E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY: Automatic Transmission Fluid Leak FIX!! BMW 335i(e92-e93)

04-01-2013, 11:52 AM   #67
Mr_SDP
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 335i F30 Sedan Manual

Finally was able to find the time to complete this DIY. I would say its a medium job where the only challenging part is the mechatronics sleeve replacement.

1. Jacking up the car and draining the fluid was very easy.

2. Removing the pan bolts and pan was easy. Just unscrew them and pull the pan down (and all the fluid with it!!!)

3. Removing the retaining clip to the mechatronics sleeve was easy. I used a flat head screw driver to do this.

4. Unlocking the sleeve was easy too...just pull the locking mechanism down.

5. Removing the sleeve was a bit challenging. Luckily, I had a tool that is sort of like some really long tweezers that are very rigid. This helps grab the sleeve after it has been unlocked to pull it out of the hole. It is even more helpful when setting the new sleeve and pushing it far enough back into the hole to lock it in place (via the locking mechanism). Since it is very difficult to get your fingers up in that area to grab/move/push/re-orient the sleeve, a tweezer like tool makes it much easier.

6. Putting the new pan and bolts back in was easy. I cleaned the mating surface with some 'sandpaper-like' wipes to get any debris that could potentially cause long term damage to the pan gasket.

7. Filling the the trans with new fluid was easy, just a little messing when the fluid started overflowing after 3 'start/stop and fills'.

8. I ended up only filling about 3.5 to 4 qts of fluid. Each time I started the car I let it run for 15 mins. After the last start/stop, I tried filling it but as soon as I opened the fill hole fluid started coming out of it. I assume the remaining fluid of the 6-7 qt capacity was in the torque converter.

9. Took me a total of 2 hrs to do all of the above. I kept the car on all 4 jacks when I started/stopped it.

Hope this helps anybody thinking about doing this job. It really is not tough at all...just make sure you have a good tool to maneuver the mechatronics sleeve!
Appreciate 0
      04-01-2013, 05:33 PM   #68
robc1976
DIYER
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_SDP View Post
Finally was able to find the time to complete this DIY. I would say its a medium job where the only challenging part is the mechatronics sleeve replacement.

1. Jacking up the car and draining the fluid was very easy.

2. Removing the pan bolts and pan was easy. Just unscrew them and pull the pan down (and all the fluid with it!!!)

3. Removing the retaining clip to the mechatronics sleeve was easy. I used a flat head screw driver to do this.

4. Unlocking the sleeve was easy too...just pull the locking mechanism down.

5. Removing the sleeve was a bit challenging. Luckily, I had a tool that is sort of like some really long tweezers that are very rigid. This helps grab the sleeve after it has been unlocked to pull it out of the hole. It is even more helpful when setting the new sleeve and pushing it far enough back into the hole to lock it in place (via the locking mechanism). Since it is very difficult to get your fingers up in that area to grab/move/push/re-orient the sleeve, a tweezer like tool makes it much easier.

6. Putting the new pan and bolts back in was easy. I cleaned the mating surface with some 'sandpaper-like' wipes to get any debris that could potentially cause long term damage to the pan gasket.

7. Filling the the trans with new fluid was easy, just a little messing when the fluid started overflowing after 3 'start/stop and fills'.

8. I ended up only filling about 3.5 to 4 qts of fluid. Each time I started the car I let it run for 15 mins. After the last start/stop, I tried filling it but as soon as I opened the fill hole fluid started coming out of it. I assume the remaining fluid of the 6-7 qt capacity was in the torque converter.

9. Took me a total of 2 hrs to do all of the above. I kept the car on all 4 jacks when I started/stopped it.

Hope this helps anybody thinking about doing this job. It really is not tough at all...just make sure you have a good tool to maneuver the mechatronics sleeve!
I got 7 quarts in? Probably due to my car sitting for 24 hours draining lol!
JB4 G5, Stage 3 LPFP, Stage 2 MOTIV PI, VM 6466 ST, Custom OCC W/ SS lines, ER FMIC, ER CP W/HKS BOV, M3 control arms, M3 guide rods, M3 upper links, M3 front & rear sway-bars, HPA rear toe arms, Wavetrac LSD, HPF Gen 2, DEFIV kit, KW clubsport, Delrin solid SF bushings, stoptech rotors, Rogue Tranny Mounts, 1M bumper, M3 CF hood, M3 fenders, M3 OEM sideskirts, Mtech rear bumper, CSL trunk, MORR VS8.2 rims 245/295
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2013, 08:43 PM   #69
bbog
Rep
Drives: 2006 325i

I just did the transmission oil pan and sleeve change. Now I've got three warnings:
1. "Transmission limp-homeprogram active ..... (page 130 of the owner's manual),
2. "Drive - off assistant has failed ... (page 128)
3. check engine light on.

While driving the car does not change gears. It seems to be stuck in third.

