E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > E90 M Aerodynamic Retrofit Kit No Longer Available in the US?

07-01-2013, 11:16 AM   #1
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330Xi Sedan

E90 M Aerodynamic Retrofit Kit No Longer Available in the US?

So, I've been trying to purchase the M Aerodynamic kit (51 95 0 409 693) for my Pre-LCI E90 for about a month now. Everyone I've tried to get it from says that it's no longer available and that BMW USA has discontinued it.

Why? I'm not sure. One of the guys at getbmwpartsDOTcom says that it's due to it not having a reflector on the front bumper, making it not DOT approved. Which would make sense for e92 & e93. Not so for the e90 & e91 as the reflectors are in the headlamps.

Today, I got a call from one of my local dealerships which I visited over the weekend. And the parts rep told me that he could still order it from Germany. However, the only way they would allow it was if it came on my car and I would need to provide a VIN to prove it!

I've tried eBay, CL, Dealerships, resellers, etc, nothing.
Id like to get the OEM kit. Not a fan of all the other junk that's out there.

Any ideas? tips? suggestions?
Got a 2006 - 2008 M Sport VIN I can use? lol.

Help!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:34 PM   #2
jakuum
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM e92 335i M-sport

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Hmm that would suck if it was indeed discontinued . I was thinking about getting the kit in the future for my car. Getbmwparts still has the rear bumper, and strangely enough the full pre-LCI e91 kit is in stock and available, but the full e90 pre-LCI kit has disappeared.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 05:38 PM   #3
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jakuum View Post
Hmm that would suck if it was indeed discontinued . I was thinking about getting the kit in the future for my car. Getbmwparts still has the rear bumper, and strangely enough the full pre-LCI e91 kit is in stock and available, but the full e90 pre-LCI kit has disappeared.
Yeah, They still list it but if you contact them, they'll let you know that it's unavailable in the US.
If you search for the part number I listed above, it still shows up because it reflects BMW's catalog and they haven't removed it yet.

All of the places I've tried ordering it from, all issue me a refund the next day and explain.

I'm going to Montreal this weekend for Jazz Fest. So, I'm like "hhmmm, I'll buy it there." I called and they told me the same thing.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:29 PM   #4
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '18 ZCP Mexico Blue M3

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I literally went through this exact predicament last week, and my new M kit is currently being installed. I visited BMW of Sterling in Northern Virginia, and I asked them about the M kit, and I got the same answer. They told me it was discontinued, and that they'd send an email to BMWNA to see if there was anything they could do. I left, and went down the road to BMW of Fairfax and asked the same question, and received an entirely different answer. Fairfax told me the kit hadn't been discontinued, it was only on a "special order" list. The only way to order one was to have the dealership request one manually from BMWNA.

Fairfax got on the phone while I was standing there and asked BMWNA whether they could order one, and they didn't have a problem with it. I ordered the entire kit from Fairfax, and they said it would be coming straight from Germany, and shipping would take about 10 days. The reason I couldn't order one myself is because the kit itself is Euro spec'd, and was never released in the US.

The next day, I got a call from Sterling telling me they had the kit at the dealership ready for paint and install. I was caught a bit off guard since I had ordered the kit from Fairfax. It turns out that when Sterling sent out the email, BMWNA assumed that they needed the kit ASAP, and overnighted it no questions asked. I canceled my order with Fairfax, ran up to Sterling, and had the kit delivered to their preferred body shop about a mile from their service department. Car should be finished by Wednesday.

In short, don't let anyone tell you it's discontinued. Unless they physically call BMWNA in front of you, they haven't done their due diligence, and are losing business. Sterling almost lost my business by neglecting to actually call BMWNA, but because they overnighted the whole kit and gave me a huge discount, they earned it back. The kit isn't discontinued, it just needs to be ordered manually from BMWNA by your dealer of choice. I just did this last week, so my information is pretty current.

Good luck!

Last edited by ///Macht; 07-01-2013 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:47 PM   #5
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Macht View Post
I literally went through this exact predicament last week...
///Macht,

Thank you so much for your post!
I was beginning to loose hope.
I will go back to the dealership tomorrow and see if I can speak to someone else or go to another dealership.

Do you mind me asking how much you ended up paying for the kit and what part number it was?

Also, any other info you have would be great!

PS: by BMWUSA, do you know if they're referring to somewhere in Pennsylvania?

Thanks!!
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 10:56 PM   #6
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I meant BMWNA, I knew I had it wrong! BMWNA is based in New Jersey. I'll edit my original post to reflect the change. I'll track down the part number for you when I can get the receipt. I accidentally left it in my glove box when I dropped the car off at the body shop. The kit I ordered though is the very same pre-LCI kit they have listed on BMW's website.

I was charged $1,862 from Fairfax, but Sterling gave me the whole kit for $1,460. I'm assuming they did this because BMWNA overnighted the kit before I even bought it. A stroke of good luck there. Just make sure whoever you talk to physically picks up a phone and calls BMWNA. Fairfax made the call in front of me, and he ordered the kit as soon as he hung up.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 06:27 AM   #7
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I meant BMWNA, I knew I had it wrong! BMWNA is based in New Jersey. I'll edit my original post to reflect the change. I'll track down the part number for you when I can get the receipt. I accidentally left it in my glove box when I dropped the car off at the body shop. The kit I ordered though is the very same pre-LCI kit they have listed on BMW's website.

I was charged $1,862 from Fairfax, but Sterling gave me the whole kit for $1,460. I'm assuming they did this because BMWNA overnighted the kit before I even bought it. A stroke of good luck there. Just make sure whoever you talk to physically picks up a phone and calls BMWNA. Fairfax made the call in front of me, and he ordered the kit as soon as he hung up.
Thanks again!

