F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > iDrive Resetting Every 5 minutes
Extreme Powerhouse

06-12-2014, 01:05 PM   #1
danbl
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F30 320D M Sport+

iDrive Resetting Every 5 minutes

I have a MY2014 F30 that came with Professional Nav, and I have since coded EBT on top. I use both a Blackberry Q10 (work) and iPhone 5 (personal) via Bluetooth and have done so for over 2 months with no issues.

Yesterday the iDrive started "rebooting" every 5 minutes or so whilst driving along. The screen would go off then display the ConnectedDrive logo and the radio, nav and bluetooth would all stop/reset.

I finally stopped and left the car for 10 minutes but when I came back it had deleted my profile (missing from options page), so had lost all of my address book, favourites etc. I was hoping that this was the end of the "glitch" but it continued to reset for my 3 hour drive (incredibly annoying).

After a bit of troubleshooting I discovered:
  • The car does not delete the profile every restart, this has only happened once
  • With only my iPhone connected via BT everything is fine
  • With only my Q10 connected the rebooting occurs

So this is obviously somehow related to the Q10 (which I've been using fine for months), but my local BMW dealer can only offer the helpful advice of "It's not listed as fully supported on the compatibility checker".

Can anyone offer any advice? I'm currently reloading the OS on the Q10 in the hope this may improve things!
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 07:42 AM   #2
danbl
United Kingdom
Rep

Just in case anyone comes accross this thread with the same issue... a full reload/factory reset of both the Q10 and the iDrive appears to have resolved it
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 08:36 AM   #3
Halsifer
Captain
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i xDrive M-Sport

The Q10 cannot cause a reboot on your iDrive system. The bluetooth connections between a phone and the Head Unit is very minimal to what data the iDrive will gather. I would say it was the factory reset on your iDrive that did it. Also if you coded your vehicle, maybe it had something to do with a recent coding change you may have made. I would have VO coded the HU_NBT before factory resetting my Head Unit... but that's just me. Nonetheless, glad it's working again!!
2003 BMW e46 325i [Sold]
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:31 AM   #4
steve@codemybimmer
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Hong Kong
Rep

Drives: 2020 G20 320i M Sport

Garage List
You'll be surprised how hot these NBT head units can get after 10 minutes. I've installed a few of them for friends and used two in my car and they can get so hot to a point where you'll pull you hand away handing touching it it for 5 seconds.

My EU one rebooted on its own on a hot summer day and my US one did the same thing last week. I'm not sure if it's because of the retrofit but my CIC never rebooted on after having it for two years but it would never get nearly as hot as the NBT.
Online Store | Remote Coding Package| ID6 Retrofit for almost all F Chassis BMWs
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 09:33 AM   #5
danbl
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halsifer View Post
The Q10 cannot cause a reboot on your iDrive system. The bluetooth connections between a phone and the Head Unit is very minimal to what data the iDrive will gather.
I completely agree with the logic here (I work in IT myself), however it was fine with the iPhone. I did a full 2 hour journey with the iPhone connected, and then connected the Q10 and had the issue within 5 mins.

I agree it makes no sense, but it was definitely related.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 05:27 PM   #6
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbl View Post
I completely agree with the logic here (I work in IT myself), however it was fine with the iPhone. I did a full 2 hour journey with the iPhone connected, and then connected the Q10 and had the issue within 5 mins.

in iDrive, check Software update and advise us what your MN/TN level is.

Let us know in a month if the iDrive continues to work OK with both phones. If I had to guess, I'd point my finger at the harddisk in the iDrive. A bad sector can cause it to lockup and reboot. The iDrive has a watchdog circuit that looks for a lockup or unrecoverable fault and will reboot the system.
      06-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #7
bonabono
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2014 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by danbl View Post

The software algorithm that deals with transferring/syncing data over bluetooth could have crashed when it hit unhandled exception (Blackberry being unsupported device).

I had a similar situation once where the entire system restarted as soon as I turned on BMW Online app on split screen. I reasoned with it similarly - faulty codes with network connection.
Appreciate 0
      06-15-2014, 07:55 PM   #8
vithy
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 328xi

You might be right. I have a company blackberry (BB Q10). I didn't have it paired to my NBT. Today I decided to pair it as a second handset. Guess what, few min later, NBT rebooted. I haven't seen it reboot again, but then didn't drive with it much later. If I remember correctly, I think it happened to me before with BB Q10.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 12:58 PM   #9
danbl
United Kingdom
Rep

Well that didn't last long... rebooting started again today. Turned Q10 BT off and all is fine.

Vithy - I'd be interested to know if you're on OS 10.2.1.2941 on the Q10 (Settings > About)? This release only came out a few weeks ago so may be related. I'm meeting with our Blackberry Account manager on Wednesday so will bring this up.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2014, 01:03 PM   #10
danbl
United Kingdom
Rep

Just found this thread (via google, not forum search!) and it has a plausible sounding explanation 5 posts from the bottom

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...php?p=15620296
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2014, 10:02 AM   #11
MarcWinNJ
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '17 M4 Conv Comp, '01M Rdster

Garage List
I am having the same problem on my 2013 335ix. My Moto x work perfectly for a year then all of a sudden started to randomly disconnect from BT in the middle of a call. The phone would continue to connect/disconnect fem the car until finally the paired profile would delete itself int he car. I had Motorola exchange the phone for a brand new one under warranty and the same thing. I for Android 4.4.4 the other day and ti does the same thing. This time I would not allow it to access the address book and it seems to hold the connection to the car and not get stuck in an endless loop. I have over 3,000 contacts and do not know how to limit them in the cars address book. The reality of it is that unless that is easy to do I doubt i will go through and selectively pick contacts to sync. I may try disabling office and rebelling the address book but overall this shouldn't happen.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2015, 06:03 PM   #12
marshy16a
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition G82

I have just got a 420d (UK) and when my blackberry Z10 is connected and I am using Bluetooth it resets every 10 mins, tried my iPhone and it was fine for three hours straight.

Definelty the blackberry software crashing it, I did notice that there were some tutorials on my BB when I turned it on this morning so the software must have updated recently.

I'll take it in tomorrow as I assume it's a recent issue and maybe a few people have experienced it with blackberry being a popular business handset along with the BMWs themselves, frustrating one though.
Appreciate 0