel like smell to them. Also checking to see which generation of injectors u have could be a clue if u have never had the injector recall done.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:49 AM   #7
miringrains
Banned
Rep
Drives: '11.5 M3 E93

Problem with misfires is its really a case of guess and check. I would have replaced the coil pack with a non misfiring cylinder first to check if that was the problem. If you smell raw fuel on startup, its likely the injector.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

So like my post said all coilpack have been replaced and plugs. No smell of gas on the splugs at all. No I didnt check the ledges at all and I didnt do the vanos cleaning. Im not to familiar with the cars just very mechanically inclined so I do most work myself. If I would have known to do those things while the cover was off I would have ... smh sometimes I can be a dope. Also I am getting no misfire codes just to be clear and I put the jb4 tune on thinking maybe it was lack of fuel and thought hey maybe it would fix things but it didnt. I know kind of stupid but I was just guessing. I have had the car at the shop all day they are trying to figure it out. I havent even recieved a phone call from them yet to tell me what it could be which sucks. I am hoping its not a burnt valve or something big like that. I probabaly would kick a puppy or something of that nature haha any other suggestions besides those common things? Fazman I will have to do a search for those things to try them out
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 02:45 PM   #9
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Cleaning and swapping the Vanos solinoods would be the first thing to try before the plugs/coils. While you had the valve cover off, did u check your Cam ledges and the eccentric sensor for oil?

Unrelated, have u looked at your oil filter housing gasket seal for leaks?
It didnt seem like it was leaking anywhere from what I could see.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:00 PM   #10
GreaseMonkey
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '09 335i xDrive

As other said, check your plugs for fuel indicating leaking injectors. I assume they replaced your plugs after fixing the valve cover (when mine cracked I had oil saturating the spark plugs and had to replace them).

Definitely run stock mapping on the JB4 for now, just to help take it easy until the car is running as it should. The code reading, and in dash gauges will be useful in detecting the source of your problem and monitoring while the car is running. I would recommend setting one gauge to read ignition timing, as mine was all out of whack until my leaking injectors were replaced (lots of timing drops and generally low advance).
Formerly His:'09 335 xdrive
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 03:26 PM   #11
DJtoad
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 535i M Sport

Wasn't clear from your post -- did you get the valves walnut blasted?
      12-11-2013, 06:01 PM   #12
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Walnut blasting has been done so here is what they said today. Injectors have been tested and fine the once again replaced all coil packs on plugs still no chNge. Thwy think its cylinder 3 and 5 misfiring from the tezt they did. I running now map 0 on jb4 I git it home amd pulled all plugs and smelled them just in case and no fuel smell still. I am dropping it off agai. To them tomorrow to do the 0o2sensor and run mlre tests they didnt charge me for anything today I still dont knkw what to do im very disappointed. Tho he did confirm that the mechanical aspect of my engine was fine no valve issues or piston issues which I am grateful for but im not sure what to do now this is crazy
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:23 PM   #13
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Just got a 2aaf code right now
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:25 PM   #14
NormE91
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 328xi Touring

That's a fuel pump code I believe...
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 06:44 PM   #15
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Thats what I was reading but I guess it says its a common code
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:23 PM   #16
mhenry7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 528xi

Quote:
Thats what I was reading but I guess it says its a common code
What you describe I recently had mine in the shop for and it was Vanos Selenoid like a previous poster suggested. Different engine, but I didn't see you say that was checked.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:29 PM   #17
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry7 View Post
What you describe I recently had mine in the shop for and it was Vanos Selenoid like a previous poster suggested. Different engine, but I didn't see you say that was checked.
Right I didnt even think about mbut no codes for it. Hmmm what were your symptoms
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 08:41 PM   #18
mhenry7
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 528xi

Quote:
Right I didnt even think about mbut no codes for it. Hmmm what were your symptoms
When I accelerated it would hesitate and run real rough. Sometimes at idle it would run rough and feel like a misfire. I went in telling the guy I was sure it was just a bad coil because that is what it felt like, but they ended up replacing both solenoids. Engine light did come on after a while, but not initially. Car has been fine since.

Not sure if it's related, probably not, but 2 weeks earlier I had it in for oil leaks. The usual one, oil filter housing but they also found a cracked valve cover, so replaced that. I mentioned a tick, so they replaced lifters. Thank goodness for CPO!
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2013, 09:48 PM   #19
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Do this:
https://www.google.com/search?q=e90+vanos+cleaning

30 mins of time to clean and swap them. If that doesn't work... You can buy new ones from tischer bmw for about $100 each x2. They are the same part so interchangeable.

I think that will fix ur issue (i hope), because u litterally have done everything else short of calling an exorcist! "Demons be gone!!!!"

If this fixes your issue, i demand an ice coffee gift card... Or a thank you
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:53 AM   #20
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhenry7 View Post
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:55 AM   #21
derekg2286
United_States
Rep

Lmafo I ok bro once we do the o2 sensor today I think this is my last hope
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2013, 06:58 AM   #22
derekg2286
United_States
Rep