F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > General F30 Sedan / F32 Coupe / F36 Gran Coupe Forum > The Automatic Transmission learns your driving style.
proTUNING Freaks

05-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #1
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: F30 328i Luxury - Sport Auto

The Automatic Transmission learns your driving style.

But how? What does it change? It must only implement its knowledge of the driver in "D" and "DS" musn't it? Can't change much in Manual mode can it!?

What could it learn? I need to learn it firstly!

Applies for both Standard Auto and Sport Auto.

Gone: 2006 BMW E60 520d SE 6MT
Gone: 2009 BMW E90-LCI 330d SE 6MT
Current: 2012 F30 328i Luxury 8AT
On Order: 2015 Audi A6 Avant Ultra, Black Edition (sorry!)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:15 PM   #2
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123 View Post
But how? What does it change? It must only implement its knowledge of the driver in "D" and "DS" musn't it? Can't change much in Manual mode can it!?

BMW auto transmissions have been adapting to driver inputs for many years. Using such titles as Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM).

This is my understanding after looking at many documents on 'Adaptation' to driver type. It doesn't strictly learn your style, but adapts to, and selects the most appropriate programme to suit how you drive. Change to another style and it adapts within a few seconds, if not instantly if you make agressive inputs, like rapid throttle or brake movements. Each generation obviously gets more advanced features, what the 8-speed has over the 6-speed I've yet to read, but the 6-speed adaptive features are well documented.

For the 6-speed autos, the driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill. So nothing in memory.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #3
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighlandPete View Post
BMW auto transmissions have been adapting to driver inputs for many years. Using such titles as Adaptive Transmission Management (ATM).

This is my understanding after looking at many documents on 'Adaptation' to driver type. It doesn't strictly learn your style, but adapts to, and selects the most appropriate programme to suit how you drive. Change to another style and it adapts within a few seconds, if not instantly if you make agressive inputs, like rapid throttle or brake movements. Each generation obviously gets more advanced features, what the 8-speed has over the 6-speed I've yet to read, but the 6-speed adaptive features are well documented.

For the 6-speed autos, the driver-type adaptation is restarted each time the vehicle pulls away from a standstill. So nothing in memory.

HighlandPete
Ahh I see...
I suppose the driving mode (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport + - the name of the button has just escaped me - Drive Performance Control? Mind blank!) will manually influence the transmission adaptation.

Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 05:01 PM   #4
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Ahh I see...
I suppose the driving mode (Eco Pro, Comfort, Sport, Sport + - the name of the button has just escaped me - Drive Performance Control? Mind blank!) will manually influence the transmission adaptation.
I imagine so, as something like the old "kick-fast" function would be difficult, with the elastic band throttle action of Eco-Pro.

I've got a feeling the subtle differences will mean a very sensitive driver will feel his/her car is behaving differently every time you drive, according to what you switch/configure and if you adjust your style a bit.

Personally not to sure on "transmission control with foresight" if it is more advanced than the "cornering detection" that I have in my 6-speed.

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 06:35 PM   #5
BMWrules7
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2015, 740 LdX, Alpine White

Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123

It's BMW's sorry excuse to explain the inexplicable latency from the time you hit the gas until the car actually responds.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 07:38 PM   #6
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Quote:

Automatic transmissions use hydraulically applied clutches. Shift timing can be controlled by hydraulic pressure, increasing hydraulic pressure will make the shifts faster (clutch application faster). Modern automatic transmissions use input and output speed sensors on the gear set(s) that allow the transmission controller to “know” the amount of slippage and when the shift has completed. The ECU can adjust the hydraulic pressure using an electronic pressure control valve (EPC).

As the transmission friction clutches wear the “fill time” for the shift to complete will change, but with the “self-healing” ability the transmission should shift the same. When the transmission is replaced or rebuilt the adaption values are cleared to allow the ECU to begin the correction process again and the transmission will go through the “relearn” process. Through the process of sensing and adjusting the ECU will create adaption values to allow the transmission to shift consistently during its life.

Having electronic pressure control also allows the transmissions to have several personalities with the push of a button, movement of the shifter, or full throttle signal. The old days transmissions only used two inputs, Vehicle speed and Load (throttle position) which didn’t provide much adaptability. If you wanted a snappy shifting transmission you had to install a shift kit and live with that mode…..today you can just select the mode for your mood.

See also:
http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/200...transmissions/

Ken Welch
Instructor Automatic Transmissions
Saddleback College
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2012, 09:34 PM   #7
kenwelch
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 M3 M-DCT & 2017 440GC

Here is another link for more infomation:
http://www.bimmerboard.com/forums/posts/713335
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2012, 06:31 AM   #8
SomeRandomer123
Colonel
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWrules7
Quote:
Originally Posted by SomeRandomer123

It's BMW's sorry excuse to explain the inexplicable latency from the time you hit the gas until the car actually responds.
Ha!

Appreciate 0