E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Review: Wavetrac Differential at VAC Motorsports

08-02-2011, 10:53 AM   #1
turugara
Major
Rep
Drives: 335i Coupe, 6 Speed

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Thumbs up Review: Wavetrac Differential at VAC Motorsports

Recently I've had the pleasure of having my car outfitted with a Wavetrac differential at VAC motorsports in Philadelphia. Credit given where credit's due. These guys are legit.

The following is less of a review of the Wavetrac differential, and more about the experience I had with VAC and the guys there.

When I first arrived, I was fairly skeptical because the shop isn't exactly located in the best neighborhood in Philadelphia. However, when I walked in, my initial impressions took a 180 turn. The inside was full of things I wish I had in my car.

Not only that, Steve greeted me and then proceeded to show me around the entire shop. The whole place is full of energy and pretty much filled to the brim with stuff that I have no clue what it's for.

I looked around e90post and did quite a bit of research myself before I went to the shop so I had a pretty good idea that I wanted the wavetrac differential. I sat down with Steve and Chris (their engineer guru) and worked out all of the details of how they'll put a differential into my welded diff ('11 e92 335i mt).

The gist of it was... its not easy. The whole process is highly specialized and requires some special equipment. Fortunately for me, they had a machine just for that in the back. It looks something like this.

So here's the part that really motivated me to write all of this up. My car only has ~2k miles on it. Because the diff in the back is pretty much brand new, VAC decided that it would be better to outfit my diff with the LSD as oppose to doing a core swap.

At this point they quoted me a very fair price and an estimated time of about a week (they had a lot of cars lined up that week.) I dropped my car off on Tuesday and was originally quoted to come pick it up the following Tuesday. Obviously, as an enthusiast, I wanted my LSD in now and my car back ASAP.

Chris told me that it was going to be difficult, but would try to get my car in before the weekend was over on Friday. He gave me a 25% chance that this would be possible because they were swamped with work.

So Tuesday passed, Wednesday came along, and Thursday slowly drifted by. By Friday I was pretty much having withdrawal symptoms and wanted my car back.

As luck would have it, when I called in for the fiftieth time to see how my car was doing, I was told that it was being put back together now and that they would be running some tests in the afternoon and I should be able to pick up the car in the evening.

When I got to the shop, I saw my car parked out in front with no apparent visual differences. The first thing that I did was crouch down and look underneath. This is what I saw.

I rushed inside, found Chris, and pretty much couldn't stop thanking him and the rest of the crew for such a quick turnaround. I basically threw my credit card down, grabbed my keys, got into the car, and at this point I was grinning ear to ear.

If I didn't have such a great experience with VAC, I wouldn't have spent the time to write all of this up. If any of you are looking to get some work done on your BMW in the great Philly area, I would highly recommend VAC. They are very fair with their hourly charges and have never quoted me low and charged me more (I also had my brake lines, pads, fluid flush, and exhaust fitted a week earlier).

Even if you're not able to go to their shop in person, they are amazing over the phone. Last week I overheard Steve having what seemed like a five hour conversation with a customer who was asking the same questions, over and over and over and over again. The amount of patience that these guys have is out of this world.

Thank you VAC. I am a very satisfied customer.

Oh. And the LSD.
Freaking amazing. The amount of grip is remarkable. Traction control comes on a lot less often and with the traction control off, the car is much easier to control when the rear slides out. My biggest problem with the LSD is that now I'm really beginning to feel the other weak points in the vehicle.

Now I need an M3 suspension upgrade, GC coilovers, and some new sway bars.

Between that and track days I'm going to need a serious boost in income.

[Some of the photos were taken off the VAC website because my iPhone pics just didn't cut it]
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:11 AM   #2
hemi to e90
dat boost doe
Poland
Rep
Drives: 10 335i 21 740li

smart mod! i feel not enough people start with the list of things youve done so far!

do you mind sharing the $# over PM?
      08-02-2011, 11:18 AM   #3
TheStig
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alot of everything.

Awesome!
-08 M3 DCT W/ Full Exhaust / Tune
-13 B8 Audi S4 APR Stage 2+
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:19 AM   #4
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
Thanks. I come from motorcycles so going fast in a straight line is pretty hard to match with any car. I turned my focus towards cars to rip up the corners, hence the mod choices!
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:40 AM   #5
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Do u guys leave ur DTC alone or turn it off?? I have a Quaife LSD and I still see that damn light all the time.(might need new tires) so I turn it off completely, the good thing is that with the LSD and the sub-bushings upgrade I feel I have full control of the rear end. Some people state that the DTC light doesn't or hardly turns on, which is not my case
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 11:43 AM   #6
turugara
Major
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.44]
It's usually the second button I press after the Start Engine button. The car's feels more predictable with the DTC off.

Nevertheless, I left it on to see how the LSD reacted and I was able to push the car further before the DTC nannies came and stopped the fun.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:17 PM   #7
onefastman
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i 2011 e92m dct

Pm me what they quoted you to install the dif. I bought the same dif but need it put in my car which has a welded dif.
Legal Disclaimer: Anything I or anyone else says about my vehicle on this website(1addicts.com or any affiliated or nonaffiliated sites), pertaining to modifications, is only to gain acceptance from my/our peers, and does not actually represent anything actually existing on my car, and thus, cannot be held against me in any issues, i.e. warranty claims, that may arise.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #8
ttbmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: space gray on black 07 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by turugara View Post
It's usually the second button I press after the Start Engine button. The car's feels more predictable with the DTC off.

Nevertheless, I left it on to see how the LSD reacted and I was able to push the car further before the DTC nannies came and stopped the fun.
Yeah thats for sure after that mod I feel very confident when driving with the DTC completely off. Thanx
PROCEDE, PWM Vishnu Kit, AR catless DP, BMS DCI, Helix IC, P3 gauge, 25% window tint, mattblack window trim, mattblack roof wrapped. Vorstainer CSL trunk, CF wrapped interior, 18'' Forgestar F14 Matt black, quaife LSD, M3 suspension bits, Mtech front bumper). http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b8JIB8C8HDA
Appreciate 0