F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > F30 328i brake malfunction
Extreme Powerhouse

04-14-2013, 04:38 PM   #23
renegadeavenger
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328XI

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
What's more amazing to me is the number of corroborating stories from members with <5 posts...all using some variation of the same post written in broken English. Coincidence?
Diesel I know I am a new member but this is my first bmw since last week so you can't blame me for having low post count since I won't join this forum if I don't own a bmw. I am certainly not trolling. This case is being handled by my dealership right now and it was even reproducible from the lead tech. While I don't think it is affecting a large amount of vehicles there is definitely a small batch in recent production that has some issues. Mine was built in February. Either way for new buyers or drivers of new bmw please be careful.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 05:57 PM   #24
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
Thank you sir. I was thinking the same thing in terms of recalls. Im just glad i got out of it with a concussion rather than something more severe. and yea lol im going to stick to my E90. I personally like the way the E90 looks better than F30.
What happened is truly horrific. Both the dealer and BMW need to explain and be held accountable for this failure.

Did you use the brakes at all before getting into the situation that you did?
That must have been one very steep and/or long downhill.
Are there a lot of those in residential NJ areas, considering there were parked cars about?

I do find it silly that you would use this as an opportune time to say you don't like how the F30 looks compared to your E90.
Also, complete brake failure is not common to any brand car in recent history.
Does it happen? Sure it does, as you just experienced.

I'm surprised the road never leveled off so that downshifting could bring your speed down to a controllable level where the emergency brake could have assisted you. As one poster mentioned, the hand brake needs to be used very judicially. Pulling to full on can and will cause a skid, which can put the car into an uncontrollable state.
Very odd indeed.
Thank goodness you are ok, seems at least the BMW structure was strong enough to smash into a tree resulting in no injuries to you.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 06:00 PM   #25
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by renegadeavenger View Post
Diesel I know I am a new member but this is my first bmw since last week so you can't blame me for having low post count since I won't join this forum if I don't own a bmw. I am certainly not trolling. This case is being handled by my dealership right now and it was even reproducible from the lead tech. While I don't think it is affecting a large amount of vehicles there is definitely a small batch in recent production that has some issues. Mine was built in February. Either way for new buyers or drivers of new bmw please be careful.
Did you car have complete brake failure, meaning there was no braking at all?
And, did the cars brakes feel ok when you started driving?
Was there any fluid on the ground where you last parked it?

Obviously brake failure is extremely troublesome and cause for concern.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2013, 07:11 PM   #26
renegadeavenger
Registered
Rep

In my case the brake pedals became rock hard and when you step on it, it doesn't seem to stop well at all. Vacuum pump was replaced but a day later it happened again. The first step seems somewhat okay but any other pump is rock hard. I am lucky I wasn't going down a hill like the original poster on this topic. No fluid on ground at all and no lights.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 03:47 PM   #27
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 F82 M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
What happened is truly horrific. Both the dealer and BMW need to explain and be held accountable for this failure.

Did you use the brakes at all before getting into the situation that you did?
That must have been one very steep and/or long downhill.
Are there a lot of those in residential NJ areas, considering there were parked cars about?

I do find it silly that you would use this as an opportune time to say you don't like how the F30 looks compared to your E90.
Also, complete brake failure is not common to any brand car in recent history.
Does it happen? Sure it does, as you just experienced.

I'm surprised the road never leveled off so that downshifting could bring your speed down to a controllable level where the emergency brake could have assisted you. As one poster mentioned, the hand brake needs to be used very judicially. Pulling to full on can and will cause a skid, which can put the car into an uncontrollable state.
Very odd indeed.
Thank goodness you are ok, seems at least the BMW structure was strong enough to smash into a tree resulting in no injuries to you.
you can analyze it right now. however, at the time everything was happening it was a quick decisions. smartest decision? probably not but it saved my life. so I can't argue against it. and yes long downhill and in the area of north jersey that i live in yes there are many of them. and it did level. the brakes did not completely fail but it felt as if they weren't even doing anything. I mean if people want to accuse me of bullshitting then please go ahead. I mean i love driving brand new loaner cars into trees....
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2013, 04:34 PM   #28
infinitigor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3C, 2010 E350

sounds like you just ripped the ebrake to drift the car and hit a tree, and now are just making up stories.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 09:58 PM   #29
renegadeavenger
Registered
Rep

Guys I believe the original poster of this thread. This brake failure happened to me and if I was going downhill my life would be at risk too.

E90bedi, when you stepped on your brakes did the pedal felt rock hard? If so that is exactly what I experienced too but luckily it failed not going down hill or on Highway.

This is seriously no joking matter, I don't care if people don't believe what's happening but in all honesty whoever is picking up a new bmw please be aware this happened on new 2013 models.

It also looks like guitarplayx had the same issue. However I am curious how the brakes are for him after master cylinder was replaced. My car was manufacturered in February. You can probably check the VIN number to figure out what date it was made. I am guessing there is a small batch that may be bad and bmw will eventually issue a recall on affected vehicles.

