E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > New Front Bumper (Painted/Installed) - Wait to Install Front Lip?

11-12-2013, 10:06 PM   #1
RoyalFlush
Professional Coin Flipper
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

Question New Front Bumper (Painted/Installed) - Wait to Install Front Lip?

I just purchased the M-Tech front bumper and am currently getting it painted and installed on my car.

Do (should) I wait (for the paint to cure) before installing a front lip?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 04:44 AM   #2
paperboy42190
Headlight Modifier
Rep
Drives: Acura TL-S

A good shop will wait until the paint is dried for about a day before giving it back to you anyways. Might not be cured for couple weeks, but I doubt you'll notice any difference if you install it early.
      11-13-2013, 08:55 AM   #3
McAuley7
@McAuley7
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [9.00]
Idk I'd wait even though might not do anything to paint, give it a few days after
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:46 PM   #4
Rat_House
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp, Gated R8, DatsunZ, mk

i would be more concerned about hitting snow and ice chunks during winter, assuming it snows where you live.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 02:31 PM   #5
bimmertt
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2007 e92 335i

If the lip requires 3m tape, definitely wait. If you install now with tape and remove the lip in the future, chances are high that the tape will pull some of the paint off.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2013, 06:44 AM   #6
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

If you are using tape and are up North, you'll need a heated garage or wait until Spring. Tape won't bond in cold temps anyway.
      11-15-2013, 03:56 AM   #7
1QuikWS6
No 55mph
Rep
Drives: F32 435ix MSport

Garage List
Had my front bumper resprayed under insurance. At same time I got a new replacement OEM Aero Spoiler & had them paint that @ same time so paint would be perfect match.

Dealer that did the work advised me to wait at least 1 month before bringing car back in for spoiler install to allow bumper paint to properly cure - they would not warranty the bumper paint job if I did not do this, as he stated there is a high risk that the 3M tape used to attach the spoiler could pull off the new bumper paint if it ever needed to be removed if installed too soon...

This was during summer months here in PA.

You could still do spoiler install during winter as long as you have access to a heated garage & allow the car to warm up sufficiently, but you might want to wait till Spring anyway as flying road debris & salt on winter roads trashes the spoiler paint rather quickly - at least you'll have it looking great for one summer if you wait

Or you could also have the front bumper and/or the spoiler wrapped with clear 3M XPel after the paint has cured and never have to worry
F32 435ix//MGM//M Sport-Prem-Tech-Driver Assist-Lighting-Cold Weather-Dyn Handling Pkgs//M4 Black Lthr Int w/M4 Alum Blade Trim//HK w/Bavsound Stg3//763M//M4 Euro LCI Tails//M4 Mirrors w/CF Covers//AWCarbon CF F/R Spoilers-Side Splitters-Diffuser 6WB/ID6 HU+HUD/IND M4 Alcantara Armrest//PURE S2 Turbo//AA FMIC+DP//ER CP+TIC//3.5bar TMAP/TS DV//AWE Tuning Exh w/Blk Tips//Turner MS CF Intake//BM3 Cary Jordan Tune//MPerf Diff//PrecRW Ignition Kit
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 08:03 AM   #8
RoyalFlush
United_States
Rep

My car's currently in the shop right now, and (one of) the owners said he could also install the front lip. From reading on the forums, most people use double-sided tape and longer screws. I mentioned this to him and there wasn't a reply indicating a problem.

I did a little research and also talked to a few professional detailers that coincidentally know the shop and refer all their clients to them. I also found out they use a “baking” process which should let the paint cure a lot faster and more complete (?). They’re literally the highest rated body shop in the area with perfect 5 star ratings on several sites, so that in addition with the two things above gave me a little more assurance they could install a simple lip without it causing issues in the future. With that said, they also provide a lifetime warranty.

(I plan on wrapping the lip afterwards for protective film.)
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 07:47 PM   #9
lito
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by bimmertt View Post
If the lip requires 3m tape, definitely wait. If you install now with tape and remove the lip in the future, chances are high that the tape will pull some of the paint off.
agreed. What lip did you get?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
RoyalFlush
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lito View Post
agreed. What lip did you get?
The same one as you, Arkym.

I had another talk with the owner/manager tending to my car. When talking about installing the front lip, he brought up using another adhesive, but that it'd be more permanent. His reasoning was that with the 3M tape, it won't be as "attached", especially when moisture comes into play. This would factor in air getting in between the bumper and the lip at high speeds and possibly causing issues.

I told him I already plan on changing the front lip annually because I know it'll get torn up and scraped, and that the 3M would work better for this purpose.

With that said, he said for me to come to the shop sometime next week to view the options in person.

PS I know it won't fully protect it from scrapes, but will wrapping the the lip with protective film help, or is that just a waste?
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #11
lito
Colonel
Philippines
Rep
Drives: E92, F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyalFlush View Post
The same one as you, Arkym.

I had another talk with the owner/manager tending to my car. When talking about installing the front lip, he brought up using another adhesive, but that it'd be more permanent. His reasoning was that with the 3M tape, it won't be as "attached", especially when moisture comes into play. This would factor in air getting in between the bumper and the lip at high speeds and possibly causing issues.

I told him I already plan on changing the front lip annually because I know it'll get torn up and scraped, and that the 3M would work better for this purpose.

With that said, he said for me to come to the shop sometime next week to view the options in person.

PS I know it won't fully protect it from scrapes, but will wrapping the the lip with protective film help, or is that just a waste?

get this this heavy duty 3m double sided tape
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0016H...110_SY165_QL70

as far as protecting the lip from scrapping buy some of those rubber side trim molding from any autoparts store and attached some in the bottom of the lip. Here is a pic from my car
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2013, 08:00 AM   #12
RoyalFlush
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lito View Post
get this this heavy duty 3m double sided tape
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0016H...110_SY165_QL70

as far as protecting the lip from scrapping buy some of those rubber side trim molding from any autoparts store and attached some in the bottom of the lip. Here is a pic from my car
Salamat!
Appreciate 0