F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Photography/Videography > Anyone in to R/C Multirotors?
ARMA SPEED

01-29-2014, 05:30 PM   #23
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 335xi

NICE!
Is that your first multi? If so that's a hell of a way to start.

Nerd questions:
Are you on 5.8 ghz?
Do you know the total weight?
Flight time?
How do you like your setup? Anything you would change?

I'm running 3s 5000mah on 10 x 4.7 CF Gemfans. I've always been curious if I had it setup right running a 3s or if I should run a 4s.

I've been looking at the tarod and the Arris cm2000.
Going to get my FPV stuff first and going with 900 mhz / ~600mw pieced together system.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:02 AM   #24
bretster
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotorocious View Post
NICE!
Is that your first multi? If so that's a hell of a way to start.

Nerd questions:
Are you on 5.8 ghz?
Do you know the total weight?
Flight time?
How do you like your setup? Anything you would change?

I'm running 3s 5000mah on 10 x 4.7 CF Gemfans. I've always been curious if I had it setup right running a 3s or if I should run a 4s.

I've been looking at the tarod and the Arris cm2000.
Going to get my FPV stuff first and going with 900 mhz / ~600mw pieced together system.
Yes it's my first one, just picked up a f450 to practice more maneuvers i don't want to risk the f550 with lol.

Yes, I'm on 5.8 ghz. Total weight is unknown but it's pretty heavy. I'm running a 2200mAh 3s and a 6600mAh 4s on one ship, getting about 10-11 mins of flight time with LED's on, gimbal active with gopro running and fpv live.

Dove right into it and looking to start building a s1000
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 10:33 AM   #25
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bretster View Post
Yes it's my first one, just picked up a f450 to practice more maneuvers i don't want to risk the f550 with lol.

Yes, I'm on 5.8 ghz. Total weight is unknown but it's pretty heavy. I'm running a 2200mAh 3s and a 6600mAh 4s on one ship, getting about 10-11 mins of flight time with LED's on, gimbal active with gopro running and fpv live.

Dove right into it and looking to start building a s1000
How do you like flying fpv from the go pro? I've always heard pros/cons to that but like that you can adjust the angle with the gimbal

Post up any new videos you take.
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 12:49 PM   #26
SflBimmer8484
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: .

I just picked up a Hubsan to learn on. Ive flown micro 4 ch copters in the past but I figured i'd get good with this little indestructible copter first then pick up a dji with gimbal.

If anyone is looking to get into the hobby cheap check these out. They can do anything the big ones can do besides carry a gopro. They also have a fpv version.

http://www.tmart.com/Hubsan-X4-H107C...FYNQ7AodOXYArw

This video got me hooked!

Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 01:03 PM   #27
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
I just picked up a Hubsan to learn on. Ive flown micro 4 ch copters in the past but I figured i'd get good with this little indestructible copter first then pick up a dji with gimbal.

If anyone is looking to get into the hobby cheap check these out. They can do anything the big ones can do besides carry a gopro. They also have a fpv version.

http://www.tmart.com/Hubsan-X4-H107C...FYNQ7AodOXYArw
Good info.
There are a few good first time multis out there.
Careful flying outside with the smaller ones. Wind can easily over come the power and carry your new quad far far away

I started out with a WF v929.

This is a fun video showing some other options and durability
Appreciate 0
      02-05-2014, 07:18 PM   #28
bretster
Major
Rep

Quote:
How do you like flying fpv from the go pro? I've always heard pros/cons to that but like that you can adjust the angle with the gimbal

Post up any new videos you take.
Haven't gotten around to taking video yet, I'm still learning the ropes. The F550 needs some serious trimming while hovering because the extra battery and upgraded landing gear offsets the trim and puts it out of wack. Need to perfect the trimming and i'll get some sweet real estate cinematography.

Quote:
Good info.
There are a few good first time multis out there.
Careful flying outside with the smaller ones. Wind can easily over come the power and carry your new quad far far away

I started out with a WF v929.

This is a fun video showing some other options and durability
Mini-quads get caught in wind and fly away haha I've seen it happen to a buddy of mine trying to learn on a blade 350qx.

It's incredibly addicting lol
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 03:18 PM   #29
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Quote:
I have a DJI F550. Bought mine last week.

