E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > ConnectedDrive / I-Drive / Navigation Related Discussion > Next-gen iDrive, Voice Command UPDATE / UPGRADE!!

08-28-2009, 09:53 AM   #1
bonwit904
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Next-gen iDrive, Voice Command UPDATE / UPGRADE!!

http://www.worldcarfans.com/10906081...control-system

This updated voice command system appears to be running on standard updated iDrive hardware. As of now I do not believe there are any cars yet in the dealer with the updated system. I am going to go out on a limb and guess the system will not be part of an update with the "old" iDrive.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to what the the status will be for the "new" iDrive cars? I am hoping BMW will make this part of a standard software upgrade....
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #2
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwit904 View Post
http://www.worldcarfans.com/10906081...control-system

This updated voice command system appears to be running on standard updated iDrive hardware. As of now I do not believe there are any cars yet in the dealer with the updated system. I am going to go out on a limb and guess the system will not be part of an update with the "old" iDrive.

Does anyone have any knowledge as to what the the status will be for the "new" iDrive cars? I am hoping BMW will make this part of a standard software upgrade....
The HDD space is there and there is no need for new hardware at all for this new Voice Contro to be retrofitted as a firmware update in the MY2009 iDrive. The iDrive currently uses around 50% of the total HDD space (40GB out of 80GB) so this new and bigger capacity Voice Control software should have plenty of HDD space to be loaded in.

VW just introduced an updated firmware for their own current Nav system that includes a full Voice Activation feature, which was not available before. So I think that BMW will make this new feature a firmware update as well as a retrofit for the MY2009 iDrive.
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2009, 11:36 AM   #3
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: m

Garage List
OOhhhhh!!! Hopefully this will be a firmware update soon....as well as some bug fixes!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2009, 04:21 PM   #4
Estoril Sport
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Porsche 911.2 S4

Garage List
I was at the dealers today and I asked about the voice commend update, the good news is that it will be offered as an update, the bad news it will be a cost item and not free, even though my I only took delivery of a new e92 three weeks ago. They are going to call me as to when it will be available and at what cost.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 06:40 PM   #5
bonwit904
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M5C

Any update on the status of this? I think the 2010 cars are in stock at this point - do we know if the 2010 cars even have this upgraded functionality as of yet? Any imput from someone with specific knowledge from BMW as to what they plan to do would be greatly appreciated....I have not heard of a "fee based upgrade" in the US (at least on BMW under warranty) ever before...but would be open to that as well (provided the cost is reasonable).
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2009, 07:29 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bonwit904 View Post
Any update on the status of this? I think the 2010 cars are in stock at this point - do we know if the 2010 cars even have this upgraded functionality as of yet? Any imput from someone with specific knowledge from BMW as to what they plan to do would be greatly appreciated....I have not heard of a "fee based upgrade" in the US (at least on BMW under warranty) ever before...but would be open to that as well (provided the cost is reasonable).
Yes, MY2010 do have the new Voice Activation...
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #7
bsd107
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i E90

That article talks about new methods for entering addresses by voice. That sounds nice.

But they also mention that by "Spring 2010" you'll be able to search the "MP3 library" using this feature.

So the next question is, should we wait to pay for an upgrade until the full functionality is available????
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2009, 12:37 PM   #8
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bsd107 View Post
That article talks about new methods for entering addresses by voice. That sounds nice.

But they also mention that by "Spring 2010" you'll be able to search the "MP3 library" using this feature.

So the next question is, should we wait to pay for an upgrade until the full functionality is available????
Most probably the expected upgrade will be released for the '09 and current '10 iDrive CIC once all the new features are implemented for the LCI E92 showing up in March 2010 (03/10 production).
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
ct335i
BMW 4 LIFE
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY22 M3xDrive

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [0.00]
So I guess this update wouldn't apply to pre 2009 Cars. (2006-2008)?
      10-26-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct335i View Post
So I guess this update wouldn't apply to pre 2009 Cars. (2006-2008)?
No.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 10:54 AM   #11
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
They cant seriously charge for this can they? Come on now!
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:03 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prowess Symphony View Post
They cant seriously charge for this can they? Come on now!
The way BMW is decontenting their cars right now at least tells me that they could very much charge as well for this upgrade if they really need it to, especially when this is an off the shelf system from another company licensed by BMW.

