2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

2010 2011 BMW 5 Series Forum F10 BMW 5-Series (F10) Forums General 5-Series Sedan and Wagon (F10 / F11) Forum Valentine One Concealed Display Mounted on Dash

03-19-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Acadia550i
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 550xi M-Sport

Valentine One Concealed Display Mounted on Dash

I have a 2011 550xi with M Sport.

I am planning to install a Valentine One Concealed Display unit on the dash (photo attached). Has anyone mounted the V1 concealed display on a 2011 F10? If so, are you happy with the install? Do you have any photos that you can share?

I am also interested in where you mounted the V1 unit, itself.

Thanks in advance for your input.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 09:42 AM   #2
LACSTER
Major General
Rep
Drives: Hybrid

Alekshop is a vendor on the forum and has this. I copied this info from another thread.

It's time to hide your expensive radar unit and get clean, stealth, OEM look Make your car look unique and protect your investment !

We offer custom build OEM BMW Rear View mirrors with integrated Valentine One radar units.

Each mirror comes with the "Mute" button, Light sensor, and all needed hardware to get it installed.

The price is $550+ shipping to modify the rear view mirror and headrest (V1 main unit, V1 concealed display, rear view mirror, rear headrest - not included) .

To make things more convenient for you, we can offer a spare rear view mirror for the time your mirror is being modified.

Mirror with no Homelink / no Compass

Mirror with Homelink / with the Compass

Please contact us if you have any questions

Thank you,
Aleks.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2024 G80 Comp xDrive

I have this very question myself...and no, I don't want to pay $500 for the mirror, sorry.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2011, 04:29 PM   #4
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by LACSTER View Post
Alekshop is a vendor on the forum and has this. I copied this info from another thread.
Do you have one LACSTER? I had one of these done for my NSX a few years ago - I'm sure it wasn't from Alekshop but from someone else who did a lot of Corvettes. I had to throw away the mirror and get a new one. The mirror got a foggy quality to it at night and the dimming function (manual) did not work anymore - the arrows looked nice all lit up at night but it simply ruined the mirror. Also, there is nothing concealed about this approach since the red lights shine very bright at night and any cop around you will see it in no time.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 06:41 AM   #5
fx104elec
Registered
Rep
Drives: Smart

V1BlueShark is better than Remote concealed display

V1BlueSahrk is a device connected with V1 and send its alarms and data to mobile phone.
make automatic mute in door openers, save radar positions if u have gps in your mobile, so u can display the places of all radars in excel file include X,Y coordinates and time stamps.

check xxx.v1blueshark.20m.com for more details.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2011, 10:04 AM   #6
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

I have my V1 up to the right of the mirror. The concealed display rests at the base of the windshield where it meets the A Pillar. Plenty of good line of sight there, and cannot be seen from behind. My only issue is that when I lived up North, the inspection / registration sticker would block the display and it was completely invisible from the outside. Now that I live in VA, we have this stupid central display which means you can see the display from the street. However, it's the same color as the dash so it's really unobtrusive.

I will try to take a couple of pictures later.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 12:16 PM   #7
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

How do you guys rely on these things? Back in the early days when every police force was using radar (before KA band), I could see the benefit on the highway. Now with the proliferation of laser units, you don't really have much defence. In my jurisdiction they are illegal, so if you get hit with laser, you have that natural reaction to lift off the gas and/or hit the brakes, attracting a ticket for speeding, ticket for possession of the detector and the cop tearing your stealth installation out, with the car damage being an additional expense for you.

Anyone else take this view?
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2011, 12:50 PM   #8
crmgr
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 535XI M-Sport

Laser is used a lot by state troopers and local police on the highways here in Ohio, mostly during daylight hours. Don't see them using laser often in the winter because they need at least an open window. Granted a laser will get you before you can react, but at least it gives me some edge. Also reason why I try not to run lead in the high speed lane.

Radar is still number one however, on highways and side streets. My V1 has saved me from a few tickets, especially in cases where police like to keep it on all the time and pick up speeders heading towards them. The arrows are a real plus in telling me the direction of the signal. I never leave home without my V1..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #9
Grover432
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2013 535 XDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by crmgr View Post
Laser is used a lot by state troopers and local police on the highways here in Ohio, mostly during daylight hours. Don't see them using laser often in the winter because they need at least an open window. Granted a laser will get you before you can react, but at least it gives me some edge. Also reason why I try not to run lead in the high speed lane.

