F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Factory free-maintence No Longer Transferable
Studio RSR

06-21-2014, 07:26 PM   #23
Petros
Banned
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3-S65 View Post
I am going to leave this equation open for the future...

New M = uglier + horrible sound+ crapped on maintenance program+ ?

1. Maybe since they had no excuse for the bearing failures on our generation M cars they want to leave the option to blame (whatever problems the new version has) on lack of maintenance...of used car purchasers....?
2. Maybe they think this will increase new car sales... here is who they are catering to:
Hmm, I better go run out and buy a new BMW at MSRP + because if I don't I wont get the maintenance program which changes my oil each year...that's definitely worth the 15k that I will lose when I resell it.
Not to mention they also get to increase their profits off the back of 2nd hand owners when they go to the stealerships and pay for maintenance. Don't forget the original owner had already paid for this maintenance before hand since the cost is incoporated in the new car's price. So instead of BMW paying the stealerships this money, the 2nd hand owner does and BMW keeps the money as pure profit
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 09:02 PM   #24
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

this makes pretty reasonable sense to me assuming that the factory maintenance is still available with the CPO cars while inside the original warranty period.

makes CPO cars worth more and private sale cars worth less which encourages trading your car back in at the dealer towards another one
      06-21-2014, 10:14 PM   #25
MrPrena
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW Hyundai Nissan

There is a substitute.

I am not a manufacturer loyalist. I will just buy a different vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 11:11 PM   #26
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx
this makes pretty reasonable sense to me assuming that the factory maintenance is still available with the CPO cars while inside the original warranty period.

makes CPO cars worth more and private sale cars worth less which encourages trading your car back in at the dealer towards another one
Given that the wording quoted by the OP says "exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser...", I think it's pretty clear that the factory maintenance plan does not remain available to CPO buyers....

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 11:24 PM   #27
TrevorM3
Banned
Rep
Drives: 6.3 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post

And who do you think comes out on top of that deal, sherlock?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 11:30 PM   #28
bing240sx
Captain
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C /// E90 M3 ESS-VT2

the unwritten isn't the unknown.
      06-22-2014, 12:50 AM   #29
PhillyNate
ENTHUSIAST
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 Porsche Cayman

Garage List
SMH...when will BMW learn. I guess profit over EVERYTHING else.
2011 Alpine White BMW M3 6mt ZCP Coupe(forced retirement 06/06/14)
2008 Alpine White BMW 328i 6mt Coupe(retired 06/21/11
)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:07 AM   #30
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrPrena View Post
There is a substitute.

I am not a manufacturer loyalist. I will just buy a different vehicle.
Then do so, please. I'm surprised BMW still offers it anyway.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:08 AM   #31
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Given that the wording quoted by the OP says "exclusive benefit of the initial purchaser...", I think it's pretty clear that the factory maintenance plan does not remain available to CPO buyers....
From a business perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if BMW increased the cost oof CPO cars and used that as a selling point to move them (and charge more)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:12 AM   #32
335AZ
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrevorM3
Quote:
Originally Posted by bing240sx View Post

And who do you think comes out on top of that deal, sherlock?
Lol 😂😂
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 02:30 AM   #33
jphughan
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 Cayman GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
From a business perspective, I wouldn't be surprised if BMW increased the cost oof CPO cars and used that as a selling point to move them (and charge more)
They might do that in the future, but that definitely isn't what they're doing initially. Of course if they do as you're suggesting in the future, the announcement will be phrased something like, "Because BMW values its CPO customers so much, we are now allowing Ultimate Service to carry over exclusively to CPO cars...." They just need to wait long enough for a large chunk of the market to forget that it USED to transfer to ALL used cars, so they'll instead see this as a perk rather than a restitution.

Gone but not forgotten:
'11.75 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT (owned 5/2011 - 11/2015)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 09:15 AM   #34
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by jc05e46m3 View Post
They might do that in the future, but that definitely isn't what they're doing initially. Of course if they do as you're suggesting in the future, the announcement will be phrased something like, "Because BMW values its CPO customers so much, we are now allowing Ultimate Service to carry over exclusively to CPO cars...." They just need to wait long enough for a large chunk of the market to forget that it USED to transfer to ALL used cars, so they'll instead see this as a perk rather than a restitution.
Oh of course. I could see this happening in the next 2-3 years.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 10:07 AM   #35
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

It would probably be a good rule of thumb then, that if you can't afford maintenance, you shouldn't buy the car. But maybe that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 11:32 AM   #36
Candide13
Captain
Rep
Drives: '11 E90 M3 ZCP 6MT AW/FR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Never Convicted View Post
It would probably be a good rule of thumb then, that if you can't afford maintenance, you shouldn't buy the car. But maybe that's just me.
Of course that is true, but it is also true that if you are in the market for much more car than you really need (ie all of us), then it helps thinking about your car manufacturer as somehow a partner in your slightly spoiled dream hobby.