Perhaps the current is not that great to begin with but it is not so broken or defective that it requires a warranty replacement.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:27 AM   #13
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Drives: 2009 E91
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

I agree with you, Technic.

This is a capacity I didn't think I was getting when I bought the car. BMW made no promises of any kind and I feel I am owed nothing here.

In fact, I think BMW is to be commended for allowing 2009'ers (if the rumors are, indeed, true) to have an easy upgrade path. Typically, most car companies prefer to tempt you to trade-in rather than make a small cost upgrade.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:30 AM   #14
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I agree with you, Technic.

This is a capacity I didn't think I was getting when I bought the car. BMW made no promises of any kind and I feel I am owed nothing here.

In fact, I think BMW is to be commended for allowing 2009'ers (if the rumors are, indeed, true) to have an easy upgrade path. Typically, most car companies prefer to tempt you to trade-in rather than make a small cost upgrade.
This is not like going from the 08 idrive to 09. This is still a 09 idrive which I paid for, with a few added features put in. Are they gonna charge me for the update that hopefully fixes all the crashing issues too?
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:50 AM   #15
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Right now BMW is really making it very difficult to anybody to update the 08 iDrive to the 09 iDrive, going as far as restricting the sale of the parts to perform the swap to only warranty replacements. There's nothing complicated or even special in the swap, just some enabling codes that BMW could easily provide if they really want it to and nothing else. Everything else is practically plug 'n play.

With all that said, things have changed in the way BMW is doing accessories, retrofits, upgrades. If trading your car for a new one is the only way to get these features, it is certain that BMW will not make it easy to get these features any other way. In the worst case, they will make it a dealer installed feature. But then it will require coding, something that dealers do not like to perform because it could go wrong.

So at the end of the day this is just a matter of wait and see if this is going to be a retrofit or an upgrade, free or for a fee or simply none of the above...
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:33 PM   #16
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep
Location: Where you can see through the people, but not the air (i.e., Los Angeles!)

Quote:
This is not like going from the 08 idrive to 09. This is still a 09 idrive which I paid for, with a few added features put in. Are they gonna charge me for the update that hopefully fixes all the crashing issues too?
I don't know what "crashing issues" you mean. My car turns 1 year old next month, and has 15,000 miles on it. I've never even once had the system "crash." There is something wrong if this is happening to you.

Basically, I think you are entitled to exactly what you paid for. You paid for a working NAV system that doesn't crash - and that is what you should get.

However, BMW has no responsibility to make sure drivers have access to every new feature. You didn't buy the car thinking you were going to get that new fancy voice recognition system. In fact, you probably didn't even know it was a possibility. There is no contractual agreement here.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:34 PM   #17
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
Right now BMW is really making it very difficult to anybody to update the 08 iDrive to the 09 iDrive, going as far as restricting the sale of the parts to perform the swap to only warranty replacements. There's nothing complicated or even special in the swap, just some enabling codes that BMW could easily provide if they really want it to and nothing else. Everything else is practically plug 'n play.

With all that said, things have changed in the way BMW is doing accessories, retrofits, upgrades. If trading your car for a new one is the only way to get these features, it is certain that BMW will not make it easy to get these features any other way. In the worst case, they will make it a dealer installed feature. But then it will require coding, something that dealers do not like to perform because it could go wrong.

