E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > E92 coupe: LCi & Pre-LCI...what models and trim differences?

08-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #1
e9duece
Rep
Drives: ae86

Cool E92 coupe: LCi & Pre-LCI...what models and trim differences?

Hi there.. new to BMWs... I'm thinking about an e92 but...
I would like to know what model options there are for the LCI and pre LCI as far as engine and interior combinations so I know what to look for... thanks for the help in advance...
Appreciate 1
Snertz85.50
      08-13-2013, 11:13 AM   #2
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 11:58 AM   #3
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

There are some differences. I've listed the ones I can think of and that aren't apparent from the configurator on BMW's website.
  • Pre-LCI cars' front end is styled a bit differently. The bumper is slightly more rounded on pre-LCI cars.
  • Pre-LCI cars have several mostly irrelevant bits:
    -Flashlight in the glove box
    -Chilled cup holder in the armrest
  • Exterior colors: vermillion red is an LCI color; sapphire grey metallic is a pre-LCI color
  • Interior colors: cream beige and coral red were exclusive to the coupes in the three series, although coral red is/was available for the one series also.
  • Some E92s came standard with sport suspension ('07 for sure, don't know about the rest)
  • iPod hookup and Bluetooth were optional on the pre-LCI cars
  • Engine: the 328i carried the same engine throughout the E92 production as far as I know. The 335 went from N54 to N55 and became a tick or two slower in 0-60 speed. The N54 is somewhat notorious for its HPFP, turbo waste gate and water pump rates of failure. The first two of those things have extended new car warranty coverage beyond that of all the other parts of the car. The N55 is subject to the same issues, but slightly less likely to suffer them, especially the first two. If you find yourself driving around and smell antifreeze, head straight to the dealer. Do not pass "Go." Do not collect $200.
  • Headlights - Pre-lci I think had xenon lights standard on the 335i, but not on the 328i. LCI I believe saw xenon lights become standard on both.
  • iDrive -- iDrive and Navigation features and hardware changed sometime after the LCI, but if memory serves, it may have not have been applicable to all LCI cars. (???) The change occurred sometime around 2009-2010.

Having said all that, first an foremost, if you are buying a used one (which I assume is the case as it really won't matter if you are buying a new one), buy whatever one you can get that is newest and has the lowest mileage and that is also in your budget. You are buying a car, not car options and colors. No E92 is worth spending more than you have planed; they won't increase in value, and outside of BMW junkies and snobs, nobody will see one BMW E92 as different from another.

Overall, you should prefer N55 motors over N54 motors if you are going with the 335i, which between it and a 328i, isn't what I'd encourage anyone to buy without a clear need for a 335i instead of a 328i. If you do intend to buy a 335i, do yourself a favor and only buy one that is a CPO car.

Good luck and all the best.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:04 PM   #4
kdbryce
I have to return some video tapes
United_States
Rep
Drives: e70 X5M

pre-LCI is 2007-2010

LCI is 2011-2013

in the US only two engines are available in e92 guise - 328 3.0 straight six and 335 3.0 turbo straight six (both of which are offered in RWD or AWD)

With the LCI came a new engine for the 335. A twin scroll single turbo (n55) replaced the twin turbo (n54) starting in 2011

other than that, the only differences are aesthetic. New headlights, taillights, kidney grilles, and bumpers were introduced

as far as iDrive, an upgraded model was introduced in 2009 with better graphics, a new controller, and more functions. this software is frequently updated.

2009 saw the introduction of the msport package in the US

2009+ AWD models are now called 328i xDrive instead of 328xi

2010 models got new mirrors which are now seen on LCI models

as far as trim differences:

base: crappy seats, crappy wheels, crappy suspension (i think), silver window trim

sport: sport seats (a must), sport wheels, sport suspension, paddle shifters, black window trim (2009+)

m-sport (2009-2013) aero kit, additional oil cooler, m-sport wheels, increased top speed limiter, and everything else in the sport package

I'm probably forgetting something, but that's most of it

oh and to clear up what someone else said, all e92s have xenon headlamps with angel eye daytime running lights
      08-13-2013, 01:29 PM   #5
KwlAznKid
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW/MERCEDES/PORSCHE