Last edited by renegadeavenger; 04-16-2013 at 10:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2013, 10:31 PM   #30
guitarplayax
Rep
Drives: BMW 2013 328i xDrive

renegadeavenger - It ended up being a faulty vacuum pump, not the master cylinder as originally thought. They were able to procure the part and fix the problem in 2 days. My car was also manufactured in February. The reason I have so few posts, is that I registered for this forum immediately after the brakes failed - I only had the car for 1 day before this happened. The dealership and BMW should not be blamed from this, especially because the vehicle passed all of BMW's tests at the factory, and the dealership clearly thought the car was sellable. It must be a bad batch of pumps from a specific supplier. Not that I have any proof or reason to believe this, the sales manager at my dealership said that in the 17 years he's worked for BMW he has never seen this happen. If you guys really want, I can upload the documentation from the dealership this weekend.

Quote:
Guys I believe the original poster of this thread. This brake failure happened to me and if I was going downhill my life would be at risk too.

E90bedi, when you stepped on your brakes did the pedal felt rock hard? If so that is exactly what I experienced too but luckily it failed not going down hill or on Highway.

This is seriously no joking matter, I don't care if people don't believe what's happening but in all honesty whoever is picking up a new bmw please be aware this happened on new 2013 models.

It also looks like guitarplayx had the same issue. However I am curious how the brakes are for him after master cylinder was replaced. My car was manufacturered in February. You can probably check the VIN number to figure out what date it was made. I am guessing there is a small batch that may be bad and bmw will eventually issue a recall on affected vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:05 PM   #31
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

yea! thats exactly what it felt like. the brake pedal felt rock hard.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #32
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayax View Post
renegadeavenger - It ended up being a faulty vacuum pump, not the master cylinder as originally thought. They were able to procure the part and fix the problem in 2 days. My car was also manufactured in February. The reason I have so few posts, is that I registered for this forum immediately after the brakes failed - I only had the car for 1 day before this happened. The dealership and BMW should not be blamed from this, especially because the vehicle passed all of BMW's tests at the factory, and the dealership clearly thought the car was sellable. It must be a bad batch of pumps from a specific supplier. Not that I have any proof or reason to believe this, the sales manager at my dealership said that in the 17 years he's worked for BMW he has never seen this happen. If you guys really want, I can upload the documentation from the dealership this weekend.
guitarplayax- if you could please email me them or as u said upload them to the forum that would be of great help!
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:44 PM   #33
guitarplayax
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bedi View Post
guitarplayax- if you could please email me them or as u said upload them to the forum that would be of great help!
Here you go:

Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 03:45 PM   #34
ƒ°
Rep
Drives: ✚

I wonder if this is only specific to the 328i. It looks like BMW better address this before something serious happens.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:58 PM   #35
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
sounds like you just ripped the ebrake to drift the car and hit a tree, and now are just making up stories.
Are you kidding me right now? if ur accusing me of making up a story like that. think of it logically. if i tried drifting the car purposely i would have flipped considering i hit a curb and a fire hydrant first. and eventually i would have hit the tree side ways. dont start accusing me of of shit like this.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 01:59 PM   #36
E90bedi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarplayax View Post
Here you go:

thanks man i really appreciate it.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 07:21 PM   #37
richreg3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW XI sportline

What E90bedi and renegadeavenger said is true. My 2013 BMW XI sportline is now at the dealer waiting for replacing the vacumn pump. SA said that it is unsafe to drive anymore. He told me there is another 328 XI that has the same problem sitting there for almost a month waiting for the parts to come from Germany. I expect the same to my car. FYI, my car was also built in February and I received it two weeks ago.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2013, 09:13 PM   #38
guitarplayax
Rep

I really hope that by now BMW realizes they have a problem with this specific part and issues a recall.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 12:49 AM   #39
richreg3
Registered
Rep

Quote:
In my case the brake pedals became rock hard and when you step on it, it doesn't seem to stop well at all. Vacuum pump was replaced but a day later it happened again. The first step seems somewhat okay but any other pump is rock hard. I am lucky I wasn't going down a hill like the original poster on this topic. No fluid on ground at all and no lights.

Do you mean it is not just because of the vacuum pump, but other problem that causes the brake pedals became rock hard? Did your dealer find out what went wrong? In my case, I have no problem in braking to stop when driving normally on the road. Most the time it happens when I drive in or out of the garage very slowly and have to step on the brake very hard to make it completely stopped.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 11:53 AM   #40
diesel86
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 328i Sportline

On the above service invoice, the model is listed as a '13 328xi but engine is listed as 3.0 liter. Is your car an F30 sedan or an E90 coupe?

I pronounce it "Beemer" and turn my fog lights on even when it's not foggy.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 03:50 PM   #41
richreg3
Registered
Rep

Just received a call from my SA. He told me that the vacuum pump is here, but they also have to replace the cam shaft that has to be shipped from Germany. It takes about 3 weeks and I got a loan X1
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:40 PM   #42
guitarplayax
Rep

It's an F30 328i sedan with an N20.

Quote:
Originally Posted by diesel86 View Post
On the above service invoice, the model is listed as a '13 328xi but engine is listed as 3.0 liter. Is your car an F30 sedan or an E90 coupe?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 08:43 PM   #43
guitarplayax
Rep

Camshaft for what?

Quote:
Originally Posted by richreg3 View Post
Just received a call from my SA. He told me that the vacuum pump is here, but they also have to replace the cam shaft that has to be shipped from Germany. It takes about 3 weeks and I got a loan X1
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2013, 10:54 PM   #44
ScarecrowBoat
Zooombie attaaack!!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 328

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinitigor View Post
I agree. OP, post up pictures of the wreck. Sorry to accuse you but your story doesn't make sense.

Last edited by ScarecrowBoat; 04-24-2013 at 11:04 PM..
Appreciate 0