So at the end of the day this is just a matter of wait and see if this is going to be a retrofit or an upgrade, free or for a fee or simply none of the above...
I'll bet none of the above. I don't think BMW has much motivation to help drivers upgrade to features that are available on newer model years.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:48 PM   #18
deletedelete
Major General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kilgore Trout View Post
I don't know what "crashing issues" you mean. My car turns 1 year old next month, and has 15,000 miles on it. I've never even once had the system "crash." There is something wrong if this is happening to you.

Basically, I think you are entitled to exactly what you paid for. You paid for a working NAV system that doesn't crash - and that is what you should get.

However, BMW has no responsibility to make sure drivers have access to every new feature. You didn't buy the car thinking you were going to get that new fancy voice recognition system. In fact, you probably didn't even know it was a possibility. There is no contractual agreement here.
I didnt say it was a contractual obligation. But on a $50k car, when they tweak a feature you currently own, they should give you the update. Its just a software update man, not a full retrofit or anything crazy. Go in for service and they should just update to the latest software. Its like saying you should pay for the lagfix ecu updates.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 02:55 PM   #19
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
I didnt say it was a contractual obligation. But on a $50k car, when they tweak a feature you currently own, they should give you the update. Its just a software update man, not a full retrofit or anything crazy. Go in for service and they should just update to the latest software. Its like saying you should pay for the lagfix ecu updates.
The problem here is that this is not a fix, it is in the best case an upgrade and in the worst case a completely new Voice Activation feature.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 05:21 PM   #20
DukeBlue
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW 328i sedan

I've been searching the Internet for any information regarding the new Voice Activation features in the 2010 iDrive, and there's not much out there. Technic, you seem to have some insider info.

You said that MY 2010 cars have the new features, but I can confirm that my 2 week old 2010 328i sedan does *NOT* have the new voice activation features. The features are described in the 2010 owner's manual, but they just simply aren't in my car. From what I can tell, the car has the 2009.2 software version.

Do you know if I'll be eligible for a free upgrade to the 2010 software since I have a 2010 MY car? Are you really sure it's out? My dealer asked the technician about it and all they knew was that there might be some upgrades available in the future.

I actually did know about these features before purchasing the car and I was really hoping to have them. Thanks for the help.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 06:12 PM   #21
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DukeBlue View Post
I've been searching the Internet for any information regarding the new Voice Activation features in the 2010 iDrive, and there's not much out there. Technic, you seem to have some insider info.

You said that MY 2010 cars have the new features, but I can confirm that my 2 week old 2010 328i sedan does *NOT* have the new voice activation features. The features are described in the 2010 owner's manual, but they just simply aren't in my car. From what I can tell, the car has the 2009.2 software version.

Do you know if I'll be eligible for a free upgrade to the 2010 software since I have a 2010 MY car? Are you really sure it's out? My dealer asked the technician about it and all they knew was that there might be some upgrades available in the future.

I actually did know about these features before purchasing the car and I was really hoping to have them. Thanks for the help.
What I know is what I read in the forums and what my local dealer tells me when I bother them...

What's the production date of your 328i (it is posted in the driver's doorjam label)? There is at least one MY2010 E90 M3 in the M3post.com forum with the new iDrive Voice Activation feature; I specifically asked that question and the owner confirmed it.

The only thing that I can think of is that your 328i is an extremely early 09/09 production with an '09 iDrive software leftover. Which definitely is a bad/good news situation: it is bad news for you for awhile until a software update correct that mistake (it is a mistake -no doubt about it- as it is posted in your owners manual as the new Voice Activation), and it is good news for everybody with a 2009 iDrive as definitely a software update should be coming to correct this particular issue.
Appreciate 0
      10-26-2009, 11:57 PM   #22
Kilgore Trout
Chicks dig wagons!
Rep

Quote:

It isn't a feature you currently own. You don't have the voice activation software. That is a new feature on the 2010. You and I didn't pay for it, and it wasn't part of our deal. We're not entitled.

I do agree with you that the system software should be updated to correct errors, bugs, etc. But, that is a different issue.

4, 8, 15, 16, 23, 42
Appreciate 0