E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > Swapped from non-sport --> Msport steering wheel: Airbag + seatbelt warning ON

03-04-2013, 09:25 AM   #1
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW

Swapped from non-sport --> Msport steering wheel: Airbag + seatbelt warning ON

Hi team,

I swapped my non-sport steering wheel with an Msport-wheel with a sport airbag, and I now have both the airbag and seatbelt lights on. The 4x4 light was also on, but it has since disappeared. The horn also doesn't currently work. I did indeed disconnect the battery before any work was started.

Is this normal? (requiring a bit of coding to get rid off the errors?) Or do I have a bigger problem on my hand?

The weird thing is, there are two (rectangle-ish)connectors that don't connect to the airbag. They connect from the steering wheel to the central hub, and even when I removed the non-sport wheel, this connector was not connected. The color of this connector is green/yellow. After making sure all my connections were sound, I tried to connect this connector but it wouldn't have it--it simply would not connect.
My brown ground wire is connected.

For reference, I completely removed my non-sport steering wheel, and installed a complete mtech-wheel: It included all trim, wires, MF-buttons, harnesses, and airbag. I didn't swap anything over, just plopped on the complete Mtech wheel and connected the respective wiring. (except that one green/yellow wire that wasn't connected with the non-sport wheel)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.

I have attached a picture of the connector that won't connect.

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.
--Confucius

Last edited by BMWWW; 03-04-2013 at 09:31 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #2
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 Msport + E83 Msport

subscribed... about to do this myself. hope you get it resolved.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2013, 09:43 AM   #3
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep

After more digging, I think this will be one of the solutions in addition to getting the error-code cleared:

Post #527

Different Plug? (320dSE)
Installed Wheel on Saturday, what a difference!!! love the car even more now so much nicer to drive.

While installing, i went to plug airbag cables back into wheel, one had a 'notch' on it that did not allow it to fit so i had to file it down (see pic)

When called an idiot sometimes is better to be quiet than to open mouth and remove all doubt.
--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 07:52 AM   #4
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

^ did that file-down solution clear the codes and error lights for you?
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 08:36 AM   #5
DESI4life10
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: Coding: Desi4life10@gmail.com

Some hub connectors don't have that slot, which does not allow you to insert the airbag connector. Sanding down the notch, will work and you shouldn't have any issues.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 12:48 PM   #6
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SE3P_to_E90 View Post
^ did that file-down solution clear the codes and error lights for you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DESI4life10 View Post
Some hub connectors don't have that slot, which does not allow you to insert the airbag connector. Sanding down the notch, will work and you shouldn't have any issues.
I will update you in a few days or by this weekend. Caught a super-mean stomach bug, and have been bed-ridden for the past 24hours. I'll remember to keep this thread updated--though I suspect, a visit to your friendly-neighbourhood-coder will be required to clear the codes.

Desi, thanks! I'll be giving it a shot.

Stay tuned.

--Confucius

Last edited by BMWWW; 03-05-2013 at 12:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2013, 01:06 PM   #7
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

Hope you feel better, man... stomach bugs suck (the life out of you).

Staying tuned for details
Appreciate 0
      03-06-2013, 10:10 PM   #8
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep

Update:

The connector that needs to be filed down to fit properly controls the horn, and sends signals for the airbag.

Even after reconnecting it, once the airbag light is on, you'll need to find a local-coder to clear it. Got that all done tonight, and all systems are a go.

GL with your install, and don't reconnect the battery without ALL connections complete.

--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      03-08-2013, 09:45 AM   #9
SE3P_to_E90
Banned
United_States
Rep

^ glad you got it resolved... This was strange, because I had one of the earliest built e90's out there (2006 build), and it was a direct plug and play. No issues, multifunction controls work, horn works... no lights. nevertheless, glad you got it taken care of!

The steering wheel swap took no more than 20 minutes. I would say, the most difficult part about this install is the battery (neg terminal) removal, and airbag removal... other than that, it was a breeze. difficulty, 1/5.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2014, 11:18 PM   #10
lexae
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330xi 6-speed iDrive

Just did this exact retrofit myself. Took me about 25 minutes, the only thing that puzzled me was that connector. I found a knife in my glove box and just cut that little notch of. What a great feeling steering wheel it is!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2014, 09:57 PM   #11
COEHSP85
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M4

How much did it cost you to get the new airbag reprogrammed? Also have you had any issues with this after the install?
      05-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #12
nynyny
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i xDrive E92

Same question...

I guess I'll be holding off on installing my wheel for the time being :-/

Is this the kind of thing you need a dealer for? I don't have any tunes that would allow a code to be cleared...
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2014, 01:14 PM   #13
BMWWW
Private First Class
Rep

Sorry for the late reply.

2 quick things:
a) don't turn on the car/reconnect the battery before all wires are plugged in. Otherwise, you'll get the error codes I got.

b) look in your regional for someone with a cable to "code" the car. I found a local fella that did it for $20. Which ballooned to $50 because I opted for a handful of other things that can be coded on the e90.

Now to look for one with paddle shifters and a retrofit cable... best mod for the car since I touch it e.v.e.r.y time we're in it!

--Confucius

Appreciate 0
      11-30-2014, 01:17 AM   #14
xr@y
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Hi folks,

i am bored with my regular wheel and wanted to replace it. traditional way was to get a sport or ///m wheel. But i didn't like either of them, to me they looked a bit fat for a slim car. i looked out for other options and found a nice sport steering wheel from the Z4 E89. It is on the way now, though i need to get the airbag, before install.
i hope if i don't turn on the car/reconnect the battery before all wires are plugged in - it will be an easy and straight forward install. Have any of you tried this retrofit? I read some threads on retrofitting e9x steering wheels on Z4 but not vice a versa. hope it won't be problematic. Otherwise would appreciate your views and advice!

Last edited by xr@y; 11-30-2014 at 04:03 AM.. Reason: streamlined it a bit
Appreciate 0