E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > ECS Street-line coilover system

12-19-2014, 11:51 AM   #1
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2009 Crimson 328i

ECS Street-line coilover system

This seems cheaper than I'd have expected for a full coilover system. What am I missing?

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E9...tlineCoilovers

Background, I've got stock non-sport suspension and its noticeably lacking on the track. I'm not so into it that I realllly want to spend a ton of money on it (and I'd rather trade up to a 3/435 in the next couple years anyway), but for $400 I could probably be persuaded.
      12-19-2014, 12:47 PM   #2
Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
There are cheap coilover kits available for our cars and technically you don't need anything with that kit but you can supplement it with supporting mods (ie good tires, control arms, sway bars, LSD, bushings)

I, myself, would rather get a more reputable set of coilovers. IMO

I cannot say anything good or bad about those FK coilovers. BUT, I am a firm believer in "ya get what ya pay for". ECS is top notch in service though.

Exactly what kind of tracking do you do and what are you expecting from the suspension?

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Some friends do Speed Ventures events a lot and I had an absolute blast the last one I went to, so basically leisurely driving my DD fast. Open track hot laps.

That's the thing, in general I'd have expected a cheap kit would be cheap, but if ECS is selling it, I've got a bit of extra confidence. I'm just wondering if it's misplaced.

What I'm expecting from improved suspension: I notice on the stock suspension that, when I do properly execute a turn, sometimes I'll get much more body roll than I expected or the car seems squirrelly where I'm giving otherwise smooth input. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with stock tires, but there's a long way to go, I think, in terms of having a more planted feeling. Even my friend's GTI seems to have much more planted, confident suspension, but maybe that's just because I'm not as used to his car as my own.
      12-19-2014, 06:18 PM   #4
vasillalov
Mad Linux Guru On The Loose
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i Sedan, 2023 M3

Garage List
2023 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 335i E90  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexwhittemore View Post
That's the thing, in general I'd have expected a cheap kit would be cheap, but if ECS is selling it, I've got a bit of extra confidence. I'm just wondering if it's misplaced.
You are joking right?

RUN! RUN like your life depends on it.
      12-19-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: around the potholes

Quote:
Some friends do Speed Ventures events a lot and I had an absolute blast the last one I went to, so basically leisurely driving my DD fast. Open track hot laps.

What I'm expecting from improved suspension: I notice on the stock suspension that, when I do properly execute a turn, sometimes I'll get much more body roll than I expected or the car seems squirrelly where I'm giving otherwise smooth input. I'm sure a lot of that has to do with stock tires, but there's a long way to go, I think, in terms of having a more planted feeling. Even my friend's GTI seems to have much more planted, confident suspension, but maybe that's just because I'm not as used to his car as my own.
lol despite what BMW wants you to believe, a base model 3er really doesn't handle that well... I can't even imagine what a non-sport suspension must be like on the track...

if you actually want some proven and cost effective shocks, look into Koni yellow and Blisten B8. Pair them up with BMW performance or Eibach springs, it should be pretty drastic improvement, and all of parts cost less than $1000. $300 coilover just screams sketch balls to me, doesn't matter who is selling it. Changing the struts and shocks is not a trivial undertaking and then you have to consider alignment cost, so why try to save a few hundreds while you can get it right the first time.

FYI, a stock F30 really doesn't handle noticeably better than E90...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:29 PM   #6
Spectre
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2009 BMW M3  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cloud9blue View Post
if you actually want some proven and cost effective shocks, look into Koni yellow and Blisten B8. Pair them up with BMW performance or Eibach springs, it should be pretty drastic improvement, and all of parts cost less than $1000.
There is much truth here. I suppose I also should've asked what your total budget is. Anything you do to the suspension will have to be aligned professionally. That usually costs around $60-90. Since you're tracking the car on road courses and it is also a DD, I would recommend the koni sport adjustable shocks that way you can set them to your liking. (thats something most coilovers dont offer, unless you spend $1k+) With the Koni's, match them with a set of springs as mentioned or pick a set that lowers the car to your liking. I had Koni yellows and eibach pro kit before my coilovers and it was a very nice ride.

As for the planted end feeling, rear subframe bushings and LSD are going to be the two main things that help with that.

Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:31 PM   #7
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

I might actually buy these tonight, thanks for sharing!! If the shocks are decent, and won't blow due to being lowered its better than my oem shocks with lowering springs.

Just cuz its cheap doesn't always mean its a crappy product..
      12-19-2014, 09:44 PM   #8
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eat.Sleep.Race View Post
I might actually buy these tonight, thanks for sharing!! If the shocks are decent, and won't blow due to being lowered its better than my oem shocks with lowering springs.

