E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > My Riss Racing Downpipe + intake

06-04-2009, 03:51 PM   #1
USCRooЯ
Bong rips all fucken day.
Rep
Drives: 335i

Thumbs up My Riss Racing Downpipe + intake

Just got my riss racing dps and intake installed by Riss Racing in Santa Ana, CA.

First off, great guys. they know what they are talking about, and they have the numbers and products to back it up.

shop is always hard at work, constantly coming up with new parts and improving on existing ones.

I was in the market for DPs and checked out all competitors, when I asked riss about their downpipes, i noticed that their design was better than the rest.

They taper from 3 -> 2.75 -> 2.5 as opposed to the others that go straight from 3 -> 2.5.

this reduces back pressure, and in regards to fitment. it took them only 1.5 hours to do the install. so if you are good at installing DPs shouldnt take more than 2-3 hours i assume. if you dont know what your doing its gonna take long regardless.. for example i dont know what im doing, thats why its better to get things installed at the source. (for me)

The downpipes just pull right away. they are immediately noticeable and got faster as they broke in.

next to a tune, i think this is the best mod you could do. they are well priced, and worth every penny.

on to the intake.

ive had a DCI before, and the AFE. I realized after talking to riss why this design doesnt give you as much power as it should.

it sits in the hottest part of the engine bay. on the other hand, the RR intake sits in the coolest part.

clearly if your not heat soaking all the time, your going to have more power, and be able to produce that power over and over again.

My AFE's were actually making me lose power.

the o2 sims were also installed while i was there, and it was overall a great experience with great products.

no lights, no problems, took my car in, got it back faster than i left it. just the way i like it.

Only thing left to do is wait for them to come out with more stuff

midpipes next

(matte black grills, painted reflectors, light bulb changes, and emblems are NOT MODS)
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 03:57 PM   #2
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

so with your new mods, I'd still like to see you race Driver72 or HotRods car now. My money is still on Warren.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 03:58 PM   #3
AlpineG05
hi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White G05

i've read several posts that state RR intake makes you lose power but who knows?
      06-04-2009, 05:21 PM   #4
TreDirtyFive
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: X3 M40i

There is a dyno test that basically proves that the Riss intake lost power on a tuned car. It is somewhere on here.
      06-04-2009, 05:26 PM   #5
Diggy Diggy
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 BMW 135i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCRooЯ View Post
Can I see the dyno sheet before and after? or did you get talked into buying the rr intake?
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 06:53 PM   #6
TheTwinz
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 300Z

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
Can I see the dyno sheet before and after? or did you get talked into buying the rr intake?
I believe there are dynos of the AFE losing power somewhere in this forum. You just have to search, just like for the RR intake.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 07:18 PM   #7
alpinedevil335
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTwinz View Post
so with your new mods, I'd still like to see you race Driver72 or HotRods car now. My money is still on Warren.
Im still up for the challenge also. We now have the same mods just Different tune.Let me know.
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 07:36 PM   #8
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep
Drives: 2008 JB E92 - SOLD 5/2010

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
on to the intake.

ive had a DCI before, and the AFE. I realized after talking to riss why this design doesnt give you as much power as it should.

it sits in the hottest part of the engine bay. on the other hand, the RR intake sits in the coolest part.

clearly if your not heat soaking all the time, your going to have more power, and be able to produce that power over and over again.

I have a very difficult time in believing that the aFe intake actually caused you (or anyone else for that matter) to have a power loss. I say this after having dyno'd last summer under 92 degree heat/78% humidity & a 45 mph wind WITH the hood closed ............. AND showing a sustained 15-17 rwhp gain over the OEM intake & 8-10 rwhp gain over my former Logic HVI.

The aFe is fed a constant cold air flow via the OEM snorkle AND is placed within a heatshield. With the hood closed there is a single opening allowing for heat to reach the filters. However, that is negated with the constant cold air flow being forced to the intake. If there's an intake susceptible to heat soak it's the RR intake.

Maybe what you think is a power gain is the elevated sound of the turbos with the RR intake. The RR intake is VERY similar to the Logic HVI and that thing was loud as hell.

Logic HVI:

RR intake:

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 07:40 PM   #9
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoolin View Post
+1 ......

Appreciate 0
      06-04-2009, 11:03 PM   #10
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

I remember reading a guy dynoed his car with the rr intake, then put dci's on and gain almost 30+hp.
      06-04-2009, 11:09 PM   #11
UndergroundEuros
Banned
Rep
Drives: 335I Alphina White

Any dynos showing power lost on stett performance intake? I have one and think I might be losing some power..
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 12:56 AM   #12
bulldog_yyc
Major General
Rep
Drives: GT3RS

Quote:
Just got my riss racing dps and intake installed by Riss Racing in Santa Ana, CA.

