E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Tracking, Autocrossing, Dragstrip, Driving Techniques > 1st Track Day = N54 Engine Failure :(

03-06-2013, 07:28 PM   #45
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep
Drives: with both feet

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autobahn335i View Post
Good move to ditch that meth crap! For the track I would keep things as simple as possible. No stacking tunes, overcomplex fueling etc etc. More variables=more failures at the track...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smooth 330i View Post
... OP, GL and keep the car as simple as possible while using quality parts.
That's my plan going forward - no meth, no E85, switch to Cobb tune, and for the track run Stage 2+ Sport or Aggressive maps with ACN 91 fuel blended with 100 octane pump gas to raise overall octane to 93+ or more. Maybe for the street I'll play with the 100 octane race gas map, but it'll be a while (I just know myself).

Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Don't know why you quoted me on this, I'm not sure it's possible to hydrolock the motor on a CM10 nozzle unless the nozzle broke. There's some discussion of this on the engine perf. forum also but they seem to think the meth kit just doesn't flow enough meth to hydrolock it that way?

If we're saying it's from detonation, okay maybe, although at 14psi thats unlikely.

OP I'd inspect your meth hardware and see where the failure might have occurred.
Nah, you're right as I find it hard to believe too, but I trust my mechanic and can only believe what he saw when he removed the intake manifold.

I plan on inspecting the ECU, JB4, FSB, solenoid, and pump once it's all removed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DallasBoosted View Post
Feel better about yourself now?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Killerfish2012 View Post
YEP!
You two sound like my two younger brothers.
We all love tracking, Bimmers, and especially the N54 platform, now punch each other in the arm, hug, and make-up (that's what we'd do in my house growing up).
      03-07-2013, 11:28 PM   #46
M3E46M
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i E92 6 MT

Sorry to hear about your Meth mailfunction, man that sucks, I see you bidding for the cobb now, ....me 2. good choice Did you have any logs saved from JB4 when this happened ? I wonder if the Knock sensor malfunctioned causing meth to malfunction in any way....and then BOOM!

.../// TURBO! Why in the world would you choose anything else?... ///
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2013, 11:47 PM   #47
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Yeah, Cobb here I come. No logs with the JB4, though, as that would have been a little crazy trying to log while out on the track.
      03-08-2013, 08:05 AM   #48
DallasBoosted
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 E92 335i

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDeeky View Post
Yeah, Cobb here I come. No logs with the JB4, though, as that would have been a little crazy trying to log while out on the track.
I'm going to try to log a lap with the Cobb next event, by pulling into the hot pits, starting the logger, and then putting the Cobb back in the door pocket and going back out. Will be interesting.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:33 PM   #49
Hybrid For Life
Banned
Germany
Rep
Drives: Out of Spec

Any updates?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2013, 03:42 PM   #50
Lifted07Duramax
Major
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW red 335i coupe

sub'd
      04-06-2013, 08:02 PM   #51
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
-------------------------------------------------------
FINAL UPDATE: 4/6 - Just got home from taking my car the LTMW meet and the engine's running better than ever

New engine was installed on 3/12 and car returned to me on 3/14. I've put almost 700 miles on the new engine. Let me start by saying that SouthBay Autohaus knows their stuff and has been great to work with through all of this. Their expertise is top notch and I really appreciate how they've kept me informed along the way. The car is running better now than it ever has, but it's taken some serious work to get to this point.

Last time I posted, I knew my original clutch was toast but I didn't know that I'd have to purchase a new DMFW (Dual Mass Fly Wheel) too. When the engine seized, the torque from the driveshaft caused this to happen... (notice how the holes don't line up?).

Also, here's a few of the other issues we had to work through after the car was originally returned to me:
- squeeling pulley - replaced
- broken nipple off of plastic vacuum canister - replaced
- boost leak - replaced all vacuum lines
- vanos codes - replaced both intake and exhaust vanos solenoids
- low pressure fuel pump codes - resolved issue with ECU
- high pressure fuel pump codes - resolved issue with ECU
- clunking noise when turning left or right - issue caused by a worn bushing (see upgrades below for fix as I decided to use this as an excuse to upgrade to front and rear M3 control arms)

Here's what remains of piston #6 (left and middle) which exploded like a grenade. Far right is the piece of the block that was blown off.

Below is a better shot of the hole that was blown through the block

The head of piston #6 sheared off the top of the spark plug

Good shot of what 67k miles worth of carbon build-up looks like

Pic of the new engine below that was taken the day before it was installed

Upgrades / Future Plans:
- I now have a 2010 engine with 27k miles
- Carbon build-up was cleaned out completely (you can get to way more with the engine removed than you can otherwise)
- new water pump and thermostat installed
- new Vanos solenoids
- new spark plugs
- and a bunch of other new stuff (i.e. - crankshaft seal, oil pan gasket, exhaust gaskets, valve cover gaskets, etc...)
- The new Spec Stage 2+ clutch is great and has a very OEM feel with a very subtle, slightly stiffer engagement.
- Front and rear M3 control arms (link). Still waiting for these to arrive.
- Still waiting for my Qauife LSD to arrive. Plan on having LTMW install next weekend.
- Purchased PowerFlex Urethane Diff Bushings to go on the same time as the LSD:
Rear Diff Front Mounting Bushing PFR5-425 (qty 2)
Rear Diff Rear Mounting Bushing PFR5-426 (qty 1)
- Planning on having LTMW install some side splitters and maybe a custom front splitter for a little more downforce
- swapped out the JB4 for Cobb St2+ FMIC tune (really like it so far)
- installed BMS DP Fix

Oh, I have a BMS WW Meth Kit w/ FSB if anybody wants it for free.
I wouldn't feel right selling it since it's what caused all of this.

