F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Metel folding roofs ruiend BMW's?
Extreme Powerhouse

11-11-2008, 09:37 AM   #45
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 BMW X5

I've had both and can tell you that there's a world of difference with a folding hardtop in terms of noise reduction and overall sense of security. I'm willing to pay the additional cost/weight penalty, which I feel is well worth it. But there are purists or enthusiasts (more pure and enthusiastic than I am) who would argue the virtues of the ragtop. The "romance" of the soft-top, as Mercedes would say. If properly done, a soft-top can look good and function well.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:07 AM   #46
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 COUPE

Nice roof..

http://www.bmw.co.za/products/automo...esign_roof.jpg
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:07 AM   #47
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3MIKE View Post
thank you for finding a pic of the profile! god I couldn't find one anywhere. but yeah, this is why I like softtop roofs. you can also see how there's only a slight kink at the rear (mainly because the roof is so low and doesn't require one).
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 11:43 AM   #48
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

The 6-series has a very nice soft-top profile. The flying buttress feature is certainly unique.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:20 PM   #49
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

A hard top is practical for those of us that actually have a winter. Hardtops give much more structural rigidity when closed than softtops. Finally, I personally think softtops look cheesy.

As far as the seams, other than auto enthusiasts such as those of us here, most people who have seen my new 'vert don't realize it is a 'vert unless I point it out to them or obviously have the top down.

I have both e90 and e93 335's. I would not have bought the e93 with a softtop, unless I also got a bolt-on hardtop.

Personally, I think anyone that buys a 6 series needs to have their head examined. The 6 offers nothing over the 3.

PS When does someone offer a CF folding roof so we can have the best of both worlds

Last edited by sdiver68; 11-11-2008 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 12:35 PM   #50
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver68 View Post
Personally, I think anyone that buys a 6 series needs to have their head examined. The 6 offers nothing over the 3.
That statement only makes sense from a performance-minded point of view. The 6 offers a far more luxurious interior, and a far better ride. It's more of a GT than the 3er.

I'd take a new 650i over an e93 335i. I wouldn't take it over an e93 M3, but it's not a bad car by any means whatsoever.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:03 PM   #51
Barmats
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
A hard top is practical for those of us that actually have a winter. Hardtops give much more structural rigidity when closed than softtops.
+1 It's a much more secure feeling, but it's also A LOT quieter than a soft-top. I never had drafts in my ragtops (TT and 350Z) but it was noisy.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 03:18 PM   #52
Buschy
Colonel
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

My wife and kids didnt even know my car was a vert, haha.
      11-11-2008, 03:37 PM   #53
sdiver68
Expert Road Racer
Rep
Drives: 07 335i e90, 09 335i e93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
That statement only makes sense from a performance-minded point of view. The 6 offers a far more luxurious interior, and a far better ride. It's more of a GT than the 3er.

I'd take a new 650i over an e93 335i. I wouldn't take it over an e93 M3, but it's not a bad car by any means whatsoever.
Perhaps I don't get the meaning of luxury then. The 3 is bigger, faster, has a hard top convertible, and can be loaded with almost every luxury feature.

If by luxurious you mean a few more "soft touch" pieces, then why not get an Audi or MB. If by luxury you mean you spent more to get less, than a 911 or Aston would better fit the bill.

I guess I really, really don't get the 6 series.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 04:59 PM   #54
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Isn't there rumors that the new 6 series vert will have a hardtop as well!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:04 PM   #55
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Perhaps I don't get the meaning of luxury then. The 3 is bigger, faster, has a hard top convertible, and can be loaded with almost every luxury feature.

If by luxurious you mean a few more "soft touch" pieces, then why not get an Audi or MB. If by luxury you mean you spent more to get less, than a 911 or Aston would better fit the bill.

I guess I really, really don't get the 6 series.
Everything is better besides interior dimensions, fuel economy and performance. It has a much better ride thanks to the long wheelbase. It has much better leather (which you can also opt for extended). It has better looking trim. It has nicer interior details. Everything feels MUCH stronger and of higher quality. Nothing squeaks like in my e92. It has a HUD. It also has plenty of other frivolous (read: useless) things too, like a varying tach. Hell, even the paddles look nicer (and feel better).

It's a far better cruiser, and it's just plain more luxurious. I don't know how else to explain it. Just sit in one. Everything's more svelte.

You know the point of diminishing returns right? The 3 series is right at the tip of it, and then you have everything else where you're gonna pay a lot more for not much more.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 05:34 PM   #56
darkphantom
Banned
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

As an E93 owner, I love the hard top, and was my primary reason for getting it! The reason for this is, no one can really "slash" your top since it isn't made out of cloth, and additionally, you're much warmer in the winter. While I agree the lines don't flow like the coupe, it doesn't look too bad. I love the look of it top down and once I get a few cosmetic mods....it'll look much better.