First off, great guys. they know what they are talking about, and they have the numbers and products to back it up.

shop is always hard at work, constantly coming up with new parts and improving on existing ones.

I was in the market for DPs and checked out all competitors, when I asked riss about their downpipes, i noticed that their design was better than the rest.

They taper from 3 -> 2.75 -> 2.5 as opposed to the others that go straight from 3 -> 2.5.

this reduces back pressure, and in regards to fitment. it took them only 1.5 hours to do the install. so if you are good at installing DPs shouldnt take more than 2-3 hours i assume. if you dont know what your doing its gonna take long regardless.. for example i dont know what im doing, thats why its better to get things installed at the source. (for me)

The downpipes just pull right away. they are immediately noticeable and got faster as they broke in.

next to a tune, i think this is the best mod you could do. they are well priced, and worth every penny.

on to the intake.

the o2 sims were also installed while i was there, and it was overall a great experience with great products.

no lights, no problems, took my car in, got it back faster than i left it. just the way i like it.

midpipes next
so did you blow a super into the intake of your car to make the RR gain WHP or what????
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:41 AM   #13
shawshank772
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 135i and 16 M3

I hate to be a jerk.....But does the OP sound like a "nut swinger" for Riss Racing? I know people write reviews about products and share their input. That is no doubt a very valuable aspect of this and other sites. However, it just REALLY REALLY seems biased. Now, if I am wrong I appologize.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 01:54 AM   #14
tek818
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3M Competition

Garage List
2018 M3 ZCP  [9.50]
congrats... you went from a crappy intake to an even crappier one. Did you pick up a leaky-ass catch can too?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:23 AM   #15
USCRooЯ
Rep

dude, its really that bad?

shoulda done my research on the forum....

hahaha, whatever, ill dyno it with that and my AFE and see for myself.

(matte black grills, painted reflectors, light bulb changes, and emblems are NOT MODS)
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 02:29 AM   #16
USCRooЯ
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tek818 View Post
congrats... you went from a crappy intake to an even crappier one. Did you pick up a leaky-ass catch can too?
why are you so pissed bro?

whats your idea of a good intake?

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #17
AlpineG05
hi
Rep
Drives: Alpine White G05

DCI is the best way to go even the BMS log filter would be better but i'm just going off by what i've read on this forum.
      06-05-2009, 08:36 AM   #18
ToadHollow
Once upon a time ......
Italy
Rep

Garage List
2008 E92 335i  [8.00]
Quote:
dude, its really that bad?

shoulda done my research on the forum....

hahaha, whatever, ill dyno it with that and my AFE and see for myself.
Remember, to get an accurate dyno comparison the car will need sufficient time to adapt ....... as a general rule this would be 100 miles of drive time. 100 miles gives the car time to adapt to your driving style and the capabilities of whatever intake is installed at the time.

Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 11:50 AM   #19
645Nm
only in it for the torque - awuleth'umshini wami
South Africa
Rep
Drives: sapphire black 335i

Garage List
2009 335i sedan  [0.00]
2005 120D  [0.00]
2007 335i sedan  [0.00]
rissracing downpipes

I ran with the rissracing catless downpipes and BMS 02 sim for over a year on my previous 335 with no issues. The downpipes were easy to install and reduced backpressure as well as creating strong power with the JB3 tune. The increase in power without the tune was marginal and the rest of the exhaust was stock but the car breathed better and performed unstressed. New products have come on the market since then giving us choices between brands; catted and cattless; coated or uncoated pipes. I am not promoting a particular brand but I was happy with my purchase. I also hear good things about the AR pipes. Would not mind to try it out. But I am not so sure if a different brand will necessarily deliver MORE power.
      06-05-2009, 11:55 AM   #20
Vacek
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 X3

Quote:

on to the intake.

midpipes next
Sales Pitch?
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 12:03 PM   #21
RambleJ
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F10 535i M-sport

Here is the thread that talks about the gain from switching the RR intake to the DCI.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=260272
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2009, 12:22 PM   #22
Terrance28
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Crimson Red E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by sports4players View Post
Any dynos showing power lost on stett performance intake? I have one and think I might be losing some power..
I don't think you lost any power with the stett. I'm going off of the data and logs that a member did on both the dci's and the stett.