BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

Mporium BMW

11-11-2009, 08:15 PM   #45
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3Kernow View Post
I've done quite a lot of research into these upgrades for the M3. My overall decision is to go with the stroker route (its gonna be a while before i do the conversion though as Christmas is coming so I know the bank account is going to get emptied by the misses). It seems the best value for to me, the RD Stroker also includes the complete exhaust system which wouldn't come with the FI kits. RTEM, Metal Cats, X-Pipe and Backboxes have a value of around 10k

Not when its blown up though eh? And i'm not sure even when its running correctly it would, added weight to the front end would throw off the handling of the car.

Any vids of FI against the Stroker at the track or anything???

Do you really wanna turn your M into an American Muscle car or keep it as the European Sports coupe it was designed to be? Sorry, but the pros for a stroker are you are not only keeping the original characteristics of the M (one of the main reasons I purchased mine) but also the reliability that FI is and never will be known for.

Out of interest has anyone with the S65 stroker encountered any problems?
LOL cute so you think because G-power had a problem with their tune that somehow that will be the case with all the other kits? First of all if the kit is tuned properly and running properly and maintened there is no reason an FI M3 shouldn't last an easy 80k Miles on the stock motor and I'm sure it could last much longer in reality. And by that time I dont think alot of people even have their cars.

Also even if half the owners of stroker cars even knew how to drive their cars hard enough to even possibly notice the supposed extra weight on the front of the car they would still get trounced on the track thats guranteed. You're not even dramatically changing the weight bias, that statement is absurd were not talking adding enough weight to front of the car to change the balance to something silly it will maybe be at worst 53/47 (stock is 52.2/48.8 or similiar )and if you were really into having a lightweight cars you probably wouldnt have bought an M3 in the first place so gimme a break.

Bottomline you're not ever going to see a stroker M3 beat the times of a FI M3 on any track cept maybe an Autocross or something where you can't even use the power of the S/C and my opinion that doesn't even count.

Also who cares if you get an exhaust and all that as part of the cost in a FI kit, it would still make more power and destroy the stroker car besides for the money you're saving you can buy all that and still have money left over so how is that more valueable? are you serious lol?

WTF does American muscle have to do with FI are you really being serious?

All I know is the strokers really have good tourqe (for a small rpm range) and thats about the only positive it has over a Full Bolt on M3. And where it makes tourqe isn't nesscessarily better for the track if you're high in the rev range. Anyway to the OP get a FI kit or just go full bolt on if you're gonna have your car for life or over 100k miles and dont want to rebuild then which alot of people would do anyway after having the FI on a stock motor for that long.

I personally think If I'm dropping over 25K+ on a motor it better be able to do 10's And that will never happen with a stroker alone.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:19 PM   #46
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Tightie's Gpower kit may still be for sale- with the warranty
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 08:28 PM   #47
MrHarris
yodog
United_States
Rep
Drives: '86 Corolla

Garage List
2009 BMW  [10.00]
If you put all the available bolt-ons you'll be right around 490-500crank hp.

2009 E92 M3 | Alpine White | Black Extended | Advan RS | Turner Test Pipes | Dinan Axle-Back | OETuning | Eibach Springs | UUC SSK | VRS Front Lip | VRS Type I Diffuser | Matte Black | RPi Scoops | MS Filter | Yokohama AD08 | F1 Pinnacle
Special Thanks: Gintani | OETuning | eAs
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:12 PM   #48
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Prancing Horse

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinD View Post
holy hell... 28,000 dollars for a little less then 100hp increase? i guess bang for your buck isn't really a term in the BMW dictionary?

my evo makes 500whp and i haven't even spent 10k on it yet
You couldn't pay me to drive an evo. Id be the laughing stock of the boardroom meetings. I'm not 20 anymore. Our intern who working in the mail room has one . I went for a ride it to get lunch one day.

Very fast, 0 sophistication.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMD0977 View Post
The RD Sport stroker price also includes header, full exhaust, ECU tune, and labor.
With Dinan, for $26K you only get the motor. None of the things I mentioned above.
+1 I did not know that!!!

