F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW M Gets New CEO - Ex-Audi Quattro Head Franciscus van Meel
GetBMWParts

09-24-2014, 10:14 PM   #89
SouthernBoy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
Audi's have issues. It's just one f**king thing after another. We've had them in our family for over 30 years. They really haven't improved. I doubt this new guy will radically change BMW M cars for the worst. No need to freak out. BMW has standards.

Appreciate 0
      09-24-2014, 10:48 PM   #90
onatuesday
Captain
Rep
Drives: Hyundai

Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthernBoy View Post
Audi's have issues. It's just one f**king thing after another. We've had them in our family for over 30 years. They really haven't improved. I doubt this new guy will radically change BMW M cars for the worst. No need to freak out. BMW has standards.
Lol. Is all I gotta say.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:38 AM   #91
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tracus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xDrive35i View Post
That's why I'm moving to Porsche!
This kind of comments make me laugh.

First, everybody starts commenting on what kind of rotten eggs the new chicken will lay without even seeing one.

Second, maybe you are trying to convince yourself that it is a good move and that is a different story but don't try to justify your move based on nothing. I am almost sure that many in here don't care if somebody chooses Porsche instead of BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 04:57 AM   #92
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW X4

Smile About time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///mawana
Here comes AWD Ms!
About time!

This is what I have been waiting for. I want an M4 with Competition Package w/Carbon Fiber Roof with 'functioning' Rooftop Luggage Mounts to mount a Thule Roof Rack, and an X4M!

An AWD M can be sold as an option, I can't see why BMW M Division can not design a fantastic version along with a RWD version as well.

Last edited by DCG; 09-26-2014 at 01:27 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 05:14 AM   #93
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up I concur!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wdeerfield
I'll take awd m cars. Nothing wrong with an m car that I could use year round up here in upstate ny. All you "purists" need to get with the times already.
I concur, with my fellow New Yorker!

BMW xDrive "AWD" M's as an option. If you want only RWD get that version. But for us living in 4-seasons climates, and not just a 2-season one AWD makes sense for safety. I don't know about u guys I want to have as much grip and to stay on our crazy and congested New York roads in all-weather and in all driving conditions. One kick-ass M car that can do it all!

Last edited by DCG; 09-25-2014 at 06:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:30 AM   #94
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11 335is Coupe BSM

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jblack4083
At first i was like "damn here go the AWD boring sounding BMWs" but now that I'm thinking of it, he will probably take advantage of being freed from Audi's AWD / cookie-cutter culture.

It's not like M was going in a great direction anyway lol. Either way you cut it, we're headed toward an all turbo, all wheel drive, M lineup.
Exactly.... Badging the M235i as an M and playing semantics with the brand......M Group needs someone to get them back on track. Maybe he is the guy.
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 10:34 AM   #95
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMITTR View Post
Exactly.... Badging the M235i as an M and playing semantics with the brand......M Group needs someone to get them back on track. Maybe he is the guy.
The M235i had nothing to do with M GmbH, that was a move by BMW to leverage the M brand. M GmbH had nothing to do with the development of the M235i.

I don't really care that they did it, just think it's weird. The last time they had a car like that though was the E12 M535i from decades ago as far as I know.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 11:22 AM   #96
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post
The M235i had nothing to do with M GmbH, that was a move by BMW to leverage the M brand. M GmbH had nothing to do with the development of the M235i.

I don't really care that they did it, just think it's weird. The last time they had a car like that though was the E12 M535i from decades ago as far as I know.
Well that is reassuring that the M Group was not involved in that and it was some non-M marketing exec pencil pusher watering down the brand. It is like anything...you create a brand of excellence, attract those who desire excellence and will remain loyal so long as you are true to the brand, have them get used to the taste, and then get greedy and cheap and start screwing with the ingredients but continue to call it the same thing. This is becoming the norm now and it is disappointing.

Obviously the E12 was such as success they decided to do it again? Ugh. Maybe this guy will be a pragmatic purest and put an end to this stuff but I am skeptical. Execs are not in the trenches and don't care about engineers - they are looking at the bottom line and how to make more profits not necessarily a excellent product - rather a mediocre one. Hence the mindset at Audi - AWD - Audi Wheel Drive and they cannot think outside that box. Hopefully he can and bring a MMA attitude to the company (which is what I mean by pragmatic purism). Analogous to MMA - One martial art verses a mixture of martial arts to create a well rounded fighter. Same goes here.

BMW if you are tolling the boards....pay attention to what is being said by your customer-base.
'11 BSM DCT 7 Spd. 335is | RPi | aFe Magnum Flow Direct Fit | Interad DTM 10 Forged | Smoked Reflectors | Huper Optik Tint | Arkym Rear Diffuser | Cyba CF Quad Tips | iND CF CRT Rear Spoiler | COBB Protune | Turbosmart BPV | AutoCarbon CF Grills | Silver CF e-Brake | BMW CF Mirror Shrouds | M Perf. Steering Wheel v2 | KW DDC Coilovers w/WLAN | Interior Xenon LEDs | Custom 335is Accents | F/R Fenders Rolled & Pulled | New Pipes Baffle Delete
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 12:50 PM   #97
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis View Post

Not correct. M division is expressly cited as having tuned the N55 for this model.

