F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Beginners Crash Course in photography...written by a noob for noobs
Extreme Powerhouse

05-04-2011, 10:24 AM   #45
bmwe60
Rep
Drives: Black BMW E60 530i

Im waiting to get a 5D mark 3 once cannon comes out with it! :S
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2011, 08:33 AM   #46
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 Cpe Silverstone FR 6MT

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwe60 View Post
Im waiting to get a 5D mark 3 once cannon comes out with it! :S
Of course you realize that will likely be a 2012 event now, given the quake and tsunami disruption of supplies. In a normal cycle you'd expect an announcement Aug/Sep, early availability for the connected and obsessive by late Nov, early Dec and the masses could buy early in the year. Now you need to move at least the delivery part of the timeline back a good six-months.

What do you think it's going to do that it doesn't do now. I'd bet that the main improvements will be in video interface and performance in video mode. It's a breakthrough camera in that regard and they'll want to put it back in the lead and continue the usage by video pros. I doubt that we'll gain much in still IQ. AF may improve, up to or near the 7D level, but that's only important if you shoot nature and sports with the 5D, which most do not, since the 7D or 1D MkIV is generally considered better for that.

Unless you're a videophile, I think now is the time to buy.
      05-05-2011, 10:59 AM   #47
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: white 135

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcstep View Post
Of course you realize that will likely be a 2012 event now, given the quake and tsunami disruption of supplies. In a normal cycle you'd expect an announcement Aug/Sep, early availability for the connected and obsessive by late Nov, early Dec and the masses could buy early in the year. Now you need to move at least the delivery part of the timeline back a good six-months.

What do you think it's going to do that it doesn't do now. I'd bet that the main improvements will be in video interface and performance in video mode. It's a breakthrough camera in that regard and they'll want to put it back in the lead and continue the usage by video pros. I doubt that we'll gain much in still IQ. AF may improve, up to or near the 7D level, but that's only important if you shoot nature and sports with the 5D, which most do not, since the 7D or 1D MkIV is generally considered better for that.

agreed at this point in time.

Megapixel size seems to be at a stand still, so don't expect a major jump, if at all. All that's really missing on the current unit is the auto focus system and the video as mentioned. I was just looking around online last night and the original 5D is still selling for more then 1000$ it's still a very desirable camera to many. I also know a professional who's shooting a 1DmkIV and carries the original 5D as his backup and his daily shooter.

If you think the 5D mk II is costing too much, wait untill closer to fathers day and there will be lots of sales on.

At this point, for me to step away from my 5D mkII into the next version, the camera better be absolutely rediculous and godly.

as it stands, i've been shooting the 5DII for almost a year, and the images still blow me away sometimes.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2011, 07:54 AM   #48
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Great opening post! Im still new to photography. Thanks for sharing!
      07-21-2011, 11:20 PM   #49
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Found this in a training manual for a company I am shooting for now, thought it might help the newbs out a little with a visual. Feel free to add it to the 1st post OP.

Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 08:22 AM   #50
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:

i disagree with you about the AF...better AF is ALWAYS useful. the AF on the 5Dii is downright pitiful. More focus points and more accuracy will be welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 11:12 AM   #51
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oneintheory View Post
i disagree with you about the AF...better AF is ALWAYS useful. the AF on the 5Dii is downright pitiful. More focus points and more accuracy will be welcomed.
I agree that the AF is pitiful on the 5DII, however, it works, I've never had a problem with it on mine. That being said, I mainly have it on center focus only, which is the strongest of the focus points, so maybe that's why i'm not complaining.

It doesn't come close to what the 7D and 1D series are capable of, but it's not like it doesn't work at all.

I'm quite content with the performance, I would just love to see at least the sharpness of the 7D on the next model along with its increase in pixels.

I do hope that the AF is 100% better, but i don't think that will make or break the sales of that camera, it's not really a sports type of shooter.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2011, 12:54 PM   #52
oneintheory
no longer a BMW owner
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Ford Edge Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1 View Post
I agree that the AF is pitiful on the 5DII, however, it works, I've never had a problem with it on mine. That being said, I mainly have it on center focus only, which is the strongest of the focus points, so maybe that's why i'm not complaining.

It doesn't come close to what the 7D and 1D series are capable of, but it's not like it doesn't work at all.

I'm quite content with the performance, I would just love to see at least the sharpness of the 7D on the next model along with its increase in pixels.

I do hope that the AF is 100% better, but i don't think that will make or break the sales of that camera, it's not really a sports type of shooter.
i'd just like to see more points, really. and more high-sensitivity points (like the 7D). not really interested in tracking or zone AF, i just want higher accuracy and more points.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:34 PM   #53
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 Z4 3.0si, 2013 E92 M3 ZCP

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW Z4 3.0si  [9.00]
I've got a D3100. Thinking of jumping into another prime lens before jumping into a new camera. I already have a 35mm 1.8. I mostly shoot my kids, car typical vacation shots. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2011, 04:53 PM   #54
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aries326 View Post
I've got a D3100. Thinking of jumping into another prime lens before jumping into a new camera. I already have a 35mm 1.8. I mostly shoot my kids, car typical vacation shots. Any suggestions? Thanks.
Why wouldn't you get a wide to medium zoom for more versatility?
      12-14-2011, 05:20 PM   #55
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
What would be considered a wide to medium zoom? I've got a nikon 18-105mm, tamron 18-270mm (which I bought while on vacation when the plastic mount on the 18-105mm broke), and 35mm.