Dinan does not come with exhaust.
      11-11-2009, 09:20 PM   #49
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
OP, what do you want the extra HP for? .
I definitely would like more bottom end torque. Neck snap and push you in the seat. Around town I would like to have torque for almost any gear. Sometimes find myself in the wrong gear.

I don't care about loud exhaust, straight race pipes and all that. If I could make it more of a sleeper then Id really like that as well. Most people go bananas and try to catch up the F430 Scuderia all the time. I think it would be funny like a member with the RD stroker said, "its funny to see the looks on the vette drivers faces when they arent catching up to what appears to be a completely stock m3"

I dont race on the street, but my quest is for torque.

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
I had a C6 Z06 and loved it. However, ultimately, I felt it was too much for daily-driver use even in OEM trim.

P.S. If I were to go "nuts" and try to push the S65, it would be stroker, or nothing.

I blame the ZR-1 in my quest for more torque. Yes I could have made that car insane. I know i know. But I love the workmanship of the BMW
      11-11-2009, 09:23 PM   #50
330CIZHP
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 330 CI ZHP

That is pretty amazing. I respect that. You should definitely modify your M3 and don't listen to "why you want to modify your M3?". Afterall, that is what tuning is all about that you make your car distinctly your own with characteristics injected you would like to see in there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Optherion View Post
I definitely would like more bottom end torque. I don't care about loud exhaust, straight race pipes and all that. If I could make it more of a sleeper then Id really like that as well. Most people go bananas and try to catch up the F430 Scuderia all the time. I think it would be funny like a member with the RD stroker said, "its funny to see the looks on the vette drivers faces when they arent catching up to what appears to be a completely stock m3"

- Lamborghini on turbocharging
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 09:44 PM   #51
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Quote:
I definitely would like more bottom end torque. Neck snap and push you in the seat. Around town I would like to have torque for almost any gear. Sometimes find myself in the wrong gear.

I don't care about loud exhaust, straight race pipes and all that. If I could make it more of a sleeper then Id really like that as well. Most people go bananas and try to catch up the F430 Scuderia all the time. I think it would be funny like a member with the RD stroker said, "its funny to see the looks on the vette drivers faces when they arent catching up to what appears to be a completely stock m3"

I blame the ZR-1 in my quest for more torque. Yes I could have made that car insane. I know i know. But I love the workmanship of the BMW
Yes, I know. After all, I'm also driving an M3 now, and not a Z06 or ZR1, despite their very desirable characteristics.

However, my real point, in a long post, from which you only quoted a sentence or two, is that there is no explaining why people do what they do to OEM cars. It's not about "sensible," or what performance you can get for less. As I said (or tried to say), it's about what makes the hobby fun for people like us.
      11-11-2009, 10:00 PM   #52
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
Yes, I know. After all, I'm also driving an M3 now, and not a Z06 or ZR1, despite their very desirable characteristics.

However, my real point, in a long post, from which you only quoted a sentence or two, is that there is no explaining why people do what they do to OEM cars. It's not about "sensible," or what performance you can get for less. As I said (or tried to say), it's about what makes the hobby fun for people like us.
True, I realize putting a stroker motor into my car or supercharger could easily cost as much as a Mitsubishi EVO. Might seem far from sensible. Call me insane, I just love my M
      11-11-2009, 10:43 PM   #53
disruptv
Major
Rep
Drives: 3M

Garage List
09 3m  [0.00]
Quote:
True, I realize putting a stroker motor into my car or supercharger could easily cost as much as a Mitsubishi EVO. Might seem far from sensible. Call me insane, I just love my M
well good luck

you have great taste in cars so im sure you will make a great decision in terms of the direction you ultimately choose

Personally, I would do an ESS supercharger kit or custom turbo
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 10:50 PM   #54
Groundhog
Private
Rep
Drives: R-compounded

Quote:
You couldn't pay me to drive an evo. Id be the laughing stock of the boardroom meetings. I'm not 20 anymore. Our intern who working in the mail room has one . I went for a ride it to get lunch one day.

Very fast, 0 sophistication.

So it's about bragging rights in the board room?

And you don't think they'll call your M3 a glorified 3 series?

