F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Canada 1 Series Event (NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T)
ARMA SPEED

04-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #1
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Debadged

BMW Canada 1 Series Event (NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T)

EDIT: Updated w/ comments. Fixed images.

I attended the BMW 1 Series promotional event put on by BMW Canada today. This nationwide promotion is going on until June 22 with multiple stops across Canada. Today was the last day in the Vancouver area. Basically, it is a 2 hour promotional event similar to the orientation given to auto journalists before they receive a BMW loaner for review. Except, now this opportunity is open to the general public via web registration.

Annoyingly, this event was marketed as "NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T". This is probably in reference to the fact that this event has only limited spots available for the public. Ironically, obtaining a spot was quite elusive since the web registration was on BMW Canada's buggy website that prevented several interested members from signing up.

I like to think "NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T" actually refers to the styling of Chris Bangle and the 1 Series. What with the wide bug eyes and drooping lines in the side skirts that from the side profile look like the car was stepped on by something heavy..."NOT EVERY1 GETS 1T". It's not exactly a beautiful car.

On second thought, maybe they should have called it "NOBODY GETS 1T".

Showed up for the 8AM session at the (relatively) new British Columbia Driving Centre by the Pitt Meadow Airport. Sign up at the small tent with refreshments and multiple LCD TVs playing clip shots from Gran Turismo 4 and BMW F1. Multiple "journalist demo" cars in the holding area. Given it was 8AM on Sunday (something that Rich and I had strategically chosen), we only had 25 people or so show up. We were then divided into three groups.

Our group was first taken into the main tent where they had a Alpine White Cabriolet and Black Saphire Metallic Cabriolet parked. We were then given a 20 minute marketing speel about dynamics, safety, 50/50 weight distribution, yada yada. Hood was opened to show off the relatively low amount of engine hanging in front of the two front suspension struts.

The Cabriolet in Black Saphire Metallic was nothing special...I was neither impressed or put off. But the Cabriolet in Alpine White was exceptionally striking in person. Every press photo I have previously seen of the 1 Series has been awful. Ugly to the point where I was thinking that I would never purchase/lease the car.

But the 1 Series in white looks great. And I'm not a huge fan of white cars (my current car is jet black). Hmmm...seems like that a lot of European cars look fantastic in white (BMW 3 Series, Audi A3, Audi A4, VW GTI).

White is easily my favourite colour for this car. And the 1 Series definately looks better in person compared to the press photos. I know that's like saying Condoleezza Rice is hotter in person compared to her photos...but...

I urge you to take a look at a 1 Series in white at your dealer before you completely decide on the looks department.
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:45 PM   #2
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

The black saphire metallic cabriolet had several obvious swirl marks and scratchs on the hood. Haha. Black is such a pain. Even if it's a brand new car.

The 17" sized rims look well balanced on the 1 Series. Unlike the stupidly small 16" wheels they put on the base E90 in Europe and Canada. Slipstone...errr...I mean Bridgestone Runflats come standard of course. Sigh.

Considerable emphasis was made by the rep about the Cabriolet's great insulated (sound/heat) fabric folding roof. Roof folds flat in 20 seconds and can be operated while driving (up to 50km/h). Materials are apparently borrowed from the 6 Series Cabriolet sister. You can also get fabric with metallic (?) thread woven into the material that gives the fabric roof a metallic sheen.
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:46 PM   #3
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

More pictures of the cabriolets. The side profile of the front grill is to show the slightly straight profile that is supposedly influenced by the inward sloping grill on the BMW 2002. I think it just looks sorta like a E46.

Man that ugly amber reflector really shows up in flash photos, eh? I'm sure vinyl overlays will be another popular mod amongst 1 Series owners.
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:17 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #4
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Note that on the 1 Series, the angels eyes operate as DRLs much like the E92. Therefore the angel eyes are noticeably brighter than the stock E90 angel eyes.

Just like the E92, the inner angel eye is brighter than the outside angel eye. Also, when xenons are on, the angels eyes are dimmed automatically. I suspect the bulb lighting system is therefore similar to the E92. So likely no LUX mods for the 1 Series...unless Marc can come up with a clever workaround.

The angel eyes are not floating rings as in the E90. If you look closely, you will see they are built into the the xenon projector and not "floating" in front of the projector.

3/4 rear ass shots of the 1 Series actually don't look half bad. Hmmm...
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 12:48 PM   #5
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

After the marketing schpeel, we were led to the technical course. In this course a short autocross course was setup with cones to mainly show off the differences between cars equipped with Active Steering and cars without. The first corner had sand deliberately laid out and we were encouraged to oversteer around the corner and see how Active Steering would react with DSC.

