F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Nikon D810?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
Nikon D810?

Howdy All,

We have had another addition to family and I really want to get a DSLR to capture all the fun times (and take some amazing and artisitc shots of the car).

I am the type of person who goes all out. I don't mind spending for good quality but i also don't want to be wasteful.

I have done a lot of research and have been stuck on getting the Nikon D810. This will be my first DSLR.

I know you guys are passionate about photography so i will lean on your expertise.

Is this overkill also looked at 5d III, D7100, soon to be D9X00. Thoughts?
      08-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

It depends on what you shoot, how portable you want to be, and your post-processing workflow. 36 MP is a lot on a camera, and unless you need to crop a lot (and often) I wouldn't get one.

If I were you, I would go to your local camera shop and try out some Canons and Nikons and see which ergonomically feels good in your hands. Which features must you have, and which features are optional? Also, depending on what you're shooting, Canon or Nikon may have the better set of lenses for your needs.
      08-31-2014, 11:26 AM   #3
Autotech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

the d810 is on the pro side of the scale in the DSLR world. I have a d800 and im happy i didn't start with it. its a lot of camera with a lot of options. Takes wonderful photos theres no denying that. but there is no real "auto" function, so if you have never owned a DSLR idk if the D810 is a good starting off point to learn with. there are many other options that are more friendly to those who are learning. i started w a point and shoot, then D80, D300s (still have an has 250k shutters) and now the D800 w about 40k shutters
@JDS_Photos-instagram
@JDS-Photos - FB
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 11:43 AM   #4
yakuza70
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i coupe

Whoa a D810 for a first time DSLR user? I wouldn't recommend it. It's a pro level camera with a steep learning curve.

If your heart is set on a full frame camera, I'd recommend a D610 or Canon's equivalent. Camera technology evolves so fast and becomes obsolete relatively quickly. It's the lenses that are the true investment and should last you many years so I would spend less on the camera body and invest more in good lenses. A great camera body is only as good as its lens (and its user).

Another good resource is dpreview.com - check out the user forums. Word of warning: set aside some time as there's a massive amount of information there!
      08-31-2014, 02:43 PM   #5
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
@yakuza70 sounds like sound advice. I will head to the store this week and see how it goes.
      08-31-2014, 03:09 PM   #6
Vietballerz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 335i E92

Can't Go Wrong With Nikon D810

If you have the money to spend and a computer fast and big enough to handle the files then why not. I'm a professional photographer, and I just picked up this camera last week. It's an amazing camera. Lots of feature, but if you spend enough time reading and playing with it, I'm sure you can get amazing results. Great IQ, focusing, and color rendition. So many great features. KenRockwell did an indepth review on it. Look in youtube and you will find some reviews as well. Check out my facebook page and you will see some of my work with Nikon D4 & Nikon D810.

www.facebook.com/kevindinhphoto
www.kevindinh.com
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 08:49 PM   #7
Chewy734
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BMW 330i ZPP, ZSP

nice photos Kevin!
      09-02-2014, 10:41 AM   #8
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
The OP never told us what he was planning to shoot with his new DSLR, so I'd suggest starting with a used, consumer level Nikon or Canon, with a couple of decent lenses. Next, start shooting and see where you gravitate and then plan your next purchase based on what that dictates.

The D810 is a killer camera for portraits, landscapes, slow action shots and travel. You can get some stunning shots, but you'll need to use it with the very best lenses. For action, like professional sports, wildlife and birds, it's slow reacting and the big files fill its buffer quickly. Here, the DX models or even the 7100 might be better choice, OR Canon, which has many models that excel in this regard.

The OP may have prior experience that negates the need for an interim step. I went straight to full-frame DSLR, but I'd shot MF film and 35mm film for years prior and then came quickly to digital after several years out of photography. If you moving from a phone-camera to DSLR, then I say it'd be wise to take an interim step, if only for two or three months.
      09-03-2014, 08:53 AM   #9
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

OP what is your budget and end goal? If you don't intend to buy lenses and get very deep into the craft i wouldn't even recommend an interchangeable lens camera. If your goal is just better photos than what you are taking now i would just go out and get a larger sensored camera than you already have, in the interest of saving you money and time.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:37 AM   #10
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Thanks all for your comments. I did go ahead and purchase the 810. Now I am on to some lenses selection. Looking forward to shone great shots.
      09-03-2014, 06:30 PM   #11
Autotech
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Thanks all for your comments. I did go ahead and purchase the 810. Now I am on to some lenses selection. Looking forward to shone great shots.
congrats!! lenses are where the money is! beware, its a terrible hobby/profession to get into!
@JDS_Photos-instagram
@JDS-Photos - FB
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:16 PM   #12
druu
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 M8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Autotech View Post
congrats!! lenses are where the money is! beware, its a terrible hobby/profession to get into!
Buying gear will be your newest obsession haha. The lenses, the flashes, the stabilizers, the straps, the light modifiers, the second body, the smaller system. Pretty sure most of us on this part of the board have suffered through this. At least you won't have to upgrade bodies for a little while. Congrats on the body purchase!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 09:37 PM   #13
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Too many hobbies..... Just ordered the Nikon 1910 Fisheye. Now need an everyday lens. looking 24-100mm ish.
      09-12-2014, 11:06 AM   #14
geoffi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi

I am leaning towards the D810, it's a really great deal
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 11:16 AM   #15
geoffi
Registered
Rep
Drives: Audi

This page is useful, you can read the features here, it would be nice to have a comparison for the D810 and D800/D800E

http://thedigitalcamera.net/nikon-d8...he-difference/
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:34 AM   #16
johncieera
Rep
Drives: The Audi A4

I ma using a D810 dslr. I am a proud owner and have been taking hundreds of thousands of photographs
Appreciate 0
      09-29-2014, 09:45 AM   #17
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncieera View Post
I ma using a D810 dslr. I am a proud owner and have been taking hundreds of thousands of photographs

You must be fast.