My ship includes:
- DJI F550 frame blacked out
- Naza M V2 w/ LED setup
- Tarod 2-Axis Gimbal for the GoPro 3+
- Photoship One Carbon Fiber Landing Gear
- DJI iOSD mini
- Fatshark Predator V2 FPV Goggles
- Futaba T8J Controller
- Pulse 6600mAh 4S battery & 2200mAh 3S to run my iOSD and gimbal and LED strip.
- Carbon fiber 10x3.8 propellors
- 2 switches to control power to gimbal and LED's
^that's one sick looking setup!

at myself now for clicking this link. thanks OP

didn't know about these things other than the ones i see in the mall kiosks which are a joke compared to these professional rigs. now i NEED one in my life. lol
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2014, 03:56 PM   #30
Fifty3bags
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2010 135i

I've been looking into them ever since my last semester of college. A quadcopter was my group's senior design project. We were trying to make it autonomous and fly by itself. Due to limited time and resources we were only able to get it to launch, stabilize, hover for a few seconds and land.

I'm sure I'll get one to tinker with eventually
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 11:14 AM   #31
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 Space Grey 335i

in on thread just picked up a little something!

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2014, 08:05 PM   #32
bretster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post

didn't know about these things other than the ones i see in the mall kiosks which are a joke compared to these professional rigs. now i NEED one in my life. lol
Hey bro, if you're still in the northern nj area I'm located in Morris Plains, feel free if you want to swing by i can show you the ropes or help you build your ship. Always cool to help out another forum member.

Quote:
Originally Posted by My335iTT View Post

Awesome man! the phantom 2 is a sweet rtf rig to get right up and shooting. The F550 still hasn't seen flight time, it hovered around a bit a few weeks ago but were doing some lighting tweaking and more adjustments to the landing gear before we get it up in the air.

Can't wait to start flying
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:38 AM   #33
gixxer_kidd
Major
Rep
Drives: e92 m3

Garage List
2008 m3  [10.00]
Quote:
Hey bro, if you're still in the northern nj area I'm located in Morris Plains, feel free if you want to swing by i can show you the ropes or help you build your ship. Always cool to help out another forum member.
Def bro! I'm in Edgewater. Once the weather gets warmer I would love to checkout your setup.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 09:16 AM   #34
Kwando
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 340i xDrive

Quote:

Sweet! Did you get this off Amazon? I just added the exact same kit on my wish list lol.

What are you guys using for a viewer? I saw one post using goggles but curious about what others are planning to use. If using a GoPro I wonder how it'll work with their app. So they're generally pretty easy to fly? I've seen some pretty smooth videos and others not so much.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 01:04 PM   #35
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep
Drives: Something Italian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gixxer_kidd View Post

Shortly after my fellow Floridian started this thread i came within a few clicks of going head long into a few thousand dollar set up. The thought of ammo prices dropping kept me from committing.

I just ordered one of the Blade Nano QX models posted above. A bit of a gamble as i see it. One one hand i could get it and it may satisfy my desire to have yet another RC product. On the other hand it may really set the hook and i'll be out a few grand.

I suppose we'll find out shortly. Should be here monday.

Last edited by Mr Tonka; 02-15-2014 at 10:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 08:38 PM   #36
bretster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post
Sweet! Did you get this off Amazon? I just added the exact same kit on my wish list lol.

What are you guys using for a viewer? I saw one post using goggles but curious about what others are planning to use. If using a GoPro I wonder how it'll work with their app. So they're generally pretty easy to fly? I've seen some pretty smooth videos and others not so much.
I have a GoPro 3+ hooked up to my F550. We can use both the wifi to an ipad and our Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV Goggles. Both work perfect, I prefer to use the fat sharks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
Shortly after my fellow Floridian started this thread i came within a few clicks of going head into a few thousand dollar set up. The thought of ammo prices dropping kept me from committing.

I just ordered one of the Blade Nano QX models posted above. A bit of a gamble as i see it. One one hand i could get it and it may satisfy my desire to have yet another RC product. On the other hand it may really set the hook and i'll be out a few grand.