The M235i is the first "M Performance" car in North America. Overseas, they also have the M135i, the X5 M50d, X6 M50d and the M550d.

Check out the M Division's website, under "Powered by M".

http://www.m-power.com/_open/b/varli...?lang=en&sNr=1

Last edited by SmallTownBoy; 09-25-2014 at 01:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 01:43 PM   #98
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DCG View Post
I concur! BMW xDrive "AWD" M's as an option. If you want only RWD get that version. But for us living in 4-seasons climates, and not just a 2-season one AWD makes sense for safety. I don't know about u guys I want to have as much grip and to stay on our crazy and congested New York roads in all-weather and driving conditions. One kick-ass M car that can do it all!
Anybody thinking that M division isn't going to be offering AWD options on M cars is kidding themselves. This hire of an Audi guy is exactly what he was brought in to do.

Personally I think Audi has a huge leg up when it comes to AWD expertise compared to BMW but we'll see if BMW can catch-up. Torque vectoring even on RWD cars would be cool
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:32 PM   #99
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Anybody thinking that M division isn't going to be offering AWD options on M cars is kidding themselves. This hire of an Audi guy is exactly what he was brought in to do.

Personally I think Audi has a huge leg up when it comes to AWD expertise compared to BMW but we'll see if BMW can catch-up. Torque vectoring even on RWD cars would be cool
He's a CEO nit engineer. He isn't gonna be able to whip up an AWD recipe himself.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 06:51 PM   #100
onatuesday
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
He's a CEO nit engineer. He isn't gonna be able to whip up an AWD recipe himself.
Still need an exec who understands that value prop and is aligned with that philosophy as well as the connections to expert engineers in the industry
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #101
DCG
REBEL
United_States
Rep

Cool Dont mess with BMW's 'less is more' interiors please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by trinim3 View Post
Exactly. Hopefully we now will get the best of both worlds...mainly the driving dynamics of bmw matched with the interior and controls of an Audi.
I agree a different perspective is needed ever so often so brands do not become complacent. But lets please keep the BMW clean, 'less is more' sleak interior cockpit oriented designs on the same trajectory.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 07:57 PM   #102
Lucky13
Lucky13
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30X

Quote:
Well that is reassuring that the M Group was not involved in that and it was some non-M marketing exec pencil pusher watering down the brand. It is like anything...you create a brand of excellence, attract those who desire excellence and will remain loyal so long as you are true to the brand, have them get used to the taste, and then get greedy and cheap and start screwing with the ingredients but continue to call it the same thing. This is becoming the norm now and it is disappointing.

Obviously the E12 was such as success they decided to do it again? Ugh. Maybe this guy will be a pragmatic purest and put an end to this stuff but I am skeptical. Execs are not in the trenches and don't care about engineers - they are looking at the bottom line and how to make more profits not necessarily a excellent product - rather a mediocre one. Hence the mindset at Audi - AWD - Audi Wheel Drive and they cannot think outside that box. Hopefully he can and bring a MMA attitude to the company (which is what I mean by pragmatic
purism). Analogous to MMA - One martial art verses a mixture of martial arts to create a well rounded fighter. Same goes here.

BMW if you are tolling the boards....pay attention to what is being said by your customer-base.
Like IS really meant something to consumers, now that was dumb marketing. Guess it's OK for Audi to have S series and RS but BMW can't do an M235. I had 3 E46 M3's and my M235 will outperform them. You may know cars but you don't know marketing.
1995 325i, 1996 328ci, 1997 528i, 1997 Z3 2.8, 2000 528i, 2001 X5 3.0, 2001 330i Convertible, 2002 M3 Convertible, 2003 M3 Coupe, 2004 M3 Coupe, 2004 Z4 3.0, 2004 X3 3.0, 2007 X3 3.0, 2007 335i Convertible, 2013 X1 28 sdrive, 2014 M235 manual, 2020 X3 30i Xdrive
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:37 PM   #103
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Obviously the E12 was such as success they decided to do it again? Ugh. Maybe this guy will be a pragmatic purest and put an end to this stuff but I am skeptical. Execs are not in the trenches and don't care about engineers - they are looking at the bottom line and how to make more profits not necessarily a excellent product - rather a mediocre one. Hence the mindset at Audi - AWD - Audi Wheel Drive and they cannot think outside that box. Hopefully he can and bring a MMA attitude to the company (which is what I mean by pragmatic purism). Analogous to MMA - One martial art verses a mixture of martial arts to create a well rounded fighter. Same goes here.

Good executives do not do that. Is the bottom line a large factor? Obviously but it isn't the only one. GM learned that lesson the hard way in the 80's and 90's.