As far as neck snap, that's more torque, than hp. I've been chasing that feeling since I was a teenager when my girlfriend had '67 427 big block 'vette. There is just nothing like it for a first impression, but it's funny how quickly accustomed one becomes to it.

If you track, those modified evos will eat your lunch if you leave the rest of the car semi stock.

Have you thought about "rally cats" for another dozen+ hp and wider/ r-rated tires for more grip under hard acceleration?
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 11:01 PM   #55
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Groundhog View Post
So it's about bragging rights in the board room?

And you don't think they'll call your M3 a glorified 3 series?

If you track, those modified evos will eat your lunch if you leave the rest of the car semi stock.
lol perhaps my sarcasm goes unnoticed over the internet. Actually we give the interns in the mail room so much shit. Sure the guy has a 500hp evo that supposedly runs 700hp on race gas, but whos car do u think he wants to ride shotgun in when it comes time to go across town for a meeting

I know those evos are incredibly fast, but so is a mustang cobra with a pulley and exhaust, so is a twin turbo c6 for far less than a ZR-1. etc etc. This isnt about who I can beat for the money, If i wanted to beat everyone id get back into riding Ducati's

Back on topic, havent heard anything about the ESS supercharger kit and I am also following VF closely on their install. Does anyone with a supercharger have any regrets? JonMartin !! Thank you for your long post above lol. Spoken truly from someone who has shelled 25k out of their pocket. Thats the type of response I was hoping for. Someone who's been down the supercharger road. Realistically how much do you think it would cost me for 500whp / 400 ftlbs torque. S/C and exhaust and tune with autotalent?
      11-11-2009, 11:10 PM   #56
KonigsTiger
Racying Dynamics
Rep
Drives: E92M3 RS46 Club Sport, others

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
LOL cute so you think because G-power had a problem with their tune that somehow that will be the case with all the other kits? First of all if the kit is tuned properly and running properly and maintened there is no reason an FI M3 shouldn't last an easy 80k Miles on the stock motor and I'm sure it could last much longer in reality. And by that time I dont think alot of people even have their cars.

Also even if half the owners of stroker cars even knew how to drive their cars hard enough to even possibly notice the supposed extra weight on the front of the car they would still get trounced on the track thats guranteed. You're not even dramatically changing the weight bias, that statement is absurd were not talking adding enough weight to front of the car to change the balance to something silly it will maybe be at worst 53/47 (stock is 52.2/48.8 or similiar )and if you were really into having a lightweight cars you probably wouldnt have bought an M3 in the first place so gimme a break.

Bottomline you're not ever going to see a stroker M3 beat the times of a FI M3 on any track cept maybe an Autocross or something where you can't even use the power of the S/C and my opinion that doesn't even count.

Also who cares if you get an exhaust and all that as part of the cost in a FI kit, it would still make more power and destroy the stroker car besides for the money you're saving you can buy all that and still have money left over so how is that more valueable? are you serious lol?

WTF does American muscle have to do with FI are you really being serious?

All I know is the strokers really have good tourqe (for a small rpm range) and thats about the only positive it has over a Full Bolt on M3. And where it makes tourqe isn't nesscessarily better for the track if you're high in the rev range. Anyway to the OP get a FI kit or just go full bolt on if you're gonna have your car for life or over 100k miles and dont want to rebuild then which alot of people would do anyway after having the FI on a stock motor for that long.

I personally think If I'm dropping over 25K+ on a motor it better be able to do 10's And that will never happen with a stroker alone.
Jesus H. Christ Jonmartin I sense a lot of animosity in your tone. I suppose that is fine but there are other ways you can express all your issues with the stroker. What ever did it do to you?
      11-11-2009, 11:16 PM   #57
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Since there are no stroker vs supercharged m3 videos, maybe someone knows their best trap times. I am curious the trap times for the supercharged and stroker M3's compared to stock.
      11-11-2009, 11:35 PM   #58
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

on the 21st there is a private drag day...i know some fully modded N/A m3s and some SC'd ones will be there.
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2009, 11:57 PM   #59
aus
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Odysse

Quote:

Or just get a 335 with catless down pipes, exhaust, intake and a tune. It'll be a torque monster. Change out the suspension to the M3 arms/bushings and you'll have a total sleeper.

