F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Bmw needs to go back to
ARMA SPEED

07-21-2010, 03:26 PM   #1
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 325i and '13 X5

Bmw needs to go back to

more simpler times. Key in the ignition, trans and oil dipsticks, and no other electronics, something like windows 7, which is an unbloated vista.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:35 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Windows 7 is still Vista, just running more smoothly. If you want unbloated, you need to go back to WinXP
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
blk335i08
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i e92

Don't buy a new BMW??
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:38 PM   #4
JuppiOne
Captain
Rep
Drives: everyone crazy

personally, I like having no dipstick and let the sensors do their work, why going old school instead pf embracing the new technologies
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #5
ZneeK
vrooommm
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW E92 335i

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
I say: let um put more stuff in... i like gizmos, gadgets and sh*t
      07-21-2010, 03:53 PM   #6
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I started this thread because so many people posts problems with their cars and alot of it has to do with the electronics. The e46 has 1,000 less things that can go wrong with it. I still love the car.
If no codes are being thrown use Chevron Techron fuel injector cleaner (concentrate). It solves rpm fluctuating upon cold start-up. Also, for most BMW problems start off by scanning your car with the Peake Research Tool. It contains the actual BMW codes. If you want to register a newly installed battery for free (just buy a $10 cable) and google/download BMWLogger
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:54 PM   #7
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Windows 7 is still Vista, just running more smoothly.
I'll take that too!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:55 PM   #8
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriztofor View Post
Wow tough crowd, yeah, the other threads are much better: "Did mommy buy the car for you" "Right to remain silent" "Driving songs" "Do you glance back at your car"

I started this thread because so many people posts problems with their cars and alot of it has to do with the electronics. The e46 has 1,000 less things that can go wrong with it. I still love the car.
i definitely prefer a dipstick!!!!! i dont trust a cheap sensor for monitoring the most important thing for the engine!

trans dipstick is needed too since bmw has faulty auto transmission pan gaskets.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 04:51 PM   #9
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

^They have sensors for tire pressure which you can tell if they are low by looking at it, but then no sensor or dipstick for the transmission? Not only can the pan leak how about the hoses? It doesn't even have to leak a lot, just a little drip every other day.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:06 PM   #10
bimmernoob
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i 6MT

Quote:
more simpler times. Key in the ignition, trans and oil dipsticks, and no other electronics, something like windows 7, which is an unbloated vista.
^
+1

You are not alone... i rather they invest the extra cost on the car on performance related items. sometimes i can't help but think they made all these "enhancements" just so that people will be required to take their cars to the dealership anytime something isn't working properly, and charging an arm and a leg while they are at it.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:18 PM   #11
ShopVac
Not willing to take advice
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F82 M4 - 6MT

Garage List
I don't mind having an 'in car check' for the oil, actually like it...but give me a damn dip stick to check whenever it says my oil is low and I know it was fine the previous day.
      07-21-2010, 05:46 PM   #12
JBE9006
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 330i/JB/Prem/Sport/STEP

Spare tires?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 05:49 PM   #13
TheRox
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 6mt

Quote:
That would increase reliability

I like how there is no air suspension and what not too
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:03 PM   #14
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Fabric sunroof, one door...

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 06:22 PM   #15
The HACK
Midlife Crises Racing Silent but Deadly Class
Rep
Drives: 2006 MZ4C, 2021 Tesla Model 3

BMW has two types of customers. Buyers who wants a sports car, and any luxury on top is just cherry. And buyers who wants a luxury car, and any sports on top is just cherry.

They are the two opposing forces at work here. On one hand, the Sporty buyers are the vocal buyers. The influencers. The elitist who all think what they want should be what everyone else gets. They're the type to write to BMW NA in a mass email campaign threatening to boycott BMW if they don't bring the E36 M3 over. They're the ones that tell all their friends and families that they must buy BMWs regardless of their situation and need.

However they're the MINORITY. There's probably one sporty buyer for every 10 luxury buyers out there. And BMW knows it. So what do you do, when the VAST majority of your customer base probably don't know what an apex is from a hole in the ground? Simple. You build cars that are bigger, heavier, more luxurious, but with better engine and more technology crammed into the suspension and chassis than anyone has a right to shake a stick at. That way, the sporty buyers are happy that they get a car that handles like no other sedan does, while the luxury buyers get a car with dual comfort climate control that massages your back and shakes your d*ck when you pee.

But that formula is not sustainable. With every feature added, and every inch increased and every pound heavier, it takes double the amount of horse power and suspension wizardry to keep the same "performance." So what do you do, again, if you're BMW? Well, formula is simple. You build bigger, faster, and more luxurious cars with more features, and come up with this "magical" entry level 1 series that weighs 200 lbs more than the last generation 3 series and call it the "sportier, lighter" alternative.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked as well to BMW's advantage. And the last lightweight, sporty BMW built, BMW sold all but 1,700 units in 3 years, with a $10,000 incentive on top. They just couldn't give it away. So what does that say about BMW's customers again?