I was thinking of also getting a Sigma 10-20mm for scenery while we're on vacation and for car pics.
      12-15-2011, 08:58 AM   #56
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Quote:
What would be considered a wide to medium zoom? I've got a nikon 18-105mm, tamron 18-270mm (which I bought while on vacation when the plastic mount on the 18-105mm broke), and 35mm.

I was thinking of also getting a Sigma 10-20mm for scenery while we're on vacation and for car pics.
Yeah, on your crop sensor the Sigma 10-20mm would be good for scenics.

If you're getting serious, and considering that you've already broken one cheap lens, you might think about moving into the higher end of Nikkor lenses, with less extreme zoom ranges. Something like a 16-85mm and then later an 80-200mm.

Your interest in primes is understandable, given the zooms that you have. Go for higher quality lenses and you'll be making "investments" that you can use on various camera bodies for years to come.

Also, particularly with zooms and super-wide lenses, use the geometric correction modules in Lightroom, DxO and other RAW conversion softwares that correct from geometric distortion, CA, softness, etc. at every focal length and every aperture. This will elevate the sharpness of good zooms up close to the best primes. Really!

If you're not shooting in RAW and you're serious about photography, then you should start. It'll give you an extra stop of dynamic range and seriously increased ability to enhance your images.

Let us know what you decide to buy.

Dave
      12-15-2011, 11:56 AM   #57
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Yeah, on your crop sensor the Sigma 10-20mm would be good for scenics.

If you're getting serious, and considering that you've already broken one cheap lens, you might think about moving into the higher end of Nikkor lenses, with less extreme zoom ranges. Something like a 16-85mm and then later an 80-200mm.

Your interest in primes is understandable, given the zooms that you have. Go for higher quality lenses and you'll be making "investments" that you can use on various camera bodies for years to come.

Also, particularly with zooms and super-wide lenses, use the geometric correction modules in Lightroom, DxO and other RAW conversion softwares that correct from geometric distortion, CA, softness, etc. at every focal length and every aperture. This will elevate the sharpness of good zooms up close to the best primes. Really!

If you're not shooting in RAW and you're serious about photography, then you should start. It'll give you an extra stop of dynamic range and seriously increased ability to enhance your images.

Let us know what you decide to buy.

Dave
Thanks for your advice. I was checking out Adorama and it looks like the Nikon 16-85mm is the lens I will be getting next. I looked at the type of photos shot with this lens on Flickr and I was impressed. This is more practical at this time than the Sigma 10-20mm. I can still take great portraits with this lens. With a baby on the way this March, we won't be going away to any beaches anytime soon.

I still have to read up on post-processing. Right now, I am taking shots in RAW but usually, all I do is use the Nikon D3100 RAW preset and other plug-ins for Aperture. I don't know too much about correcting geometric distortions, CA, how much softness I should use in portraits, etc... I still have a lot to learn.

Henry
      12-15-2011, 12:44 PM   #58
dcstep
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 M3  [8.40]
Henry, Henry, Henry... take the baby to the beach. They love it. Sunscreen is wonderful. I was born before sunscreen and some of the earliest pix of me are me splashing in the shallow waves at Jacksonville Beach. This must be your first baby, so don't let it stop your life, bring it along for the fun. Yeah, it's a pain hauling all the baby's crap (literally and figuratively) but it's worth it. You can snap a ton of memories, but you have to get the baby out of the house. (Oh, and don't forget to occasionally leave it with a sitter and get out for fun without).

That Nikkor lens will be great for baby portraits and scenics (not all need to be super-wide). Don't forget to spend some effort to get some good shots of the wifey while she's young and gorgeous.

Once you've passed the entry level, investing in the best lenses that you can afford will pay off both immediately and in the long run. Bodies will come and go, but you'll be using those lenses for many years, if they're good.

I don't know about Aperture's capabilities, but maybe someone on the forum can tell us if it'll do automatic geometric corrections and how to set that up, if it exists. Most of us can live with the distortions so long as we're not shooting buildings at real wide angles. Also, unless you want to get shot, be careful about closing in close on the wife with a super-wide. Stay at the long end for flattering portraits.

Have fun.

Dave
      12-17-2011, 01:14 AM   #59
Aries326
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Henry, Henry, Henry... take the baby to the beach. They love it. Sunscreen is wonderful. I was born before sunscreen and some of the earliest pix of me are me splashing in the shallow waves at Jacksonville Beach. This must be your first baby, so don't let it stop your life, bring it along for the fun. Yeah, it's a pain hauling all the baby's crap (literally and figuratively) but it's worth it. You can snap a ton of memories, but you have to get the baby out of the house. (Oh, and don't forget to occasionally leave it with a sitter and get out for fun without).

