Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > help with spacers, wheel setup fitment

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

07-21-2010, 11:55 AM   #1
rayguy24
the mod bug is crawling in my brain
United_States
Rep
Drives: e90 tiag aka "luna"

help with spacers, wheel setup fitment

I just got some new 3pc forged wheels, with the following specs:

(F) 19x9 et 36
(R) 19x10 et 38

These are going on an E90 pre-lci sedan non-sport suspension. This is the current planned route I will be taking:

Tires:
Continental ExtremeContact DW (going for the ride/noise control over handling since I have a newborn on the way . Not planning to track the car at all).
front tires - 235/35/19 (per tirerack: sect width-9.5", tread width-8")
rear tires - 265/30/19 (per tirerack: sect width-10.7", tread width-9.5")

Suspension:
Eibach Pro-kit OR H&R Sports (help me choose, given my comfort over sport approach)
Koni FSD's

Here are my questions:
-With the planned tires mounted on the wheels, how flush (or tucked) will this setup be? I want to be as flush as I can be for a daily driver without running into clearance issues and I plan on rolling the fenders to allow for more room.

-If I were to throw some spacers on, whats the max I can go in the front and rears without rubbing after drop on said tire specs and fender roll?

Any input is greatly appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:09 PM   #2
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Your going to sit at a manageable level, and spacers wouldnt be needed for you. With your height overly flush wheels might look odd.

Since your going for comfort - do the Eibach springs they are linear and offer a smoother ride.

if your planning on rolling fenders you can do a 10mm rear spacer if you find that the 'Pop' isnt enough for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 12:49 PM   #3
rayguy24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craven 328 View Post
Your going to sit at a manageable level, and spacers wouldnt be needed for you. With your height overly flush wheels might look odd.

Since your going for comfort - do the Eibach springs they are linear and offer a smoother ride.

if your planning on rolling fenders you can do a 10mm rear spacer if you find that the 'Pop' isnt enough for you.
Thats what I was thinking as well. I guess I'll have to see how it looks first before deciding to throw on some spacers.

Does anyone have any experience with the Conti DW in the planned specs?
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:15 PM   #4
02themax
Captain
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

5mm spacers in front, 10mm in the rear with a mild fender roll. Conti Extreme DW will surprise you they are a very good tire!

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 02:41 PM   #5
david @ eas
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Personally I think you would be good without spacers, but if anything maybe like a 3 or a 5mm spacer at most.

Put those wheels on first, then measure it up to see if you can even put some on there.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:30 PM   #6
rayguy24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Craven, I noticed that your on the Sportline springs. Are they linear as well. I know many protest going this route, but I'm planning on starting with springs only first. Once the stock shocks blow, then I will be replacing them. My brother-in-law has a shop so I'm not worried about the extra costs of installs or anything. Would the sportlines on stock shocks be a smooth ride? And lastly, should I forget about the sportlines and go with pro rides since I'm planning on having passengers in the back consistently?

Thanks all for the input!
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:33 PM   #7
rayguy24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02themax View Post
5mm spacers in front, 10mm in the rear with a mild fender roll. Conti Extreme DW will surprise you they are a very good tire!
I'm truly hoping so. Do you have the DWs?

I know the gap is gonna bug the hell out of me once I get the set up on, so I'm taking my chance on the drop and hoping the Conti DW will smoothen out the roads. But I want to avoid killing the comfort and hearing my wife complain
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:39 PM   #8
Gavin@MMW
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: MMW Supercharged E90 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayguy24 View Post
Craven, I noticed that your on the Sportline springs. Are they linear as well. I know many protest going this route, but I'm planning on starting with springs only first. Once the stock shocks blow, then I will be replacing them. My brother-in-law has a shop so I'm not worried about the extra costs of installs or anything. Would the sportlines on stock shocks be a smooth ride? And lastly, should I forget about the sportlines and go with pro rides since I'm planning on having passengers in the back consistently?

Thanks all for the input!
I love my sportlines, and have people/parts/stuff in my car all the time and its not an issue. I drive a lot, canyons and freeways both are very stable and the car is very smooth.

What mileage do you have on your stock shocks?

if they are getting up in mileage I wouldnt do it, i would get shocks also then do it at once and be done with it.

the sportline will drop you a little more then the prokit also, so it depends on the look you want out of the car also.

Let me know if I can help in any way, or answer any questions
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2010, 03:49 PM   #9
rayguy24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I love my sportlines, and have people/parts/stuff in my car all the time and its not an issue. I drive a lot, canyons and freeways both are very stable and the car is very smooth.

What mileage do you have on your stock shocks?

if they are getting up in mileage I wouldnt do it, i would get shocks also then do it at once and be done with it.

the sportline will drop you a little more then the prokit also, so it depends on the look you want out of the car also.

Let me know if I can help in any way, or answer any questions
My ride only has 26K on it so far. Suspension is bone stock non sport. After reading many other posts, I just feel that I'll be left wanting more than the "subtle" drop from the prokit. Since the sportlines are linear, I think the drop would look great on the e90 and compliment the 19" better.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 11:53 AM   #10
02themax
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by rayguy24 View Post
I'm truly hoping so. Do you have the DWs?

I know the gap is gonna bug the hell out of me once I get the set up on, so I'm taking my chance on the drop and hoping the Conti DW will smoothen out the roads. But I want to avoid killing the comfort and hearing my wife complain

Yes I have the DW's and seriously they are a great tire!! They do run a bit bigger than other tires so it will fill in your fender gap nicely. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised once you get your tires mounted, you might not want to drop it anymore. I haven't lowered mine because I drive in the winter and it's low enough as is!

E90 335i
Sport Package - Logic 7 Sound w/ipod - Bluetooth - Comfort Access - PDC - 19" M3 Reps 275/30 235/35 - Blacklines - 10mil spacers rear, 5mil spacers front - BMW Alarm
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2010, 02:04 PM   #11
rayguy24
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 02themax View Post
Yes I have the DW's and seriously they are a great tire!! They do run a bit bigger than other tires so it will fill in your fender gap nicely. I think you'll be pleasantly surprised once you get your tires mounted, you might not want to drop it anymore. I haven't lowered mine because I drive in the winter and it's low enough as is!
Think you could post a pic of your car? I'd like to see how your ride sits with the DWs on em.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2010, 07:34 PM   #12
02themax
Captain
Rep

Ill try and post a new pic tomorrow.

E90 335i
Appreciate 0