Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Mismatched Offsets

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-05-2012, 08:19 AM   #1
crely
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Mismatched Offsets

Hello,

I am in a bit of a quandary. I have gunmetal Forgestar F14 wheels on my 2007 BMW 335i and recently got a flat on the right rear (19x10 275/30/19 tire). I needed new tires anyway so I went ahead and ordered two new Hankook Ventus V12s for the rears. When they removed the old tires and inspected the rim, they found a ¾” crack on the inside lip of the rim where the tire sits against the metal. I called several rim repair shops and most recommended that I do not try to repair the rim and just buy a new one. I live in Baltimore city and 90% of my driving is 80 mph around rt. 495 so my rims unfortunately take a beating and I need an uncompromised wheel. Here’s the issue... I bought the car with these wheels on it and since they are Forgestars, they were ordered with a custom offset. I’ve tried measuring the offset but I simply do not trust my measurements to be accurate within a millimeter margin of error. I’ve talked to tires shops, **********s, and the previous owner of the car to figure out what offset my cracked wheel is. I’ve been able to determine that the offset is between 33et and 38et. Here’s my question. If my left and right rear wheels have a different offset by a maximum of 6mm, is that going to cause adverse affects on handling or suspension durability? Also, it’ll take 6 weeks for me to get this rim after it’s ordered and I’m driving a minivan until the car is drivable. That hurts. The rims are $430 a piece so I’d like to avoid buying two if I can get away with just ordering one replacement. Thank you in advance and please let me know what you all think.

-Chris
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 09:12 AM   #2
PSUSMU
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2008 Porsche 911 Carrera S

Call Forgestar and give them the serial #s. Do it once, do it right.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 01:09 PM   #3
crely
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

Good advice. I called Forgestar and they said that the rim should be repairable. Although even the rim repair places say it'd be best to order a new rim. Forgestar also said that the serial number is printed on the outside of the wheel barrel where the tire in coving it. If I take the tire off I should be able to send them the serial number and get the offset.

Now my question is whether to but a new one or have confidence in what the Forgestar guy said and try to repair it.
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2012, 08:06 PM   #4
VMRWheels
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]
Call the previous owner and ask him to search his email inbox for the invoice number. Forgestar can pull up his order in their system and they'll have all the info they need. Full name, street address, phone number, invoice number may all work depending on the system they use.
      09-06-2012, 04:18 PM   #5
mattt555
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: e90 330d

plenty of wheels get welded, worth a shot, if it cracks again get a new one, dont weld it twice. plus take the tyre off and look at serial number then ask.
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2012, 06:35 PM   #6
3002 tii
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: Z4 M, X5, GX460

Garage List
OP, sorry to hear about your situation. It's not the first time I've heard about Foregestar wheels crapping out, whether its the clearcoat finish or easily bending. Given a 6mm difference, I would think running a 5mm spacer on the higher side which would be close enough.