That Nikkor lens will be great for baby portraits and scenics (not all need to be super-wide). Don't forget to spend some effort to get some good shots of the wifey while she's young and gorgeous.

Once you've passed the entry level, investing in the best lenses that you can afford will pay off both immediately and in the long run. Bodies will come and go, but you'll be using those lenses for many years, if they're good.

I don't know about Aperture's capabilities, but maybe someone on the forum can tell us if it'll do automatic geometric corrections and how to set that up, if it exists. Most of us can live with the distortions so long as we're not shooting buildings at real wide angles. Also, unless you want to get shot, be careful about closing in close on the wife with a super-wide. Stay at the long end for flattering portraits.

Have fun.

Dave

Actually, this will be our third baby. We have a 4 year old and a two year old. The 4 year old has been to Waikiki and Aruba. The 2 year old to Aruba. I'll have to share some of my best pics of them from Aruba for you guys to critique. With a third coming, it'll be a handful traveling so we'll wait until the baby is a little older before going to any beaches.

Yeah, the wifey does love to get her picture taken. I wish I had a better camera when she was in her 20s. But she's still gorgeous.

So, I decided to get the 16-85mm but can't find it locally. B&H, Adorama and even Amazon only has it on backorder. the 16-85mm is available at Adorama but it is a Nikon refurbished lens for $70 cheaper than brand new. Should I just get that lens for the holidays or just wait until they get some new ones in?

I'm really falling in love with photography. I've put together picture books for the each of the kids for their first year of life and picture books for our vacations. I'd love to expand my subjects.

I just love how good photographers can just take shots of just about anything and with the perfect composition, lighting, etc, you've got a work of art. When work is slow, like it is now, I can spend all night looking at other people's photographs and trying to learn from them.
      12-17-2011, 08:06 AM   #60
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Actually, this will be our third baby. We have a 4 year old and a two year old. The 4 year old has been to Waikiki and Aruba. The 2 year old to Aruba. I'll have to share some of my best pics of them from Aruba for you guys to critique. With a third coming, it'll be a handful traveling so we'll wait until the baby is a little older before going to any beaches.

Yeah, the wifey does love to get her picture taken. I wish I had a better camera when she was in her 20s. But she's still gorgeous.

So, I decided to get the 16-85mm but can't find it locally. B&H, Adorama and even Amazon only has it on backorder. the 16-85mm is available at Adorama but it is a Nikon refurbished lens for $70 cheaper than brand new. Should I just get that lens for the holidays or just wait until they get some new ones in?

I'm really falling in love with photography. I've put together picture books for the each of the kids for their first year of life and picture books for our vacations. I'd love to expand my subjects.

I just love how good photographers can just take shots of just about anything and with the perfect composition, lighting, etc, you've got a work of art. When work is slow, like it is now, I can spend all night looking at other people's photographs and trying to learn from them.
a good option to consider is the refurbed one, especially if it can get there before christmas day!!! Think of the memories.

with all honesty, a refurbed lens is a new lens. Sometimes it was an open box at a store, just sent back for repackaging, and they even look over those and tweak if necessary. sometimes it's a flaw that was caught on the manufacturing floor, and they pulled it off before it got to boxing, and just altered whatever may have been noticed.

I wouldn't be afraid to go refurbed because it means extra attention has been paid to that lens to ensure it's how it's meant to be, in some cases that may mean a refurbed is better then one you buy straight out of the box. Less chance for a flaw.

but you sacrifice some warranty, it's a trade off.

If you're anything like me, warranty doesn't mean anything more then an opportunity to upgrade to something newer.
Appreciate 0
      12-17-2011, 08:07 AM   #61
The1
Major General
Canada
Rep

opportunity = excuse to go shopping and buy something else :P
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 12:38 AM   #62
gajidy
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW X5

Great info
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2014, 05:15 PM   #63
c12h23
Rep
Drives: 5 Series

Thanks

Thanks for sharing!
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 09:54 AM   #64
MulattoMajor
Private
Rep
Drives: MG F30

http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=417604

Read this thread years ago, need to re read, some pics seem to be down that were used as reference but still a plethora of information.

Great thread OP.
Appreciate 0
      07-30-2014, 10:01 AM   #65
Dalecan
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Aston V8VS, F85 X5M, TVR, 128i

I just bought my first DSLR, a Nikon D7100, and this post has help so much. I'm off to hike Kilimanjaro tomorrow, so hopefully I can get one or two good shots.

Thanks again OP and all the contributors. So much to learn and so little time!
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2017, 03:15 PM   #66
golfinz
Captain
Rep
Drives: Tanzanite M3

Sold both of my M3s a few years ago so I haven't visited this forum in a while but I stopped over to see how things were going and kinda forgot about this post! Glad it has helped! At the end of the day, the more you shoot, the more you learn! Get your gear out!
Appreciate 1
sirdaft12193.50