this thread turned out surprisingly nicer than I expected lol, are we growing up?!?!?!
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 01:35 PM   #6
straightcashhomie
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
There are some differences. I've listed the ones I can think of and that aren't apparent from the configurator on BMW's website.
  • Pre-LCI cars' front end is styled a bit differently. The bumper is slightly more rounded on pre-LCI cars.
  • Exterior colors: vermillion red is an LCI color; sapphire grey metallic is a pre-LCI color
  • Interior colors: cream beige and coral red were exclusive to the coupes in the three series, although coral red is/was available for the one series also.
  • Some E92s came standard with sport suspension ('07 for sure, don't know about the rest)
  • Engine: the 328i carried the same engine throughout the E92 production as far as I know. The 335 went from N54 to N55 and became a tick or two slower in 0-60 speed. The N54 is somewhat notorious for its HPFP, turbo waste gate and water pump rates of failure. The first two of those things have extended new car warranty coverage beyond that of all the other parts of the car. The N55 is subject to the same issues, but slightly less likely to suffer them, especially the first two. If you find yourself driving around and smell antifreeze, head straight to the dealer. Do not pass "Go." Do not collect $200.
  • Headlights - Pre-lci I think had xenon lights standard on the 335i, but not on the 328i. LCI I believe saw xenon lights become standard on both.
  • iDrive -- iDrive and Navigation features and hardware changed sometime after the LCI, but if memory serves, it may have not have been applicable to all LCI cars. (???) The change occurred sometime around 2009-2010.

Having said all that, first an foremost, if you are buying a used one (which I assume is the case as it really won't matter if you are buying a new one), buy whatever one you can get that is newest and has the lowest mileage and that is also in your budget. You are buying a car, not car options and colors. No E92 is worth spending more than you have planed; they won't increase in value, and outside of BMW junkies and snobs, nobody will see one BMW E92 as different from another.

Overall, you should prefer N55 motors over N54 motors if you are going with the 335i, which between it and a 328i, isn't what I'd encourage anyone to buy without a clear need for a 335i instead of a 328i. If you do intend to buy a 335i, do yourself a favor and only buy one that is a CPO car.

N54 > N55
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:00 PM   #7
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by straightcashhomie View Post
N54 > N55
lol I was waiting for someone to say this ^. I guess every thread on this forum is inherently a N54 V N55 thread...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 02:24 PM   #8
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
N54 > N55
I think that's a rather myopic take on the matter, really. For the OP's stated purpose, evaluating used cars, I wouldn't at all agree with that assessment. If it's a matter of buying either new, I could see some merit in the point, but not enough to recommend an N55 to folks who haven't a very specific reason to prefer the N54 such as having a car devoted to track use or having some very specific engine modification they intend to implement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skhmund View Post
lol I was waiting for someone to say this ^. I guess every thread on this forum is inherently a N54 V N55 thread...
I don't think I'd go so far as to say that, but there's no dearth of threads in which the topic appears.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Last edited by tony20009; 08-13-2013 at 02:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #9
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by KwlAznKid View Post
this thread turned out surprisingly nicer than I expected lol, are we growing up?!?!?!
I thought the exact same. They actually broke it down to the last difference.

GL OP!
      08-13-2013, 06:34 PM   #10
mashimarho
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 & F80 M3 & G82 M4

Garage List
I have an N55 and I love it. You get more power and options in the N54 motors, but I thi k the N55 sounds more... Throaty and refined.
More modding options for 2007-2010 models.
      08-13-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
e9duece
Rep

Wow!
By FAR... this has been the most helpful and informative thread I've EVER been a part of/initiated...

damn...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:40 PM   #12
e9duece
Rep

I like the preLCI.. not sure which motor yet... as far as options.. I can go either way on the NAV or not.. grey exterior on black interior, manual trans for sure...

suggestions?

Thanks..
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 06:54 PM   #13
djjasper
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i 6MT

A handy guide:
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:36 PM   #14
NocturnalEVO
Stock
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 335i

Quote:
[*]Pre-LCI cars have several mostly irrelevant bits:
For real? is that only on the e90? or e92 as well?
'06 R6 Anniversary Edition (sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 07:44 PM   #15
DML
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 Heritage

Quote:
N54 > N55
Oh yeah
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:07 PM   #16
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NocturnalEVO View Post
For real? is that only on the e90? or e92 as well?
Actually, my comments were regarding the E92 not the E90. I would assume it's so for the E90, but I don't know for sure as I own an E92.

Sorry to have been unclear.

All the best.

Appreciate 0
      08-13-2013, 10:41 PM   #17
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9duece View Post
I like the preLCI.. not sure which motor yet... as far as options.. I can go either way on the NAV or not.. grey exterior on black interior, manual trans for sure...

suggestions?

Thanks..
Choose the car that's a better car, regardless of what options it has or what colors it comes in. If two used cars truly are equal in quality (service, repair and accident history, mileage, structural condition, mechanical condition, physical condition, interior condition, CPO vs. non CPO, etc.) then pick the one having options and colors you desire most.