So for those of you who wish BMW would go back to the "golden" age of building what made BMWs BMWs, those days are long gone. You're better off buying a Porsche. Or a Subaru if you need more practicality. Because BMW stopped building BMWs long time ago. They're now intent on building Lexuses that sort of drive like BMWs.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 07:05 PM   #16
PINeely
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 535i, 2015 Tundra 1794

Give me a dipstick. The nice push button starter, electronics, TPMS, Idrive screen, etc. Well, I guess I'll find a way to survive with them.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 08:52 PM   #17
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmernoob View Post
^
+1

You are not alone... i rather they invest the extra cost on the car on performance related items. sometimes i can't help but think they made all these "enhancements" just so that people will be required to take their cars to the dealership anytime something isn't working properly, and charging an arm and a leg while they are at it.
+2 who would complain if they eliminated some useless tire sensors and electronic compass and instead increased HP or better suspension?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShopVac View Post
I don't mind having an 'in car check' for the oil, actually like it...but give me a damn dip stick to check whenever it says my oil is low and I know it was fine the previous day.
Ha, exactly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBE9006 View Post
Spare tires?
Yeah, eliminate a spare tire...great move.....i feel safe taking long trips.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRox View Post
That would increase reliability

I like how there is no air suspension and what not too
Ha, wait until next year! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Fabric sunroof, one door...

If it was a bmw I would buy it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
BMW has two types of customers. Buyers who wants a sports car, and any luxury on top is just cherry. And buyers who wants a luxury car, and any sports on top is just cherry.

They are the two opposing forces at work here. On one hand, the Sporty buyers are the vocal buyers. The influencers. The elitist who all think what they want should be what everyone else gets. They're the type to write to BMW NA in a mass email campaign threatening to boycott BMW if they don't bring the E36 M3 over. They're the ones that tell all their friends and families that they must buy BMWs regardless of their situation and need.

However they're the MINORITY. There's probably one sporty buyer for every 10 luxury buyers out there. And BMW knows it. So what do you do, when the VAST majority of your customer base probably don't know what an apex is from a hole in the ground? Simple. You build cars that are bigger, heavier, more luxurious, but with better engine and more technology crammed into the suspension and chassis than anyone has a right to shake a stick at. That way, the sporty buyers are happy that they get a car that handles like no other sedan does, while the luxury buyers get a car with dual comfort climate control that massages your back and shakes your d*ck when you pee.

But that formula is not sustainable. With every feature added, and every inch increased and every pound heavier, it takes double the amount of horse power and suspension wizardry to keep the same "performance." So what do you do, again, if you're BMW? Well, formula is simple. You build bigger, faster, and more luxurious cars with more features, and come up with this "magical" entry level 1 series that weighs 200 lbs more than the last generation 3 series and call it the "sportier, lighter" alternative.

Unfortunately that hasn't worked as well to BMW's advantage. And the last lightweight, sporty BMW built, BMW sold all but 1,700 units in 3 years, with a $10,000 incentive on top. They just couldn't give it away. So what does that say about BMW's customers again?

So for those of you who wish BMW would go back to the "golden" age of building what made BMWs BMWs, those days are long gone. You're better off buying a Porsche. Or a Subaru if you need more practicality. Because BMW stopped building BMWs long time ago. They're now intent on building Lexuses that sort of drive like BMWs.
Nice analysis, too bad all the car mags keep on buying into the BMW cool-aid and not calling them out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PINeely View Post
Give me a dipstick. The nice push button starter, electronics, TPMS, Idrive screen, etc. Well, I guess I'll find a way to survive with them.
Believe me, you won't even miss them.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:34 PM   #18
msimon18
Retired
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4 s30i

Garage List
I had opne of those ! Isetta 300 - door in front... could barely make it up a hill !!! What fun we had. And, oh yes, it was made by BMW !!!

M3 GTR - 1/5 scale - 4.2 HP w/ Collari hydraulic brakes - would you believe ~80 MPH on straightaway !!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 10:44 PM   #19
Majikthese42
Philosopher-king
Rep
Drives: 2008 E91

Quote:

If it was a bmw I would buy it!
Yup -- the Isetta IS a BMW! First BMW I ever sat in.

I think I was 5 or 6 at the time.

E91 6MT Alpine, Terra, Xenons, ZSP, ZCW, ZPP, PDC, CA, alarm, M shifter and M brake handle, Euro rear fog light switch, Euro aspheric mirrors, rear power outlets, Garmin nüvi custom cupholder mount, Lidatek, V-1 built-in remote display, tire pump, jack, floor mats.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:15 PM   #20
mtla4
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Turbo Festiva

Quote:
Originally Posted by The HACK View Post
+1....My 1er (which is gone by the way) and the M3 are the only modern Bmw that I care for. Otherwise I wouldn't even look at Bmw. I dont care about the X5 , 5 series, etc...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severious View Post
Its because a lot of BMW owners are housewives or business professionals and know little about cars other than BMW's are a status symbol in their own circles so that have to have one. But exotic car owners know cars, that's why they are willing to spend for a killer car and they know something different when they see one.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 11:17 PM   #21
Chriztofor
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majikthese42 View Post
Yup -- the Isetta IS a BMW! First BMW I ever sat in.

I think I was 5 or 6 at the time.

Nice!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:17 AM   #22
ronster
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2011 1M VO

I don't trust the sensor either... I had a MINI Cooper before and the oil light never came on even the oil level was down to less than half... The MINI had a dipstick... I know I was lazy and I never checked because I never had a car which burnt oil before... There was one time I heard some funny noise from the engine and took it to dealer and they topped up 2.5L of oil... The guy asked me how long did I wait after the light was on and I told him the light never came on... from that time on, I checked the dipstick every once in awhile...
Appreciate 0