BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

European Auto Source (EAS)

05-03-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
morethanahandful
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 Convertible (on order)

Question Newbie Questions: Folding Mirrors, Alarm System

Mirrors - do the outside mirrors fold automatically when the car is locked?

Alarm System - is it standard? The material I've read leaves this ambiguous; I've seen reference to Coded Driveaway Protection to prevent starting, and somewhere that the car is prepped for an alarm as an option?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:12 AM   #2
sg///M3
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT

BMW's do not come with an actual alarm system (siren and motion sensor), but they are pre-wired for one. My CA keeps insisting that an alarm is useless. Any other thoughts on this?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:23 AM   #3
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2 Coupe, 2020 GLE 450

Garage List
Mirrors/Alarm system

Quote:
Originally Posted by morethanahandful View Post
The folding is manual, and only if you have the Premium Package.

Quote:
Alarm System - is it standard? The material I've read leaves this ambiguous; I've seen reference to Coded Driveaway Protection to prevent starting, and somewhere that the car is prepped for an alarm as an option?
The bulk of the alarm system is preinstalled, but only is active if you buy the alarm kit and install and activate it. It consists of two parts: 1) an interior motion sensor that installs in the rear seat overhead light housing, and 2) a tilt sensor/siren module that installs above the left rear wheel well liner (requres removing wheel and liner). MSRP is $311 for the parts. I got mine for $235 + shipping from Circle BMW. Installation takes under an hour. The ignition interlock is standard.

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2023 M2 Coupe - Brooklyn Grey/Cognac/CF, 6MT; 2020 MB GLE 450
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 12:50 PM   #4
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:

You need Premium Package as stated by someone already. Also they do not fold automatically when the car is locked. It is there so that when you get in your car and someone has pushed your mirrors in you don't have to go outside to push it back out.

Alarm system is not standard but is pre-wired (see above posters). You will need to get your car recoded for an alarm and that could cost about $120/hr but you can work that out with your dealership.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 12:53 PM   #5
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by sg///M3 View Post
BMW's do not come with an actual alarm system (siren and motion sensor), but they are pre-wired for one. My CA keeps insisting that an alarm is useless. Any other thoughts on this?
I put on my alarm system because of my valuables in my car. I have V1, IPOD, USB Drives and other stuff. I know if someone really wanted to break in they would but atleast maybe the system can give me an alert or atleast deter some.

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:16 PM   #6
djb
Rep
Drives: 2009 DCT M3 Sedan-JzBlk/FxRd

Standard Alarm...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post

The bulk of the alarm system is preinstalled, but only is active if you buy the alarm kit and install and activate it. It consists of two parts: 1) an interior motion sensor that installs in the rear seat overhead light housing, and 2) a tilt sensor/siren module that installs above the left rear wheel well liner (requres removing wheel and liner). MSRP is $311 for the parts. I got mine for $235 + shipping from Circle BMW. Installation takes under an hour. The ignition interlock is standard.
The M3 alarm is standard on all M3's in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2008, 10:58 PM   #7
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by djb View Post
The M3 alarm is standard on all M3's in Canada.
Yes, but you pay for it.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 12:53 AM   #8
Hammer
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:

i think the direct questions were answered above. just my 2 cents: i had the folding mirrors and never used em... there was no need at the whole time with the car(and i m living in a trafficjamed city with lots of carparks...).

btw where do i get more than the hand full of your avatar?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 01:15 AM   #9
sayemthree
Major General
Rep
Drives: ‘20 X3mC ‘20 Raptor ‘04 X3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by sg///M3 View Post
some do - they 535ix does - have heard he M3 does not.
      05-04-2008, 02:22 AM   #10
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: None

Quote:
Sure? With the premium package the folding should be automatic. Without premium package the mirrors can be manually folded.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 02:49 AM   #11
kyoshozx
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
Sure? With the premium package the folding should be automatic. Without premium package the mirrors can be manually folded.
With premium the mirrors fold when you hit a button inside it's not automatic, in when you lock the car it automatically folds. You have to manually press a button.

I believe with non premium you have to physically fold the mirrors yourself with your hand. (no 100% sure since I have premium)
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:22 AM   #12
Big Windy
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyoshozx View Post
With premium the mirrors fold when you hit a button inside it's not automatic, in when you lock the car it automatically folds. You have to manually press a button.

I believe with non premium you have to physically fold the mirrors yourself with your hand. (no 100% sure since I have premium)
yes, what you said was EXACTLY what i said, we both had two different ways of saying it. maybe my way wasn't as descriptive. the actual folding of the mirrors with the premium package is automatic...but you have to press the button to activate the feature. with non premium you can manually (physically) fold the mirrors yourself. this is nothing new from the regular 3 series.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 03:47 AM   #13
berb_uk
Private First Class
Rep

Can't you program the mirrors to automatically fold once in any way? I hear the I-drive lets you configure lots of things; but not the way the electric folding mirrors operate? Seems like a big oversight from BMW if that's the case? I'm sure thousands of owners would agree that when they lock/leave their car, they just want the mirrors to fold automatically? This is particularly important in the UK where we tend to have narrow roads!
      05-04-2008, 08:14 AM   #14
morethanahandful
United_States
Rep

Thanks to all for reading and responding; I thought this would be a short thread that would quickly die! However, I must admit that I remain confused. Maybe all my brains are in my...

Is there a way to configure settings via buttons or idrive whereby the outside mirrors will automatically fold in when you lock/leave and automatically foldout when you unlock/return?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:34 AM   #15
WCH
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M8C convertible

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks to all for reading and responding; I thought this would be a short thread that would quickly die! However, I must admit that I remain confused. Maybe all my brains are in my...

Is there a way to configure settings via buttons or idrive whereby the outside mirrors will automatically fold in when you lock/leave and automatically foldout when you unlock/return?
Unfortunately the answer is that there is no way to configure this to do it automatically.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 08:40 AM   #16
morethanahandful
United_States
Rep

Got it/Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:52 AM   #17
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Windy View Post
By manual I meant you have to push the button; it is not "automatic", though they will unfold at 20 mph if you've left them folded.

Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 02:20 PM   #18
Ryan(e92)
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: SG M6 coupe

[QUOTE=GregW / Oregon;2600757]The folding is manual, and only if you have the Premium Package.

if by manual you mean you press a button and they fold in then yes that is correct.

EDIT: he already corrected himself.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 04:53 PM   #19
m3larson
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6 Gran C 1997 M3 Track C

I just would like to har a confirmation when i locked the doors. Can careless about the alarm I just like hearing that i locked it when I'm walking away..

Cool, I didnt know the mirros unfolded after driving, usally unfold them to back out. I always use that option
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:06 PM   #20
djb
Rep
Drives: 2009 DCT M3 Sedan-JzBlk/FxRd

Paying for it...

Quote:
Yes, but you pay for it.
YOU bet we do... at what we pay, the alarm and other stuff BETTER be included!
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:20 PM   #21
Patricius
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 04 325xi, 05 M3 cpe, 08 M3 cpe

Regarding an alarm, when is the last time you heard a car alarm and ran toward the sound? The point is no one gives a shit, so I consider an alarm useless unless it has a two-way (unless you are concerned about your car while at home).
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2008, 09:42 PM   #22
dan6470
Private
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3

When outside the car you can hold the lock button to fold the mirrors (or the ridges if you have CA)...If you do this the mirrors automatically unfold when you unlock the doors.
Appreciate 0