Our first go was in a Titanium Silver 135i equipped with Active Steering. Given we were mainly going around the bends in first gear, the speed sensitive Active Steering allowed much less work. You can keep your hands at 9 and 3 o'clock (the proper driving position) for all but the craziest of hair pins. A quarter turn of the steering wheel pretty much turns the car around.

In our next go in a car without Active Steering. Much more work required at the wheel. At some the turns you had to turn the wheel at least half turn to get the car to get it to turn.

While I can understand the technical benefits of Active Steering (given that it works in concert with DSC to help correct oversteer), I'm not entirely convinced I would order the car with that option. Mainly, I'm concerned that if I get used to quicker reacting Active Steering I will become completely inept in driving a car without it. I forsee many a curbed wheel and misjudged corner in other cars. Frankly, I think I would rather stick to a car without it. I like my cars straight forward and not too many technical nannies on board.
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:32 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:00 PM   #6
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

A demo Alpine White 135i decked out in BMW Performance Parts (with carbon fiber spoiler, M-Tech aerokit, wheels and brakes). Tacky vinyl side graphics tho. Meh.

Gotta admit those brakes and wheels look nice. I really like the spoiler too...and I'm usually not a big spoiler whore.
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:01 PM   #7
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

The rest of the cars. Surprisingly the 1 Series Montego Blue doesn't look as good as it does on the E92.

The Deep Green Metallic 1 Series is likely only a Canadian only option. The BMW USA website doesn't even show an option to get it in that colour. Not likely it will be a popular choice anyway...it looks like ass.

Here is my ranking of colours (from best to worst) that look good on the 1 Series:

1) Alpine White
2) Sedona Red Metallic
3) Sparkling Graphite Metallic
4) Black Sapphire Metallic or Jet Black
5) Montego Blue Metallic
6) Titanium Silver Metallic
7) Monaco Blue Metallic
8) Cashmere Silver Metallic
9) Deep Green Metallic
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:08 PM   #8
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

The autocross course was really short. Not surprisingly for the autocross course, there were mainly 128i available as they likely didn't want people going too nuts with the 135i. A relatively short course...so nothing too exciting. But still fun nonetheless.

Overall it was a decent way to spend 2 hours on a Sunday morning. Considering it was free...can't really complain.

Now I might actually think about getting a 135i...in white...
Attached Images

Last edited by spacedogg; 04-06-2008 at 09:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 01:37 PM   #9
SteelTorque
Captain
Rep
Drives: 08 E92 335xi

How was autocrossing in the rain?
      04-06-2008, 02:15 PM   #10
ManBoobies
Rep
Drives: Mercedes CL203

I was in the car with Dave. It was a pretty simple course, so no real problems with the autocross.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 02:41 PM   #11
nusevad
O! So Sour!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fast 240z / Slow M3

Garage List
1971 Datsun 240z  [0.00]
2008 M3  [9.60]
Nice pics, but the bug eye'd headlights need to grow on me.
      04-06-2008, 03:29 PM   #12
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Sedan

How much track time did you really end up with?

I'll be at the one in Calgary on April 20! Looks like fun!
Black Vinyl roof|Black Line Tail Lights| Wanna be an ///M
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 03:45 PM   #13
ArmyBimmerDude
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Lola

Garage List
Wow, that white convertible actually looks pretty damn good!
      04-06-2008, 03:52 PM   #14
peazs
dub.dub
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2008 Honda Accord Coupe

Ah, were you there at today's 8am session? If so, I was there too in the yellow group!

I was surprised someone bought the M3 Sedan already (parked) as that just came in.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 03:59 PM   #15
ManBoobies
Rep
Drives: Mercedes CL203

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher91 View Post

The 2 hrs are broken up into 3 sessions.

In the first session, you're in a tent and they talk about the features of the car. The second session, you're trying out the active steering (they want you to drive slow for this). The last session is the really short autocross (1 straight, 1 lane change, a large curve, straight, final corner and then braking).

The number of runs will probably depend on how many people are in your group. Dave and I went to the 8am session today, and there were only 7 people in our group and 4 cars for each the tech and autocross sessions.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 04:11 PM   #16
Mr&Mrs323i
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 323i TiAg

My wife and I were in the 8am Saturday Green group. There was only 8 of us and the other groups had 3 guys per car so we had a little more time to drive.
I absolutely loved the 135i engine, how it come online as you press the pedal and the noises...oh that turbo noise!
The interior dimensions are too similar to our E30 and that is great for the both of us because we're so used to it. This is the perfect car for my wife to get into when she decides to upgrade.
Btw, thanks Spacedogg for the pics! I barely took some as we were switching around so often.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 04:12 PM   #17
peazs
dub.dub
Canada
Rep

I didn't acknowledge what was so special about Active Steering until directly comparing it to one w/o it today. Pretty nice.