Any ideea? Any input is welcome.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      04-21-2013, 02:01 PM   #70
sammy_0559
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Garage List
2008 E93 335i  [3.66]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbog
I just did the transmission oil pan and sleeve change. Now I've got three warnings:
1. "Transmission limp-homeprogram active ..... (page 130 of the owner's manual),
2. "Drive - off assistant has failed ... (page 128)
3. check engine light on.

While driving the car does not change gears. It seems to be stuck in third.

Any ideea? Any input is welcome.

Thanks.
DON'T drive the car obviously.

Sounds like an issue with the mecatronics unit. Did you touch the prongs? You could've easily shorted it out or the plug might not be inserted properly

How many quarts of fluid did you put in it? You may be severely low
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #71
micosan
Registered
Rep
Drives: e60

Quote:

What was the tool you used and could you post a picture? I don't see a way of accessing the sleeve by hand because there is only about 1 inch wide gap between the mechatronic and the transmission tunnel.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2013, 09:00 AM   #72
Mr_SDP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by micosan View Post
What was the tool you used and could you post a picture? I don't see a way of accessing the sleeve by hand because there is only about 1 inch wide gap between the mechatronic and the transmission tunnel.
See the attached picture. The tool I used is the one with the orange handle. Sorry if the picture sucks...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 07:25 AM   #73
Mr_SDP
Private
United_States
Rep

I can't seem to pump more than 3 or 4 quarts of trans fluid in before its starts to spill out of the fill hole. I started the car and ran it about 15 mins, shifting through all the gears, but I still can't get any more fluid in. I did this several times. As soon as I unscrew the bolt over the fill hole, fluid comes gushing out. I feel like I'm losing more fluid every time I try to put more in. AND I can tell it doesn't shift as smooth as it did before, which is likely do to the fact that there not as much fluid in the trans as there was before I did this whole job. Is there a way to get more fluid in? Should I tilt the car forward to get more in? Please any help or suggestions would be great....
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2013, 06:50 PM   #74
kitesurfer
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Round n' Round

Garage List
Quote:
I can't seem to pump more than 3 or 4 quarts of trans fluid in before its starts to spill out of the fill hole. I started the car and ran it about 15 mins, shifting through all the gears, but I still can't get any more fluid in. I did this several times. As soon as I unscrew the bolt over the fill hole, fluid comes gushing out. I feel like I'm losing more fluid every time I try to put more in. AND I can tell it doesn't shift as smooth as it did before, which is likely do to the fact that there not as much fluid in the trans as there was before I did this whole job. Is there a way to get more fluid in? Should I tilt the car forward to get more in? Please any help or suggestions would be great....
I just did this recently when I changed the Mechatronic and it worked fine... Abe sure to have the car running when you go to top off the fluid, see the attached document specifically page 13 for proper fill insturctions
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 6HP21_mechatronic_replacement.pdf (1.44 MB, 947 views)
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2013, 07:40 AM   #75
Mr_SDP
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitesurfer View Post
I just did this recently when I changed the Mechatronic and it worked fine... Abe sure to have the car running when you go to top off the fluid, see the attached document specifically page 13 for proper fill insturctions
I was able to get another 2 qrts of trans fluid in with the engine running. It shifts significantly smoother now. Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2014, 02:44 PM   #76
PARCH335i
Registered
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

In preparation of your materials, include a few pan bolts (I purchased 5ea just in case). You will find at least 2 of them corroded. Best to inspect your pan bolts ahead of time.

There's a water drain tube (A/C?) In the RH transmission tunnel that drips water and collects on the rear right corner bolts. Kind of a poor design IMO. Heat from the exhaust tubes + water = corrosion over time. One bolt had corroded threads!

Tip on the mechatronics sleeve: I used a large deep-well socket with the same circumference as the sleeve. After pushing the sleeve in part way by hand, hold the socket in place then use a small pry bar on the socket against the transmission mount and the sleeve will seat nice and easy. (Oh and marking a reference spot with a silver sharpie on the old sleeve and transferring to the new is a big help! - thanks! to whomever first mentioned this.)
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2014, 08:57 PM   #77
007_e350
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i 2008 MHD'd / x5d E70

Quote:
Originally Posted by robc1976 View Post
I never trust BMW fluids ever since I used there oil....it is terrible in my opinion lol! I used redline in a lot if cars that had more power than this one lol! I just like redline...use it in my differential to!
I thought it's a range rover fluid
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2015, 10:37 AM   #78
FFR3713
Rep
Drives: 07 335

Bought this: http://www.ecstuning.com/BMW-E90-335...ion/ES2713598/ ,because it was in stock and I did not want to wait. And the company sells a gasket/filter kit: http://www.autoteile.de/en/product/l.../V20-0586.html

Last edited by FFR3713; 02-22-2015 at 07:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2015, 05:57 PM   #79
roadkillrob
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 335i,22 X3M, 2012 C63 Black

Nice DIY, did it today to replace Mechatronics sleeve - I ended up removing the rear trans mount, gives a bit more room to work.