Look, the guy headed Audi's Quattro unit which meant he oversaw Audi's RS line and the R8. When was the last time you heard someone claiming an Audi was cheap? Especially an RS Audi?

Hell when have you heard anyone call an M235i a cheap car? The car has gotten rave reviews.

You people are such a trip.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #104
fecurtis
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post
Not correct. M division is expressly cited as having tuned the N55 for this model.

The M235i is the first "M Performance" car in North America. Overseas, they also have the M135i, the X5 M50d, X6 M50d and the M550d.

I stand corrected then. Thanks for the correction.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 08:40 PM   #105
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky13
Quote:

Obviously the E12 was such as success they decided to do it again? Ugh. Maybe this guy will be a pragmatic purest and put an end to this stuff but I am skeptical. Execs are not in the trenches and don't care about engineers - they are looking at the bottom line and how to make more profits not necessarily a excellent product - rather a mediocre one. Hence the mindset at Audi - AWD - Audi Wheel Drive and they cannot think outside that box. Hopefully he can and bring a MMA attitude to the company (which is what I mean by pragmatic
purism). Analogous to MMA - One martial art verses a mixture of martial arts to create a well rounded fighter. Same goes here.

Like IS really meant something to consumers, now that was dumb marketing. Guess it's OK for Audi to have S series and RS but BMW can't do an M235. I had 3 E46 M3's and my M235 will outperform them. You may know cars but you don't know marketing.
Oh another IS hater. That is ok though. IS was not branded an M nor did it try to be an M. It is not an M car. It filled a very narrow non-M niche market to attract people who bought the 335i and started "M Sporting" it. Now, trying to compare a much older performance generation with a car of today (new generation) and pass that off as a valid analytical compaison? Your emotional quip has proved my point and so your marketing career is very bright! Oh and M Performance (warm fuzzy) is different than M Power (real thing)...

Last edited by EMITTR; 09-26-2014 at 12:38 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2014, 09:09 PM   #106
EMITTR
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:

Good executives do not do that. Is the bottom line a large factor? Obviously but it isn't the only one. GM learned that lesson the hard way in the 80's and 90's.

Look, the guy headed Audi's Quattro unit which meant he oversaw Audi's RS line and the R8. When was the last time you heard someone claiming an Audi was cheap? Especially an RS Audi?

Hell when have you heard anyone call an M235i a cheap car? The car has gotten rave reviews.

You people are such a trip.
You obviously have not read Car & Driver's review. You missed the point.... So let me restate it. I said hopefully he is NOT like that. Hubris kills. However CEOs are hired for their ability to increase shareholder value.... You remain in the dark if you think otherwise. Still the point here is the hope that he embraces BMW and brings the good points of Audi to BMW.

Last edited by EMITTR; 09-26-2014 at 12:25 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 09:11 AM   #107
davis449
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Audi SQ5

Now that I think I understand where BMW is trying to make this go (model line equivalency with Audi "S" cars), I can get with it. At first I had the same outrageous reactions as many in here. "is" cars did fill a niche as EMITTR stated, but Lucky13 is actually the one who's right here. It's not that he (Lucky13) is a hater, he's just pointing that most people don't give a crap about "is" cars. Re-branding them as Mxxx cars will grab more attention. Is this exactly the way I think it should be done? No, but I get what's trying to be accomplished here by leveraging the M brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #108
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by fecurtis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SmallTownBoy View Post

I stand corrected then. Thanks for the correction.
Also says something (although not sure what) that several big magazines have stated the M235i is the best drivers BMW... And it's not an M car, just has an M touched engine and suspension (i think)
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:20 PM   #109
clbmw
Major
Rep
Drives: 320d M135i

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/ne...2016-centenary

Appreciate 0
      09-26-2014, 12:23 PM   #110
SmallTownBoy
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: '14 M235i 6MT PSS BSM

Quote:
Originally Posted by clbmw View Post
Also says something (although not sure what) that several big magazines have stated the M235i is the best drivers BMW... And it's not an M car, just has an M touched engine and suspension (i think)
Usually best to start from the source, M Division.

From Nov. 1, 2013, here's what they say about the M235i:

http://m-power.com/_open/b/varlink1.jsp?lang=en&sNr=1

For the genesis, this article about the M135i illustrates the approach for "M Performance" distinguished from "M Power". The balance is toward the daily driver, which suits my preference. Note the statement, "It [M135i] is positioned between the most powerful BMW series production models and thoroughbred BMW M vehicles." [my emphasis]

http://m-power.com/_open/b/varlink1.jsp?id=2802&lang=en

Finally, here's a bit of video from retiring M Division President Dr. Nitschke (starting around 00:38):

http://m-power.com/_open/b/varlink1.jsp?id=2644&lang=en

Overall, BMW has been very clear about where they see the M Performance class. Whether that merits an M badge or designation is up for debate, but they're not trying to fool anyone, especially not those who could distinguish between a 335is and a 335i in the first place.