A part number would be great! Just want to see if it's the same or close to what I was using (+/- on the last digit for different options).

The dealership that tried to order it last said they couldn't match getmbwpartsDOTcom but the best they could do was $1,1400. So I'll see if they can try again. Only this time have them call NJ, not PA.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 09:56 PM   #8
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I've got the receipt, and the part number for the M Aerodynamic kit that Sterling overnighted for me is 51950403533, retailing for $1625, sold to me for $1462.50. Picked up the car today, will post a pic or two of it installed when I get a chance.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:19 PM   #9
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I've got the receipt, and the part number for the M Aerodynamic kit that Sterling overnighted for me is 51950403533, retailing for $1625, sold to me for $1462.50. Picked up the car today, will post a pic or two of it installed when I get a chance.
Nice!
I kept coming up with a few different part numbers. Nothing resembling that though. What options does your car have? (Headlamp washers, park distance control, active cruise control)?

I visited some dealerships today. Got 2 looking Into it. One guy would just not even try, he kind of just said "yeah, already tried that". Very dismissive. These parts guys don't offer very good customer service.
I called Sterling down in VA. They said they can ship it to me.
I'll wait to hear back from the other places first.

Can't wait to see your pics!
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:30 PM   #10
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Actually, I was going to say you could call BMW of Sterling in VA and talk to Ryan Hoover. He called me today asking about the install and whether or not I was happy with everything, so he's definitely customer-service oriented. Ryan handled my entire order. I'd honestly just go through Sterling, since whatever dealership you decide on will have to order it from BMWNA, and they're based in New Jersey. Have Sterling send it out to the dealership of your choice (the shipment is huge, and can't be transported alone), and have your local dealership do the install. As far as options, I don't have headlamp washers, PDC, or active cruise control.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:35 PM   #11
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Actually, I was going to say you could call BMW of Sterling in VA and talk to Ryan Hoover. He called me today asking about the install and whether or not I was happy with everything, so he's definitely customer-service oriented. Ryan handled my entire order. I'd honestly just go through Sterling, since whatever dealership you decide on will have to order it from BMWNA, and they're based in New Jersey. Have Sterling send it out to the dealership of your choice (the shipment is huge, and can't be transported alone), and have your local dealership do the install. As far as options, I don't have headlamp washers, PDC, or active cruise control.
Yes!
That's who I've been emailing back and forth with. Nice guy.
If it can be drop-shipped to me or a dealer near here, that would rock!
We'll see.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2013, 11:37 PM   #12
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Ryan will get it all sorted for you. After all, it might feel like deja vu for him! I don't think they'll have a problem sending the kit out to one of your local dealerships, they're still getting paid regardless of where they send it.
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 01:11 PM   #13
335iEvil
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i

Quote:
Ryan will get it all sorted for you. After all, it might feel like deja vu for him! I don't think they'll have a problem sending the kit out to one of your local dealerships, they're still getting paid regardless of where they send it.
do you have any pics yet
Appreciate 0
      07-03-2013, 01:54 PM   #14
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I'll post some as soon as I get home from work!
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:01 PM   #15
JayVII
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 E90

Hey guys I was wondering what all is included in the retro fit kit and what is not ... Also TurnerMotorSports has the kit for less than $1460.00
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 02:02 PM   #16
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
I believe Turner has the front, and maybe the rear bumper, but not the parts needed to put it all together. I might be wrong, though.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 03:04 PM   #17
Bonifaxio
United_States
Rep

Actually, turner has it on their website because it reflects the BMW catalog.
They're actually about 20 mins from my house and was the second place I tried.

What I ended up doing was calling BMW of Sterling like ///Macht recommended and a day later, it was on it's way to the US from Germany. It's currently on it's way to me and I should have it tomorrow or Wed. I can't wait!

Just have to find a place for paint.

Also, purchased some Avant Garde M359 last month and should Arrive some time next week. I'll post pics as soon as it's done.

///Macht, any pics yet????
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 04:01 PM   #18
///Macht
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [10.00]
Here they are! Took them with my Z10, so they're not the best quality.

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

View post on imgur.com

If they're garbage, I'll take a few more with my fiancee's Nikon.
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2013, 07:06 PM   #19
Doctor///M
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 AUDI RS6

Garage List
2023 Audi RS6 Avant  [0.00]
BMW M2 Competition   [10.00]
2009 BMW 335i  [0.00]
2015 M3  [9.52]
good job guys! perseverance paid off!!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 11:08 AM   #20
Dcrider
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, sport, M-tech

Glad I found this thread, Ryan at Sterling BMW rocks.

I was facing the same issue with the M-tech bumper cover not being DOT approved so my insurance co. would not authorize the bodyshop to replace my original damaged one. After a few weeks of fanagling and getting the insurance adjuster, bodyshop and Ryan all in touch it was approved and Ryan ordered it shipped from Germany expidited just last Friday.

Highly recommend going to Ryan at Sterling BMW for anything, that guy is very responsive and knows his stuff, a true customer service oriented professional.

btw- BMW OEM Part# for just the M-tech front bumper cover with washer cutouts is 51118041131, no washer cutouts 51117906491
Quote:
Actually, I was going to say you could call BMW of Sterling in VA and talk to Ryan Hoover. He called me today asking about the install and whether or not I was happy with everything, so he's definitely customer-service oriented.

Last edited by Dcrider; 11-06-2013 at 11:39 AM..
Appreciate 0