One not on the original instructions, it is correct in the updated info on filling the trans, but the last point that you check the fluid level at 40 celcius, that is with the car running in park with trans at 40 celcius - if you shut off the car, it will overflow a bunch of fluid out the filler as the oil lever is higher than the filler hole when not running, when running there is less oil in the pan, so ensure you are checking running in Park.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 02:57 PM   #80
WiL335i
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i Coupe Alpine White

Here's a good video of a mechatronic sleeve installation being performed on a Ford vehicle. The transmission on this one is also made by ZF just named differently compared to BMW. This will give you an idea how to replace it.

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2016, 11:15 PM   #81
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i

Only 4.5 quarts in

Today I changed the oil. - It drained 4 quarts -
But I can't seem to fill in no more than 4.5 quarts(just the oil, reusing old pan).

Before the job began, I drove about 5 miles per online instructions.
Then got into garage, jacked up on 4 jack stands and began to drain.
It came out about 4 quarts.

Then proceeded to fill in. With engine off, filled in about 3.5qts till it over flow.
Then started engine and pumped in about 1 more quart.
Shifting the gears seemed to do nothing to suck up any more, as it still over flow.

So all in all about 4.5 quarts filled in. I had the engine idle for 5-10 min and used temp gun and saw pan temp 115F deg.

What's going on?
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:24 AM   #82
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

OK so I said yesterday that I filled in with old stash of Castrol Transmax Multi-Vehicle of 4.5 quartz that I had them sitting in my garage which is from before the new formula and that supports BMW etc.

I went to Walmart and they have it but now it seems like new formula that doesn't support BMW or Mercedes or any european cars for that matter anymore. I still bought 2 quarts just to be safe.

Then learned that there's alternative Peak Multi-Vehicle ATF.

I'm gonna try to put in 2 more quarts in but I'm wondering if "mixing" Peak with Castrol is OK?
Or mixing the old Castrol formula with new Castrol that doesn't support BMW?

Off topic: I'm gonna think twice about buying BMW in the future. If Cadillac or Lexus or some other makers that has performance/luxury and easier to maintain, I'll jump ship. Nothing is straight forward with BMW or Euro cars in general. It's no wonder people sell their bimmers when the warranty runs out.
I'm a competent home mechanic btw.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2016, 12:29 AM   #83
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I was able to get another 2 qrts of trans fluid in with the engine running. It shifts significantly smoother now. Thanks!
Hey SDP, I did the job exactly like you did...filled with engine running.
Did you have to drive around and then check again? Is that when it took 2 more quarts in?
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 07:51 PM   #84
Kenneykickin
///Kenney
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 335i / 06 330xi

This is a great write up, sorry to bring back a old thread.

I just did my pan and filter change, and when I went to put new pan on and filled with new fluid

I lowered the car to start it to go through the gears and my shifter moves freely!?? It won't go out of park but I can move the shifter.

What did I do wrong?

2006 330xi / sedan / black and saddle brown / sport, cold weather & premium / stock - mine! ( purchased 04/01/2014 )
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2016, 09:49 PM   #85
2fast4
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Maybe shifter got knocked out of place?
Check under the car near the oil pan area for cable.
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2016, 09:55 AM   #86
AndyW
Supreme Galactic Commander (one galaxy over...)
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93, '12 E82, '13 E93 M3

Thx for this DIY. I had mine done at the dealership 17K ago but wanted to check my level per the Bentley manual (which tracks with the DIY here). My question is this: How long does the car need to stay in each manual gear? I ask because my car auto downshifts to M2 after about a second in any higher gear. Anyone else experience this behavior? I have it happen while driving too...when engine RPM's get too low in M, it downshifts.
Is this a feature of the Alpina transmission flash or the stock flash as well? I say all this because I probably had 8-10 oz of fluid gush out when I opened the fill port but it died down to a trickle. But now I am concerned that I am underfilled. Bentley manual has "helpful" terms like "briefly" for the shifts and "slow trickle" for the fluid when full. Thx for any insight anyone has.

'12 E82-PS2,Stoptechs,Clubsports+M3 bits,Accusump,Wagner DP+EVO III FMIC,ERCP,BMS Intake,Mason Strut Bar,Wedge Tune
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2016, 02:30 PM   #87
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

I did not do my homework well and changed the pan/filter/gasket and unfortunately did not change the mechantronic sealing sleeve. So guess what's leaking now after 3 weeks? I feel like punching my self hard in the you-know-where.
Appreciate 0
      09-24-2016, 07:38 PM   #88
musa
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F86, E92, E53, E39.

Nice video for removing and installing the mechatronic.

PDF with detailed instructions for removing and installing mechatronic.
http://www.thectsc.com/images/pdf/th...eplacement.pdf

Last edited by musa; 09-25-2016 at 06:59 AM..
Appreciate 0