Congrats.
      12-19-2014, 07:10 AM   #18
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 540i XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
Too many hobbies..... Just ordered the Nikon 1910 Fisheye. Now need an everyday lens. looking 24-100mm ish.
I've been shooting for years and have a lot of a Pro gear. I picked up a 24-70 f2.8 a couple years ago and I've found its on my camera 90% of the time.

On my D800 it's the perfect focal range for most of what I shoot. Which is everything from Landscape to people to static and rolling shots of cars. The image quality is outstanding as well.

You can see a lot of examples in my stream. Just check the EXIF info.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/mik3ymomo/
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #19
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
I don't know the Nikon lenses, but I know focal lengths on full-frame cameras. My kit is 15/2.8 fisheye, 24-105/f4, 70-200/f4 and 500/f4, with 1.4x and 2.0x Teleconverters and a 25mm extension tube.

Given the exceptional high-ISO performance of the D810, I'd suggest seriously considering f/4 lenses over f/2.8, in general. Use higher ISO to get your speed, not a heavier, larger lens. If you "must" have a big aperture at some focal length, like 80, 90 or 100mm for portraits, then consider a prime.
      12-20-2014, 03:21 PM   #20
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
I don't know the Nikon lenses, but I know focal lengths on full-frame cameras. My kit is 15/2.8 fisheye, 24-105/f4, 70-200/f4 and 500/f4, with 1.4x and 2.0x Teleconverters and a 25mm extension tube.

Given the exceptional high-ISO performance of the D810, I'd suggest seriously considering f/4 lenses over f/2.8, in general. Use higher ISO to get your speed, not a heavier, larger lens. If you "must" have a big aperture at some focal length, like 80, 90 or 100mm for portraits, then consider a prime.
I disagree whole heartedly. ISO performance should be a last resort. As the ISO increases you lose dynamic range in the file.
What's the point of paying all that money for a D810 if you purposely compromise that image quality?

Increasing ISO is the last thing I do when I run out of options. My advice is buy the best you can afford and then do what you HAVE to do from there.
If you are serious about your photos never have a game plan that starts by compromising the quality of your images.
      12-20-2014, 04:13 PM   #21
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mik3ymomo View Post
I disagree whole heartedly. ISO performance should be a last resort. As the ISO increases you lose dynamic range in the file.
What's the point of paying all that money for a D810 if you purposely compromise that image quality?

Increasing ISO is the last thing I do when I run out of options. My advice is buy the best you can afford and then do what you HAVE to do from there.
If you are serious about your photos never have a game plan that starts by compromising the quality of your images.
I hear this a lot from the Nikon guys. I personally think they're living in the 20th century and following "rules" that applied to sensors five-generations ago and even going back to film. I think that the Nikons have every bit as good dynamic range as the Canons.

I'm mainly a wildlife photographer and use ISO 800 as my default to get needed shutter speed and a bit of DOF. I shoot hand held, even at 1,000mm and beyond.

If I'm shooting only landscape, then I might use the tripod, lock the mirror up and use remote release, but the f-stop is still going to be f/8 to f/11 to optimize lens optics. I'd never shoot the Grand Canyon at f/4, much less f/2.8 or, heaven forbid, below f/2. What's the point of paying all that money for an 810 if you'll purposely compromise the image quality?

Here's a hand held shot, taken before sunrise this morning at ISO 400, +2/3EV, f/8.0 and 1/50-sec. with my 70-200mm f/4 IS lens. I dare say that opening the shutter a couple of stops would have hurt image quality, all other things being equal.

All you guys and gals, work with higher ISOs and a good Raw converter. We're no longer shooting Kodachrome, Velvia and Ilford. Come into the 21st century and use the full capacities of you cameras. When you need bokeh, then pull out a large aperture lens, but don't carry around a heavy, big lens so that you can get a poor tradeoff between ISO and lens speed.

Park Office Before Sunrise by dcstep, on Flickr

Dave
      12-20-2014, 06:32 PM   #22
Mik3ymomo
Lieutenant
Rep

I shoot a little of everything including some wildlife. I have several reasons for using Pro gear. The Aperture isn't the only reason although it's a fair enough reason. The pro lenses usually have more ED (enhanced dispersion) glass elements which render a higher quality image. The pro lenses are also metal vs the consumer grade lenses which are plastic. I don't need to really explain the difference in durability of metal vs plastic?

Plastic barrel consumer grade lenses are not rated for even half the operating life as the pro metal counterpart. Nikon claims 8 years for consumer and 20+ for the pro lens lifespan.

The Pro lenses are also weather sealed which keep out dust and rain etc much better.

There has been some popular internet reviewer named Ken Rockwell that has been telling everyone they don't need pro gear and the consumer gear is just as good. That person accepts donations as his only form of income.

Do you think a consumer would pay him if he was telling them they HAD to pay thousands on gear?
No..

And if Pro's make their income from their images why would they spend thousands if they didn't have to? They only buy what they must because it comes out of their margin.

No offense to you Dave. You look like you enjoy the Hobby and are honestly trying to help. I've looked at your images and you do have some very nice ones on your site but I think we disagree fundamentaly on this.

I have done my best to explain in a factual and scientific way so people can decide which philosophy they want to follow.

I still recommend people buy the best they can afford if they care about their images.