I suppose we'll find out shortly. Should be here monday.
You will enjoy the blade nano qx, it's a really small intro to the hobby, and easy to master relatively quickly.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2014, 10:45 PM   #37
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I have a GoPro 3+ hooked up to my F550. We can use both the wifi to an ipad and our Fat Shark Predator V2 FPV Goggles. Both work perfect, I prefer to use the fat sharks.

You will enjoy the blade nano qx, it's a really small intro to the hobby, and easy to master relatively quickly.
I'm sure it will be fun. I'm a fairly good RC pilot. Just never got into copters. Still have a 36" 3D foamy and a combat wing. Started flying RC about 2005. I've got a few go pros and have some things i'd like to film from a more unique perspective, which is what got my attention with these. I think though, with how busy my next couple of months are, i'll likely not get anything larger for a while.
      02-17-2014, 06:23 PM   #38
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Awesome man! the phantom 2 is a sweet rtf rig to get right up and shooting. The F550 still hasn't seen flight time, it hovered around a bit a few weeks ago but were doing some lighting tweaking and more adjustments to the landing gear before we get it up in the air.

Can't wait to start flying
The landing on this sucks ass for me I can never get it perfect haha. Its been ok since THE DAY I got it its been winding as shit and raining.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kwando View Post

Yup got it off amazon and the crazy thing the guy selling it, his business is in Utah so I drove over and picked it up haha. I haven't done anything for FPV I just got the gimbal and I will worry about all the other stuff later. I am just in the test run now making sure I want to keep the thing. Its a lot of money to have a fly away or a crash or who knows what else could happen.

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2014, 05:16 PM   #39
Mr Tonka
is probably out riding.
United_States
Rep

Quote:
first time flying the Nano today. Been though 2 battery charges so far. I think it would be easier to grasp without RC plane experience. It's difficult to translate the aileron and elevator controls for fixed wing flight to multi rotor. It's somewhat similar, but the i keep trying to go forward with the throttle!

The rudder control is about the only thing that is really similar but i never used the rudder too much on my foamy and the flying wing doesn't have one.

Also, I'm defiantly using too heavy throttle adjustments to maintain consistent altitude. And when ever i start to get in trouble my instincts are to go max throttle and pull back on the elevator. No bueno for multi rotor flight.

The dog is NOT a fan of the Nano.
      02-18-2014, 11:48 PM   #40
bretster
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Tonka View Post
first time flying the Nano today. Been though 2 battery charges so far. I think it would be easier to grasp without RC plane experience. It's difficult to translate the aileron and elevator controls for fixed wing flight to multi rotor. It's somewhat similar, but the i keep trying to go forward with the throttle!

The rudder control is about the only thing that is really similar but i never used the rudder too much on my foamy and the flying wing doesn't have one.

Also, I'm defiantly using too heavy throttle adjustments to maintain consistent altitude. And when ever i start to get in trouble my instincts are to go max throttle and pull back on the elevator. No bueno for multi rotor flight.

The dog is NOT a fan of the Nano.
Yeah, the whole left stick orientation really throws people off, but this is my first RC experience of any kind. Learned on my F450, and have yet to fly the F550 so I'm very excited to give it a go. It'll take some practice but it'll get really addicting really quickly.

If you end up wanting to drop the nano, post it up on the classifieds on rcgroups forums and you'll get a bite really quickly. Good go-to for selling and buying used RC stuff.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 09:55 AM   #41
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

I just threw my phantom 2 up for sale haha. I don't think I will use it enough to justify the price. I don't want to keep it that long to see if they ban them and they go up in price either lol

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 10:20 AM   #42
Rotorocious
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

dang man

How many times did you fly it?
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 12:08 PM   #43
bretster
Major
Rep

Quote:
I just threw my phantom 2 up for sale haha. I don't think I will use it enough to justify the price. I don't want to keep it that long to see if they ban them and they go up in price either lol
How much are you selling it for?! I was thinking about picking up a phantom v2
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2014, 02:46 PM   #44
My335iTT
Moooore Power!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
dang man

How many times did you fly it?
About 3 times, one time a gust of wind almost grabbed it and threw it into a building. I think I would rather put the $800 into my car, I dont want to risk this thing crashing haha.

Quote:
How much are you selling it for?! I was thinking about picking up a phantom v2
My buddy just bought it for $750.

SeanE92 - SCAMMER
Appreciate 0