Radar is still number one however, on highways and side streets. My V1 has saved me from a few tickets, especially in cases where police like to keep it on all the time and pick up speeders heading towards them. The arrows are a real plus in telling me the direction of the signal. I never leave home without my V1..
"Granted a laser will get you before you can react, but at least it gives me some edge"

That is my question: What edge? back in the day of radar (before laser was introduced) I had a detector that caught microwaves bouncing off everything ahead of me. Unless I was the lead car on the flat prairie, I could speed to my heart's content and never get caught. Nowadays, laser is used along with radar, but I never know when I'll encounter which one, so I don't feel like I have any edge. I feel like I have a false sense of security.

I guess the "edge" comes with the thinking that if you are going to routinely speed, you might get saved from some tickets, which are considered the cost of doing business.

In my jurisdiction, a couple of speeding tickets can put insurance costs through the roof, so unless I get stealth protection. my edge comes from knowing where to speed as opposed to relying on a detector to save me some of the time.

Maybe I'm missing something though.
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2011, 02:16 PM   #10
1HOT BMR
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Car-less and shopping +'12 35d

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grover432 View Post
How do you guys rely on these things?
Yesterday I was returning from Ely, Nevada and my trusty V1 saved me again. Hwy 50 is completely deserted in that part of the State with long stretches where you can see the road for several miles ahead of you so it's easy to push the speed a little higher. The Nevada HP was riding his blue truck at about 60 on a 70 max section of the road and I was doing about 85 catching up with him. He had the instant-on old type of radar and I "heard" him when he shot a truck coming in the opposite direction = no ticket for me. The same works with Lidar since I'm made aware when other cars around me get shot. There are many police departments all over the US who are still using the old technology and the freeways here in CA are so crowded that plenty of guys get shot before I reach the Lidar gun of the officer standing by the side of the road: it works fine for me
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2011, 09:16 AM   #11
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

@OP, do you have a V1 now and are looking on where to install it or are you looking to install one discreetly before you buy one?

If you don't have one yet, I hope you don't have lane assist or blind spot detection. One of those two tech pieces set my V1 to constant alert, making it unusable on my F10.
      11-01-2011, 04:29 PM   #12
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

How do you get around this constant alert problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by E60orBust View Post
@OP, do you have a V1 now and are looking on where to install it or are you looking to install one discreetly before you buy one?

If you don't have one yet, I hope you don't have lane assist or blind spot detection. One of those two tech pieces set my V1 to constant alert, making it unusable on my F10.
Is V1 working on this issue, is BMW working on it or does another detector already deal with the problem and thus is a viable option.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 07:21 AM   #13
mcjoe691
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddR View Post
Is V1 working on this issue, is BMW working on it or does another detector already deal with the problem and thus is a viable option.
I also have been waiting for someone to come up with something. V1 is a great radar have it on my Porsche and has saved me lots of tickets. I just cant take the ALERT every 2 sec on the F10....I 2 have lane departure if i would have known this would have not opted for this feature i never use it anyways!
      11-02-2011, 04:49 PM   #14
535MSport
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 MSport 535- on the way

Can you disable or have lane depart disabled?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fst996tt View Post
I also have been waiting for someone to come up with something. V1 is a great radar have it on my Porsche and has saved me lots of tickets. I just cant take the ALERT every 2 sec on the F10....I 2 have lane departure if i would have known this would have not opted for this feature i never use it anyways!
Can you disable or have lane depart disabled?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2011, 05:08 PM   #15
ausfahrt
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2001 325i Touring

V1 has an upgrade available. Put in your 10 digit serial number. http://www.valentine1.com/Upgrade/ I believe it's 189.00 for the upgrade. If you put in your serial number it will tell you what the upgrade is. But I don't know if it addresses the lane assist or blind spot issue. I will be sending mine after this weekend. I need the V1 for a 4 hour drive so I cant send it any sooner.

Last edited by ausfahrt; 11-02-2011 at 05:24 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 07:35 AM   #16
Needsdecaf
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ausfahrt View Post
V1 has an upgrade available. Put in your 10 digit serial number. http://www.valentine1.com/Upgrade/ I believe it's 189.00 for the upgrade. If you put in your serial number it will tell you what the upgrade is. But I don't know if it addresses the lane assist or blind spot issue. I will be sending mine after this weekend. I need the V1 for a 4 hour drive so I cant send it any sooner.
Upgrade will not help with BSW radar. (By the way, Lane Departure uses a camera mounted on the back of the mirror assembly, no radar used there). I checked into this already. I forget what band it is, but you have to disable it.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #17
E60orBust
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: "The Brothers //M-Sport" E90/2

Maybe its Blind spot detection then? The only option my 5'er doesn't have is HUD and I just know when I'm moving the cars around the driveway, the 3'er (with the V1) always says there is cop right behind if the 5'er is running.

I've also had false pops on the freeway when I see a new 7'series or one of those Audi's in my proximity. Can be a bit nerve-racking to keep scanning the field trying to see the unmarked only to realize its a false positive.