E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Alpine Audio Retrofit Issues...

09-02-2014, 09:42 PM   #1
graphite
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 528xi

Alpine Audio Retrofit Issues...

Hey guys, so long story short, I sourced the OEM Alpine audio retrofit kit (http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-328...ine/ES2178579/ if you're not familiar) for my E90 w/ base stereo through my dealer and finally had it installed by them today. Took nearly all day but I figured I'd pony up the money to have them do it properly rather than trying to attempt it myself and screw something up. It also needed coding, which is something I'm not knowledgable in.

Picked it up late this afternoon and immediately noticed some issues... First one being that the midrange speaker in the passenger front door has significantly less volume than the one on the driver's door. It's not completely silent, but definitely not putting out much sound. Didn't even have the chance to leave the lot, showed it to my advisor and he took it back for them to check things out. They went over everything and even swapped the old speaker with the new one which yielded the same results as far as volume goes...

Wanted to see if anyone with this kit or knowledge of it has had this issue? Is this how the system is designed, or is something failing here? The car is going back to them in the AM to be dug into, but since they don't seem to have much experience with this kit, I'm trying to get any information I can on it.

Second issue is that it appears I've now got a blown/wonky driver's side subwoofer (never did experience the issue before). Obviously the bass with the Alpine system is much more powerful, but now with any sort of decent bass, I get a loud popping sound seemingly from the driver's side sub. It's extremely unpleasant and not really listenable... I'm guessing it will need replacement? A quick search yielded one thread of people complaining of issues with the Alpine kit and the stock subwoofers becoming blown regularly. Does anyone have any more insight on this one? I guess I'll just have to bite the bullet and replace it, but I don't want to throw even more money at this just to have it happen again if there's a different fix.

Overall a very disappointing and frustrating experience after being so excited about this kit, but I'm hoping that things can be resolved. Any input on this system and my issues is much appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 02:12 AM   #2
taibanl
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Im not familiar with blown woofer issues, however you could upgrade to the hifi ones

There IS a known issue with mislabeled wiring. You have to Mach colors
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:18 AM   #3
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

I've got the Alpine upgrade in my 2010 (had base system) and don't experience either of those problems. There are two install proceedures IIRC for different years/models; hopefully they used the correct one.

There are threads about the Alpine in the audio subsection: http://www.e90post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27 I'd go there and search/ask.
Appreciate 0