Just cuz its cheap doesn't always mean its a crappy product..
I said this many times... Not everyone needs $5000 worth of JRZ or race spec Ohlins shocks, but you get what you paid for with shocks especially at $1000-2000 price range. With these super cheap non adjustable shocks, I wouldn't be surprised if the damping rate varies a lot from one shock to another. And who knows how will they perform after some miles. And let's not get into with all the corrosion issues I have seen in those cheap steel body coilovers.

Why not spend a few hundreds more with something of known quality.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:49 PM   #9
Eat.Sleep.Race
Out Boosting...
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport

Just bought them, i only drive my car on nice days and its garaged, so it'll be worth a shot!!
      12-19-2014, 09:56 PM   #10
Cloud9blue
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Just bought them, i only drive my car on nice days and its garaged, so it'll be worth a shot!!

If this is the "special" car for you, more of a reason to get some real performance shocks.

But anyway, it's your car, not mine... Don't get me wrong, I am all about saving money. I just don't get why people spend 20-30k on a used BMW and then treat it like $6k Civic...
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 10:44 PM   #11
Tom Droze
Major
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i (e92)

Quote:
This seems cheaper than I'd have expected for a full coilover system. What am I missing?

http://www.ecstuning.com/News/BMW_E9...tlineCoilovers

Background, I've got stock non-sport suspension and its noticeably lacking on the track. I'm not so into it that I realllly want to spend a ton of money on it (and I'd rather trade up to a 3/435 in the next couple years anyway), but for $400 I could probably be persuaded.
I think the best attribute of this suspension setup is that it will lower your car. While I have no direct experience with Streetline Coilovers I do know this; over several years and through many different forums, I have never known anyone who was pleased with a low end coilover set. In my opinion you would be much better served with just a good set of shocks (Koni or Bilstein) and stock springs as compared to the Streetline low end setup.
2012 Jet Black 328i Coupe / ESS Tuning Gen. 2 Supercharger / Evolution Racewerks Oil Cooler / BMS Oil Catch Can / BMW Performance Exhaust with Dinan Y Pipe / Eibach Pro Kit Springs / Koni FSD Shocks / MFactory LSD & Differential Bushings / Performance Rear Trailing Arms / BMW Performance Strut Brace / Stop Tech Slotted Rotors / Hawk HPS 5.0 / SS Brake Lines / Brass Guide Pins / M3 Front Control Arms, 28 MM FSB, Engine Cowl, and DCT Paddle Shifters / Michelin PSS / APEX ARC-8
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 01:19 AM   #12
Drftfan
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw 335i

I have yet to lower my e90, I just got it a month ago. But to chime in on this...
I have had two cars with Megan Racing, one car with K-Sport,another with Stance and one car with V-Max. The car I just traded in I had the Megan's on within the first 1,000 miles and traded it in at 16,000. Other than a rear bolt coming loose and making some noise the coilovers performed great. Same with my other cars. I find it hard to justify dropping a ton of money on suspensions when I have been very content with "cheap" coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 08:56 AM   #13
sirdaft1
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 & E90 WTCC Widebody Racecar

Garage List
Quote:
Looks like we have a volunteer... Report back after you've installed them. We're all obviously quite skeptical since $300 coils sound way sketchy. Curious to hear a first hand review.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 08:59 AM   #14
alexwhittemore
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirdaft1 View Post
Looks like we have a volunteer... Report back after you've installed them. We're all obviously quite skeptical since $300 coils sound way sketchy. Curious to hear a first hand review.
+1
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2014, 09:19 AM   #15
mojobmw_e90
Major
Rep
Drives: 2014 E63S

I owned a 300c srt8.bought it with 32k and sold it with 77k. Installed Megan coilovers at 38k and car was very quiet.surprised me that a car that's about 5000lbs on coilovers rides so smooth and quiet that I was tempted to buy a set for the 335i,but since seeing these and not looking to drop it more than 1" I might try them
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 01:00 PM   #16
Rival
Captain
Rep
Drives: 95 z28

dont mean to step on toes, but has anyone tried the adj. ones...???

http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-325...vers/ES248292/
1995 Z28 6spd - 377rwhp rip
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2014, 01:55 PM   #17
bmw325i
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 325i

For those on budget I recommend these. Get the extreme drop they can still be adjusted to stock height or as low as you want to go.
http://www.flushstance.com/bcracing-coilovers/bmw/
Appreciate 0