E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Engine Malf., DSC Malf., Trans. Malf., Half Power and Long Cranks

07-31-2013, 03:20 AM   #1
willazcona
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E90 335i

Engine Malf., DSC Malf., Trans. Malf., Half Power and Long Cranks

Alright so today, I was driving pretty lightly through moderate traffic and exited the freeway to go home. As I'm driving on the streets towards home, I receive all errors stated above in the title: Engine Malfunction, DSC Malfunction, Malfunction in Transmission, Power Reduced, and Service Immediately. Oil Temp gauge is reading <250 degrees and there is no visible smoke or evaporation of water/coolant under the hood. Naturally, I assume the car is freaking out for now reason. I pull aside and shut the car off for <2 mins. Voila! All is good.

Fast forward to 3-4 hours later, I drive to a friend's house. The car performs normal as usual but now, I'm ready to go back home. Mind you, the car is cold by the time I'm ready to start driving again. Now I'm getting long cranks reminiscent of HPFP issues, but without the shaking. On top of the long cranks, I receive all previously listed errors. I make it all the way home, but notice that the car seems to drive more normally as the engine gets hotter, BUT NOT COMPLETELY NORMAL. I wait till its about 190-200 degrees and shut it off and try it again, but no dice. Same long cranks and same error codes.

My car is a 2008 CPO E90 335i with nearly 73k on it.
It has had the Water Pump, Transmission, HPFP, Coolant Hoses, and Power Steering Pump replaced along with regular and scheduled maintenance.

What am I possibly dealing with over here? I don't have a tool to pull codes and I did some research on the forums, but didn't seem to find (or maybe didn't look hard enough) for a case similar to mine. I'd just like to know what to expect before going to the dealer and having them take advantage of my situation.

I appreciate the help in advance and I'm a huge fan of this community.

-Will
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 06:33 AM   #2
CustomColours
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335i SE

Your really going to need to plug it in and read the codes. Without it its just guess work.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:14 AM   #3
AndyR83
Major
Rep
Drives: E92 335i FBO

Unfortunately there's no way to know without the codes. Places like Auto zone usually scan them for free, maybe try that?
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 07:21 AM   #4
Delusive
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bagged E92

Could be a bad battery since you stated it has long cranks at start up and all the errors still show up but no symptoms of shakes.
      07-31-2013, 11:12 AM   #5
pc69
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

I had the same problem recently. My dealership replaced the crankshaft position sensor to fix the DSC, DTC, brake, transmission malfunction. Also they replaced the LPFP (or the sensor?) on my car to address the long cranking issue.
Appreciate 0
      07-31-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
BMWM.D.
Stupid Idiot
Rep
Drives: E90 335i & 6th Gen ZL1

Sounds like the crankshaft sensor to me, too. Just had one in the shop not too long ago. Long crank, various warnings (reduced power,transmission and maybe DSC?). Could be a bad crank sensor or a loose connector, damaged wiring, etc. That's my best guess.