You'll have to do your own prioritization regarding options and colors, but I can offer what I would find most important to me and why. Others will feel differently, agreeing for different reasons and disagreeing for different reasons.
  • Nav -- I like having nav on my F10. I wish I had it on my E92. The pre-LCI nav isn't as easy to operate as the next generation nav that was offered on the E9x cars, but if you get nav, you also get iDrive and that means you get a much easier to operate tool for setting the car's settings and for operating the radio. Also, iDrive cars seem able to access HD2 and HD3 stations. In contrast, I have yet to find a way to do access those stations without iDrive.
  • Interior color -- I went with red. Primarily because I wanted red and that wasn't negotiable for me. Secondarily, because it was sold only on the 3er coupe at the time. Outside that, get a color that you at least don't mind, but otherwise don't sweat it too much. Personally, I don't care for the lighter colors for the obvious reason -- ease of keeping them clean -- but also because when one gets grey or beige, the whole interior is that color rather than, say, if one gets brown or red whereby the interior is two colors brown/black or red black. Black, for me is the color I don't want, per se, but that I could live with. And, truth be told, if I were seeking a used car and the best one available to me at the time had a beige or grey interior, I'd still buy that car before I bought a lesser quality car.
  • Transmission -- I'm not going down this road again. More than enough has been said about the pros and cons of manuals vs. automatics on this forum. Search. If you have no preference, buy the better car regardless of the transmission. The only thing worth noting was that on most E9x cars, the automatic was an extra cost option, so among equivalent cars that differ only by the transmission, the manual should cost about $500 less.
  • Other options: I don't know if such a car exists, but you'll definitely want to have Bluetooth if you should go with a pre-LCI car. And if you have an iPod/iPhone, you'll want the car to have the iPod connection.
One thing I forgot to mention earlier:

Radio: The pre-LCI 335i came standard with the Logic7 radio and the 328i did not. (That doesn't mean you have to buy a 335i.) IMO the Logic7 radio is worth having because that thing seriously thumps. IMO, the Logic7 radio is quite acceptable to most non-audiophile/-audio nerds and I have my doubts about how well integrated an aftermarket stereo will looking in the E9x center control panel. The standard stereo system in the 328i is probably fine too for quite a lot of folks. If volume is your thing, it's worth noting that you get more volume with the thing connected to your iPod than you do over the radio. I don't know why that is, but it's an observation I've made several times in my daughter's E91 (LCI). If you are picky about car stereo systems, it won't matter which stereo the car comes with for you'll likely replace a variety of the components, and if you do want to do that, start with the tweeters, they are the weakest element in the Logic7 system. Your ears will tell you what do.

All the best

Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 10:25 AM   #18
e9duece
Rep

WOW...
This thread keeps getting better.. so much helpful info..

Thanks again everyone!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 03:17 PM   #19
e9duece
Rep

Quote:

So I'm aiming for a 2010 PreLCI (which is the last year for those, correct?) Now why is the N54>N55? I'm thinking of buying my car @ Carmax because my friend is a tech there and I want to get the extended warranty. Also what's a good used price range for these? Whats the highest mileage to stay away from?

Thanks for all your help!
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2013, 04:47 PM   #20
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by e9duece View Post
So I'm aiming for a 2010 PreLCI (which is the last year for those, correct?) Now why is the N54>N55? I'm thinking of buying my car @ Carmax because my friend is a tech there and I want to get the extended warranty. Also what's a good used price range for these? Whats the highest mileage to stay away from?

Thanks for all your help!
  • Not sure about the final year before the LCI. I believe someone above indicated that the LCI happened in the middle of the 2010 model year.
  • I didn't say N54>N55. I said the reverse. The reason I said that is because the N55 has fewer problems than the N54. The N54 is a couple ticks faster in the straight line, but that about it as goes just pure speed.
  • Price range: you'll have do to do your own research. Use sites like Galves (wholesale value), Kelly Blue Book, Edmund's, Consumer Reports, BMW USA.
  • Mileage: 10K/per year is considered average mileage. Ideally, when buying a used car, try to get one having fewer miles than that given its age.
All the best.

Appreciate 0
      09-20-2013, 11:42 AM   #21
e9duece
Rep

Quote:
  • Not sure about the final year before the LCI. I believe someone above indicated that the LCI happened in the middle of the 2010 model year.
  • I didn't say N54>N55. I said the reverse. The reason I said that is because the N55 has fewer problems than the N54. The N54 is a couple ticks faster in the straight line, but that about it as goes just pure speed.
  • Price range: you'll have do to do your own research. Use sites like Galves (wholesale value), Kelly Blue Book, Edmund's, Consumer Reports, BMW USA.
  • Mileage: 10K/per year is considered average mileage. Ideally, when buying a used car, try to get one having fewer miles than that given its age.
All the best.
Thanks for your help Tony. I guess I'll aim for 2009 335. Was the AWD offered in that model? Thoughts on the AWD? AWD 6 speed offered? I'm definitely going to be meticulous when I pick up car and take it to get inspected so that the extended warranty covers the little things.
Appreciate 0
      09-23-2013, 01:34 PM   #22
e9duece
Rep

Can anyone verify or give info as far as the last years for pre-LCI?
Appreciate 0