F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > What's your weekly split like? Nutrition, Supplements, Etc.
Extreme Powerhouse

04-02-2012, 05:10 PM   #1
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, E93 335i, S50 E30 325i

What's your weekly split like? Nutrition, Supplements, Etc.

First of all, I've been wandering this forum for a while and JUST noticed a health and fitness section. Hahaha simply awesome.

Anyways, I just want to know what is and isn't working for people.

I do something extra known as bboying (breakdancing) as an extracurricular, so that's part of my "workout" I suppose, so it qualifies as high impact cardio with moderate intensity.
__________________________________________________ _________________
I'll start by addressing my routine.

[Monday]

Rest. Reason I rest Monday is so I have full recovered strength for practice.

[Tuesday]

Bboy Practice/Cardio (2 Hours) 4-6pm. All out until I burn myself out.
[Wednesday]

Back and Biceps, around 15 sets total. Seated Rows, Lat Pull downs, Preacher curls, and some incline dumbbell curls.

[Thursday]

Bboy Practice (2 Hours) 4-6pm. More focus on balance and strength. Slow movements with emphasis on controlled movements.

[Friday]

Legs/Cardio. 10-15 sets of 4 key exercises. Lunges, Squats, Hamstring Curls, Calf Raises. Jump Rope for 15 minute cardio.

[Saturday]

Abs, 18-24 sets, 6 sets of 3-4 exercises for 10 reps each. Yes, it's a lot of sets, but I love abs. Lol.

[Sunday]Chest, Shoulders, and Triceps.

Compound movements (Bench Press, Shoulder Press, Incline, etc), Tricep Isolation exercises (kick backs, pulling movements with weight). Dumbell Flies.
__________________________________________________ _________________

The reason why I don't rest between each workout day is because I'm fairly new to lifting. I started only 3 months ago. However, I've learned quite a bit about my own body and how to pace myself by making several mistakes.

My routine is not perfect yet, but I will learn soon enough.

The supplements I'm taking are
-Creatine Monohydrate (Will cycle off after 8 weeks)
-Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60 (Whey Isolate)
-GNC Ripped Vitapak (Includes CLA, Multi-vitamin, Waterex, and Thermo-igniter)
-Fish Oil (600mg, 2 pills, every day)

I spend only 45 minutes-1 Hour max in the gym.

Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 05:58 PM   #2
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

There is nothing wrong with your workout. Don't get caught up in the 5x5 routines that everyone is trying. Everyone's body responds differently to routines. What you are doing is a good beginner work out. After a while you may plateau on it and need to switch it up.

I guarantee no one likes my lifting routines, but they are what works for me.
Monday - Arms (bi's and tri's)
Tuesday - Chest and back
Wednesday - legs and shoulders
Thursday- Arms (bi's and tri's) again
Friday - chest and back again

Also I have been lifting for over a decade and carry some decent size.

Fyi- stop throwing your money away buying crap from GNC..
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #3
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RambleJ View Post
Fyi- stop throwing your money away buying crap from GNC..
Thanks for the input. I read up on the StrongLifts 5x5 a few months ago, but it didn't appeal to me.

Could you elaborate on what supplements are most beneficial?

I know that I don't need the vitapak and fish oil. Lol, but like I said, still learning because I'm a beginner.

I realized that I wasted a ton of money on mass gainers when I was trying to bulk for the first 3 months, and I basically gained 10 pounds and cut it back down to my original weight that I started at, but mostly in muscle.

I maintain a moderately well balanced diet. Get my body weight's worth of lean proteins, keep carbs at about 40-50% of my daily consumption, and eat mostly healthy fats.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 09:20 AM   #4
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesiRoc View Post
Thanks for the input. I read up on the StrongLifts 5x5 a few months ago, but it didn't appeal to me.

Could you elaborate on what supplements are most beneficial?

I know that I don't need the vitapak and fish oil. Lol, but like I said, still learning because I'm a beginner.

I realized that I wasted a ton of money on mass gainers when I was trying to bulk for the first 3 months, and I basically gained 10 pounds and cut it back down to my original weight that I started at, but mostly in muscle.

I maintain a moderately well balanced diet. Get my body weight's worth of lean proteins, keep carbs at about 40-50% of my daily consumption, and eat mostly healthy fats.

Thanks!
Before you can get a legit answer, you have to first explain what your goal is. Are you trying to look like a tiny A&F model or are you trying to gain some size. Different workouts and different meal planning for both.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Before you can get a legit answer, you have to first explain what your goal is. Are you trying to look like a tiny A&F model or are you trying to gain some size. Different workouts and different meal planning for both.
I understand that it may take longer, but I'm trying to stay lean and put on some size at the same time. My ultimate goal is to be ripped without looking bulky. Would you say that higher reps and moderately heavy weight is sufficient to achieve this? Or perhaps I can lift heavy one week with less reps, and then lighter the next week with higher reps, and repeat?

However, I do plan on starting a bulking routine in the fall and then cutting towards the end of next winter when spring starts so that I can tone the muscle by next summer. Repeat.

I track my diet and nutrition. I haven't started recording my workouts yet, but I'm considering it so I can track gains.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 01:29 PM   #6
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I understand that it may take longer, but I'm trying to stay lean and put on some size at the same time. My ultimate goal is to be ripped without looking bulky. Would you say that higher reps and moderately heavy weight is sufficient to achieve this? Or perhaps I can lift heavy one week with less reps, and then lighter the next week with higher reps, and repeat?

