F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Car hit during dealer test drive
ARMA SPEED

06-25-2014, 08:45 PM   #23
AZ135i
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i M Sport

The dealer isn't at fault. I'm getting nothin from them. The other driver hit them. I'll get what I can from their insurance.
Appreciate 0
      06-26-2014, 10:04 AM   #24
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

The car was at the dealer when it was hit? If so, the dealer should be on the hook for repairs, how they settle with the person who hit it is their issue.

Whatever else you take away from this, it's time for a new dealer.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 01:32 PM   #25
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
The car was at the dealer when it was hit? If so, the dealer should be on the hook for repairs, how they settle with the person who hit it is their issue.

Whatever else you take away from this, it's time for a new dealer.
Really? Time for a new dealer because somebody else was at fault for an accident? Are you dense? The dealership will fix it and if you want any diminished value you get they from the at fault persons insurance. But ya, go into the dealership screaming and demand his first born
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 02:11 PM   #26
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Classy. Maybe you should reread the part where his dealer told him to handle it through the insurance of the person who hit the car when their tech was driving it? They're not handling the repairs, which is unacceptable.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2014, 11:06 PM   #27
Whipple
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M6 Gran Coupe

The dealer has to fix it for you without going through insurance! if they do there messing with the value of your car,you don't want it to show on a car fax ,the damage looked minimal ,even if it wasn't the guys fault who was driving it,they should use less congested roads when test driving someone else's car,that s*it would not fly with me! The body shops they use will probably fix that for free!What ever you chose good luck!
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 07:33 AM   #28
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

Quote:
Classy. Maybe you should reread the part where his dealer told him to handle it through the insurance of the person who hit the car when their tech was driving it? They're not handling the repairs, which is unacceptable.
This is a direct quote from the OP on the first page

"Spoke with the dealer today. They said they are fixing the car at a certified bmw body shop. Any compensation will be collected from the other drivers insurance since they were at fault."

The dealership is taking care of the repairs but they're not compensation for diminished value; because it's not their fault
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:01 AM   #29
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omaralt
Quote:
This is a direct quote from the OP on the first page

"Spoke with the dealer today. They said they are fixing the car at a certified bmw body shop. Any compensation will be collected from the other drivers insurance since they were at fault."

The dealership is taking care of the repairs but they're not compensation for diminished value; because it's not their fault
My mistake, I misinterpreted the quote on this page about the dealer not providing anything as an update, not simply a statement on diminished value.

Carry on, sounds like the dealer handles this fairly, it's up to OP's insurance coverage, or a claim against the driver at fault to cover diminished value.
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2014, 10:28 AM   #30
E30_335i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

This, is always my worst nightmare. Even worse, when its damage that you don't notice till you get home, and you know the dealership was responsible.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2014, 11:43 PM   #31
pick333
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW series 1 135i

After I left my 135i at the dealer, it had brake dust all over the back end, like I'd never seen before.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2014, 05:43 AM   #32
CedarZ4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G05 M50i, Tesla M3P

Not directly related to OP but I had my then few months old Merc rear ended a year ago. Was nothing more than a few dents on bumper itself, but now trying to trade the car in and having an accident report drops my trade-in value by 3-4 grand off the bat during appraisal. I was afraid of this at the time and did try to get a diminished value claim, but frankly it was a lot more hassle than it was worth. Have done research (although never actually got a lawyer) but I wouldn't have gotten probably more than a grand back, before lawyer and other fees. That and the headache of trying to prove that your value was actually diminished - not such an easy task. In the end, it really sucks but I think it is something that the OP might just have to live with - Unless he really wants to pursue the diminished value claim, which for me at the time was just not worth my frustration and time.

One more comment on Carfax. Many people are telling OP to have the garage not report the repair. I was under the impression the insurance company reports it once a claim is filed and they pay for it, not the garage itself. Can someone clarify this? I always thought that the only way to avoid a Carfax report was to not go through the insurance company all together, in which case OP would have to get his dealer to write him a check directly, something that I doubt the dealer would do due to potential legal issues in the future.
Appreciate 0
      07-07-2014, 10:46 PM   #33
gilgan23
Rep
Drives: F10

wish you luck man
Appreciate 0