Quote:
Realistically how much do you think it would cost me for 500whp / 400 ftlbs torque. S/C and exhaust and tune with autotalent?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=317272
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:27 AM   #60
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KonigsTiger View Post
Jesus H. Christ Jonmartin I sense a lot of animosity in your tone. I suppose that is fine but there are other ways you can express all your issues with the stroker. What ever did it do to you?
LOL its really not that serious. I don't really care to be honest I just say what I feel is the truth.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:48 AM   #61
Jonmartin
Banned
United_States
Rep

Quote:
lol perhaps my sarcasm goes unnoticed over the internet. Actually we give the interns in the mail room so much shit. Sure the guy has a 500hp evo that supposedly runs 700hp on race gas, but whos car do u think he wants to ride shotgun in when it comes time to go across town for a meeting

I know those evos are incredibly fast, but so is a mustang cobra with a pulley and exhaust, so is a twin turbo c6 for far less than a ZR-1. etc etc. This isnt about who I can beat for the money, If i wanted to beat everyone id get back into riding Ducati's

Back on topic, havent heard anything about the ESS supercharger kit and I am also following VF closely on their install. Does anyone with a supercharger have any regrets? JonMartin !! Thank you for your long post above lol. Spoken truly from someone who has shelled 25k out of their pocket. Thats the type of response I was hoping for. Someone who's been down the supercharger road. Realistically how much do you think it would cost me for 500whp / 400 ftlbs torque. S/C and exhaust and tune with autotalent?
Another kit you should look into is the Gintani supercharger Sammyrusso's car made 512whp with 91 octane on a Dyno Dynamics you can tell them to turn the boost down to make a lil less if thats too much for you. Btw I didn't pay $25k I was refering to the Stroker options and the G-power isn't that expensive from Autotalent. If you really want a G-power get tighties used kit for sale or talk to Gintani imo. Their kit is highly over engineered and a great value for the money. If I end up keeping my car I will probably get their kit eventually because I think its the best one compared to the other competition and you can't beat Gintani's customer service.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 12:51 AM   #62
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonmartin View Post
Another kit you should look into is the Gintani supercharger Sammyrusso's car made 512whp with 91 octane on a Dyno Dynamics you can tell them to turn the boost down to make a lil less if thats too much for you. Btw I didn't pay $25k I was refering to the Stroker options and the G-power isn't that expensive from Autotalent. If you really want a G-power get tighties used kit for sale or talk to Gintani imo. Their kit is highly over engineered and a great value for the money. If I end up keeping my car I will probably get their kit eventually because I think its the best one compared to the other competition and you can't beat Gintani's customer service.
I have been in talk with tightie back before I started this thread That is most likely my option. Going to check in with some guys at autotalent about install. 512hp too much? never lol.
      11-12-2009, 12:56 AM   #63
Optherion
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sammyrusso View Post
on the 21st there is a private drag day...i know some fully modded N/A m3s and some SC'd ones will be there.
I am waiting to see some videos and reviews when you have your car sammy! I might be going the same route as you

I noticed you have the 3f front lip. I am looking for one to get for my car!
      11-12-2009, 01:21 AM   #64
TheKosherStogie
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 DCT AW/Red

^ i agree! Last 3 post, thumbs up!
BW C13 - 1:57:2
ACS - 1:49:6
WSIR - 1:30:6
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 01:59 AM   #65
spyderco10
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW E92 M3 6MT

get a dodge viper
- John 3:16
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2009, 02:32 AM   #66
tightie
JOSH SHOKRI.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3RS, 964, Raptor

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [7.90]
Quote:
Originally Posted by disruptv View Post
well good luck

you have great taste in cars so im sure you will make a great decision in terms of the direction you ultimately choose

Personally, I would do an ESS supercharger kit or custom turbo
I'm curious, why would you would pick ESS? It is because they offer a kit that is 9 grand with no cooling? I don't know about you but theres no way in hell I'm putting boost in my car without a cooling system.

Custom turbo? Where are you going to fit turbos into this car? There is literally no room unless you want to start cutting the body of the car and I really doubt people will start cutting the body of their brand new 70k car.