However, I do plan on starting a bulking routine in the fall and then cutting towards the end of next winter when spring starts so that I can tone the muscle by next summer. Repeat.

I track my diet and nutrition. I haven't started recording my workouts yet, but I'm considering it so I can track gains.
You can workout as hard as you want for a couple years and not bee too big. You do not start working out and then realize a year down the road, oh no how did this happen, I got too big. All those guys in the gym that are bigger than how you want to be have been at it for many many years and or/ are messing with stuff you will never do.

Just work out hard, eat right add protein 1-2 grams per lb that you weigh per day. And you will see results, getting lean and ripped looking is not about taking crazy supplements, its about eating right and having discipline and understanding its not going to happen in 6 months.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:51 PM   #7
MikeyV
Captain
Rep
Drives: Audi A6 Avant & A1 Sportback

Quote:
Just work out hard, eat right add protein 1-2 grams per lb that you weigh per day. And you will see results, getting lean and ripped looking is not about taking crazy supplements, its about eating right and having discipline and understanding its not going to happen in 6 months.
You can do it in 12 weeks, I know a number of people who did the 'body for life' program, and ended up looking pretty good, one friend looked amazing, he dropped 20kg, looked ripped and strong, still does 5 years down the track.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2012, 02:59 PM   #8
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Supplements are exactly that - supplement the gaps in your diet. If you have gaps then supplement - they're not necessary for results.
      04-03-2012, 09:49 PM   #9
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep

Very nice, yeah I've leaned up quite a bit in the past 3 months, I'm definitely seeing very dramatic results from when I first started. Especially increased ambition in my lifestyle.

Honestly, I'm not sure if I need all the supplements I take. I know creatine helps, and protein I definitely need because there is no way I can eat enough in a day to get 160g of protein from foods. It's possible, but very hard for me due to my work/school schedule.

I was never "out of shape" completely, but I did have more body fat than I do now. However, after I started lifting, I noticed even more tone and better aesthetics as I started disciplining my diet and regularly hit the gym... something I never did before.

I just want to figure out the most effective ways for me to build muscle, but I guess that is going to take trial and error =/
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 09:43 AM   #10
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:

I just want to figure out the most effective ways for me to build muscle, but I guess that is going to take trial and error =/
You hit the nail on the head right there. Try different routines, and see which one works for you. Not everyone responds the same to workout routines.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 11:40 AM   #11
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep
Drives: 2013 535xi M-Sport SGM

My routine is eat whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want, and as much as I want, and weigh in @ 173 lbs regardless...

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 01:43 PM   #12
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alpine Whiteboy View Post
My routine is eat whatever I want, whenever I want, wherever I want, and as much as I want, and weigh in @ 173 lbs regardless...
Still in your 20's?
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 02:30 PM   #13
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep

Quote:
Still in your 20's?
I'll be 31 in July

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2012, 05:57 PM   #14
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
height?
      04-05-2012, 05:43 AM   #15
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick6EF View Post
height?
6'

Martino*Auto*Concepts
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 10:30 AM   #16
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'll be 31 in July
I have a friend just like that. He's 32, it is impossible for him to put on weight. But along with that it is also extremly hard for him to put on any decent amount of muscle size at all.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2012, 04:25 PM   #17
Alpine Whiteboy
Jerry's Fault...
Rep

Quote:
I have a friend just like that. He's 32, it is impossible for him to put on weight. But along with that it is also extremly hard for him to put on any decent amount of muscle size at all.
I'm sure I can put muscle on if I weren't so busy. I have a job where I do 12 hour shifts mon-Friday on my feet (I do commercial building maintenance), and I've also been training martial arts (mostly Jeet Kune Do) for quite some years as well so I'm very active but I burn so many calories a day I'd have to eat 5000+ calories to put on weight. Sometimes I feel like putting 10 lbs of muscle on, but it will only slow down my punches and kicks etc. so I don't go through with it. I have a friend who was just as slim as I am, and now his nick name is "Big Mike" because he benches over 400 lbs and curls 100 lb dumbells - all natural, no supplements at all.

Quote:
Originally Posted by coldasicex5 View Post
holy shit i swore u were 28...
No sir! People always tell me they thought I was 26-28 years old
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2012, 08:01 PM   #18
DesiRoc
Kumar
United_States
Rep

^ That's nuts. My goal is exactly that though, to look as lean and ripped as possible but have massive strength as well.

I'm still so new at it, but I have been noticing that I'm moving up in weight fast.

However, I'm 22 so I still have time I think. Lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2012, 08:05 PM   #19
Grayson
Heisenberg
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i

Day 1
- Chest & Triceps

Day 2
- Back & Biceps

Day 3
- Shoulders

Day 4
- Legs

I switch up the exercises within each day every 6 weeks to keep my body guessing. I also do HIIT (high intensity interval training) 2-3 times a week for my cardio. Also do a little abs each day. I've been going seriously for about 3 years now.

As far as supplements go, i've tried all the popular stuff and most are gimmicks. Right now I only take:

- Multivitamin
- Omega 3
- Tribulus
Appreciate 0