On the autocross run, I was slipping more with the 128i sport version than the regular, not quite sure why. Didn't add more throttle than I did before. Maybe just wearing the rubber out overtime?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 07:05 PM   #18
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
looking good, thanks for sharing the pics

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 09:46 PM   #19
spacedogg
Colonel
Canada
Rep

Edited posts with comments and updated resized photos.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelTorque View Post
How was autocrossing in the rain?
FUN. Like they say...better when wet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by topher91 View Post

Make no mistake. This is not really an autocross course. Because if you go to the event thinking it is an autocross event you will likely get disappointed.

You only get a few runs (maybe 10-15 drives around a relatively short course). This is a promotional/marketing event first and foremost that is free and you get a bonus few opportunities to drive around cones. If you think of it that way, you won't be disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArmyBimmerDude View Post
Wow, that white convertible actually looks pretty damn good!
Yeah...alpine white in the 1 Series looks hot! I was surprised!

Quote:
Originally Posted by peazs View Post
Ah, were you there at today's 8am session? If so, I was there too in the yellow group!

I was surprised someone bought the M3 Sedan already (parked) as that just came in.
Ahhh...too bad we didn't meet up. I was in the green group. My E90 was parked up front (the only one with blacklines). Heh.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2008, 09:54 PM   #20
topher91
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: Alpine White Sedan

Nice thanks for the heads-up, I won't get overly excited then!
Black Vinyl roof|Black Line Tail Lights| Wanna be an ///M
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:26 AM   #21
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Active steering

So i went today at 10 AM, and I have to say, it was a blast! To boot around with those cars, and for free, can't complain! Yes, you have to listen to a bit of a sales pitch, but it wasn't too bad, and mostly informational.

I was blown away by how much a difference active steering makes. As spacedoggy pointed out, there were some s curves where with active steering, I was maybe turnin the wheel a quarter turn, but without it, to make the corners at the same speed, I'd have to do full half turns, and even then, it was hard making the turn without hitting the cones.

The steering response was so much quicker and firmer with it, the other steering felt like some big old cadillac, it was so soft.

At first, before trying it, i thought it would be a waste of money, but now, I'd say i'm totally convinced it makes a huge difference.

The only things I'm trying to figure out in my head is how often you'd use it. I think in regular city driving, how often are you going to be making super quick lane changes, or going thru little S curves like we did today to really have it play a difference vs normal?

If you auto-x a lot, I'd say it would be really great to have.

And the other downside in principle is as razor sharp the steering felt with it, I'd too be worried that I'd be getting away from the pure driving experience by getting used to it on this car and messing myself up when i drive any other car. And since I drive the wife's Mazda3 Sport all the time when we take her car, that's a real possibility!

For those who have been on the board long and read more than I, what are most people doing as far as getting it? What are their comments on it?
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2008, 12:37 AM   #22
peazs
dub.dub
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
So i went today at 10 AM, and I have to say, it was a blast! To boot around with those cars, and for free, can't complain! Yes, you have to listen to a bit of a sales pitch, but it wasn't too bad, and mostly informational.

I was blown away by how much a difference active steering makes. As spacedoggy pointed out, there were some s curves where with active steering, I was maybe turnin the wheel a quarter turn, but without it, to make the corners at the same speed, I'd have to do full half turns, and even then, it was hard making the turn without hitting the cones.

The steering response was so much quicker and firmer with it, the other steering felt like some big old cadillac, it was so soft.

At first, before trying it, i thought it would be a waste of money, but now, I'd say i'm totally convinced it makes a huge difference.

The only things I'm trying to figure out in my head is how often you'd use it. I think in regular city driving, how often are you going to be making super quick lane changes, or going thru little S curves like we did today to really have it play a difference vs normal?

If you auto-x a lot, I'd say it would be really great to have.

And the other downside in principle is as razor sharp the steering felt with it, I'd too be worried that I'd be getting away from the pure driving experience by getting used to it on this car and messing myself up when i drive any other car. And since I drive the wife's Mazda3 Sport all the time when we take her car, that's a real possibility!

For those who have been on the board long and read more than I, what are most people doing as far as getting it? What are their comments on it?
Ditto on the reaction after comparing a vehicle with and w/o Active Steering. Anyway, I believe BMW's purpose is to ease people's steering/driving in slow-speed situations such as parking, rather than fast lane changes or what not. It is also a safety feature in case if an accident was to occur, you and the car can react quick enough.

Also, for the comment in regards to being afraid that you may "get used to it", that's BMWs goal. For you to enjoy it and get used to it, so that you can seek it again in your next BMW (or so they want you to go up the ladder).

That's my view on this matter.
Appreciate 0