The warranty and maintenance package as well as the European delivery discount go a long way sweetening the package and making the customer feel special.

So, as an enthusiast customer, who likes being nickeled and dimed by BMW?
If I wanted to have a cost-efficient car I'd go elsewhere anyway.

I am just disappointed; what a needless dick move.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 01:33 PM   #37
Never Convicted
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candide13 View Post
Of course that is true, but it is also true that if you are in the market for much more car than you really need (ie all of us), then it helps thinking about your car manufacturer as somehow a partner in your slightly spoiled dream hobby.

The warranty and maintenance package as well as the European delivery discount go a long way sweetening the package and making the customer feel special.

So, as an enthusiast customer, who likes being nickeled and dimed by BMW?
If I wanted to have a cost-efficient car I'd go elsewhere anyway.

I am just disappointed; what a needless dick move.
Warranty is not affected. ED is not affected. Maintenance is not affected for original buyer. It's the best plan in the business. Going by your logic, Porsche, Mercedes, Audi, Jag, Land Rover, all nickel and dime their customers far worse. Suck it up. It's not that big a deal.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:12 PM   #38
Chihuahua
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E30 329iS, E65 Alpina B7

As others have said, I don't see this as being much of a big deal. I bought a brand new MINI in '04, and all I got out of it was two free oil changes. Unfortunately, it shines an even bigger light on what Norbert Reithofer's #1 focus is right now, and it is cost savings. Platform sharing, BMW-badged MINIs (2 ActiveTourer), axing the free services, the list goes on. Excellence in engineering has been replaced by greed. This guy is single handedly destroying BMW in my opinion. He's a german Rick Wagoner.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:50 PM   #39
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Not a big deal - Audi, for as much of a shit brand that it is, is doing something similar and they are doing fine (sadly)
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2014, 04:52 PM   #40
Taskmaster
Banned
Japan
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT / E92 328 Msport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
As others have said, I don't see this as being much of a big deal. I bought a brand new MINI in '04, and all I got out of it was two free oil changes. Unfortunately, it shines an even bigger light on what Norbert Reithofer's #1 focus is right now, and it is cost savings. Platform sharing, BMW-badged MINIs (2 ActiveTourer), axing the free services, the list goes on. Excellence in engineering has been replaced by greed. This guy is single handedly destroying BMW in my opinion. He's a german Rick Wagoner.
Speak with your dollars - but so far it seems to be working. In the long term, I don't think that will be the case.

Look at what happened to Honda.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:25 AM   #41
P1
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2004 3/4 ton Duramax

As shit as this might be, I doubt they'll see a huge number of people dumping BMW just because of this move.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 11:33 AM   #42
M3-S65
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheAxiom View Post
Not a big deal - Audi, for as much of a shit brand that it is, is doing something similar and they are doing fine (sadly)
Just the accountants finding a way to keep the corporate heads paychecks increasing at the expense of the consumer...
Couple things...

1. The way it is now BMW is stuck if you have problems with your car and you followed their maintenance program. It is logged into their computer and they have to honor their warranty unless you obviously modded it. BMW cannot possibly argue that the engine or transmission crapped out due to you not maintaining it. The new program gives them a gray area which they want, it forces the used car buyer to keep all records and creates a gray area for BMW to argue that it was done incorrectly or not even done.

2. It's a downgrade, BMW has been known for the free maintenance forever. Downgrades make consumers consider other options....glad I am not part of the New M downgrades. I am also glad I still have the upgraded high revving V8, and a manly exhaust note...I love it...all this is going to make our Ms hold their value...

Last edited by M3-S65; 06-23-2014 at 11:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:02 PM   #43
E9TOU
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E92 335i

Garage List
BMW has lots of cost cutting plans in the works and this looks to be the beginning of them. Such a shame, the resale value of their cars will go down by a lot! I would not have purchased my car (used) if it weren't for the 2 years remaining on the maintenance program along with the CPO.

BMW is going down a slippery path. This might save them some money in the short term, but will surely affect them in the long run.
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 12:38 PM   #44
bimmerbuff
Slightly Less Obsessed
United_States
Rep
Drives: Between BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle B View Post
Doesn't he have to retire in two years at age 60 or did they change that rule? He's 58 now, been running the place for eight years since taking over from Panke in 2006.
Appreciate 0