F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > 4 Series Technology Package -- Necessary For Playing Music From Your Phone?
ARMA SPEED

10-12-2013, 10:21 AM   #23
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep
Drives: REDACTED

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
If you've got $55k, you've got $60k....
Again, dangerous mentality in my experience. Suddenly you're driving in a Carrera 4 and saying "95k vs. 60k -- they're both 5-figures!"
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 11:06 AM   #24
DesertSmokeBBQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 F30 335i M-Sport

Garage List
2013 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArthurKing1220
Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertSmokeBBQ View Post
If you've got $55k, you've got $60k....
Again, dangerous mentality in my experience. Suddenly you're driving in a Carrera 4 and saying "95k vs. 60k -- they're both 5-figures!"
Well, if you can afford a Carrera 4 then why not a "gently used" GT3?

Traded 9-1-13 '13 Estoril Blue II F30 - 328i - ZMM - ZPP -ZDY - ZTB - 403 - 465 - 494 - 4DX- LC (Black) - 6NL
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 04:18 PM   #25
Mobster1983
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335i

I had a 328i luxury model as a loner for a few weeks and it didn't have the tech package. There was no USB plug in the glove box, and NO Bluetooth at all. I couldn't even connect my phone to the car to make calls. I have never seen this before on a modern car so am not sure what package or option adds Bluetooth, but make sure whatever you get has that.

I would, however, highly recommend the technology package. If you are getting a loan, break it down to how much extra you will be paying each month. Also, you should be able to get at least a few grand off the MSRP.
Appreciate 0
      10-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #26
steve111
Rep
Drives: 328i Touring

Quote:
So you're saying just connecting an iPhone 5 via a lightning connector to the in-car USB (?in the glovebox?) has given you the full range of connectivity / functions etc.? That would be GREAT news -- that's exactly what I'm looking for and it would enable me to skip the $3k tech package.
Mine is an iPhone 4S, but otherwise that's exactly what I'm saying. I'll check it out with my wife's iPhone 5 when we get home later today, but I expect it will work the same. The USB port is in the centre console.

Quote:
In your understanding, is there *anything* we lose in terms of phone functionality / access to phone features by not having the Tech package?
I don't believe so - but I should point out that for the Australian market, they don't offer packages as they do in North America. So what I've got is a 6MT 328i Sport Line with adaptive suspension, and no Tech Package-style options. It seems that with the MY14 update, my car has come with Professional Nav as standard - I don't know if that's the case for all markets, but I suspect it wouldn't affect phone functionality anyway. So the end result for me is that I have full connectivity (Bluetooth for calls, address book etc, and standard cable for audio) without paying a cent extra for options. Hopefully you'll find the same thing.

Edit - just checked iPhone 5 with lightning cable into USB. Worked perfectly.

Last edited by steve111; 10-13-2013 at 12:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:24 AM   #27
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mobster1983 View Post
I had a 328i luxury model as a loner for a few weeks and it didn't have the tech package. There was no USB plug in the glove box, and NO Bluetooth at all. I couldn't even connect my phone to the car to make calls. I have never seen this before on a modern car so am not sure what package or option adds Bluetooth, but make sure whatever you get has that.

I would, however, highly recommend the technology package. If you are getting a loan, break it down to how much extra you will be paying each month. Also, you should be able to get at least a few grand off the MSRP.
Mobster, see Steve's post just above mine -- was there a USB port in the center console?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:31 AM   #28
ArthurKing1220
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve111 View Post
Mine is an iPhone 4S, but otherwise that's exactly what I'm saying. I'll check it out with my wife's iPhone 5 when we get home later today, but I expect it will work the same. The USB port is in the centre console.

I don't believe so - but I should point out that for the Australian market, they don't offer packages as they do in North America. So what I've got is a 6MT 328i Sport Line with adaptive suspension, and no Tech Package-style options. It seems that with the MY14 update, my car has come with Professional Nav as standard - I don't know if that's the case for all markets, but I suspect it wouldn't affect phone functionality anyway. So the end result for me is that I have full connectivity (Bluetooth for calls, address book etc, and standard cable for audio) without paying a cent extra for options. Hopefully you'll find the same thing.

Edit - just checked iPhone 5 with lightning cable into USB. Worked perfectly.

Thank you I really appreciate it! I'm concerned that we may be dealing with some differences across model lines per your point -- for example, in the US 435, I don't believe nav ever comes standard -- you either get it through the Tech package or there is no nav. However, I did just check and the US 435 includes as a "standard" feature "USB audio connection. So it sounds like a USB connect into the computer is a standard feature even without the $3,000 Tech pack.

Last edited by ArthurKing1220; 10-22-2013 at 10:56 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2013, 10:42 AM   #29
_torn
Rep
Drives: 328d

i use this in mine. the aux is in the center armrest
2$

http://dx.com/p/3-5mm-retractable-st...m-length-26312
Appreciate 0