E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Brake, abs, dtc, dsc lights on without error codes?

07-09-2014, 05:22 PM   #1
DaytonaBMW
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92

Brake, abs, dtc, dsc lights on without error codes?

Hello guys,
Today, i stopped by at the hospital, got taken care of, and went to my car to get back home.

Oh first of all, it is 08 E92 328i coupe.
So i started the car, suddenly, the ABS, DTC/DSC, Break warning indicators (In Yellow) came out.

I drove it back home, i drove like normal, and a little crazy, and the car feels like just the same as it used to be. It seems like it has No problems at all! OH Except the Cruise control did not work(With warning indicator)

Weird... I called my Service Supervisor, and made appointment. I couldn't just wait til tomorrow, so i brought my car to Firestone, and asked them to scan my OBD II code.

There was No code. No fault codes at all, with all those warning lights.

Should it be just false signal?? cause when im looking at other posts, they all have the false code, but mine does not show any..

Thanks for reading!
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 06:22 PM   #2
e92_enthusiast_1
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '10 AW/CR e92 6mt 335i

Garage List
2010 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I think but im not sure that i've read this is related to a steering angle sensor issue. There is a DIY for cleaning it that has helped others. Did you come across any of those posts? Either way let us know the diagnosis.
      07-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #3
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Had the Same problem. Car is at dealer right now. Abs module bad. $2500 bill.

Called bmw of na and they said Maybe maybe they will pay some if more people report it
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 07:22 PM   #4
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

OBD readers cant see the BMW specific error codes in other modules. Usually ECM errors will have a related OBD code that shows up and trigger the CEL.

You need to get it scanned with a BMW diagnostic tool to check all the modules for errors. From the sounds of it, it's probably a bad wheel speed sensor or steering angle sensor.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:01 PM   #5
techwhiz
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 335i Sedan - Arctic

Had the same issue on my 335i. Tuned out to be a loose battery cable.
Check the battery first.
Arctic Metallic\CF Splitters, Spoiler, Mirror Covers\LED Tails\LSD\Tinted\Coded\Apex Square SM10-19"\LED Angel Eyes\Gloss Black Grill\Integrated V1 & Galaxy Tab\M-Performance Brakes\Cobb Tuned\xHP Flash\Resonator Removed and -> is your friend.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2014, 08:12 PM   #6
evoix
Major
Rep
Drives: X3m Evo IX Evo X

Checked battery And speed sensors. They said it's the module. It goes away and comes back I want to make sure they actually change the part. I'm gonna ask for the old module back. You think they will give it to me or say it's part of a core charge?????!
Appreciate 0
      07-10-2014, 09:30 AM   #7
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Evoix
What is your manufacture date? Module Masters can repair these but it depends on that date. Typically there is NOTHING wrong with your DSC module.
A bit of education here
There are 3 parts of this system
ABS pump with Bosch electric motor
ABS aluminum housing that has the valving in place
ABS/DSC module (black looking piece)

When BMW replaces the part it is this entire assembly and the early 3/2007 models to I think 8-9/2007 there is one part then from then on it is a different part number. MM can repair the later models.

Typically and I say this because I am not aware of any posted failures that were different it is the Bosch DC 2 brush electric motor that has a sticking brush that throws the code. Bosch in their design updated this part in 2006 with an improved model one that doesn't require purging the ABS module since they removed solenoids. While doing this the brushes which are graphite gum up their holders allowing typically just one brush to make contact. This is what throws the code.

This is what MM repairs. I replaced mine with a new unit from BMW of Minn for $962 shipped and then discovered after more research this problem. I removed the Bosch motor cut the openings to allow the can to be separated from the motor and cleaned the brushes and reassembled the unit. Cost was just my time and some electrical tape. I now have a spare should the unit I have do this again.

I am NOT saying this is your problem but I am saying that this is the only failure I have seen on these units for the 2007-8 models. You can remove the ABS/DSC plastic module and not require programming just code clearing if you do this yourself.

There is an excellent write up on this should you want to educate yourself or not go to the dealer. I will try and find it and post it.

Found it
Hope this helps
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=600491
Appreciate 0