Like most have said, technology ftw...even ferrari has a hard top now!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:26 PM   #57
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Z4M

i have never owner anything but a convertible, and have alway thought that a true convertible must have a cloth top... period. i think of the metal folding tops the same way i do of the new paddle/semi-manual/whatever you call them transmissions.... amazing pieces of technology that are taking all the fun out of actually driving the car and connecting with the road. sure the new transmissions shift faster, and the metal roofs are quieter... but where is the fun in that? give me an old-fashioned stick shift with a cloth top any day over the alternative.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 06:59 PM   #58
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtoB View Post
i have never owner anything but a convertible, and have alway thought that a true convertible must have a cloth top... period. i think of the metal folding tops the same way i do of the new paddle/semi-manual/whatever you call them transmissions.... amazing pieces of technology that are taking all the fun out of actually driving the car and connecting with the road. sure the new transmissions shift faster, and the metal roofs are quieter... but where is the fun in that? give me an old-fashioned stick shift with a cloth top any day over the alternative.
Whats fun about a cloth roof over your head?????
      11-11-2008, 07:17 PM   #59
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buschy View Post
Whats fun about a cloth roof over your head?????
how if feels to the touch, the way the cloth contrasts the metal body, the beautiful color combinations you get to chose from, the sound of the road and wind at speed... the overall experience.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 07:57 PM   #60
watrob
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: MY2022 X5 M-Sport 45e White

Garage List
Quote:
how if feels to the touch, the way the cloth contrasts the metal body, the beautiful color combinations you get to chose from, the sound of the road and wind at speed... the overall experience.

Gee man, you have to sell that T Model Ford before it falls apart!

MY22 X5 M-Sport 45e White, 22"rims, Red Calipers, Ceramic Pads. Better off saying what it does not have and that's a B&O Audio System, otherwise all option boxes are ticked.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 08:02 PM   #61
AtoB
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by watrob View Post
Gee man, you have to sell that T Model Ford before it falls apart!
i know.... i'm becoming a nostalgic old man.
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 09:48 PM   #62
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
A hard top is practical for those of us that actually have a winter. Hardtops give much more structural rigidity when closed than softtops. Finally, I personally think softtops look cheesy.

As far as the seams, other than auto enthusiasts such as those of us here, most people who have seen my new 'vert don't realize it is a 'vert unless I point it out to them or obviously have the top down.

I have both e90 and e93 335's. I would not have bought the e93 with a softtop, unless I also got a bolt-on hardtop.

PS When does someone offer a CF folding roof so we can have the best of both worlds
Is there doctor in the house?.. I had/have 645 vert then traded for M6 vert
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2008, 10:32 PM   #63
rouxeny
Living the aloha
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I really like a hard top. Yes, the lines aren't as clean as the coupe. Yes, the performance isn't as good.

But, I've NEVER driven my car to the maximum 10/10th's of it's performance ability. The closest I came with my Z was on the track, and even then, it was clear that my driving limitations were far more significant than the car's. On the public streets, if you hit 3/4 of your car's capability, you're well into the ticket revocation range and doubtlessly well into the "fun" range. I don't drive like a pu**y but I also don't drive like an a55, racing every car that is next to me. So, the performance difference between the conv. and coupe in terms of real world driving is really not that great. It's nice having that on tap, but it's pretty uncommonly used. Plus, there's no track in this state, and you can't drive to another state, so that's out.

Nothing beats top down driving, and luckily I live somewhere that the average temperature year round is 82 degrees and it's sunny nearly every day. Winter is distinguished by the presence of big waves on the North Shore and changing the time difference from California from 3 hrs to 2 hrs. Snow is a rumor, ice unheard of.

I like the security that a metal top provides, along with the noise benefits.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 07:07 AM   #64
Buschy
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
well the z4 I like the soft top. its a different kinda car though, so imo, you cant compare the z4 soft top to the 3 hard.,

I think that I like the z4 better with a soft top, so I guess jsut depends what car.
      11-12-2008, 09:43 AM   #65
SlammedR8
Major General
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2019 X5 40i/2020 R8 V10 Spyder

Interesting topic...

everyone is going to have their own opinion on what looks good! But personally for me...
I was at the dealership picking out my M3 Coupe (this was before they had any E93 M3s on the lot at this point, (to my knowledge and my salesmans as well)) and we came across 3-4 E93 M3s that were just dropped off that morning. And I ACTUALLY thought, wow the Convertible looks more aggressive with its "chunkier" roof line in my opinion. And I decided to wait another 3 weeks until the exact E93 M3 I wanted was built and shipped from Germany. I honestly/truely believe that the E93 roof line looks amazing...I will post a pic below.

You get the best of both worlds, last night a few friends from LA came in to visit and I picked them up in my car, and they loved it and when I was dropping them off I mentioned it was a convertible too, they didnt even believe me. So sure enough, I dropped the top and they couldn't even believe it. ITS THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS, I dont care about the little bit of extra weight or loss of time because when it comes down to it...on a hot summer day...there is nothing like dropping your top and cruising downtown or up north or wherever it is you like to drive.

Now you guys tell me...does that roof look bad at all?
KEEP IN MIND - I have painted the ugly chrome trim around the window that ruins the 335 and M3 Convertible in my opinion.
Attached Images

2020 Audi R8 V10 Performance Spyder 6MT - Ascari Blue/Black
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2008, 10:31 AM   #66
M3MIKE
Second Lieutenant
Rep

It's the downward slope in the rear of the car and the giant rear glass. When I'm behind one at a traffic signal I can't stop staring,the way the roof meets the back of the trunk. It looks so wrong.
Appreciate 0