Summary:
I'm not bitter as I understood this was a possibility when I started modifying my car years ago and I plan to continue modifying my cars in the future. That said, I'll certainly be far more wary of engine mods. Thankfully, I really love this car and plan to continue enjoying it for at least a few more years now that I've made such a big investment in it; that was one expensive track day.
      04-07-2013, 04:46 AM   #52
TurboBimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
Luxembourg
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Good to see your car is running again

With the new chassis and drivetrain upgrades you'll enjoy tracking the car even more!
Performance Seats, Exhaust, Splitters, Pedals, Steering Wheel / RB Turbos / M3 CF Roof / Brembo GT BBK 355/345 / Rollcage / Forge FMIC / Quaife LSD / Öhlins Road & Track / M3 Suspension Parts / Solid Subframe Bushings / Vorshlag Camberplates / Megan Racing Toe Links / LeatherZ Gauges / Extended M3 DCT Paddles / ER Sports OC / AR OC / Aux Radiator / AR DPs / Alpina TCU / COBB Pro-Tune
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 08:53 AM   #53
CJ421
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW M3

Garage List
I'm very happy your car is back together again ... and kudos for remaining positive about the whole ordeal. Thanks for posting the pics too.
      12-16-2014, 08:52 PM   #54
Alex09_335
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i

I know this is an old thread but I was wondering about the 2007-2010 engine swap. There were no issues with the cars computers and the newer engine onboard?

Also you mechanic seems awesome.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 03:25 PM   #55
SneakyDeeky
driver mod in progress
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 VW Golf R  [5.50]
2014 Audi SQ5  [10.00]
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex09_335 View Post
I know this is an old thread but I was wondering about the 2007-2010 engine swap. There were no issues with the cars computers and the newer engine onboard?

Also you mechanic seems awesome.
Only issues I remember were with the coding I'd previously had down (i.e. - angel eyes always on as daytime running lights, adaptive headlight error coded out, and something stupid with the bluetooth, but we got it all squared away within 2 weeks after it was running. Yeah, Qais is pretty top-notch. SouthBay Autohaus knows their stuff.

Car has been great ever since with zero issues. No more meth, though, I am a bit of an E85 addict.
Daily Driving:
- BMS E85 flash (loaded via Cobb AP)
- 11 gallons of E85 mixed with 5 gallons of California premium, 91 octane = E61 with 100.6 octane
- JB4 Map 5 (autotuning, 17 psi max)

For track and autocross days:
- BMS Pump flash (much less aggressive than E85 flash, less timing, etc. Also, loaded via Cobb AP)
- 5 gallons of 100 octane race gas ($10/gal) mixed with 11 gallons of California premium, 91 octane = 94 octane
- JB4 Map 2 (12.5 psi max)

Like all tuned N54's, I occasionally (1-2x month) get a limp mode due to the sensitivity of the fuel blends and/or if was slightly off on the ratio when blending fuels. It's hard to be precise when there's always some fuel left in your tank when you fill up and not every station has E85. I make a monthly trip to fill up my (qty 5) 5-gallon fuel containers of E85 so I can daily drive on E60 and not always have to go to the same fuel station. Hope this helps.

Last edited by SneakyDeeky; 12-19-2014 at 03:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2015, 02:05 PM   #56
Davyhay
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

I'll take the Meth kit!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2015, 05:27 PM   #57
beetle6986
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335xi, E70 X5 50, 04 Cobra

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakyDeeky View Post
Only issues I remember were with the coding I'd previously had down (i.e. - angel eyes always on as daytime running lights, adaptive headlight error coded out, and something stupid with the bluetooth, but we got it all squared away within 2 weeks after it was running. Yeah, Qais is pretty top-notch. SouthBay Autohaus knows their stuff.

Car has been great ever since with zero issues. No more meth, though, I am a bit of an E85 addict.
Daily Driving:
- BMS E85 flash (loaded via Cobb AP)
- 11 gallons of E85 mixed with 5 gallons of California premium, 91 octane = E61 with 100.6 octane
- JB4 Map 5 (autotuning, 17 psi max)

For track and autocross days:
- BMS Pump flash (much less aggressive than E85 flash, less timing, etc. Also, loaded via Cobb AP)
- 5 gallons of 100 octane race gas ($10/gal) mixed with 11 gallons of California premium, 91 octane = 94 octane
- JB4 Map 2 (12.5 psi max)

Like all tuned N54's, I occasionally (1-2x month) get a limp mode due to the sensitivity of the fuel blends and/or if was slightly off on the ratio when blending fuels. It's hard to be precise when there's always some fuel left in your tank when you fill up and not every station has E85. I make a monthly trip to fill up my (qty 5) 5-gallon fuel containers of E85 so I can daily drive on E60 and not always have to go to the same fuel station. Hope this helps.
I don't see why people are against JB4 for tracking? However, the reliability of meth kits scares me. I think map 2 hits 14.5 PSI not 12.5.
2016 Mustang GT Roush Phase 2 with VMP 767 HP kit.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2015, 04:56 PM   #58
ferocity02
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 135is

Did you ever figure out what the failure was on the meth injection? Seems like the pump might have been running for awhile on its own before it hydrolocked in order to put that much water/meth into the intake and cylinders.

2013 135is DCT Carbon Black Metallic

Appreciate 0